• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
If Mewtwo isn't in this game, then I'm seriously going to question Sakurai's process of choosing characters. At the end of the Smash Bros Direct, he even said Smash is a game where Nintendo ALL-STARS meet. If Mewtwo isn't an all-star, but characters like Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, and Greninja are than I don't even... Mewtwo, Charizard, and Pikachu are the MOST popular Pokemon of all time, and to to not have Mewtwo would be a huge disgrace.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Mewtwo isn't in this game, then I'm seriously going to question Sakurai's process of choosing characters. At the end of the Smash Bros Direct, he even said Smash is a game where Nintendo ALL-STARS meet. If Mewtwo isn't an all-star, but characters like Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, and Greninja are than I don't even... Mewtwo, Charizard, and Pikachu are the MOST popular Pokemon of all time, and to to not have Mewtwo would be a huge disgrace.
Let us just be honest, this is going to sound utterly pretentious... but Mewtwo is going to return. If you think otherwise, you are completely delusional.

(This is not directed at you, ZeldaMaster).

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Let us just be honest, this is going to sound utterly pretentious... but Mewtwo is going to return. If you think otherwise, you are completely delusional.

Your predictions honestly make a lot of sense to me. Ever since I read that post of what newcomer you thought would be revealed for the New Fighter Intro Video, you correctly predicted no Shulk and the high possibility of a Fire Emblem character. So ever since then, I've realized that what you say makes a lot of sense.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd consider Mewtwo more of a shoe in for a large playable role (potentially a playable boss if that is a thing- but something that Sakurai deems very fun to the masses) for reasons mostly having to do with marketing since the game was announced.

There are some ther examples, but most notably we have Greninja's trailer. Many have pointed out that Greninja's webbing and fins were removed, and that his Shuriken were of course similar to Shadow ball. Yet, the fact that he was shown in upside down silhouette, which is a way that keeps the brain from properly registering proportions accurately, and that the entire scene takes place in a cave, absolutely screams MEWTWO. Greninja has absolutely no business being in a cave; but our first legendary spends a lot of his time there.

Sakurai is specifically trying to make his fans think of Mewtwo, in large part subconsciously, and if Mewtwo is not playable (being so highly requested), can you think of a reason he would do this? It is absolutely illogical.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd be pretty confused about Mewtwo myself if he isn't playable. There would certainly be an uproar.

Although, they can make him DLC. But he should just be playable from the getgo anyway.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Frankly, I think it's fine to think that Mewtwo may not return because we do not know for sure whether or not he's in. He may have absolutely every reason to be included, but that doesn't automatically mean that he's in. We can't justifiable go around calling people delusional for thinking Mewtwo may not be in when his fate has yet to be determined.

It didn't really end well when everyone said Robin supporters were delusional for thinking Chrom was not a shoo-in...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Frankly, I think it's fine to think that Mewtwo may not return because we do not know for sure whether or not he's in. He may have absolutely every reason to be included, but that doesn't automatically mean that he's in. We can't justifiable go around calling people delusional for thinking Mewtwo may not be in when his fate has yet to be determined.

It didn't really end well when everyone said Robin supporters were delusional for thinking Chrom was not a shoo-in...
Or Toon Link supporters being "delusional" for thinking that he could still make it because Conductor Link wasn't the same character and all.....

I agree, as likely as Mewtwo is, I don't think we should really go around calling others delusional for being a bit skeptical on him. I'm sure he will likely come back but eh, sometimes things might not turn out as we'd hoped for as some supporters had to go through the hard way.....

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Is it just me, or is there no thread supporting Master Blaster/Sofia the 3rd?

Morbi

Scavenger
Or Toon Link supporters being delusional for thinking that he could still make it because Conductor Link wasn't the same character and all.

I agree, as likely as Mewtwo is, I don't think we should really go around calling others delusional for being a bit skeptical on him. I'm sure he will likely come back but eh, sometimes things might not turn out as we'd hoped for as a number of supporters had to go through the hard way.....
Honestly; it is just my opinion and I stand by it wholeheartedly. The only reason that people cite for his potential non-inclusion was his unprecedented omission from the game six years ago when he did not merit inclusion nearly as much as he does in the present. I do not find those who are "a bit skeptical" to be delusional. I find those who believe that he will not return to be delusional. There is a subtle difference.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly; it is just my opinion and I stand by it wholeheartedly. The only reason that people cite for his potential non-inclusion was his unprecedented omission from the game six years ago when he did not merit inclusion nearly as much as he does in the present. I do not find those who are "a bit skeptical" to be delusional. I find those who believe that he will not return to be delusional. There is a subtle difference.
Oh I see, so It's more about those who are very certain that he will definitely not make it in and stand by it, I suppose those type of people are probably a bit more on the stubborn side but okay.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, yes, it is illogical to believe that it's completely impossible for a viable character choice to be playable. Even if it seems unlikely, as long as a character meets the right criteria, it's possible for that character to be included. Denying that possibility would be denying the reality of the situation.

Again, people who thought Robin was impossible found that out the hard way...

Morbi

Scavenger
How come?
He was excluded once, therefore that creates a precedent. A second non-inclusion would seem justified, actually.

It'd be cool if there was a continuation of the Greninja trailer that featured Mewtwo. I'd like that a lot.

Do it Sakurai.
Mewtwo needs Greninja's webbed fingers and pelvic fin at first so that everyone believes that it is just Greninja.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
How come?
Well, The Pokemon Company being anal about who gets in, the backlash Mewtwo received last time he was in a Super Smash Bros. due to being very badly designed, and the amount of development time to revamp Mewtwo is dependent on whether or not the development team sees it as worth the time.

Just a reminder, developing characters isn't as easy as it sounds. You've got to consider making the model, the animations, the properties of attacks, and how it's all designed into a playstyle. That's not even including balancing or debugging, and how it becomes more daunting when the number of factors increases. Not to mention it rarely works out the first time around thanks to those factors, meaning even more adjustments are guaranteed to happen.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Kinda random, but i feel like i need enjoy the time in which all fire emblem character discussion has ceased. I enjoy the characters we got, but it sure took long enough to get past it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Kinda random, but i feel like i need enjoy the time in which all fire emblem character discussion has ceased. I enjoy the characters we got, but it sure took long enough to get past it.
I did not even notice that most Fire Emblem discussion ceased to exist... I miss it.

So... for DLC do you guys want Roy or Chrom?! Chrom is more "relevant" but Roy is more "prominent." :troll:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He was excluded once, therefore that creates a precedent. A second non-inclusion would seem justified, actually.

Mewtwo needs Greninja's webbed fingers and pelvic fin at first so that everyone believes that it is just Greninja.
I actually mistook you for Lordling.

I did not even notice that most Fire Emblem discussion ceased to exist... I miss it.

So... for DLC do you guys want Roy or Chrom?! Chrom is more "relevant" but Roy is more "prominent." :troll:
This isn't pre-Rosalina time anymore! Get back to the present!:troll:

Also, for the record, regardless of personal opinions on Chrom, blue hair and (green hair)>all others. There, now I said it.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

I honestly think that if you appear in the game in any significant way, than you're deconfirmed for DLC, so I both want and think Roy's more likely than Chrom.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I honestly think that if you appear in the game in any significant way, than you're deconfirmed for DLC, so I both want and think Roy's more likely than Chrom.
When Chrom joins the battle, the Chrom Einherjar takes his place as Robin's Final Smash.

Chrom Einherjar: "Shut your mouth! I'll change YOU!"

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Yes, it was replaced by the Dark Pit discussion.

Not sure if that's a plus or not though.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I personally love the inclusion of Robin, though. I remember when a lot of Fire Emblem fans added him/her to their rosters and they themselves admitted that his/her chance was slim. Imagine their reaction to Robin's trailer. :')

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I personally love the inclusion of Robin, though. I remember when a lot of Fire Emblem fans added him/her to their rosters and they themselves admitted that his/her chance was slim. Imagine their reaction to Robin's trailer. :')
Most Robin supporters were completely and utterly ecstatic when he/she was revealed. Not just for the fact that they're supposedly "impossible" character made it in, but also because it finally proved that the Gematsu leak was not absolute.

It was a good day.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes, it was replaced by the Dark Pit discussion.

Not sure if that's a plus or not though.
Dark Pit discussion is better because we can just focus on one character instead of evaluating our preferences regarding two notable choices and half a dozen implausible choices.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Neither. Leif would be better by far, although I doubt we'd get any of them.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
A waste of time, and a waste of time.

Vivid choices.
Agreed. Chrom can be a Luigified Ike and Roy can be Luigified from Marth as well. Why use just one metaphorical slot on either one of them when you can use two?:troll:

i knew it was too good to be true
But discussing Roy vs Chrom is meaningful and important for DLC discussions!:p

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The best choice for Fire Emblem DLC is unfortunately an Assist Trophy. :cry:

For serious though, with two FE newcomers, Fire Emblem DLC is probably the last thing on the dev team's mind. :p

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Indeed, I am glad FE discussions are over. The characters we have now are pretty good choices.

Even the FE character discussion thread hasn't got a single post since the Robin and Lucina reveal. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom