• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Nah, I know of plenty of people who aren't for her at all. I support her myself, but I can also see why certain people don't want her. I'll take it you'd rather have 3 reps?
Not really. I don't mind having more characters from a series, it's just that I don't want Krystal to be one of them.

Am I the only one who's expecting like 2-3 more newcomers? I'm still genuinely thinking we'll get the 48-slot roster due to the size limitations on both the Wii U and the 3DS.Maybe I'm being realistic, but who knows, we could have more characters.
I'm expecting at least five more. I think 51 characters is a perfect number for the roster, with a 52nd slot for Random. Pretty sure Ridley and a Zelda rep (Ghirahim?) are in, and I expect another DK rep (K. Rool?) and a couple unexpected ones (maybe the rumored Chorus Kids and Shulk). Also that'd make around 17 newcomers, which fits with the Smash Bros. roster growth from previous entries (14 in Melee and 16 in Brawl, I think). I'm pretty sure most of the Brawl roster will be back, maybe with one or two being cut (Snake and someone else, but I'm not sure who).

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure most of the Brawl roster will be back, maybe with one or two being cut (Snake and someone else, but I'm not sure who).
Most likely Ivysaur and Squirtle, because Charizard is his own character now. If they put those two back in, there will be six Pokemon, which is already a lot, not even considering Jigglypuff or Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I'm just saying, if Toon Link is back, then Lucas is back.
Not really. Lucas could be cut for entirely different reasons than 'clone', like Ness absorbing some of his moves becoming almost an amalgamation of the two.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Not really. Lucas could be cut for entirely different reasons than 'clone', like Ness absorbing some of his moves becoming almost an amalgamation of the two.
But then whose Up Smash do you keep? THEY ARE BOTH AMAZING.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not Shulk...?
Shulk is honestly more expected than wanted for me, I wouldn't lose sleep over his omission.

Am I the only one who's expecting like 2-3 more newcomers? I'm still genuinely thinking we'll get the 48-slot roster due to the size limitations on both the Wii U and the 3DS.Maybe I'm being realistic, but who knows, we could have more characters.
I'm pretty much the same, with expecting 2-3 more, with 4 being the absolute limit. Chorus Kids, Shulk, K. Rool, and a retro ( either Muddy Mole or Mach Rider).

As far as vets, I expect Wario, the Ice Climbers, Meta Knight, Ness, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Falco, Wolf, ROB, Mr. Game and Watch, and Ganondorf. Anyone not on either list seems unlikely at best at this point to me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm just saying, if Toon Link is back, then Lucas is back.
Potentially. And honestly I don't doubt that, at least not very much. Lucas has quite a few differences to make him stand out from Ness. Particularly his Kicks, Up-Smash, and the Rope Snake. Though, as others have said, what works for one character won't work for them all. And he could still be cut regardless of Toon Link or Lucina.

It could be that Lucas' moves will act as some of Ness' variant Specials.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
There was a small delay, that's right. That's what I'm hoping for, I'm really hoping he's just trying to add in all the characters. I need my Lucas.

As for a potential decloned moveset, I think the majority of his regular moves are okay, they're different enough (save for his Side Smash). I would change one or two specials though, and that'd be golden.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Having Lucas as a skin for Ness (with his own sound files and name and all that) after Frankensteining their moves together would be upsetting but it would be better then nothing. I would just feel salty about it since both characters have a lot of potential and Lucina, the cloniest of clones, got her own roster spot.

@ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous speaking of changing the specials, did you see @xLemmy_KoopaX's move list a page back?

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
There was a small delay, that's right. That's what I'm hoping for, I'm really hoping he's just trying to add in all the characters. I need my Lucas.

As for a potential decloned moveset, I think the majority of his regular moves are okay, they're different enough (save for his Side Smash). I would change one or two specials though, and that'd be golden.
Yeah, give him a different Down Special. And have PK freeze function differently, so that it's more unique than a Ice version of PK Flash.

I would agree that the only normal move I'd change is his Forward Smash. Maybe a really strong push of psychic energy or something.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Having Lucas as a skin for Ness (with his own sound files and name and all that) after Frankensteining their moves together would be upsetting but it would be better then nothing. I would just feel salty about it since both characters have a lot of potential and Lucina, the cloniest of clones, got her own roster spot.
I never thought that I'd hear someone other than Toon Link be called "The Cloniest of Clones". What a magical time we live in.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I don't think Lucas would be a skin. It'd be really insulting.

Like imagine if they made Mewtwo a Pokeball in Brawl.
I'd much rather Lucas be cut than a costume. At least he could be DLC then.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I never thought that I'd hear someone other than Toon Link be called "The Cloniest of Clones". What a magical time we live in.
I like Lucina and am glad she got a spot, but she makes Roy look like his own character.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Yeah, give him a different Down Special. And have PK freeze function differently, so that it's more unique than a Ice version of PK Flash.

I would agree that the only normal move I'd change is his Forward Smash. Maybe a really strong push of psychic energy or something.
I like how PM did Lucas, change PK fire to a ice effect and call it PK freeze, then change his neutral and down specials to something brand new and violia, awesome lucas is awesome

Niala

Smash Ace
I like how PM did Lucas, change PK fire to a ice effect and call it PK freeze, then change his neutral and down specials to something brand new and violia, awesome lucas is awesome
Conversely, Lucas is my favourite character to play in Brawl and I really dislike his PM counterpart. Now, that's mostly because PM as a game behaves differently, and I don't find his skillset as applicable in PM. My point, however, is that if Lucas is heavily changed like that, I'd lose my favourite character and probably be sad about it. :(

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Conversely, Lucas is my favourite character to play in Brawl and I really dislike his PM counterpart. Now, that's mostly because PM as a game behaves differently, and I don't find his skillset as applicable in PM. My point, however, is that if Lucas is heavily changed like that, I'd lose my favourite character and probably be sad about it. :(
Sorry friend, that's the worst, I've had my secondaries cut from melee to brawl (Ylink and Roy) so I know the pain (Toon Link is not Young Link, I will never accept that impersonator)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, Toon Link isn't really trying to impersonate Young Link considering he's treated as a veteran from Brawl....

And I also wouldn't act that the appearance of Toon Link or Lucina would mean that Lucas is certainly back (not that he should or would be cut or anything). That's.... not exactly a good attitude to have imo since their circumstances each are probably different..... :/

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well, Toon Link isn't really trying to impersonate Young Link considering he's treated as a veteran from Brawl....

And I also wouldn't act that the appearance of Toon Link or Lucina would mean that Lucas is certainly back (not that he should or would be cut or anything). That's.... not exactly a good attitude to have imo since their circumstances each are probably different..... :/
I meant Toon Link replaced Young Link. I moslty say it becasue when I say I miss young link people tell me to suck it up becasue we have toon link.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Ridley and K. Rool cannot make effective clones at all, and Ghirahim would be better as a clone of Sheik than anyone.
Nah. King K. Rool is too lame to have his own moveset. He'll be lucky if he even gets chosen to be a clone.
:troll:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I meant Toon Link replaced Young Link. I moslty say it becasue when I say I miss young link people tell me to suck it up becasue we have toon link.
Oh I see, I'm not too interested in Young Link myself but I can understand why some would miss using him but since they changed the rest of the OoT cast with their TP esque designs (including Sheik), I suppose it would have only made sense to replace Young Link with Toon Link instead.

I kinda would have liked to use OoT adult Link again myself sometimes.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Oh I see, I'm not too interested in Young Link myself but I can understand why some would miss using him but since they changed the OoT adult incarnations with their TP esque designs (including Sheik), I suppose it would have only made sense to replace Young Link with Toon Link instead.

I kinda would have liked to use OoT adult Link again myself sometimes.
Yea it was amoce that made sense, and even though I love Young Link and he was my secondary melee main, Toon Link was the logical choice. He just played so differently from Young Link it was frustrating to lose the playstyle and the character.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Most likely Ivysaur and Squirtle, because Charizard is his own character now. If they put those two back in, there will be six Pokemon, which is already a lot, not even considering Jigglypuff or Mewtwo.
I meant besides Squirtle and Ivysaur, of course. Personally I think Lucas is the most likely to get cut, but ROB could be out too.

sbdipp

Smash Rookie
Ironically, when speculation for this game first started, the only two consensus "guarantees" were Mewtwo and a DK newcomer...

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
i just watched a video of some guy's top 10 wishlist, and he had the farmer from harvest moon...why have I never thought of that? I love Harvest moon. Anyone at all else with me?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ironically, when speculation for this game first started, the only two consensus "guarantees" were Mewtwo and a DK newcomer...
Most people also considered Little Mac a shoe-in.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Palutena and Mega Man as well.
Mega Man did still have a fair number of detractors though, mainly on Gamefaqs. Palutena was surely considered third most likely after Little Mac and a DKC newcomer, but there was still the whole "Sakurai's modesty" thing back then. Heck, today we're discussing Sakurai's bias, how things have changed :p

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mega Man did still have a fair number of detractors though, mainly on Gamefaqs. Palutena was surely considered second most likely after Little Mac and a DKC newcomer, but there was still the whole "Sakurai's modesty" thing back then. Heck, today we're discussing Sakurai's bias, how things have changed :p
What a time to be alive. :p

But I admittedly wasn't taking FAQS into account. Mainly due to many of them thinking Owain was a shoo-in, haha.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You're forgetting Chrom. You pretty much got insulted if you so much as questioned his inclusion.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
i just watched a video of some guy's top 10 wishlist, and he had the farmer from harvest moon...why have I never thought of that? I love Harvest moon. Anyone at all else with me?
I would love that. I'm a fan of the series since I played the HM:64. However, Villager uses similar tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom