• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Just gonna talk about the Ice Climbers here. I believe most of us have come to the collective opinion that Rosalina is fair enough grounds to say that the issues with the Ice Climbers have been overcome. The Luma operates, at bare minimum, in a similar fashion to Nana/Popo, which resolves that issue in most of our minds. That was the issue that most of us jumped to when that came out, but I've also seen an argument for simply having 8 Ice Climbers on such a small screen. It got me thinking a bit more, but ultimately, I decided on my own that Rosalina, again, solved this issue. Having 4 Roslalinas and 4 Lumas, to me, sounds about equivalent to 8 Ice Climbers.

And we've also been told that there would be the same roster on both versions, which we've known for a long, long time.
Thanks for clearing that up. That specific sentence about 8 IC's being on a small screen helped me remember the issue with them entirely. I was content with Rosalina's duo meta & more satisfied with how they fight in their own game-play rather than IC's duo team-play. IC's are retro & I'm okay with seeing return, & to begin an ICs discussion I'm ready to express how much it would mean to us Smashers that their Grab game would be tweaked to have grab throwing combo's but not an infinite chain grab / Wobbling.

52 Characters, a random slot, and a DLC slot.

Who thinks this is quite possible? Who'd be happy?
Approves the DLC newcomer slot, which would open down at the bottom displaying all your DLC, 52 is a satisfying number.
:4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 5 Hyesz!

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I double-checked that article that said that CoroCoro.TV will give us live the full character and stage roster of Smash 4. Of course, since CoroCoro stated that only the stuff wed know up to that point in time would be shown, we' be grateful just to see a newcomer trailer. Personally, I am expecting at least to learn more in the ways of customizable moves as well as some of the unannounced Final Smashes of already revealed newcomers (if Famitsu doesn't cover them; we now know that Robin's Final Smash roughly translates to Double).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
But weren't you arguing that clones would not steal the spot of a unique character? If so then my argument is that while there isn't a clone taking anyone's spot, a whole bunch of clones still would.
The only reason Melee had such a huge saturation of clones is to fill up the roster, Sakurai said that the 5 last minute clones took Dedede's spot, so 1 unique characters equals about 5 clones. Brawl introduced what? Lucas, Toon Link (which is just Young Link) and very arguably Wolf. That's 3 clones if we're being nice, not enough to take up a unique character slot, and only two of them were added late in development, so fair to say they didn't take up a unique character slot. Of course it remains to see how many clones we're getting this time, but I think it's fairly safe to say they're just going to add them when they don't have enough time for anymore unique characters, thus clones remain as bonus characters, just look how hastily thrown together Lucina is.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Also, guys, what about your opinion on what I mentioned earlier in this thread?

Nobody has anything to say regarding this?
I do not find it weird in the slightest as both are the top contenders (in my subjective opinion) for the playable representative. Naturally, revealing one would confirm that the other is not playable.

The only reason Melee had such a huge saturation of clones is to fill up the roster, Sakurai said that the 5 last minute clones took Dedede's spot, so 1 unique characters equals about 5 clones. Brawl introduced what? Lucas, Toon Link (which is just Young Link) and very arguably Wolf. That's 3 clones if we're being nice, not enough to take up a unique character slot, and only two of them were added late in development, so fair to say they didn't take up a unique character slot. Of course it remains to see how many clones we're getting this time, but I think it's fairly safe to say they're just going to add them when they don't have enough time for anymore unique characters, thus clones remain as bonus characters, just look how hastily thrown together Lucina is.
Albeit, Brawl experienced some time constraints and Sonic was quite the late addition. Instead of clones, it is theorized that we were to just get Mewtwo. It really depends on where Smash 4 is on the "schedule."

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Well, at this point, there are a number of things that we still don't know about such as the situation on whether Impa and Ghirahim are made as playable characters, assist trophies or a collectable trophy.

I'm pretty sure we'll find out soon enough.

EDIT: Also to add, even though I do feel that Ganandorf is very likely to return, I generally do not know if we can expect a 5th rep from the Zelda series. But who knows?

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

I'm not so sure what you want us to say. As I'm sure you know, many have speculated that they could be playable. Maybe they're being held off as secret newcomers, or to be shown off in a trailer later. At the same time, it's very possible that they don't play a role in the game at all. Maybe one or both will be an Assist. Maybe they'll just be regular trophies. Stickers perhaps? It's really difficult to discern at this point in time what their true fate will be. I don't think it's weird that we're still left in the Dark about certain characters. I think it's around this time where we just have to play the waiting game until next month.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
How about you guys talk about Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr. In a Clown Car, or Dr. Mario returning with a revamped moveset?
I still have hopes for Jr, just not the clown car please. I'd rather have him as a semi clone with Clown Car as Final Smash or something than a moveset like that.

IDark Pit sex..
Aren't you a kinky one?

Plot twist: Ridley will be teased again and they will only reveal the starting roster :troll:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

I'm also curious on this, Morbid saying one as playable de-confirming the other seems legit. AT status is a very high possibility for both of them, AT's like the playable roster size, is also increasing at a steady rate.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

52 Characters, a random slot, and a DLC slot.

Who thinks this is quite possible? Who'd be happy?
I'd be pretty pleased with this as the DLC options make it for me(still hoping it's a thing since many people seem to be putting my personal desires as DLC). I don't really see Chrom as even a possible DLC though. I'd also prefer Vaati/Impa to Ghirahim, but I'd take him happily over any other Zelda candidate.

Wait...a DLC slot? Only one of those will be available or...?

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I'd be pretty pleased with this as the DLC options make it for me(still hoping it's a thing since many people seem to be putting my personal desires as DLC). I don't really see Chrom as even a possible DLC though. I'd also prefer Vaati/Impa to Ghirahim, but I'd take him happily over any other Zelda candidate.

Wait...a DLC slot? Only one of those will be available or...?
Sorry. I imagine that it will be like in a lot of games where you click on the DLC slot and there will be a scroll menu for the characters. But DLC is one slot, but multiple characters in it.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Arg, is it weird that I'm getting more anxious for veterans than I am newcomers? I mean, I got my #1 most wanted already (praise Robin), but still....

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I'm not so sure either Impa or Ghirahim will be an AT, four seems like a bit for one series in comparison with what we got in Brawl.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Speaking of ATs, could you imagine if Shulk was confirmed as an assist trophy or just a trophy. The internet would explode in anger and whining, and it would slaughter nearly every single character leak out there more than Chrom's dischromfirmation did.

I should still be hopeful for Shulk though.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of ATs, could you imagine if Shulk was confirmed as an assist trophy or just a trophy. The internet would explode in anger and whining, and it would slaughter nearly every single character leak out there more than Chrom's dischromfirmation did.

I should still be hopeful for Shulk though.
Why would they announce Shulk when it's really Reyn's Time to Shine?:troll: But yeah, the internet would explode if that happened.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Just a though, and keep in mind that I really don't have much of an idea of who's popular in which part of the world, but might Sakurai be saving most of the characters that are more or less only popular in the west for after the game is released in Japan? No sense in revealing characters that won't create any hype in the country that gets the game first.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Just a though, and keep in mind that I really don't have much of an idea of who's popular in which part of the world, but might Sakurai be saving most of the characters that are more or less only popular in the west for after the game is released in Japan? No sense in revealing characters that won't create any hype in the country that gets the game first.
But by then we'd probably already know about them :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's something somewhat fresh to discuss.

Scenario: Muddy Mole makes it in as a playable character, focused around digging underground and setting up traps with the iron ball. He's essentially focused around stage control.

Reaction?

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW

Scenario: Muddy Mole makes it in as a playable character, focused around digging underground and setting up traps with the iron ball. He's essentially focused around stage control.

Reaction?
I would probably prefer Resetti as a playable character honestly, but Muddy be cool for me too.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000

Reaction?
This reminds me a little of Rocket Racoon from UmvC3.He sounds fun to play as though.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So... just dropping by to say Paper Mario and King K. Rool should totally be playable.:rolleyes::rotfl:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Reaction?
Mostly indifference. I'm not familiar with the character at all, but it sounds like it would be a unique addition. I wouldn't feel strongly for it either way.

If I were to give it a score in terms of how much I'd like to see that, I'd give it 50%.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mostly indifference. I'm not familiar with the character at all, but it sounds like it would be a unique addition. I wouldn't feel strongly for it either way.

If I were to give it a score in terms of how much I'd like to see that, I'd give it 50%.
Quite fair. If you want to get more familiar, though, perhaps check out his thread? :D

Fun fact: The Muddy Mole thread is the third oldest character thread, behind only the Geno and Krystal threads.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Reaction?
This is a trick question. You're only trying to find out who here is awesome enough to have played Mole Mania.

Well, lucky for you, I have, and Muddy Mole would be fantastic.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I am very curious about how exactly that happened.
Well, it all started in June of 2012, when the Smash 4 section went from one small thread in the General Brawl section to a booming metropolis in its own subforum.

During that time, people were somewhat apprehensive to post, not knowing the mold for character threads. I saw the Geno thread pop up, and quickly made a Muddy thread. Sadly, the Krystal thread ninja'd me for second place. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
So... just dropping by to say Paper Mario and King K. Rool should totally be playable.:rolleyes::rotfl:
I am just dropping by your drop by to say that Paper Mario and Dark Pit should totally be playable. :awesome::chuckle:

This is a trick question. You're only trying to find out who here is awesome enough to have played Mole Mania.

Well, lucky for you, I have, and Muddy Mole would be fantastic.
I am not awesome enough; however, I would not be opposed to Muddy Mole either. I have a thing for Moles.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake

Reaction?
That sounds pretty cool actually, id be fine with it. Although i am curious as to how sakurai would make him look, i think he needs a slight design update because the vibe i get from looking at him is an underground blind winnie the pooh.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

Reaction?
Ahhhh I looked up Muddy Mole & noticed his GameBoy Color game debut was developed by Nintendo EAD, that pleases me. He seems interesting he could have a move-set worthy to mention & develop for. A character like that for only focusing around his stage control, he sounds more like a Stage hazard within a stage than playable status. Or for support, he'd be an AT, there's always that to show Nintendo can bring oldies into modern game-play.

My reaction step by step:

• Not knowing who Muddly Mole was:confused:
  • Researching about him learning the short-story of his background & realizing EAD developed the GB game:surprised:
  • Happy knowing EAD developed that game giving me a reason to play it:)
  • How he's implemented as a playable character overall but now knows he'd be revolved around stage-play & may be better off as a stage element or AT:ohwell:
On this topic of moles & digging. . .Jill the Drill Dozer & Knuckles the Echidna?. . .Anyone?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom