• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
What do you guys think of shulk? After "Monado Monday" I've seen a lot of people say he won't be in, simply because they say gematsu was wrong. So do you think he will be playable?
To those who say he "won't be in"... correlation does not imply causation. Just because the Gematsu leak's validity is very questionable, it does not necessitate its given characters are (the Chorus Kids are a special exception, since initially their support-base was built on Sal Romano's source). They have reached unwarranted conclusions. I will state, topically, the hype train-wreck derailment was rather hilarious (#NeverForgetMonadoMonday), even though I support Shulk.

That said, I would calculate a good-to-great chance Shulk will be a playable character, and an even higher probability in Xenoblade series' representation (with or without a playable Shulk). It is all just a matter of time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I try not to show any anger against anyone in this fanbase, but one thing that irks me is "slots". Slots don't exist, they never existed, and no characters stop other characters from getting in. Wether or not the Wii Fit Trainer got in or not does not decide if Skull Kid was to be playable, or Takamaru or Ashley. They were all decided to be assist trophies for a reason. Sakurai didn't want them playable. For example, Pac-Man was decided to be put in the game because Sakurai wanted him in. WFT is in because Sakurai wanted them in. Lucina was decided to be put in because Sakurai wanted her in. Takamaru isn't in because Sakurai didn't want him in.
For exmaple, let's take a look at Meowth. Meowth is a very interesting Pokemon, because there was a time Meowth was going to be in the N64 Smash Bros, along with a lot of others. But Meowth later was decided to not be in the game, because of time restraints and because Sakurai decided that Meowth wouldn't fit into the game nicely. Jigglypuff, on the other hand, was able to get an entire moveset easily, and was decided to be in, and at one time they existed side by side. Jigglypuff did not replace Meowth; Meowth was cut and Jiggles survived.
There's a lot of other characters who could've gotten in. Bowser, Peach, Wario, King Dedede, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Mew, Meowth, Pit, Toad, Banjo-Kazooie, and James Bond were all considered for the game. But each of them were cut for different reasons. None of them were "replaced" by another, and was only removed do to time restraints or due to rendering issues or moveset issues.

tl;dr Slots aren't a thing, and no character stops another character from getting in.
Ironically, by discussing something that irks you, you've managed to do something that irks me. And that's make false (albeit common) claims about characters being planned for Smash.
There is no legitimate source on any character planned for Smash 64 outside of Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo, in which Sakurai actually admits that they were planned but had to be scrapped for hardware issues underneath the results of a poll he conducted that featured all three within the Top 10 voted by fans (as well as Peach, Wario, Ganondorf, Mew, Toad, Banjo, and James Bond, which is where the misconception about them being planned comes from).
Meowth and Pit? Nothing but a rumor that was eventually perceived as fact after years of being passed on by word of mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staarih

Smash Master

Wouldnt this roster be awesome??
This is pretty much the ideal roster which I'm sure not many would have much (if anything) against. Of course, everyone wants for personal favorites in as well and I'd add Paper Mario and Snake to this particular roster haha... but then again, Ridley, K. Rool and Isaac are in which would be enough for me.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Best case scenario if you ask me, sadly I doubt this will be what we'll get.
We'll we're not going to get King K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac and Mewtwo all at the same time for starters.

Not because I hate them or anything, but more so the crossover fallacy that all of the fan favorites will be shoved in. This isn't new for Super Smash Bros., or crossovers in general.

Not to mention Ridley is a boss on Pyrosphere, and I have a lot of doubts for the others too.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We'll we're not going to get King K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac and Mewtwo all at the same time for starters.

Not because I hate them or anything, but more so the crossover fallacy that all of the fan favorites will be shoved in. This isn't new for Super Smash Bros., or crossovers in general.
True, this does tend to generally happen in crossovers. Heck, even Brawl didn't include every single fan favorite in.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Let's not get into that discussion again.

Instead, let's talk about a fresh and innovative topic that is surely not been beaten to death.
Haven't we beaten most topics to death at this point? It's hard to find a topic that hasn't already been thoroughly discussed.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Dark Pit's hypothetical FS:troll:
Three Sacred Treasures - Dark Pit equips himself with the Three Sacred Treasures from Kid Icarus: Uprising. He then starts shooting in several directions including upwards which causes beams of light to fall from the sky.

Done

D

Deleted member

Warning Received
Dark Three Sacred Treasures - Dark Pit equips himself with the Three Sacred Treasures from Kid Icarus: Uprising. He then starts shooting in several directions including upwards which causes beams of darkness to fall from the sky.

Done
Fixed

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
My 5 clones:

Ghirahim - Robin
Chrom - Ike
Ridley - charizard
Captain toad - Mario
King K Rool - DDD

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

Wouldnt this roster be awesome??
You lose a point for me on Ridley, but gain 1 on Rool and a thousand on Issac, plus no Bandanna dee or Krystal gets anphter point. So for me that ranks somewhere around 1002/10 (Could have gotten the big 1003 though, near perfect)

You lose a point for me on Ridley, but gain 1 on Rool and a thousand on Issac, plus no Bandanna dee or Krystal gets anphter point. So for me that ranks somewhere around 1002/10 (Could have gotten the big 1003 though, near perfect)
@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman It's a stretch but I have a rool texture over DDD and it suits him pretty well. Brawlify his specials and its passable. Now it's not what he deserves but it's a functional move

Woops that was supposed to be one post, not sure why it chose to quote instead fo edit. Sorry Mods

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's definitely a plausible roster, but there's nothing on it that really excites me.
Nowadays people only care about conservative safe picks that won't be criticized and scrutinized with the likes of Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Shulk. Color me impressed.

If that leak is real, our minds will be blown away with more unusual yet unique choices like Chorus Men, Duck Hunt Dog, and Bowser Jr. in the Koopa Clown Car.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nowadays people only care about conservative safe picks that won't be criticized and scrutinized with the likes of Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Shulk. Color me impressed.

If that leak is real, our minds will be blown away with more unusual yet unique choices like Chorus Men, Duck Hunt Dog, and Bowser Jr. in the Koopa Clown Car.
Or maybe its just because people want those characters and expect them to be playable? I wouldn't be blown away by Chorus Men, Duck Hunt Dog, or Bowser Jr. In fact, that'd be an incredibly disappointing roster to me. Most people don't think we're getting the Hype 3 (at least not all of them), so if we do get the Hype 3, it WILL blow away almost everyone.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Maybe so, but I'd rather have the former.
Bowser Jr. would be nice though.

Niala

Smash Ace
Or maybe its just because people want those characters and expect them to be playable? I wouldn't be blown away by Chorus Men, Duck Hunt Dog, or Bowser Jr. In fact, that'd be an incredibly disappointing roster to me. Most people don't think we're getting the Hype 3 (at least not all of them), so if we do get the Hype 3, it WILL blow away almost everyone.
I think this is accurate. Even more-so for me, as I really don't expect Ridley or K.Rool, and have my doubts about Mewtwo. If any of them showed up, I'd be shocked, let alone multiple.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman

I would much rather have requested characters with large fanbases than gimmick characters that not nearly as many people care about. We already have wii fit trainer, we don't need all these random characters like Chorus Men, Duck Hunt Dog, ect.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm with you on that one. I'm mostly pulling for characters I actually know and like. Or at the very least, characters that I feel will be interesting to play as. Which is why I even liked Robin, even though I don't know thing one about Fire Emblem. Probably goes with out saying I like a few of the popular choices too, like Ridley, Shulk, or Mewtwo as well.

I guess the Duck Hunt Dog would be okay. Bowser Jr. wouldn't be that surprising either. The only thing against him is that we have a fair amount of Mario characters. But I don't think I've seen anything to make me remotely interested in the Chorus Men. But that could change I suppose.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Hold on, I'm just gonna throw on my armor for this statement...

Just a moment...

Ahh, ok. That's good.

We shouldn't count Krystal out yet.

*closes helmet*

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Am I the only one who would be really mad if Krystal made it in? I don't like her at all, and I don't know why. I just can't stand her.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At this point the only newcomers I want with at least a decent shot of getting in are K. Rool and Chorus Kids.

For some reason some people think Mewtwo is a newcomer. He's not.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hype characters are of course subjective, and I respect everyone's opinion that K. Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo would be the most exciting trio.

I just personally would prefer one or two of them in and then one more offbeat character.

My 5 clones:

Ghirahim - Robin
Chrom - Ike
Ridley - charizard
Captain toad - Mario
King K Rool - DDD
I actually half want this list of clones just to see the reaction from this community when K. Rool is inhaling enemies, when Ridley smashes his skull against a rock and when Chrom, a deconfirmed character randomly returns as a playable.

Also; Captain Toad. ...Ghirahim's alright too, not Vaati but he's alright.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Am I the only one who would be really mad if Krystal made it in? I don't like her at all, and I don't know why. I just can't stand her.
Nah, I know of plenty of people who aren't for her at all. I support her myself, but I can also see why certain people don't want her. I'll take it you'd rather have 3 reps?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
At this point the only newcomers I want with at least a decent shot of getting in are K. Rool and Chorus Kids.

For some reason some people think Mewtwo is a newcomer. He's not.
Not Shulk...?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hype characters are of course subjective, and I respect everyone's opinion that K. Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo would be the most exciting trio.

I just personally would prefer one or two of them in and then one more offbeat character.

I actually half want this list of clones just to see the reaction from this community when K. Rool is inhaling enemies, when Ridley smashes his skull against a rock and when Chrom, a deconfirmed character randomly returns as a playable.

Also; Captain Toad. ...Ghirahim's alright too, not Vaati but he's alright.
The best part? The blunderbuss has a sucking function. There's Inhale. :p

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who's expecting like 2-3 more newcomers? I'm still genuinely thinking we'll get the 48-slot roster due to the size limitations on both the Wii U and the 3DS.Maybe I'm being realistic, but who knows, we could have more characters.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
A lot of the posters in the Shulk support thread are involved in a long conversation where we basically just talk about anything and socialize. This morning we were talking about ways to differentiate Ness and Lucas while making them feel more authentic to their source games. We also don't want to make them so different that Smash Bros. fans won't recognize them.

I thought @ xLemmy_KoopaX xLemmy_KoopaX did a fine job at revamping their specials, so I am calling him out. Come over here and share that move list!

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
A lot of the posters in the Shulk support thread are involved in a long conversation where we basically just talk about anything and socialize. This morning we were talking about ways to differentiate Ness and Lucas while making them feel more authentic to their source games. We also don't want to make them so different that Smash Bros. fans won't recognize them.

I thought @ xLemmy_KoopaX xLemmy_KoopaX did a fine job at revamping their specials, so I am calling him out. Come over here and share that move list!
Alright, this is the moveset list I made for Lucas and Ness:

Lucas:
B: Offense Up

Basically, charge and your next smash attack gets stronger. Of course, this involves a lot of strategy since you can't charge all the time, and it's just your next smash attack. In the hands of a skilled player, this move could be deadly.
Up B: PK Thunder
I always liked Lucas' PK Thunder a lot. Don't think I would change something here. Note that the weaker DI helps this move a lot.
Side B: Brainshock
Brainshock seems like a pretty fun idea, although it's Kumatora, but it fits the White Mage theme to confuse the enemies. Maybe hit them with a Offense-Up powered Up Smash afterwards?
Down B: PSI Counter
Reflects back anything you don't want to hit you. Affects basically everything, has some lag though, so be careful with using it, similar to Toad. Lucas wants to avoid damage as much as possible since he's a glass-cannon with that moveset, he can potentially do a lot of damage but he's quite light, so a counter would help him a lot.

Lucas just got a gigantic revamp, putting emphasis on strenghtening his smashes to do great damage. Brainshock can help with safely hitting the enemies or to set up some nice combos. However, he's still quite light, and he needs to use the PSI Counter and the Brainshock as versatile defensive tools.

Ness:
B: PK Flash
This move should be strong, but not have too much lag so that it's basically useless. A simple rebalancing can do wonders here.
Up B: Teleport Alpha
Can be used as a horizontal or vertical recovery. Hit Up+B, tilt in one direction, and watch as Ness rushes forward, leaving a trail of flames behind.
Side B: PK Fire
Now that DI is weaker, this move is way better by default. Use it for combos to rack up damage!
Down B: PSI Magnet
Magnet does damage now since Lucas doesn't have Magnet anymore. Used for self-healing, increasing Ness' survivability even more. The healing effect is a bit stronger now.

Ness' initial moveset is OK for the most part, but give him some stun/sleep properties on some new tilts/smashes, representing Hypnosis/Paralyze. Wii Fit Trainer and Villager can do that too, why not Ness? Also, make him a bit harder to kill. He IS the Paladin archetype, after all.

What do you think? I think they would be pretty unique. It really felt like designing a newcomer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom