• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Dark Pit's slim chances aside, what are some alt's people would be happy with?

There is constant discussion of Daisy being a poor choice as an alt for Peach; what if she were an alt for Rosalina, commanding... hmm... let's throw ideas out there!
-Princess Plum
-Goombas
-Bobombs
-Lumas Still
-Chorus Men
-Alfonzo
-Ridley

-Something in game of logic
I can't picture anything for Daisy. She has no prominent companion. How about a possessed golf club or tennis racquet that she can manipulate with dark magic? :troll:

Yeah, Daisy may actually be better as a Peach alt given that Peach uses the aforementioned items in her moveset, as does Daisy.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, in the case of Dark Pit, here's my roster with him. (Your welcome, @ Morbi Morbi )

Bottom is DLC
I would buy absolutely every single one of those DLC characters. Yes, even clone Roy.

Let's see:
Captain Toad? Check. Already satisfied, but let's continue.
Dixie Kong? Nope. Acceptable alternative in K. Rool though.
Duck Hunt Dog? Nope. Mild disappointment.
Bandana Dee? Check.
Vaati? Obviously, it's a Scatman roster(Check)
Impa? Check.

I'd buy it. 100000/10.

Bonus points for also including Isaac and not cutting Wolf.

mark welford

Smash Ace
sorry guys I have not been on in a day or so the part of town I live in has been in a blackout for a day and a half now that I got that out of the way here is my take on that roster some of the characters on the roster are a little bit iffy to be added to the actual game

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's ironic that the word relevant is irrelevant towards the rosters, because all of the characters are relevant to Nintendo, or at least almost all of the time (probably more than 98 percent of the time).
The term is recency.

Irrelevant would mean holding no significance to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Dark Pit's slim chances aside, what are some alt's people would be happy with?

There is constant discussion of Daisy being a poor choice as an alt for Peach; what if she were an alt for Rosalina, commanding... hmm... let's throw ideas out there!
-Princess Plum
-Goombas
-Bobombs
-Lumas Still
-Chorus Men
-Alfonzo
-Ridley

-Something in game of logic
I would certainly be happy for a Dark Pit alternate; however, the chances are so slim unless Sakurai decides that he wants to contradict himself after that fact despite quite blatantly providing us with his criteria. It would be more practical to ask for... ehrm... Skyward Sword alternates for Link and Zelda? It would at least make Link somewhat presentable and SS Zelda was always something I advocated for. Other than that, I would like most former palette swaps to return as more refined alternate costumes, such as Daisy or Blood Falcon.

mark welford

Smash Ace
It's ironic that the word irrelevant is irrelevant towards the rosters, because all of the characters are relevant to Nintendo, or at least almost all of the time (probably more than 98 percent of the time).
The term is recency.

I was reading the 2nd comment and was not paying attention actually im clueless sometimes =/

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's ironic that the word irrelevant is irrelevant towards the rosters, because all of the characters are relevant to Nintendo, or at least almost all of the time (probably more than 98 percent of the time).
The term is recency.

Snake's pretty irrelevant to Nintendo as a whole. Thus proving relevancy is irrelevant even on the actual roster.

This post is also pretty irrelevant. Please ignore it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Snake's pretty irrelevant to Nintendo as a whole. Thus proving relevancy is irrelevant even on the actual roster.

I would ignore this post... but whenever someone says that, I feel obligated to address it.

Relevancy is somewhat relevant to roster discussion (as that is the predominant reason that most people believe most veterans are "shoe-in," they have Smash "relevance"), to an extent that is dependent on the series in question. I do; however, agree that that term is misused DISTURBINGLY often in the Smash speculative community.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

He is part of the 2 percent!

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Here's my roster! If I had to take two out it'd be Duck Hunt Dog and Isaac. Close characters were Ghirahim and King K. Rool.
3DS Roster.png

I still have the Chorus Men simply because I've become a fan.

Morbi

Scavenger
Here's my roster! If I had to take two out it'd be Duck Hunt Dog and Isaac. Close characters were Ghirahim and King K. Rool.
View attachment 20196

I still have the Chorus Men simply because I've become a fan.
No Dark Pit or Black Shadow... not even Ghirahim, is he not "anime" enough for your roster? I question your speculative abilities, good sir! :troll:

Interesting roster, to say the least. I am intrigued; however, why Duck Hunt Dog? He has seen a rise in popularity quite recently, but there is nothing else that would indicate that you determined this based on the Ninka leak.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
No Dark Pit or Black Shadow... not even Ghirahim, is he not "anime" enough for your roster? I question your speculative abilities, good sir! :troll:

Interesting roster, to say the least. I am intrigued; however, why Duck Hunt Dog? He has seen a rise in popularity quite recently, but there is nothing else that would indicate that you determined this based on the Ninka leak.
Oh, I don't believe the leak. I just figured, if Sakurai wants to include a retro rep, DHD would be a prime contender for his notoriety and infamy.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
A lot of new roster predictions have been popping up this past week. Must be getting close to release day...

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh, I don't believe the leak. I just figured, if Sakurai wants to include a retro rep, DHD would be a prime contender for his notoriety and infamy.
I certainly agree with this sentiment, Duck Hunt Dog was the only retro character I ever wanted (as he is the only one that I am familiar with out of the suggestions here on Smashboards) to be perfectly honest. I could see him potentially being in the game myself. I have never really speculated in favor of a retro character for whatever reason (no interest). I am probably going to "add" him to my prediction list myself. :shades:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah I'm pretty eager to see who is on the final roster, I hope it's different than what people predict very commonly.
I am fairly certain that it will be... not "fairly" certain, I suppose. I am absolutely certain. Albeit, it is not going to be that different than my predictions. :smirk:

Probably the most realistic roster possible. Didn't take any chances (outside Krool). I personally don't think Ridley or Mewtwo will be in, but that's just me. 9/10
Is that not a "chance," per se? It is not as though we are going to get every single "obvious Smashboards approved" character on the final roster. So it is a chance in and of itself to predict that we will. :troll:

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I am fairly certain that it will be... not "fairly" certain, I suppose. I am absolutely certain. Albeit, it is not going to be that different than my predictions. :smirk:

Is that not a "chance," per se? It is not as though we are going to get every single "obvious Smashboards approved" character on the final roster. So it is a chance in and of itself to predict that we will. :troll:
Haha yea I typed that out then realized Krool was on there, but I like Rool so I was cool with it. It lost the point for Ridley and Mewtwo, though I'd like mewtwo.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Probably the most realistic roster possible. Didn't take any chances (outside Krool). I personally don't think Ridley or Mewtwo will be in, but that's just me. 9/10
It took a lot for me to add Ridley. I found myself debating whether or not I really think he'll be in. Sakurai needs to be clear about him already. :mad:

Morbi

Scavenger
It took a lot for me to add Ridley. I found myself debating whether or not I really think he'll be in. Sakurai needs to be clear about him already. :mad:
I would recommend reading the original post in conjunction with the second post in the Ridley thread before making your "final" decision as it covers the entire debate fairly accurately.

Swap Ridley with a Rhythm Heaven character, and it's plausible. Mewtwo is more likely to have his "space" take by a newcomer among the likes of Bandanna Dee or some surprise newcomer we don't know about.
It is plausible if he replaces Ridley with "Sneaky Spirit"?!

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
If Sakurai decided to be clear about Ridley's stance in Smash 4, then he wouldn't be able to check the Smash community's insecurity towards Ridley's role in the game for his own enjoyment.

D

Deleted member

It's legit because he used the more internationally appropriate spelling of grey.

First thing that popped in my head.

Well don't you just have a delightful way with words.
I think it is a moot point to even bring up in the first place, honestly.
Sakurai has mentioned a number of difficulties- after he has already overcome them and found a solution. With move set construction, with character proportion, with diversity in gameplay. He furthermore states time and time again just how great of a task his team has done, even on small projects such as the display screen on the menu for the 3DS game. Praise is everywhere. Hurdles are overcome at every turn.
Context. "Proving to be a challenge" isn't implying "This was a problem; I solved it though. No worries!" It's "I'm currently having problems with this."
If it was "proven" or "proved" THEN your point would hold its weight. Not "proving". Basic English rules show that the statement is present tense, not past tense.

I do not believe it even makes sense to bring public light to a problem that has no viable solution; but then again I tend to approach all things Sakurai says from approach of what makes most sense in marketing, since all things at this point he does are promotional.
He didn't announce it to the public, though. He said it in an interview when discussing about the roster and about how the 3DS' technical limitations would be keeping the roster in check.
In fact, the tidbit about the Climbers themselves apparently came to light when the interviewer gave his response on which Nintendo character he wanted to see being the Koopalings as a mob with Sakurai cautioning about the 3DS' limits with characters like the Ice Climbers.
Richard George said:
What Nintendo character would I want added? (A mob of seven Bowser's Koopalings, which prompted Sakurai to caution the 3DS's limits with fighters like the Ice Climbers.)
I remember a post of yours with a not so gentleman in which you were debating something and providing a picture of Snic, and you were less than pleased with his condescending tone. I find it rather ironic that you have adopted using such a similar tone yourself. I follow quite well what has been discussed, thank you.
Actually, the problem I had with him is the same one I currently have with you. You are making claims that aren't accurate and treating them as absolute fact.

The quotation you bring up, by the way, is this:
While I absolutely concede that Nana has much more input than the Luma, the Luma is still a multiple character. The quotation discusses multiple character combatants, and it even goes as far as to say combatants, pluralizing the word. If we are using the quotation that you provided, then it is your arbitrary dismissal that the technical limitations apply more so to Nana than to the Luma. The quotation is brief, a year old, and does not specify what these limitations are. You can *******ize the quotation all you want with your interpretation, but that does not make it what he said.
Calling the kettle black, are we?

Last edited by a moderator:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I do agree that the Ice Climbers being talked about doesn't mean they are confirmed (as they were proving to be a problem at the time of the interview), and it gives no indication whether they're confirmed or not.
If it was "proven" or "proved" THEN your point would hold its weight. Not "proving". Basic English rules show that the statement is present tense, not past tense.
Technically, it's present progressive, a construction of the present tense... knowledge is power.

D

Deleted member

I do agree that the Ice Climbers being talked about doesn't mean they are confirmed (as they were proving to be a problem at the time of the interview), and it gives no indication whether they're confirmed or not.

Technically, it's present progressive, a construction of the present tense... knowledge is power.

Yes, that's true. Though it still isn't past tense. :p

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah I'm pretty eager to see who is on the final roster, I hope it's different than what people predict very commonly.
Isn't it already?

We already got Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja, Robin, and Lucina. None of them were considered likely, and there were plenty of other characters people thought would get in before them (in the case of characters like Robin and Lucina, they got in over a so-called "shoo-in"). The roster is already vastly different than what most people were expecting.

Morbi

Scavenger
Isn't it already?

We already got Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja, Robin, and Lucina. None of them were considered likely, and there were plenty of other characters people thought would get in before them (in the case of characters like Robin and Lucina, they got in over a so-called "shoo-in"). The roster is already vastly different than what most people were expecting.
It will continue to surprise the vast majority as well; however, for seasoned veterans... we will be just as unimpressed as we always were with Sakurai's "attempts" (if you can call them that) to be unpredictable. :troll:

Of course not. The appearance of the Polar Bear in the 3DS exclusive game-mode confirms Ice Climbers... oh and it also confirms a Rhythm Heaven representative while we are at it. :rolleyes:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I have to admit, the newcomers were not what I was expecting. Perhaps hoping for, but not expecting.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Once more, I was not speaking grammatically, I was speaking on the illogical nature that Sakurai would bring current and major gameplay problems to the press.

The fact that he addressed his concerns with the Ice Climbers seemed to indicate that he had resolved them, as multiple other problems he had brought up in the past were in relation to him addressing them as hurdles he had overcome. My statement was that this was another scenario of said being the case, because it is poor marketing to flaunt your weaknesses (particularly before the game even comes out), yet allows him to maintain the secrecy of the IC's still being unrevealed. I would even argue that it could have been one of the many statements he said to add doubt into the confirmation of a character (which he has done with newcomers and veterans all around, for the big reveals to mean more, but this is another topic altogether).

It had absolutely nothing to do with grammatical tense, nor the fact that still using that quotation as any "proof "that the ice climbers are cut is a huge bastardization of his words.

Furthermore, If he wanted to announce that they were cut, he would have done so the same way he has disconfirmed all the other characters, as he is aware they have a huge following. I will concede that my over generalization that there is no evidence that they are not in the game was in fact false, and in ratify that statement to there is little evidence which does not stand up under further analysis.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Does anyone recognize the enemy in the bottom left corner? The closest thing to it I could find are the Pigtunias from Mother 3.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Of course not. The appearance of the Polar Bear in the 3DS exclusive game-mode confirms Ice Climbers... oh and it also confirms a Rhythm Heaven representative while we are at it. :rolleyes:
While the Sneaky Spirit is odd, I'm not sure it confirms anything yet. But it would be a slap in the face to see Polar Bear and Sneaky Spirit and not Ice Climbers and a RH rep.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Does anyone recognize the enemy in the bottom left corner? The closest thing to it I could find are the Pigtunias from Mother 3.
I don't recognize the enemy... but it looks like something right out of Golden Sun. :p I can't find any references for it, though, so I'm probably completely wrong about it.

EDIT: Yeah, I figured it was probably from Uprising.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Once more, I was not speaking grammatically, I was speaking on the illogical nature that Sakurai would bring current and major gameplay problems to the press.

The fact that he addressed his concerns with the Ice Climbers seemed to indicate that he had resolved them, as multiple other problems he had brought up in the past were in relation to him addressing them as hurdles he had overcome. My statement was that this was another scenario of said being the case, because it is poor marketing to flaunt your weaknesses (particularly before the game even comes out), yet allows him to maintain the secrecy of the IC's still being unrevealed. I would even argue that it could have been one of the many statements he said to add doubt into the confirmation of a character (which he has done with newcomers and veterans all around, for the big reveals to mean more, but this is another topic altogether).

It had absolutely nothing to do with grammatical tense, nor the fact that still using that quotation as any "proof "that the ice climbers are cut is a huge *******ization of his words.

Furthermore, If he wanted to announce that they were cut, he would have done so the same way he has disconfirmed all the other characters, as he is aware they have a huge following. I will concede that my over generalization that there is no evidence that they are not in the game was in fact false, and in ratify that statement to there is little evidence which does not stand up under further analysis.
It is also illogical (perhaps even more so) to assert a presumptuous perspective over the one presented to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom