• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I fail to see the correlation; however, your confidence is exuberant. It makes me want to assert that if Toon Link is back... Dark Pit is back.

As a character, of course
You're right! I have full confidence in Lucas's return, seeing as there would be no reason to cut him if clones are making their presence known in this new installment of smash.

I fail to see why we would have the addition of Lucina and the return of Toon Link at the cost of a character who differentiates himself far better than those two do.

Also, while the argument is made that Toon Link and Lucina are more recent and important, understand that Mother 3 was the last new installment to the franchise, and so far, it appears that Sakurai is paying more attention to what the franchise did last in favor of what their most acclaimed point is. It's the reason why we have a Sticker Star and Thousand Year Door stage. It's the reason we got a Star Fox Assault Stage, and it's the reason why we'll get Ness and Lucas in Smash 4.

Remember these words.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I would love that. I'm a fan of the series since I played the HM:64. However, Villager uses similar tools.
I feel that, but we could give him like sickles, and other plants besides the trees, and cows and chickens, and a horse, and eggs, and everything. God I'm too amped for this

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You're forgetting Chrom. You pretty much got insulted if you so much as questioned his inclusion.
Fire Emblem discussions in general would usually derive into petty insults, they weren't necessarily linked to Chrom. I'm still so happy Fire Emblem turned out as well as it did this game.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
At the time though, it was stupid to think Chrom wasn't playable because we had a leak that was full proof. Now it's clearly not as 100% correct as we originally thought

Morbi

Scavenger
At the time though, it was stupid to think Chrom wasn't playable because we had a leak that was full proof. Now it's clearly not as 100% correct as we originally thought
Of course, you are talking about the leak that was quite clearly plagued with out-dated information and riddled with inconsistencies, correct? I was so STUPID to believe that Robin would make it in above Chrom. What was I thinking? :troll:

Who's Roy? :troll:
Some Mario character.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I am pretty sure Shorts means that it was pretty much unheard of or blasphemous to go against the Gematsu leak, and you'd be crucified, not that anyone was stupid directly. It was just stupid because if you went against it, the things I said above would happen.

But now we have another leak with cult followers that think the same way!

Morbi

Scavenger
I am pretty sure Shorts means that it was pretty much unheard of or blasphemous to go against the Gematsu leak, and you'd be crucified, not that anyone was stupid directly. It was just stupid because if you went against it, the things I said above would happen.

But now we have another leak with cult followers that think the same way!
No one could crucify me because I explained (using objective fact) why I did not believe it. In fact, they left me alone or ignored me when I refuted their arguments. :cool:

Regardless, I praise and worship this new leak for Dark Pit; however, I do not really believe it or speculate in favor of it. Dat Dark Pit though.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Can someone refer me to this new leak?

I need a distraction from Summer reading.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If one of the Earthbound kids had to be revealed first, who would it be?

I would say Ness due to importance (parallel to other franchise reveals), unfortunately. I feel, if both are playable, one of them will remain hidden until the game comes out.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I would love that. I'm a fan of the series since I played the HM:64. However, Villager uses similar tools.
I feel that, but we could give him like sickles, and other plants besides the trees, and cows and chickens, and a horse, and eggs, and everything. God I'm too amped for this
I thought of having Jack be playable pre-Brawl. He'd be awesome, to bad he's an obscure 3rd party.
Oh damn, I didn't realize he was third party too. Well there goes that

Niala

Smash Ace
If one of the Earthbound kids had to be revealed first, who would it be?

I would say Ness due to importance (parallel to other franchise reveals), unfortunately. I feel, if both are playable, one of them will remain hidden until the game comes out.
It was the opposite case with Brawl. Lucas was revealed and Ness wasn't until after release. In my opinion, if Ness is revealed at all before release, that means Lucas was cut.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Palutena and Mega Man as well.
I don't think Palutena counts, I don't think most really considered her a shoe-in until the Palutena leak. A lot of people here didn't expect Mega Man, or didn't think he was a shoe-in, due to Capcom's treatment of Mega Man in recent history. (I personally believe Mega Man was basically guaranteed to be the next third-party character added.)

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Okay, hold on.

BOWSER JR. IN A F****** MARIO KART?

How on EARTH is that valid?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think Palutena counts, I don't think most really considered her a shoe-in until the Palutena leak. A lot of people here didn't expect Mega Man, or didn't think he was a shoe-in, due to Capcom's treatment of Mega Man in recent history. (I personally believe Mega Man was basically guaranteed to be the next third-party character added.)
Palutena was considered by many to be in the Top Five most likely newcomers since Uprising's release. Her detractors were few and far between. Same with Mega Man, really.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
The kart part was later clarified. It's his Koopa Clown Car.
It still is an odd suggestion.

It's clear to me that it's just something someone made in an attempt to capitalize on the confusion Gematsu left.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It was the opposite case with Brawl. Lucas was revealed and Ness wasn't until after release. In my opinion, if Ness is revealed at all before release, that means Lucas was cut.
Not necessarily. If neither aren't revealed any time soon, I'd be concerned for Lucas. But I remember when Marth was revealed a lot of people thought Ike was gone. Like, I just hope one of them is revealed before the release in Japan.

Kinda why I think we're getting another Smash Direct. Like, there's so many characters left to reveal that should be revealed: Wario, Ice Climbers, Ness, Meta Knight, etc.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
It still is an odd suggestion.

It's clear to me that it's just something someone made in an attempt to capitalize on the confusion Gematsu left.
I know a lot of things are possible with this director, but this idea is something I would have to see to believe. You would figure Bowser Jr. would need to fly close to the ground for the most part, lest he become wildly overpowered as a product of being able to fly at any altitude for indefinite lengths of time. Then, Bob-ombs might be a thing, but that's kind of a redundant idea seeing how they're already items. Would his work in a special way? There's so many questions to be asked about implementing a character like that.

Niala

Smash Ace
Not necessarily. If neither aren't revealed any time soon, I'd be concerned for Lucas. But I remember when Marth was revealed a lot of people thought Ike was gone. Like, I just hope one of them is revealed before the release in Japan.

Kinda why I think we're getting another Smash Direct. Like, there's so many characters left to reveal that should be revealed: Wario, Ice Climbers, Ness, Meta Knight, etc.
Sorry, I didn't mean for that to be read as a factual statement, however that if Ness is revealed, I have a feeling that means no Lucas. However, I do agree that we still have a lot of characters still to be revealed, and would like to see a Smash direct before the release as well.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I know a lot of things are possible with this director, but this idea is something I would have to see to believe. You would figure Bowser Jr. would need to fly close to the ground for the most part, lest he become wildly overpowered as a product of being able to fly at any altitude for indefinite lengths of time. Then, Bob-ombs might be a thing, but that's kind of a redundant idea seeing how they're already items. Would his work in a special way? There's so many questions to be asked about implementing a character like that.
Just because something's an item doesn't mean a character can't use it- the Fire Flower and Bowser/Charizard's are similar, Link and TLink's bombs are similar to Bob-bomb already.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If Bowser Jr. were to appear playable. I'd want his moveset to implement a lot of Super Mario Sunshine elements. I'm growing tired of New Super Mario Bros. however, I'd love for his Final Smash to be his Koopa Clown Car. He could throw bombs at his opponents. Here's my Special-Moveset for Bowser Jr. I posted this in the The Uniqueness Tier List Thread:
Neutral-Special: Fire Breath
Same name as Bowser's, but completely different. I figured it would work like this:

Side-Special: Paint Lob
Using his paintbrush, Bowser Jr. lobs paint sticking to the ground for some time. While the paint is on the ground, opposing players will slip if walked on.

Down-Special: Paint Piranha
Using his paintbrush, Bowser Jr. paints the ground underneath him which will eventually create a paint piranha which is seen in Mario Sunshine. Opposing players that approach it will be attacked by the piranha. Only one or two piranhas at a time and they can be destroyed.

Up-Special: Koopa Clown Car
Simple enough, Bowser jr. hops in. Propellers do damage.

Final Smash:
Simple, fly around and throw bombs at your enemies. If someone comes up in yo' grill, punch them in the face.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Fifty nine characters seems way too big, personally.
Ridley is on the roster, so at least he has a justifiable reason.

My new prediction roster

DLC options are : Roy, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Bayonetta and Captain Toad.
For such a large roster, I am not overly fond of it to be honest. Impa is the redeeming factor here.

Just because something's an item doesn't mean a character can't use it- the Fire Flower and Bowser/Charizard's are similar, Link and TLink's bombs are similar to Bob-bomb already.
I suppose it depends on the character. Lip; for instance, was interpreted as deconfirmed as Lip Stick is an item. However, I do agree. It does not materially determine anything... for the most part.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My new prediction roster

DLC options are : Roy, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Bayonetta and Captain Toad.
I don't count Mii's as separate characters, so this would really be 57. I don't think Impa, Krystal, or Snake will be in either. The possibility of Snake being replaced by an AW character I think is fairly likely, though...

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
You're comparing apples to oranges. Fire flower is an item and Bowser and Charizards flamethrower attacks are still specials. Link and Toon Link's bombs have yet to sprout legs and walk. Diddy Kong is actually a better example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom