• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Again, he's not an antagonist. He's not chasing after him, he isn't a boss, he isn't even a villain really. He's just a vicious Pokemon.
Boss is the major/final challenge of one game. Mewtwo fits to this description in R/B/G/Y/HG/SS/X/Y games as Red is the final challenge of G/S/C/HG/SS games. I'm not sayin he's an antagonist. I'm saying he's neither a hero nor a good guy.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Because of the open and interesting potential of weapons in Uprising that Sakurai can fill in to make as a (possibly) Luigified semi-clone, unlike other characters who have a few moves to distinguish them such as Dixie Kong.
Except Dixie Kong is an actual stand-alone character who doesn't do all the same things as Diddy. Dark Pit is a straight up clone in his own game, so I find it laugh-worthy for you to say he has more potential than Dixie.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Except Dixie Kong is an actual stand-alone character who doesn't do all the same things as Diddy. Dark Pit is a straight up clone in his own game, so I find it laugh-worthy for you to say he has more potential than Dixie.
He's the straight up clone of someone with an arsenal larger than a redneck nut. That's potential.

D

Deleted member

Actually...

He may not be evil second the games but definitely he's not a good guy...
That's not being evil. That'd be like saying hippos are evil for being highly aggressive animals that cause (if I remember correctly) the highest number of fatalities per year.
Not good, but not evil either.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
That's not being evil. That'd be like saying hippos are evil for being highly aggressive animals that cause (if I remember correctly) the highest number of fatalities per year.
I think the only reason people seem to consider him an antagonist is for the movie, well that and maybe event 51 from Melee.

Last edited:

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
He's the straight up clone of someone with an arsenal larger than a redneck nut. That's potential.
He just uses a weaker version of Palutena's Bow. Plus, he's an exact copy of Pit; the only unique power he has is unlimited Power of Flight.

So if he IS a playable character I would assume his Up B to go on forever.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Dark Pit should be added because he would be an easy clone? Honestly, that's not how I'd want to think about my most wanted newcomers.
I'm pretty sure "important" isn't the word you want to use here, bud.
Coming from the same guy that argued Bowser Jr. Should get in over "flat Mario" because he's more important.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Again, I'm not saying he's evil.
I'm saying he's not good. Mewtwo is not an Igglybuff or a Pichu. Fluffy and innocent. But Mewtwo is not an Yveltal or a Darkrai. Bringing death and disgrace intentionally.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Dark Pit should be added because he would be an easy clone? Honestly, that's not how I'd want to think about my most wanted newcomers.

Coming from the same guy that argued Bowser Jr. Should get in over "flat Mario" because he's more important.
Well it makes sense nontheless (about Dark Pit) honestly i don't really " full support" him as a clone, i mean i like the character and all but if it was up to me i'd rather have him be way different from Pit or having Hades, but at this point it's more of the fact that i actually expect him to be on the roster in a similar case to Lucina's inclusion, wich makes me think people just usually disregard him from speculation just because they don't like the idea of clones, wich i understand, but doesn't make him less likely.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
He just uses a weaker version of Palutena's Bow. Plus, he's an exact copy of Pit; the only unique power he has is unlimited Power of Flight.

So if he IS a playable character I would assume his Up B to go on forever.
Did you play Uprising? Firstly, Silver Bow isn't 'inferior'. It's shots grow weaker with distance but start stronger. Palutena's Bow is known for having weak standing shots but strong dash shots. They both have pros + cons and it's not like one is decidedly inferior like you claim.

Secondly, he uses four other weapons in the 'main' chapter with him as a boss, and can use any weapon Pit can use when he's a playable character. All I believe 108 of them. If Sakurai really wants to make Dark Pit unique, it certainly ain't impossible.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Again, I'm not saying he's evil.
I'm saying he's not good. Mewtwo is not an Igglybuff or a Pichu. Fluffy and innocent. But Mewtwo is not an Yveltal or a Darkrai. Bringing death and disgrace intentionally.
Darkrai doesn't do it intentionally actually (unless we're talking about PMD Darkrai), it's been stated that his ability to throw those into terrible nightmares is a defense mechanism that it can't control. So it's more along the lines of Absol, a misunderstood being rather then a villainous Pokemon.

Yveltal is also similar, it does cause death and destruction, but it's treated more as just a natural consequence of its abilities. So in a way, it a representation of the natural cycle of life and death rather then intentionally calling down death on unfortunate victims.

Mewtwo is more of a powerful neutral force, it's dangerous, that's for certain, but it couldn't care less about antagonizing those around it. So it can't really be seen as a villain, at least no more then, to take from Golden's example, a hippo killing a human trespassing on its territory.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well it makes sense nontheless (about Dark Pit) honestly i don't really " full support" him as a clone, i mean i like the character and all but if it was up to me i'd rather have him be way different from Pit or having Hades, but at this point it's more of the fact that i actually expect him to be on the roster in a similar case to Lucina's inclusion, wich makes me think people just usually disregard him from speculation just because they don't like the idea of clones, wich i understand, but doesn't make him less likely.
I agree, after Palutena's trailer, he was most definitely hinted in some form or another. What is debatable is how he'll appear. Will he retain his alternate costume status? Will he advance to a stage boss or Assist Trophy? Or will he really become his own character? Personally, I think he'll remain an alt costume, but more "advanced" than his Brawl costume. My next guess would be a stage hazard in the Kid Icarus stage. I honestly don't think he'd be his own separate character. Possible? Yes, but likely? Not as everyone makes him out to be. I think he'd have to be a secret character. However, I've heard numerous times that all newcomers will receive trailers, which I think will actually happen. I doubt Dark Pit would appear in Palutena's trailer and his own. I don't think a Villain/Antagonist trailer is likely either(which is sad because I'd love to see one.)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
There's a difference between importance of games (NSMB vs Paper Mario) and importance of niche characters bud :^)

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think you ignored the fact that Pittoo can use a Dark Pit Staff, Pandora Claws, Silver Bow, EZ Cannon, Violet Palm, Ogre Club, First Blade, Darkness Bow, End-All Arm, Viridi Palm, Power of Flight, Eye Orbitars, and all the potential other weapons the game has over Dixie, who only has her flying ponytail. I find it funny for you to say she has more potential than Dark Pit.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I agree, after Palutena's trailer, he was most definitely hinted in some form or another. What is debatable is how he'll appear. Will he retain his alternate costume status? Will he advance to a stage boss or Assist Trophy? Or will he really become his own character? Personally, I think he'll remain an alt costume, but more "advanced" than his Brawl costume. My next guess would be a stage hazard in the Kid Icarus stage. I honestly don't think he'd be his own separate character. Possible? Yes, but likely? Not as everyone makes him out to be. I think he'd have to be a secret character. However, I've heard numerous times that all newcomers will receive trailers, which I think will actually happen. I doubt Dark Pit would appear in Palutena's trailer and his own. I don't think a Villain/Antagonist trailer is likely either(which is sad because I'd love to see one.)
I agree with this, i don't find it incredibly likely, but i do think that some people just don't even give it some thought because they just don't like the idea, wich causes all this controversy.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Darkrai doesn't do it intentionally actually (unless we're talking about PMD Darkrai), it's been stated that his ability to throw those into terrible nightmares is a defense mechanism that it can't control. So it's more along the lines of Absol, a misunderstood being rather then a villainous Pokemon.

Yveltal is also similar, it does cause death and destruction, but it's treated more as just a natural consequence of its abilities. So it's more along the lines of representing the natural cycle of life and death rather then intentionally calling down death on unfortunate victims.
Meh.. But you understood the point.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Possible? Yes, but likely? Not as everyone makes him out to be.
I think most Dark Pit fans are apathetic towards him, actually. Main reason I'm willing to defend him is that he has a (imo unjustified) hate base that use blatant falsehoods to justify his disclusion. He could not get in, but it won't because he lacks moveset potential/isn't visually distinctive/not popular. He just won't have gotten in for the same reason 90% of other characters didn't get in. Not enough space. Main reason he shows up in rosters a lot is because people are expecting at least a couple more clones and he's very logical in that department.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think you ignored the fact that Pittoo can use a Dark Pit Staff, Pandora Claws, Silver Bow, EZ Cannon, Violet Palm, Ogre Club, First Blade, Darkness Bow, End-All Arm, Viridi Palm, Power of Flight, Eye Orbitars, and all the potential other weapons the game has over Dixie, who only has her flying ponytail. I find it funny for you to say she has more potential than Dark Pit.
Pittoo has the same potential as Toon Link. Having potential doesn't mean they'll bring something new, because any of those things Pit can use, too. Dixie's ponytail whirl is an entirely new mechanic and can be used in so many ways, that makes her a character that stands out a lot. Pittoo, however, has the EXACT SAME potential as Pit. There lies the problem. Its not something that's exclusive to him.

That's also why Chrom was severely lacking in potential. Anything he could've done literally any other FE sword user could've done as well.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
There's a difference between importance of games (NSMB vs Paper Mario) and importance of niche characters bud :^)
So why wasn't Bowser Jr. an Assist Trophy over Waluigi who only appears in Spin-Off titles? This was around the time that the original New Super Mario Bros. was one of the top hits and Galaxy(another HUGE hit) was released one year prior. Bowser Jr. was at one of his higher points at this time! :^)

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It just seems so stupid for Sakurai to hype up a character that no one wanted, especially if he were to just be a clone, which he most likely would be. If he didn't think it was worth making a kid, toon version of Link who has unique weapons that adult Link doesn't have unique then why would he think a Dark clone of Pit who uses weapons that normal Pit can already use would be worth making unique?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So why wasn't Bowser Jr. an Assist Trophy over Waluigi who only appears in Spin-Off titles? This was around the time that the original New Super Mario Bros. was one of the top hits and Galaxy(another HUGE hit) was released one year prior. Bowser Jr. was at one of his higher points at this time! :^)
I have no idea what you're trying to prove, so OK bud.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Pittoo has the same potential as Toon Link. Having potential doesn't mean they'll bring something new, because any of those things Pit can use, too. Dixie's ponytail whirl is an entirely new mechanic and can be used in so many ways, that makes her a character that stands out a lot. Pittoo, however, has the EXACT SAME potential as Pit. There lies the problem. Its not something that's exclusive to him.

That's also why Chrom was severely lacking in potential. Anything he could've done literally any other FE sword user could've done as well.
That depends on how do you see potential, in fact Toon Link also had potential to be different from Link, usng the Deku leaf to float, the skull hammer for a flashy finisher, and even manipulating the wind for a final smash. Dark Pit has enough potential to be diffrerent, since all the different weapons from uprising are at his disposal and if they can all work different from Pit's though i agree that despite this potential he'd most likely be a clone if he was in. Just like Dixie could get her "potential" wasted and be a clone if Sakurai decided to.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Still he could use different weapons, the functions of his special moves could be the same as Pit, just only different properties.
Also Chrom is not comparable to Dark Pit at all. Going by the fact that Dark Pit would be a last minute semi-clone, you can't use lacking in potential as an argument.

D

Deleted member

Toon Link was a clone because he's Link and wields the same types of weapons as his non-Toon counterpart.
Dark Pit, while identical to Pit in design, is not Pit.

He can reasonably be a clone/semi-clone, but he isn't subject to the same "ruling" Sakurai had for Toon Link about sharing special attacks.
Hence why the Dark Pit Staff would be included as a replacement for either Upperdash Arm or Guardian Orbiters at the very least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430

It just seems so stupid for Sakurai to hype up a character that no one wanted, especially if he were to just be a clone, which he most likely would be. If he didn't think it was worth making a kid, toon version of Link who has unique weapons that adult Link doesn't have unique then why would he think a Dark clone of Pit who uses weapons that normal Pit can already use would be worth making unique?
Comparing Pit+Dark Pit to Link+Toon Link is apples and oranges. Toon Link may have his own unique stuff, but he doesn't need it to establish a niche. He's smaller, lighter, faster, just in general has different physics which separate him as a character. A far better analogy for what type of (clone doesn't really convey the message, so I'll use 'related character' instead) the duo would be is Fox+Brawl!Falco or Fox+Wolf. The first relies on some different attacks in addition to minor tweaks, the second more or less just takes the 'original' as an inspiration.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I have no idea what you're trying to prove, so OK bud.
That a game being more important than another doesn't necessarily mean that a character will or should be chosen over another.
Toon Link was a clone because he's Link and wields the same types of weapons as his non-Toon counterpart.

He can reasonably be a clone/semi-clone, but he isn't subject to the same "ruling" Sakurai had for Toon Link about sharing special attacks.
Sakurai has contradicted himself before, we wouldn't have Villager or Mii's if he went with the same ruling of them being too peaceful.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Toon Link was a clone because Sakurai and the team wanted him to be, he COULD have been different, even if they had some "rule" that he had to be linked to link (pffftt) that doesn't mean that if they wanted to, they couldn't have made him a unique character.

D

Deleted member

That a game being more important than another doesn't necessarily mean that a character will or should be chosen over another.

Sakurai has contradicted himself before, we wouldn't have Villager or Mii's if he went with the same ruling of them being too peaceful.
Toon Link is still as much of a clone of Link as he was in Brawl.
What is your point?

Toon Link was a clone because Sakurai and the team wanted him to be, he COULD have been different, even if they had some "rule" that he had to be linked to link (pffftt) that doesn't mean that if they wanted to, they couldn't have made him a unique character.
Could've, should've, would've.
Doesn't change what did happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well his Cerulean Cave encounter in gen 1 kind of has him pegged as the unofficial "final boss" of pokemon b/r so he's kind of villainy.
Well not really, by that logic Red would also be a villain, he was just a "final challenge" kind of thing.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Pay attention to this part the most. It's probably the part where it nulls your argument about Toon Link.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't see how listing a bunch of random crap automatically makes Dark Pit somehow better.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
What is your point?

Could've, should've, would've.
Doesn't change what did happen.
Yes but my point is that Toon Link wasn't bound to be a clonebecause of some sort of rule, just like Dark Pit isn't bound to be a Pit clone either, but Toon Link was and Dark Pit would probably be simply becuase that's easier to develop.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
She does have more potential, the only things Dixie Kong has in common with Diddy are her size and species (they're both chimpanzees; I know Diddy Kong has a tail, but that's presumably an error). Otherwise, she's entirely unique. Plus, she has unused data on Brawl's disc (and it's been revealed that she was intended to appear alongside Diddy as a "tag" character, but scrapped because of time constraints and the SSE), is a largely significant Donkey Kong series character in her own right, and has tons of popularity. Dark Pit is simply exactly what his name suggests: a dark version of Pit.

What doesn't help Dark Pit's chances is, again, the fact that his design is literally Pit's black "Fallen Angel" palette swap from Brawl; there is no uniqueness in his design whatsoever. While he wouldn't have a cloned moveset, potentially having a very unique one, he would be a horrible newcomer choice, indicative of over-representation (because it's well-known that Kid Icarus is one of Sakurai's babies). Keep in mind that Shadow the Hedgehog and Dark Samus, two other dark versions of characters, would have had unique movesets if they were playable as well, but that didn't help their chances. On top of that, Dark Pit has very little (if any) demand, even in comparison to the aforementioned dark characters; before his brief appearance in Palutena's introduction video, he was probably only an afterthought in a few (if any) SSB4 discussions.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well like, did I say otherwise? lol
I remember a debate way back when where you did say something along those lines.
What is your point?
It's possible that he didn't want to change him. Maybe he thought Toon Link differentiated himself enough to not merit changes.
My point was that Sakurai has contradicted himself before, so I don't think that rule is the reason he stayed the same as his Brawl incarnation.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well not really, by that logic Red would also be a villain, he was just a "final challenge" kind of thing.
Do you mean the rival by Red? In which case everyone kind of views him as the antagonist of pokemon so yeah, I consider them both antagonists at the very least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom