• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
you know what? I seriously think we're getting black mage or white mage for 3rd party newcomer thanks to the last pic of the day

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I seriously doubt Dr. Mario would return with a revamped moveset. If he returns, which I highly doubt, he'd be nearly identical to his Melee incarnation.

Bowser Jr. fighting in the Koopa Clown Car is very unlikely in my eyes. Neat idea, but that sounds more like Final Smash material. I want Jr. playable, but I don't think he's very likely sadly.

I'll pass on the Duck Hunt Dog. I'd rather just see a Duck Hunt stage or Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Would you rather?

A: Get 15 Nintendo characters, of your choosing, but they are all Captain Falcon alternates. (Same stats and everything as CF.)
or
B: Get 1 Nintendo character, of your choosing, but they are a clone of any confirmed character already. (Lucina type clone where stats vary a little from the base character.) And describe who of who.

A: 1 new original third party character, your choice, but have to cut 5 of the NEWLY announced Smash Bros 4 challengers, your choice. (Who and who?)
or
B: Keep with the current status quo/ Sakurai's Smash 4 game.

A: King K. Rool and Ridley (Both original characters)
or
B: Dark Pit, Paper Mario, Sceptile, Shulk (All original characters)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The talk about Dark Pit is annoying...

Why a boring clone or semi clone, if we can get a unique Mewtwo, King K.Rool, Ridley, Shulk or Isaac? Even if Dark Pit is unique, the other 5 deserves it more.

Mewtwo: Most requested Veteran. Since brawl!!!
King K.Rool: DK deserves third rep more than KI. Highly requested.
Ridley: Most requested Newcomer. Since... Ever!!!
Shulk: Highly requested.
Isaac: Highly requested.

Dark Pit would make a huge waste of slot.
I am certain that there is going to be; at the very least, one more clone on the final roster. It is not so much about selecting unique characters over clones, I am sure that most everyone would enjoy that sentiment. Clones are there to pad the roster, in Melee, apparently we were to have Dedede or five to six clones. Sometimes, it is inevitable for developmental time constraints.

Secondly, if Dark Pit is unique, I fail to comprehend the problem. I thought you wanted a unique character.

Perhaps he would.

We're still discussing Dark Pit? Next I'm gonna hear is Dark Pit sex
Dark Pit sex.

Sakurai's an artist, I'm an artist, and for the sake of this argument, let's say you're an artist too. I love your work by the way.

We've been tasked to design an eclectic and exciting cast of characters. Let's start with basic sketches, no colors yet.

Draw Marth. Now draw Lucina. Inspired by the original, slender, long hair, different costume but with allusions to her predecessor. A good pair.

Draw Link. Now Draw Toon Link. He's a different take on the original, but goofy and youthful. He isn't meant to be as serious, but still just as fun. Give him some cat eyes.

Draw Zelda. Now draw Sheik. We know it's the same girl, but the design doesn't scream that. There's a different stance and attitude to her.

Draw Mario. Now draw Paper Mario. Similar to the Link/Toon Link deal. One's a simpler, goofy, alternate version with an arsenal of accesories that make him stand out from the original. Now draw Dr. Mario. Okay, so you just put a coat on Mario. Scratch that.

Draw Fox. Now draw Falco. Haha. Sweet.

Now Draw Pit. And then Dark Pit. You know you're drawing the same character over and over again, right?
Fine, just color them, we'll make it a palette swap.

View attachment 21075

Also, Don't Google Pit/Dark Pit. Eww.
You forgot the reddish brown eyes. :shades:

Here's a question for all you wonderful smashers:

What other clones, besides Lucina, do you think will be playable?
Dark Pit, Black Shadow, and Dr. Mario.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Would you rather?

A: Get 15 Nintendo characters, of your choosing, but they are all Captain Falcon alternates. (Same stats and everything as CF.)
or
B: Get 1 Nintendo character, of your choosing, but they are a clone of any confirmed character already. (Lucina type clone where stats vary a little from the base character.) And describe who of who.

A: 1 new original third party character, your choice, but have to cut 5 of the new Sm4sh challengers, your choice. (Who and who?)
or

or
1. A/B both sound meh

2. B.

3. A.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Tom Nook as a Villager clone.
Don't care for too many other 3rd party character to cut so many confirmed characters. Sorry M. Bison.
BIAS BIAS BIAS PAPER MARIO BIAS BIAS BIAS

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Would you rather?

or

A: 1 new original third party character, your choice, but have to cut 5 of the new Sm4sh challengers, your choice. (Who and who?)
or

or
1. B, Impa and Shiek (first thing that came to mind)
2. B
3. A

Also, am I missing something? The last pic of the day was this, if I recall correctly:

So where does everyone think that more 3rd party characters is a possibility, based on the Game Boy stage?

Morbi

Scavenger
Would you rather?

or

or

or
I would prefer to have the 15 characters over the one character; as Captain Falcon is my secondary, that should not be a problem. I would not mind characters such as Black Shadow or Hades overtaking Ganondorf's move-set, he is basically a Falcon clone in Melee. So this would please me to no end.

Ash Williams would be my third party character as he is the best fictional character in history. I suppose I would replace R.O.B., Game & Watch, Mario, Link, and Sonic.

I prefer Dark Pit over the ever-so prominent Ridley and King K. Rool.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer to have the 15 characters over the one character; as Captain Falcon is my secondary, that should not be a problem. I would not mind characters such as Black Shadow or Hades overtaking Ganondorf's move-set, he is basically a Falcon clone in Melee. So this would please me to no end.

Ash Williams would be my third party character as he is the best fictional character in history. I suppose I would replace R.O.B., Game & Watch, Mario, Link, and Sonic.

I prefer Dark Pit over the ever-so prominent Ridley and King K. Rool.
Sorry, for question 2, I meant 5 of the New Smash 4 challengers. That change your answer?

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Would you rather?

or

or

or
a b a

Morbi

Scavenger
Sorry, for question 2, I meant 5 of the New Smash 4 challengers. That change your answer?
It was my fault, I did not read correctly.

It changes my answer to an extent, as I have to cut different characters. :troll:

It does; however, make it much more difficult, I was avoiding those characters as I have yet to try them: :4mii::4pacman::4palutena::4villager::4megaman:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Which will be the ultimate downfall for pretty much everyone that rejects reality.

You'd think people would of learned by now, but no that would make too much sense...
You mean like how some people questioned the absolutely real Gematsu leak due to it having outdated information, meaning it may not be 100% accurate?

D

Deleted member

Would you rather?

or

A: 1 new original third party character, your choice, but have to cut 5 of the NEWLY announced Smash Bros 4 challengers, your choice. (Who and who?)
or

or
A-15 captain falcons over 1 practically the same as another any day
B-Not worth the cuts
B-I prefer Shulk over those two anyway, plus three others I like.

Morbi

Scavenger
You mean like how some people questioned the absolutely real Gematsu leak due to it having outdated information, meaning it may not be 100% accurate?
The problem with reality is that it is perceived quite differently on an individual by individual basis. Some seem to be laboring under the delusion that everything they believe is the truth, a reality. Anyone that does not agree is incorrect, naturally. Only time can tell "the reality of the situation."

It is observable within speculation itself. My reality was that Robin was going to be revealed over Chrom because my perception was different. The same goes for Dark Pit as of current; however, no one can determine whether or not Dark Pit is reality or if supporting him is denying reality. Only time will tell. If I am wrong, under that definition, I was just denying said reality. If I am correct, I suppose I was realistic. It is really a hind-sight test fallaciously used in fore-sight.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The problem with reality is that it is perceived quite differently on an individual by individual basis. Some seem to be laboring under the delusion that everything they believe is the truth, a reality. Anyone that does not agree is incorrect, naturally. Only time can tell "the reality of the situation."

It is observable within speculation itself. My reality was that Robin was going to be revealed over Chrom because my perception was different. The same goes for Dark Pit as of current; however, no one can determine whether or not Dark Pit is reality or if supporting him is denying reality. Only time will tell. If I am wrong, under that definition, I was just denying said reality. If I am correct, I suppose I was realistic. It is really a hind-sight test fallaciously used in fore-sight.
This is pretty much why I hate the use of the word "denial" in speculation. We're talking about an unknown future; even things that seem highly likely to happen are not set in stone. You really can't be in "denial" about something that may or may not happen. For examples, Robin supporters were supposedly in "denial," but then it turned out Robin was playable. The fact is, we don't know what the reality of the situation is, so saying that anyone is in denial about an unknown is simply illogical.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is pretty much why I hate the use of the word "denial" in speculation. We're talking about an unknown future; even things that seem highly likely to happen are not set in stone. You really can't be in "denial" about something that may or may not happen. For examples, Robin supporters were supposedly in "denial," but then it turned out Robin was playable. The fact is, we don't know what the reality of the situation is, so saying that anyone is in denial about an unknown is simply illogical.
No... denial would be asserting the opinion that one side is in fact a guarantee; in this case, denying evidence is denial.

Which will be the ultimate downfall for pretty much everyone that rejects reality.

You'd think people would of learned by now, but no that would make too much sense...
Believing Mewtwo and Ridley are highly probably is rejecting reality?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Don't get your hopes up

EDIT: Christ I hate the overusage of the word "evidence" here.

Last edited:

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Would you rather?

or

or

or
B. Impa or Bowser Jr.
B
B (Only because I'm selfish and want tons of characters)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So how's life over at Dark PitBoards?I trust you are all enjoying yourself too much discussing Dark Pit repeatedly.:troll:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So how life over at Dark PitBoards?I trust you are all enjoying yourself too much discussing Dark Pit repeatedly.:troll:
They aren't. They have surprisingly low activity just tipping their hats to each other in a ten page thread. They save their conversation of him for here because the truth is that none of them even believe he is a good character, they just enjoy being contrary.

No, unless you think they are more likely than Vaati being playable, which then is rejecting reality. :awesome:
It saddens me so much that Vaati is likely not going to be in, though he deserves it so much! Here's to hoping!

Ridley, sort of.. but that's not the point

Basically his point (and mine) is pretty much as simple as, "Most people will buy it if their favorite characters are in. Otherwise, garbage."

that
There's only one thing better than Dark Pit conversation...

Sounds like it's time to discuss Ridley in here, because from a marketing standpoint, Sakurai would be an idiot to not include him after all that he has done. Mewtwo as well.
Has nothing to do with wanting him or not.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's time to discuss Ridley in here, because from a marketing standpoint, Sakurai would be an idiot to not include him after all that he has done. Mewtwo as well.
Sakurai can be an idiot at times. He ain't perfect.

I don't trust the guy, as of now

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So...these are the basic things that people are declaring in this Thread?:

1. If my favorite character does not get in, then I won't get the game.
  2. Your character is a dumb request, mine is better than yours.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Don't get your hopes up

EDIT: Christ I hate the overusage of the word "evidence" here.
That's fine, I hate when someone tells another not to hope for a video game. If one cannot hope for a VIDEO game, what is safe to hope for?

Last edited:
If my favorite character does not get in, then I won't get the game.
They'll buy the game anyway even if their favorite character doesn't get in

Happens most of the time
That's fine, I hate when someone tells another not to hope for a video game. If one cannot hope for a VIDEO game, what is safe to hope for?
It's safe to hope that Delay Enix should stop delaying all their games to 2025. When the PS99, XBOX 99^99 and the Super Nintendo Entertainment Cube is released

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure those characters can be skipped over just like any other character.

There is nothing forcing the development team to commit to either, just like anything else.

Ridley is one of those type of characters that would be a ***** to balance, and Mewtwo needs the extra commitment due to how badly his moveset was received last time around. It's a matter of whether or not the developers will put commitment into developing characters from scratch and spend the time tweaking with every aspect until it's ready for release. Ridley being a stage hazard on Pyrosphere means he's out of the picture, while Mewtwo is unknown.

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Recently, I've realized how important Fire-Water-Grass is to the Pokemon franchise (because starter Pokemon are probably the most important Pokemon you get, even more than the legendaries), so I'm no longer entirely dismissive of Sceptile. And given Dark Pit's popularity in Japan, I'm not counting him out either. I mean, I still think he'd be a bad newcomer choice, but North American demand got us Little Mac, so a character that's popular in Japan getting in would be fair.

I also don't think either-or scenarios will exist this time around. There's so much space being saved by there not being a Subspace Emissary + cutscenes the possibilities are nearly limitless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom