• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I don't have to if Dark Pit isn't a separate playable character.

So I should be alright.
Fair enough, how about we talk about Mewtwo's situation at this point? i still think it's really likely for him to come back, but it's clear that not everything points in that direction.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Fair enough, how about we talk about Mewtwo's situation at this point? i still think it's really likely for him to come back, but it's clear that not everything points in that direction.
I honestly think he has lesser of a chance than what I previous thought. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think he's about a 60% right now.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I don't think Mewtwo's coming back. I think that once you're out, you're out. Plus, he could've easily used Mewtwo as the sixth gen candy, but opted for a Pokemon we knew nothing about that looked cool.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think he has a lot going for him, but I don't think he's a guarantee. At the very least, though, the one thing that really seems to be in his way at this point is the "slots" argument, but I think Lucina's inclusion just further proves that those don't matter.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
So let's talk about Rayman.

Somebody mentioned his name on accident when talking about new characters in a Nintendo video.

Mistake? Or just a slip of the tongue?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
In my opinion, I think that he is supposed to be in the game.
Three Reasons:
1-I think with the fact that he wasn't in Brawl to what appeared to be time constraints means that they will for sure try to get him in again. If I read correctly, Mewtwo has supposed to have been in all three Smash Bros. I don't know why he wouldn't be in now. His situation is different from Roy because 1. Mewtwo was never a clone and 2. There is no character that is better to tke on his move set. A Marth clone should only be Lucina. No one more recent or popular can really take Mewtwo's moves.
2- He is one of the most well know Pokemon, and one of the most requested characters.
3- You can't tell me Greninja's fin and webbing of his fingers were removed for no reason at all.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Your point is still absolutely asinine. Bringing up people's sensibilities as a point AGAINST dark pit is a null point, since there's content throughout all media pertaining to religiosity and evil. Just because Dark Pit is "a fallen angel" we can't have him in the game? Let's just ignore the fact that he is NOTHING like the figure of Lucifer in the Biblical story.
I did not say he had anything to do with technically being Lucifer in the Bible (rather than being perceived as). I did not even say it was likely a cause of an, I brought up the point as a merit of discussion, not to simply be dismissed because a user finds it unlikely, personally, based on... absolutely nothing but his ability to throw names around, and the phrase 'Separation of church and state.'

Does anyone else know more about what actually has gotten games banned in different regions? I know that China had a console ban for thirteen years (which, as a reason alone, makes it enough of a district to make sure would not block the trade or purchase of the game, huge sales happen within China).

Injustice: Gods among us was banned in the United Arab Emirate for it's use of God's in the title and storyline.

Again, I'm not saying this means Dark Pit is not a playable character, at all. I'm just opening it up as a means of discussion, because it is often just a moot point when it comes to Nintendo, as we rarely have to think about any of its content being banned, bt in the case of a playable fallen angel, I could absolutely see it raising some questions in more strict areas.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I did not say he had anything to do with Lucifer in the Bible. I did not even say it was likely a cause of an, I brought up the point as a merit of discussion, not to simply be dismissed because a user finds it unlikely, personally, based on... absolutely nothing but his ability to throw names around, and the phrase 'Separation of church and state.'

Does anyone else know more about what actually has gotten games banned in different regions? I know that China had a console ban for thirteen years (which, as a reason alone, makes it enough of a district to make sure would not block the trade or purchase of the game, huge sales happen within China).

Injustice: Gods among us was banned in the United Arab Emirate for it's use of God's in the title and storyline.

Again, I'm not saying this means Dark Pit is not a playable character, at all. I'm just opening it up as a means of discussion, because it is often just a moot point when it comes to Nintendo, as we rarely have to think about any of its content being banned, bt in the case of a playable fallen angel, I could absolutely see it raising some questions in more strict areas.
So an angel is fine... but a FALLEN angel is not?! Oh religion, you so arbitrary gurl! Regardless, Palutena is probably the more controversial pick from that perspective.

I will now attempt to argue that Dark Pit would not be made a playable character because, as a fallen angel, he would be considered Lucifer in many places. Devil alone caused some issues as the AT, but having a playable Satan... I'm just wondering what countries that had issue with Injustice would do. Would the game even clear in certain regions? To play as a fallen angel just so flippantly?

Slightly a joke.

Slightly.
However, I have to note... you did quite literally establish a correlation between Pit and Lucifer in your post.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I still think Roy could be a skin for Lucina :drshrug:

Also i'm not sure if Mewtwo will be playable these time, but i hope so :dr^_^:
If this happens I will puke.

Making a character an Alt, turning them into that character makes me absolutely sick.

I'd rather have this type of thing:

I'm sorry, but I feel like it's spitting in the characters face to do that to them. Especially if they still call Roy, Lucina. Oh my God.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So let's talk about Rayman.

Somebody mentioned his name on accident when talking about new characters in a Nintendo video.

Mistake? Or just a slip of the tongue?
Well, there are now a couple of third party characters that are referred to as "Man," and a Rayman trophy was revealed recently, so it may have been on the person's mind. I'm thinking it's more likely the guy got the names mixed up than Rayman actually being playable.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Fine, I concede; absolutely nothing religiously oriented in the greek mythology based Kid Icarus games-
Let us quarrel over wording rather than actual happenings in the world, or the socio-economic ramifications of the video game industry, and not take a look at this for further discussion.

Geese sometimes this thread's participants have more tunnel vision than the Ridley thread.

Morbi

Scavenger
Fine, I concede; absolutely nothing religiously oriented in the greek mythology based Kid Icarus games-
Let us quarrel over wording rather than actual happenings in the world, or the socio-economic ramifications of the video game industry, and not take a look at this for further discussion.

Geese sometimes this thread's participants have more tunnel vision than the Ridley thread.
Hehehe. I am not sure if that was directed at me or not; however, I never dismissed the notion as irrelevant. I just fail to see what would change in regards to Smash as Sakurai is the creative director that brought Kid Icarus to life. As far as I am aware, there was no controversy. My only point of reference in terms of religion in video-games was the removal of Favela from Modern Warfare 2 as some Islamic cult was offended.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire

"People don't want to talk about what I want to talk about, therefore closemindedness"
No, what we're saying is that you're making an issue out of a non-issue. Also, you brought up a point, and we countered it (Discussion 101, meet you after class).

"Fine, I concede; absolutely nothing religiously oriented in the greek mythology based Kid Icarus games- "
What? My point was never "nothing religiously oriented" my point was that while there ARE religious references, they have no correlation as to whether a character is added to the game or not.

You also brought up the idea of the game being banned, let me counter that as well. Kid Icarus Uprising wasn't banned: if so facto any content originating from Kid Icarus Uprising and implemented into Smash would have no reason to be banned either.

And last but not least, if you want to talk about actual happenings in the world this is not the board for that.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What?

Dark Pit = Satan?

But I thought Hades is supposed to be Satan!?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Oh c'mon we're not that ba-

Err...where were we?

Oh right; Dark Pit.

I can see what you mean to some extent; Tamagon was removed from the trophy list for both NTSC(although obtainable through hacking) and PAL versions of Melee merely for having the word 'demon' in his game...

However I'm presuming although Lucifer was indeed a fallen angel, Dark Pit probably wouldn't suffer in this version any more than the Dark Pit alt in Brawl did.

At least it's not Hades I guess. Arguably that could be worse.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If this happens I will puke.

Making a character an Alt, turning them into that character makes me absolutely sick.

I'd rather have this type of thing:

I'm sorry, but I feel like it's spitting in the characters face to do that to them. Especially if they still call Roy, Lucina. Oh my God.
Sakurai already proved that it doesn't matter if the character has a different name, in fact, Lucina was going to be an alt. If Roy was an alt of Lucina at this point, they'd call him by a different name as well.

That said, because Lucina was already an alt I don't think she'll have her own alt now, and likewise, Marth won't have any alt himself. At best, Lucina and Marth will have recolors reminiscent of other FE Lords (Lucina having recolors inspired by Lyn and Eirika, perhaps, as an example).

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Sakurai already proved that it doesn't matter if the character has a different name, in fact, Lucina was going to be an alt. If Roy was an alt of Lucina at this point, they'd call him by a different name as well.

That said, because Lucina was already an alt I don't think she'll have her own alt now, and likewise, Marth won't have any alt himself. At best, Lucina and Marth will have recolors reminiscent of other FE Lords (Lucina having recolors inspired by Lyn and Eirika, perhaps, as an example).
He never said they would call them by their correct name. Lucina is the only different character alt we know about, and with her mask on she still can be called "Marth."

Making separate character calls for a one slot alt I doubt will happen.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He never said they would call them by their correct name. Lucina is the only different character alt we know about, and with her mask on she still can be called "Marth."

Making separate character calls for a one slot alt I doubt will happen.
He flat out stated that it doesn't matter if they have the same name. I think that is pretty clear they would call them by their correct name as well.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
He flat out stated that it doesn't matter if they have the same name. I think that is pretty clear they would call them by their correct name as well.
I know that he did, but that doesn't matter, there is no evidence they would call them by their correct name. He could be saying it as in the names don't matter, we don't need to change it.

Either way though, I rather have more clone slots, then alt characters that do the exact same thing as a different character. Characters with different names shouldn't be acting the same way. Lucina is proof of that.

Most alts that people think will happen won't anyway, since they need to adjust the model (and hit boxes)and balance them as such.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Wasn't blue devil in Brawl everywhere without a problem? I'm pretty sure if 'the devi'l is allowed, than a nega version of a greek mythological hero who had no ties to any deities in the greek stories. If you don't want dark pit bro, just say so, we don't need to make up crazy reasons not to want him.
I do not want dark pit. Supes easy.

Also, the alts thing, I'm pretty sure all the alts are just gonna be super costumes like Light Suit Samus and pinstripe Mario. Theyre just gonna be more extravagant than palette swaps, I doubt we see more than a character or two as a completely unique character alt much to our chagrin

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Well I think we should talk about Savvy Stylist more but seeing as that's unlikely How Bout Isaac?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well I think we should talk about Savvy Stylist more but seeing as that's unlikely How Bout Isaac?
Issac is one of those characters that I wouldn't mind seeing, but I also wouldn't care if he was an Assist trophy. I haven't played Golden Sun so my opinion on Issac is the same as my opinion for Shulk.

I have to say though, if a Paper Mario stage on the Wii U is revealed; I'll start to think Paper Mario is a likely candidate. Which makes Rockaphin a happy man.

Last edited:

elephant13

Smash Apprentice
I'm still going on that theory someone posted of Dark Pit being a stage hazard on Palutena's stage. Makes the most sense to me giving his position in the reveal video.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I'm still going on that theory someone posted of Dark Pit being a stage hazard on Palutena's stage. Makes the most sense to me giving his position in the reveal video.
Well, there was that thing earlier about someone catching Palutena stage having a Boss health meter, so it would make sense.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Assuming Palutena's Temple has a boss, would it be viable for it to be a big hazard or small hazard?
I mean, the place is friggin huge, and New Pork City's "boss" was viable as a threat because it OHKO'd people.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I consider Mewtwo a lock in at this point, he has nothing standing in his way, Who else can be the 6th pokemon rep? Sceptile? Zoroark? Nope, it will be Mewtwo, I'm sure

Niala

Smash Ace
Assuming Palutena's Temple has a boss, would it be viable for it to be a big hazard or small hazard?
I mean, the place is friggin huge, and New Pork City's "boss" was viable as a threat because it OHKO'd people.
That's a good question. We only have New Pork City as a reference point for large stages with bosses, so it's hard to answer. It should be noted that the possibilities can go either way, or just about anywhere in between-- the characters in Uprising range from human sized to absolutely massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom