• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
My new prediction roster

DLC options are : Roy, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Bayonetta and Captain Toad.
Pros:
+ Captain Toad DLC
+ Impa
+ Dixie Kong
+ Roy DLC option(his blade is cool, stop fricking judging me)
+ Wolf not cut
+ Isaac
+ Squirtle and Ivysaur are DLC options.
+ Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley and Shulk makes everyone else happy.

Cons:
- 5 3rd parties. But for the rest I'd easily put up with that.

1000/10

Would buy all the Amiibos.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't count Mii's as separate characters, so this would really be 57. I don't think Impa, Krystal, or Snake will be in either. The possibility of Snake being replaced by an AW character I think is fairly likely, though...
It's 59 characters, but I put them as one slot, as well.

If Sakurai wants to make three Miis.... ugh.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
My new prediction roster

DLC options are : Roy, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Bayonetta and Captain Toad.
A little large, but I actually have no real problem with this. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few more clones (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr., etc) if we did get close to that large of a roster, though.

multielmuchacho

Smash Rookie
[/IMG] Just saw this on 4chan.. this is in tandem with another leak I saw on gamefaqs' super smash bros. For wiiU posted by a user named Dave923 which claimed bubbles was in the upcoming game as a playable character. Looking into this at first I questioned the possibility of bubbles being in, then after I looked into it I noticed Clu Clu Land (Bubble's game) was created by none other than Gunpei Yokoi, the creator of Kid Icarus, which as everyone knows was revived by Sakurai in Brawl. Looking more, I noticed that Bubbles appeared in Donkey Kong: King of swing, a DS game. This brings to mind ROB who made an appearance in Mario Kart DS. While I'm sceptical still, Bubbles seems infinitely more likely than she did before, and this leak shouldn't be ignored or totally denied.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just saw this on 4chan.. this is in tandem with another leak I saw on gamefaqs' super smash bros. For wiiU posted by a user named Dave923 which claimed bubbles was in the upcoming game as a playable character. Looking into this at first I questioned the possibility of bubbles being in, then after I looked into it I noticed Clu Clu Land (Bubble's game) was created by none other than Gunpei Yokoi, the creator of Kid Icarus, which as everyone knows was revived by Sakurai in Brawl. Looking more, I noticed that Bubbles appeared in Donkey Kong: King of swing, a DS game. This brings to mind ROB who made an appearance in Mario Kart DS. While I'm sceptical still, Bubbles seems infinitely more likely than she did before, and this leak shouldn't be ignored or totally denied.
Not sure what it is you see buddy, but I'm not seeing it.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Anyway, here's my pretty roster! Take it as you will.

3DS Roster.png

I doubt this will be the final roster, since the man's unpredictable, but I think the 4 newcomers I have on here (Shulk, Ridley, Dixie, and the Kids) have legitimate chances. And before you say "NO CHORUS KIDS #GEMATSUDEAD", I still think they have a chance. If it's not them, then I'd probably have Isaac or Snake on there, maybe?

And, to be honest, I still feel really uncertain about Lucas. Maybe my pessimism is acting up.

Morbi

Scavenger
A little large, but I actually have no real problem with this. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few more clones (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr., etc) if we did get close to that large of a roster, though.
I agree that we will probably see more clones such as Dr. Mario and Dark Pit; however, I do not agree on Bowser Jr. In the event of Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr. would not be a clone (gods be praised). In fact, I doubt he would be in at all (gods be praised, again).

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
My first expected Roster

First introduction in roster speculation​

DISCLAIMER: As someone who dislikes to mix wish list and expectations, I had one of the top priority to ONLY put ANY characters if I have any reasons, to somehow EXPECT him to be playable. What this means is that I would be confident enough to think that the character has a chance rate superior to 50% (or, in the likely side).

I note predictions rating by words in bracket as I don't like percentages due to possible imprecision. Even tough words can be misinterpreted, having a fixed interpretation in mind greatly helps categorizing expectations. I will only use percentages if I judge that no misinterpretations is possible. The rating are described in the spoiler below.
[collapse=Chances rating explanation]
  • [deconfirmed] / [confirmed] -> An evidence exists that without any doubt points directly towards deconfirmation / confirmation. It's only if it's objective and proven to be a fact.
  • [almost deconfirmed] / [almost confirmed]-> Subjective deconfirmation / confirmation. It means I would have absolutely no reason to believe from any possible way the character to be playable / not playable. It's the equivalent of giving the worst / best chances rating from a subjective only standpoint.
  • [very unlikely] / [very likely] -> High chances of deconfirmation / confirmation. It means that most of the evidences and logic seems to have a solid foundation to be mostly confident towards not playable / playable. It's the equivalent of giving a low / high rating without being the least / worst.
  • [pretty unlikely] / [pretty likely] -> Great possibility to be deconfirmed / confirmed. It means that an average majority of the evidences and logic points towards not playable / playable. Even if I'm pretty confident, I acknowledge the opposite happening despite finding such a possibility too minor to change my mind.
  • [quite unlikely] / [quite likely] -> Good possibility of deconfirmation / confirmation, but it is close to be in the middle. It means that a minor majority of the evidences and logic points towards not playable / playable. I am somehow confident, but I acknowledge the opposite outcome. In the end, I think that such a possibility is minor, but I may change my mind if his situation changes in the slightest or that I receive new evidences / logical explanation.
  • [in the dark] -> Due to the non existent or not decisive enough amount of evidences / logic, I can't tell any verdict with any confidence. As such, I consider the case to be an objective 50/50 which means that the starting point of my reasoning would be in the middle, but would change from [almost deconfirmed] to [almost confirmed] upon speculation. Because of how unsure the situation is, I can't tell a clear verdict so I acknowledge that in can go either way, but still might be tempted to choose one side. Expecting is possible, but I would be unsure for most cases with this rating.
  • [disdain] -> Due to the insufficient amount of knowledge I have on the case, I cannot tell any verdict and to be able to do so, I would need to do more research. By default, the character is not playable until [confirmed].
[unlikely] and [likely] reference either half without the middle and objective sides.
[/collapse]
With that out of the way, I present you my first expected roster of ssb4.

Statistics:
  • 54 in total + 1 random slot
  • 36 announced
  • 18 unannounced in total
  • 11 unannounced veterans
  • 7 unannounced newcomers
  • Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Dr Mario, Pichu, Roy and Young Link are veterans cut
  • Mewtwo is a veteran comeback
  • Dark Pit has his own slot while being a clone
Note: the alignment was too painful to do so I decided to keep it vertical and not be picky in the disposition.

It assumes no cut expect the one I mentioned above who I have reasons to have pretty low expectations. Only because the cuts are mostly based on a priority list, it's hard to tell if there would be cuts other than the one I mentioned so I assume the best case.

Since it is my first roster, I will do a full essay on the newcomers I chose. It will tell why I expect them in details.

Now, here's what you were waiting for...

SANCTUARY GUARDIANS!!!

<realtalk>

Teasing

I became to realize that teasing played a bigger part than I tough in character's chances. By being involved directly in one of those, I think I understood why it could work every time. The following is a general theory I got by thinking about the question.

Most of the newcomers I chose and some already [confirmed] characters were affected by what is called a "tease". It means that the character was purposely hinted to be playable by providing what is seemingly usual information material, but such a hint is hidden because of how it tries to work with what I call "selected targeting". It means that the tease was specifically planned for the one who would care the most about seeing the character playable. The one who don't care enough will see the material differently and would imply an outcome that was purposely not mentioned or unclear. This outcome would contradict the belief that the character would be playable which makes them deny the tease possibility while it was right in front of them. It makes the final outcome very surprising for them as it wasn't expected.

But for the people who was targeted, they would most likely get that something is "fishy". This sentiment will trigger investigations and research to know what this means. Since they would care enough, they would most likely go trough the trouble of researching evidences. At the end of it, it would be considered that the character teased had hidden evidences that would suggest playable more than the implied theory that would contradict it.

This is done to have an unbalanced opinions on people which would generate more talk and speculation. It's like Sakurai was trying to reach the fans emotions that would most likely be considered by them and most likely be denied by the one that weren't reached.

Because of the needs of talk, there's always a waiting period after the tease where no info is revealed on anything surrounding the tease. Almost like it never happened, but it did. As an interesting remark, I noticed that there could be a correlation between the target and the time of this period. So, if the fanbase of the character is known to be popular and determinate, it could mean a more well hidden tease and lasting for a longer time than another target.

To provide an example for reference, I will use Little Mac's case even tough I noticed that it would match others one too.

The boxing ring stage was revealed on the first trailer. Now, on first watch of this trailer, and on further POTD showing the stage, I recall to have not noticed anything special as it seemed to go normally. However, there was a problem: on the Little Mac's thread, I remember by experience to have witnessed discussions about possible references to the series punch out. There was apparently multiple evidences suggesting this that make some think it would hint at little mac and that the stage wasn't really a global stage like battlefield. Those references would points towards a "home stage" feel for little mac as he has a special relation to the stage. When you think about it tough, Sakurai was never clear if this stage was global, but it's an assumption that was implied. It became to be a discussed topic and it had to end 7 months later. The time is really long, but it might have to do with the popularity of the character. By targeting a broad audience, the tease would have to be hidden and make the people wait according to this. I believe that this waiting time being long may have to do with its popularity.

On the reveal, the people who denied the tease was very surprised and the one who got it may even have called it playable before. There's one interesting note that proved it was a made on purpose: on the same trailer, the second version of the stage was revealed. Since there wasn't really any apparent reasons to hide it before, it must be because the stage was hidden to make the tease work. Revealing such an information prior would be too obvious.

I could take a lot of cases and I found a match with so far, no clear inconsistencies.

Since you will hear multiple examples in this essay, I will now start to explain my choices for newcomers by starting with the one case that made me aware of how crucial teasing can be in roster prediction.

Paper Mario

I think I should mention it even tough you may guessed / know already, it is by far my most wanted. The only characters I admit to not be neutral in want is KKR (but at the limit of being neutral), Ridley (not much but quite enough) and Paper Mario who I really want. Since I saw a lot of skepticism about a tease theory, I will explain in more details than the other one (so, expect this to be very long compared to the others).

You might claim I'm biased, but as I said, I wouldn't do this roster without having reasons to believe his playability outside of my want side. Let me explain what happened on July 29 2014.

Sakurai released his first POTD showing a 3ds Paper Mario stage from sticker star which is the only game out of 4 to have been released on handheld.

However, he released a second picture shortly after. Still on the same 3ds stage, he revealed that the stage would transform to a location saw in the thousand year door or TTYD. This game was released for the Gamecube in 2004 while sticker star was released on the 3ds on 2012.

I can tell you right there that there seem to be something weird now. Why do I see a console game location on a handheld console stage? The most likely outcome is that it's a general Paper Mario stage.

I just want to point out now something that I found flawed as argument. Some people tough that it was hurting his chances and I honestly have to ask why. It has to do with a belief that because we see TTYD on 3ds, it won't be on WiiU. Yet, someone needs to explain me why Pokemon league on WiiU depicts the same games as Prism tower on 3ds depicts and this game being pokemon x/y (take those as one entity), an handheld game. If that happened already, why it can't now?

Let's assume we would get this stage and a WiiU one. I'll take a requested and well known idea for the sake of debates: the theater. If you're aware of the idea, I think it would make sense for this stage to focus on hazards and the dynamic of the fight while being a simple walk off stage. It should be on a fixed theater even if the location on the theater could change.

I can already tell you that this stage doesn't have the same purpose as the 3ds one, how it would obsolete such a stage?. So, I just want to clear this out: Seeing TTYD on 3ds does NOT mean it's not going to be on WiiU and even one game got the same thing before.

With that out of the way, let me continue.

I decided to check the captions as I care for my most wanted. The second is just info on the stage, but it mentions TTYD. I'll get to this fact later. The first..is weird on the first sentence. For reference, let me quote him:

Seems normal. But he does mention Paper Mario, that usually is bad, but not in this context.

Unless they would alter his name like olimar, Paper Mario is literally the same name for the first game in the series, the name of the series itself, and the supposed name for the characters. Let's drop the first one as it's really obvious. The sentence was just "a Paper Mario stage". It's pretty generic and there's nothing that is really specific to the characters and it seems to be related globally. That would be using the name as a series context since I could apply this for any stage from the series possible. He had to mention the name so he couldn't avoid it. It really doesn't mean anything other than it mentions the origins of the stage.

But there's one thing I did found very suspicious. He said "for the first time ever" which should be normal, but I recall him saying those same words on a different context...

That was 4 days before, last Friday to be precise (the stage was on a Tuesday).

That's so weird. For me, saying this on the menu context is normal because everyone should be aware that there would be a menu as it is something that has to be there and so, is a given. So, showing it is implied to be the first time since no one saw the main menu even if we know that a main menu exists. The "first time" here is something that should be "due to happen" in a past context and it was implied. It just follows with hyping the fact of showing it for a "first time" since it was quite anticipated.

I don't think it's the same on the stage. No one said that seeing a Paper Mario stage was in any way "due to happen". It was more a wish than an expectation honestly. So, why hyping the fact of having a first time if no one said that there HAS to be one? It seems to not hype the proper thing: the existence of the stage, not showing it for a "first time" not implied.

I may need to have a translation from the Japanese posts, but the only way this first time was going to happen before is that it was "planned". But in what context? In development? Even before?

Nothing can be tell, but I do found this wording questionable to be present on both pictures with 4 days of interval while the first turns out to land on a Friday. It means we should be even more aware of this captions as it is going to be a topic discussed in the week end.

I can tell you so far that even tough I saw weird things, it's pure theory and could be explained in multiple ways and even interpreted differently. There's one thing that wasn't clear: knowing that the existence of the stage could hint him at a playable status, does the repping of the stage is clear?

No. I don't have anything to tell that it would rep the existing mario characters OR Paper Mario unannounced and teased. I'm stuck here so I should stop...for now.

I browsed the forums and I noticed a strangely familiar counterarguments:

"Since the stage seems to rep the existing mario character as it is a mario stage after all, I don't see any reasons that it would help Paper Mario."

I can swear I saw this somewhere, but I tough about it...

And I just got something, it was an implied statement. Sakurai wasn't clear on this and it seems to be like the boxing ring or Palutena's temple where not being clear was a problem in speculation. That seems fishy.

If I consider it though, the second picture isn't consistent with the first if it was the case.

Because let's assume it does rep existing Mario characters, why on the same stage I see 2 games that have 8 years each apart specifically related to the series itself?

I'll tell you why it's fishy; it's "out of there" considering the main series. What I expect is only to only see sticker star on 3ds exactly like rainbow road on 3ds which is a location from the a 3ds game from the mario kart series. That's the right game on the right system, so why TTYD is even there? It's a 2 generation gap even so, for a branch of the main series, why the repping is broad that much? It's subjective, but it feels more like a separate entity to me. I mean, I wouldn't think about this if it was only sticker star, but it seems to go way further. At the very least, it's weird and I just feel something "not right" here.

I said there could be a WiiU stage. By repping it on the 3ds, I can assume that Sakurai wanted to somehow rep the console games in a way since he even did it on the other system of the source one. I have the proof he INTENDED to do it and I know that he COULD do another stage on the source console, so...

With 3 out of 4 games released on home console, why there would be ONLY a 3ds stage?

There you go. This, considering how this series was even considered memorable because of mostly the first 3 games (super paper mario was good enough to be btw) released on HOME CONSOLE, why making a stage on the 3DS showing a console game AND the only 3ds game that was the most recent, but the less appreciated, why he would omit the WiiU just like this?

I just want to explain why this isn't grasping at straws. What I just said can be mostly understood by someone who LIVED the experience of at least one of the first 3 games which means, you had to play one game. I can't explain you how this feeling; it's like earthbound: inexplicable, but livable. For myself, I had strong memories of TTYD and good ones of PM64, so you bet that I could get this feel of memories when I saw the second pic. But why this feel would have its place if it wasn't for any WiiU stages where you would live them, on home consoles? It makes no sense to do that which is why I expect a WiiU stage to be likely. Tough, why not telling about it? It simply doesn't make sense in this case of the context of the series being very memorable on the first 3 games in order being SPM, PM64 and by far the most appreciated, TTYD...

Wait, he MENTION that game? Not even sticker star, but THIS?

Ok, now this is gone too far to deny that something is wrong here. He mention THE one game that just telling the name would basically make any fans reacts strongly in emotions (lived it in my thread, true story, read from page 19 to around maybe 25). For getting 2 stages, Paper Mario would have to be there because then, I would not see the point of going as far to add those stages without him. It's just not something that seems right. Add the inconsistencies of not seeing a WiiU stage, the unknown reason to not reveal it prior as most of the series are on that system anyway...

Link those 3 elements together...does that feel too convenient?

Like it was planned?

Fun fact: so far, only WiiU stages was showcased in trailers, no 3ds one (expect pacman trailer which showed a WiiU and a 3ds one, but It's probably because for a third party as big as this one, Sakurai may not want to tease him and do something unexpected. Tough, you could argue that the quote he made on Namco may have been a tease).

The reveal was a 3ds stage. It wasn't clear who it repped so existing mario characters was implied. It would be inconsistent to not rep any WiiU stage because if he would have shown the second picture and we still don't get one, it would miss most of the memories that the fans had while he even mentioned the most appreciated of them and not the least one. But because of this, not seeing Paper Mario is now unlikely since he would have 2 stages on both versions. In fact, he would hide the WiiU one for a purpose that is sure since I don't see any reasons to not reveal it before. Since only those are in trailers, it could be revealed there. Revealing the 3ds one is actually the tease because he could keep trailer setup after some waiting time for the tease.

Read this, it's plausible, but with how much weird question I had, it points that it could be linked all together. In fact, the same thing happened with Greninja as his trailer revealed a WiiU stage while the 3ds one was revealed. The repping was implied when nothing was clear and it repped particularly 6G, no one where announced.

Also, i said that you had to play to understand what it feels to not see those memories, it's selected targeting. It was made so that me would get this and other people who would care enough to get this strong sentiment of being taunted. and those who don't would miss it and possibly deny it.

Since it is based on a something that I found a foundation that needed multiple circumstances linked together, it's not impossible to not be the case, but with my confidence, I consider this minor. Most stages rep one character, but others don't even if it's a low number, it happened.

So, I'm definitely not sure at 99%, but I am enough to think it's true.

That's why I think he's [quite likely] to be playable. If everything goes as planned, we should NOT see any info on the repping for this series until he gets reveal in a trailer with the hidden WiiU stage. Seems too specific? Greninja case, it happened and most of you missed it please, consider this one. Until my theory breaks, he's locked on my roster. If you're wondering why I'm that confident and tell [quite likely] instead of [pretty likely], it's because I was amazed how similar it was to previous cases and I like to trust history repeating itself. I wouldn't get how Sakurai teases if it wasn't for me getting involved which imo, is essential to speculate accurately now.

I said it was the longest, but now, the next are short compared to this, but I had to tell everything and not hide opinions because of how weird debates went (imo, most of them wasn't talked enough and was almost denying any teases possibility for reasons I personally question).

Ridley

Don't expect this to be long as I already extensively written on it in his thread. I made an essay on him that should tell you anything you need to know. I would like to warn you that even if I changed my verdict on him, the information presented are still relevant. Here's the essay (WARNING, very long maybe my longest post on the forum)

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ctors-paradise.324284/page-1099#post-17045763

You can omit the text before the music video.

I said I updated my verdict. It's because I realized that I debated and heard so much that in the end, it inverted the usual speculation logic. I say that normally, by default, any character isn't playable until confirmation. Yet, I was even trying to find theories that would make sense as him being not playable, and trust me, I legitimately tried and I wasn't able to. After a while, I realized that the only solution left was to accept the last options: he would be playable until deconfirmation (the essay above shows that it's actually not a deconfirmation and wouldn't even make sense to be one).

That was also after what happened with Paper Mario so I could understand this even more. I'm saying that he's now probably the or one of the most likely newcomers to get in. I said [almost confirmed] and from now on, I'm very conservative on my opinion now. I will not remove it from the roster in any way until deconfirmation (which I have reasons to believe it would just be stupid with how much tease you would break).

Just want this out tough, since Ridley is probably one of the most determinate fanbase and popular, Sakurai adapted his teasing to be the most coded one and still in progress with almost a full year reached since August 20 2013. Again, support selected targeting.

Surprisingly, he's even more likely than what I tough because of a certain theory I tough to be straws...until I got what happened.

The trophy theory

I need to explain this since it's related to the Ghirahim case.

On the April 8 direct 4 trophies were presented by a "quiz" when it's a game that you would have to guess the character presented in the trophy. This was accompanied by a music playing in the background. At first, it seems just to have fun while we are just hype for the direct, but that's way more deeper.

Here's why: the fake Palutena was unquestionably a teasing. I don't even doubt this you can't be more specific to her. The trophy was pseudo Palutena which I guess is like a fake Palutena (not played uprising so forgive me). Just picture this: You see a trophy, the camera angle is what seems to be a female and quite tall from her back, a long laying green haird can be seen and it seems to be the same as Palutena.

Reminder: if Palutena is shown on a trophy while she wasn't confirmed playable prior, she's automatically [deconfirmed] by this assumption of seeing a trophy while not on the site already. So, if you were a strong Palutena supporters, let's just say you should have been scared at this instant.

The camera goes up to then finally change the angle and we see the face of the trophy which is...

Ok, it was scary, but that wasn't Palutena; it was a fake one. What this means is that the camera angle at the beginning was a joke to mess with supporters (i don't even think someone can deny this, or you weren't paying attention honestly). It of course was specifically alluding to Palutena and the music too. It could only be her related to this trophy.

And she indeed got confirmed 2 months after.

This could imply the same for others. There should be ONLY a specific character that is SPECIFICALLY related to the trophy AND the music. That character would have a tease with one obvious case that happened.

The last one had Ridley's theme, only him is related here (I consider [almost confirmed] by that logic, this should work). The trophy is...Ok, I had check in the Ridley thread so kudos to them and I got this:

Source: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...the-detractors-paradise.324284/#post-14609370 (under misc evidences).

Didn't play other M, but you get the idea that it's a specific relation.

With his theme, it's only him that match.

The third case is most specific one though and it makes this theory very solid in my eyes. Robin.

The Tiki trophy had a relation that can only be made with Robin and no one else. Not only Tiki is a character that Robin can have a support relation (I think it's when you place him next to her, but those relations are arbitrary and only works depending on the match). So, already limited relation and since it's not enough, the music heard, id purpose, is his theme. I don't think you can go more specific, but what is interesting on him is that he wasn't that much expected which just helps this theory a lot.

3 out of 4, I guess the last is [very likely] now right?

This one has a weird, but specific relation. That's where Ghirahim comes.

Ghirahim

The trophy was Fi and the music was ballad of the goddess. The music is actually zelda's lullaby played backwards and Fi being the spirit inside the master sword. From here, I don't see who it could be, but if I take this to another approach, it only gives one match.

The music relates to zelda. What's the opposite of Zelda AND Fi?

It would be something related to villain as those are the good side, but for Fi, the only other sword spirit of the villain side that exists is Ghirahim.

Not sure if I explained properly, but he's basically the contrast of both evidences.

So, Ghirahim is [very likely] because of this tease backed up by the other 75% being correct.

For that reasons, he's locked on my roster. I don't even doubt the theory and I fully trust it.

Dark Pit

This one was quite unexpected for me to now expect him, but thanks to a PM from morbid, I think he's in...as a clone with his own slot.

Ok, let's just clear this out: if it happened with Lucina, it can also happen for another character. It's even more probable on him OR an alt, but I think that's unlikely with the teases he got. Also, clone aren't hard to do and having his own slot is like Sakurai said, if there's a difference that is worth mentioning, he view them as separate slot. Now, I honestly didn't play uprising to confirms this on him, but let me hear on the teases and it wouldn't matter anyway.

I got an evidence that I wasn't aware: the Japanese trailer is even more teasing than the English one. I guess it has to do with translation not being accurate and as someone who used to buy games in French, I can confirms such issues are possible (but it's far worse).

So, (and I got confirmation of this by a mod who posted in his thread) on the Japanese traler, Palutena would have asked him (not even mentioned by name) if he "has returned" to then him answering an ambiguous statement. I didn't get from both the thread and morbid the exact words, but I don't question mods anyway so I trust them.

That is just heavy tease. Maybe a little too obvious, but with the weird way he did that, it may be hidden because of this (I really don't know how you can call this hidden, but I admit that I ignored it after I watched the trailer which was kinda stupid tbh).

As if it's not enough, the newcomer poster of Palutena has Dark Pit in it, but if you ever spotted it, it's clearly teasing. He takes like the 1/100 of the whole image, not something you spot right away so hidden. I don't even doubt this one after the trailer one.

I was sceptical at first, but with those, I don't think I am now.

On April 2013 (before first trailer that's why I was sceptical), Sakurai posted a pictures of figures in a desk. Dark Pit, Ness and charizard without the trainer was there. I have to agree that at first, it seems to be nothing. But morbid pointed out that it showed "solo charizard". I can't help, but he has a point. Not seeing the trainer or at least the 3 pokemons in the same shot while another character in this shot was teased after is something that could have hinted solo charizard him too (tough, I would honestly had to wait until E3 to view this as credible because i wouldn't be confident enough). Remember that by default, veterans are assumed to return if there's no reasons to not return. So, you shouldn't see him alone. This picture having 2 teases got right helps even more Dark Pit.

On a side note, it means it helps Ness, but he's a given anyway.

Since the level of teasing was small, but not something I can ignore, I will say that it'll down the verdict a bit, but he still get a [pretty likely] and so, enough to be locked on my roster.

Mewtwo
I'm not sure if I consider him more or less likely than Ridley, but it's very close.

Honestly, he has too much for him to not even consider him at this point. He got a VERY special and even undeniable tease IN PERSON. Sakurai literally ADDED a statement when a question about seeing Mewtwo playable was asked. The answer was goin to be something like "we can't tell for now" by someone else and Sakurai while he didn't have to do it anyway said:

"We are thinking about it."

Does it need more? Fine, I guess there's other stuff.

Why he was cut? Time constraints. The unused file proves that he was at least going to be done at one point.

I know what I'm going to say is theory, but I just want to clarify one thing before. I'm not familiar of game development so I may be wrong. I know there's a lot of factor that could influence the time remaining in game development and I'm sure I'm probably not aware of a good amount of them. I only have basic programming knowledge so I can only speak generally about that. It turns out that there IS an evidence of having a not well written source code.

From the development history thread, I bring this evidence:

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=114825

You may not understands what exactly this means, but I can tell that it's pretty lazy.

I have too much complains so, I'll do this quick. You shouldn't repeat yourself in programming, it makes the code a lot harder to read because it's longer for something that is repeated instead of just calling a function that does that. Making the code longer and harder to read is making it also annoying to understands. It's important that it's clear what it does because you don't want to spent more time figuring out the code then actually coding. And if you need to have one elements where 5 of this kind exists, then you should have a class that tells the core function of this elements and sub classes to get a particular kind. That's how you can share data in the game and making them easier to load.

Here, it seems very bad. It's crazy how much duplication it has. Like, just that adds unnecessary loading time (I wondered why they were so slow, I guess I may have gotten my answer). It really seems to have affected the game in the time aspect. The hitboxes are just..ah so bad. If you don't know what a boolean value is, it's like a bit, it worth 0 or 1. 0 is false and 1 is true. It's basically a flag mostly used for conditions (like doing a black of code only if it's true or such). 15 booleans is literally like me saying 15 binary number in succession. It could easily be stocked into an array of 15 booleans and you would have access to all of them from one variable.

I don't understand, but I'm sure it affected the development time. It even got to the point of needing a dual layer disc for the game to work while it was unnecessary.

In fact, I won't tell everything, but I know and there's too much examples of SSE messing up the priority in this game. It turns out that mewtwo was one of them.

In ssb4, I'm confident that there's no more issues like this. Not only SSE got deconfirmed, but smash run pushed repping a lot better. It even cleared my last worry of seeing repping improved for the Paper Mario series. It greatly helps Mewtwo now.

And lastly, in the Greninja's trailer, the hands of him was similar to Mewtwo's one. If you found this not obvious enough, it's at least in evidence in the video so it would be the first thing you would normally notice. I think it's a tease.

He really is the only one so far to get a personal tease by Sakurai in public. I think it means a lot.

Basically, [almost confirmed] and locked on my roster.

This ends my essay as the last 2 don't have any teasing or hard evidences to back up, but they are the only that are unlocked which means that I'm open if I get convinced on the chances of a character to replace or entirely remove. I can tell that I'm a little more open on Shulk tough. I'm tempted to see what happens this week because I think we might see another tease by stage reveal.

This would be updated if necessary, but as a base, it would be unspoiled and will be spoiled if I refer to it afterwards.

</realtalk>

So, those cases are just on [quite likely], but can be changed. I have no hard evidences which means that those are the one I'm the least sure.

KKR

It's mainly because of the popularity. I just have a feeling that seeing Ridley and Mewtwo means hope for him. He's recognized too, but really, I just think that the popularity is so big that it might push it enough. Tough, I don't think I will replace him with dixie (because I'm trying to get why putting her over him).

Like, I don't know he just seems to be a good pick.

Ok, I admit I'm unsure.

Shulk

This one is a little more unsure because tbh, the only reasons I chose him was relevance. Xenoblade seems to be now a part of new Nintendo IP that could worth a rep. You could add popularity too, but he seems a logical choice.

As for the one I considered...

Krystal: I don't know, but now, it's [in the dark]. The stage reveal may have been a tease and after asking in her support thread, I couldn't declare a verdict. Both are possible, but the only thing that might make me put her in is if he reveals further info on that stage and that a tease would be more apparent. For now, it's not playable until confirmed.

I'm tempted to say I did for Issac, but I have to [disdain] as I would need to be more familiar with the series.

OUF!!!

This may have been my longest post after all. I'll put the essay unspoiled, but only this time. It will be in spoiler tags afterwards or any updates.

Take this as you will, I honestly don't know what to expect now that I have hidden the thing for some days to then tell it fully like that. I may be called biased on Paper Mario, but I'm confident enough to not be.

I just want to let you know that I would overhype if this was the truth. Getting this is almost everything I wanted. I let my want side alone you don't realize how getting Ridley AND Paper Mario is just perfect for me. KKR, I'm not sure if neutral or slightly want so it's ok if he's not there. Everything else is neutral. My main for now getting heavy tease in pacman trailer, mewtwo likely, Ridley likely, Paper Mario getting teased and confirmed...

Oh I can't tell you how I'll cry.

I just have to tell one thing I want to because I feel sad for him.

@ScatmansWorld25 , I'm sorry, but I never tough of this trophy theory. I would still want vaati more than Ghirahim, but unfortunately, I can't deny this. We had the same support situation before that stage reveal which unbalanced everything.

I just hope he at least end up an assist please...

Thanks for reading. I'm now hype for this game now that I made this. btw, I respect Sakurai for teasing so much because I realized that speculation is way more fun with those. It brings suspense while everyone has the choice to deny or believe and it may be something intended to be denied to trick you. I will never forget that time when I speculated on Ridley, such fun to decipher 10 seconds and it was hard, but they got it.

So, I don't care anymore. It's going to be good. With or without Paper Mario since Ridley is so safe now. Along with Mewtwo this is so good.

I still can't believe I missed all those teases tough :)
Cut Mewtwo and Wolf, and I basically agree. I don't think the Greninja reveal was a tease for Mewtwo, I thought it was just a reveal like, who's that in the shadows thing. Most of the people who thought it was a tease were people who just really wanted Mewtwo. As for Wolf, one clone is fine but two is too many for SSB4, and I don't think they'd cut Falco. I'd rather have Wolf than Falco but there it is.

Also, I honestly don't know why they'd replace Snake with Shulk. If you're going to have another 3rd party, why replace an old one with a new one? They're keeping the TP versions of Link and Zelda, so I don't think grittiness is an issue. And Snake is more unique than Shulk (sword vs explosive ordinance).

Miscellaneous, KKR is a stretch, and so is Ridley, but neither are impossible. Lucas I'm unsure of. Agree with Dark Pit, Lucina paved the way and he has been heavily teased.

Instead of 54, I think 53 is what it'll end up being, 9x6 grid--your roster minus KKR, Wolf, Mewtwo, Shulk=Snake. I count the Miis as 3 characters and not just 1, and think they'll get 3 slots. Cut down to 50 I'd take away Ridley, Lucas, and ROB.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I agree that we will probably see more clones such as Dr. Mario and Dark Pit; however, I do not agree on Bowser Jr. In the event of Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr. would not be a clone (gods be praised). In fact, I doubt he would be in at all (gods be praised, again).
I was just throwing him out as a possibility.

Morbi

Scavenger
I was just throwing him out as a possibility.
That does not mean that I have to like it. :shades:

View attachment 20688

I doubt this will be the final roster, since the man's unpredictable, but I think the 4 newcomers I have on here (Shulk, Ridley, Dixie, and the Kids) have legitimate chances. And before you say "NO CHORUS KIDS #GEMATSUDEAD", I still think they have a chance. If it's not them, then I'd probably have Isaac or Snake on there, maybe?

And, to be honest, I still feel really uncertain about Lucas. Maybe my pessimism is acting up.
If you are pessimistic about Lucas... might I suggest adding Dark Pit or Black Shadow? :troll:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

View attachment 20688

It hit's on my 3 criteria for a good roster at the moment 1.) Shulk 2.) Ridley 3.) A DK Rep. Bonus points for having both Mother reps.

Honestly, I am hoping for something like this and I think it will not be far off from the final roster, although there are still a few additional characters I would REALLY like to make it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I DO like the idea of Black Shadow, but not Dark Pit. So there. We can meet halfway. That's the best you'll do with me.
A victory, nevertheless!

Cut Mewtwo and Wolf, and I basically agree. I don't think the Greninja reveal was a tease for Mewtwo, I thought it was just a reveal like, who's that in the shadows thing. Most of the people who thought it was a tease were people who just really wanted Mewtwo. As for Wolf, one clone is fine but two is too many for SSB4, and I don't think they'd cut Falco. I'd rather have Wolf than Falco but there it is.

Also, I honestly don't know why they'd replace Snake with Shulk. If you're going to have another 3rd party, why replace an old one with a new one? They're keeping the TP versions of Link and Zelda, so I don't think grittiness is an issue. And Snake is more unique than Shulk (sword vs explosive ordinance).

Miscellaneous, KKR is a stretch, and so is Ridley, but neither are impossible. Lucas I'm unsure of. Agree with Dark Pit, Lucina paved the way and he has been heavily teased.

Instead of 54, I think 53 is what it'll end up being, 9x6 grid--your roster minus KKR, Wolf, Mewtwo, Shulk=Snake. I count the Miis as 3 characters and not just 1, and think they'll get 3 slots. Cut down to 50 I'd take away Ridley, Lucas, and ROB.
No. Wolf is not a clone, a clone entails that the character shares their move-set with another character. Who does Wolf share his move-set with, it certainly is not Fox or Falco. Is Wolf a Dark Pit clone or something? They share a projectile and a reflector! He is not even a semi-clone, as that would insinuate that they share half of their moves. Wolf has similar (similar =/= congruent) specials with completely and utterly unique properties and aesthetics. Landmaster and (kind-of, sort-of) reflector... Landmaster and (kind-of, sort-of) reflector. Please, Sakurai. Change these two moves so I do not need to hear of it any longer.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake

View attachment 20688

If it had snake on there that roster would please me completely, but ill respect your reasoning for not having him there for now.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here is my 54 character Best-Case scenario roster.

54 Character Roster Roster.png

Have fun with it! The worst case scenario is, all unrevealed newcomers are removed except for Ridley and Shulk.

EDIT: For reference, here's the likelihood for some of these characters:

- Lucas = 100%.
- Ridley = 99%.
- Snake = 70%.
- King K Rool = 75%.
- Shulk = 90%.
- Dixie Kong = 80%.
- Ghirahim = 50%.
- Everyone else = 100%.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
[/IMG] Just saw this on 4chan.. this is in tandem with another leak I saw on gamefaqs' super smash bros. For wiiU posted by a user named Dave923 which claimed bubbles was in the upcoming game as a playable character. Looking into this at first I questioned the possibility of bubbles being in, then after I looked into it I noticed Clu Clu Land (Bubble's game) was created by none other than Gunpei Yokoi, the creator of Kid Icarus, which as everyone knows was revived by Sakurai in Brawl. Looking more, I noticed that Bubbles appeared in Donkey Kong: King of swing, a DS game. This brings to mind ROB who made an appearance in Mario Kart DS. While I'm sceptical still, Bubbles seems infinitely more likely than she did before, and this leak shouldn't be ignored or totally denied.
Bubbles finally getting some love! I don't even care that this is clearly fake.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

View attachment 20692

Have fun with it! The worst case scenario is, all unrevealed newcomers are removed except for Ridley and Shulk.
Well, overall it's a pretty ideal roster that isn't too unrealistic. Though I am skeptical of the chances of Ghirahim, Snake returning, and four Donkey Kong characters, they definitely aren't out of the question. So...

9/10: Excellent roster overall and is within the realm of possibility.

Morbi

Scavenger

View attachment 20692

As per usual, if you decided to remove that weird character in between Ganondorf and Toon Link for Dark Pit, you would have the most plausible roster on the forums.

Bubbles finally getting some love! I don't even care that this is clearly fake.
Bubbles does not deserve love.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
As per usual, if you decided to remove that weird character in between Ganondorf and Toon Link for Dark Pit, you would have the most plausible roster on the forums.

Bubbles does not deserve love.
Bubbles does deserve love. Every retro rep deserves to be remembered and not fall into obscurity.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 20692

- Lucas = 100%.
- Ridley = 99%.
- Snake = 70%.
- King K Rool = 75%.
- Shulk = 90%.
- Dixie Kong = 80%.
- Ghirahim = 50%.
- Everyone else = 100%.
Replace someone with Bandana Dee and you got yerself a darn tootin fine roster

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

View attachment 20692

- Lucas = 100%.
- Ridley = 99%.
- Snake = 70%.
- King K Rool = 75%.
- Shulk = 90%.
- Dixie Kong = 80%.
- Ghirahim = 50%.
- Everyone else = 100%.
Needs moar Paper Mario.
I find Snake to be very unlikely at this point as well.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, overall it's a pretty ideal roster that isn't too unrealistic. Though I am skeptical of the chances of Ghirahim, Snake returning, and four Donkey Kong characters, they definitely aren't out of the question. So...

9/10: Excellent roster overall and is within the realm of possibility.
I did say "best case scenario".

Of course, I did forget Paper Mario.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
The stage is clearly the Wii U version of battlefield, yet the character has outlines?

So obviously fake that it hurts. Not to mention the blurry photo; I have no idea why anyone would think that it makes it seem more legit.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
The best-case scenario roster would've been Miis, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja removed with no cuts at all with Kenith's newcomer additions. :troll:
I will simultaneously tone my thighs and kick your butt mister

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
August is apparently National Princess Peach month. . . I don't know if that will affect Smash in any way shape or form but maybe we'll see an alt costume. I seriously doubt it, but Luigi was revealed in celebration of "The Year of Luigi" I think.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The best-case scenario roster would've been Miis, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja removed with no cuts at all with Kenith's newcomer additions. :troll:
Nah, in that scenario there's no real point in cutting those newcomers.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
August is apparently National Princess Peach month. . . I don't know if that will affect Smash in any way shape or form but maybe we'll see an alt costume. I seriously doubt it, but Luigi was revealed in celebration of "The Year of Luigi" I think.
Yes, but the August Direct he was revealed in was centered around the Year of Luigi.

mark welford

Smash Ace
we all have personal preferences and when it comes to this type of thing it holds true because of different tastes and the mass's thirst will never be quenched when the next smash installment comes out were always left wanting more than what we had before more of everything

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
we all have personal preferences and when it comes to this type of thing it holds true because of different tastes and the mass's thirst will never be quenched when the next smash installment comes out were always left wanting more than what we had before more of everything
Indeed. "Spoken like a true politician;" however, I find myself extremely fortunate that Sakurai and I have vastly similar preferences.

Dark Pit confirmed.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I think it's universally agreed that, at this point, all "leaked" images are badly edited SSB Wii U/3DS screenshots (which are then blurred, I guess to make them look more mysterious?) and thus fake, and should not ever be taken seriously.

I think Bubbles could be an Assist character this time around, and multielmuchacho has a good point about her being a creation of the late Gunpei Yokoi. His death, I think, is the reason R.O.B. is honored in various games in the form of cameos (R.O.B. has significance outside of that, though, while Bubbles is about as relevant as the Ice Climbers).

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I have a gut feeling that we will still be seeing Snake in Smash, even though the odds have seemed to turn against him.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
My biggest problem with Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion is that I didn't think of it myself.

Genius idea.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
WFT, G&W, and ROB are oddities we have to accept and live with. The only scenario they might get cut in is a reboot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom