• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Great roster, though i don't think Tetra would be the Zelda newcomer if we got one, Impa, Ganon, Ghirahim or even Vaati, but Tetra i just don't see it happening, just my two cents. Also it lacks Dark Pit...
Agreed, except for Dark Pit. We already have two versions of Zelda, Tetra's chances are dead at this point.

I'm thinking about 52-54 characters at this point, maybe 56 if we've got another clone or two, or a character taking on an old moveset.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I've finally decided to go along with roster week and upload my second roster.
Here it is...

View attachment 20258

Like the first time, I'll add this little disclaimer. I don't expect the actual roster to be this large. I just slipped in most of the characters that I feel have a good chance of making the roster at this point. Also adding K. Rool and Ridley automatically relieve me of receiving harsh backlash. So feel free to critique it if you wish. I think I already know what to expect from most of you guys.
Only ones I'd disagree with are Paper Mario and Tetra. Maybe replace them with Jr and Vaati then it would be perfect. Solid 9.5/10 from that alone

King K. Rool is not going to happen. Remove him from the roster and you have some fairly plausible predictions; especially with Black Shadow on your roster.

Some trolling you got there Morbid

I'm actually expecting at least 55. Makes me wonder if Miis will get their own slot like everyone else or a special slot like in Mario sports games and Wii Party, Sports, etc where you select the Miis and it gives you your characters to choose from

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't get what people like about Dark Pit. I don't want to get into another discussion. But everyone seems to have some affinity towards him all of a sudden.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't get what people like about Dark Pit. I don't want to get into another discussion. But everyone seems to have some affinity towards him all of a sudden.
Dark Pit is the better half of Pit and as an advocate of clone characters, he is one I am interested in. I was always decent with Pit; however, he is my sister's main and we have this arbitrary rule that we cannot play each other's character. So the interest is certainly there. His theme is what truly captivated me though. Honestly, I just love his character more than I love most Nintendo characters.

As one user pointed out, as a fallen angel, he has a correlation with Lucifer. Interesting indeed.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
They want to stay in Sakurai's good graces. :troll:

I still believe Dark Pit is disconfirmed as a character. He will be a Pit's palette swap for sure though.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Seems like people now have hope on him appearing in the same vein as Lucina. Either as she was intended, as a character who's actually an alt; or as how she ended up being, a clone with subtle differences.

It all started with Sakurai's comments on Famitsu regarding Lucina.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Great roster, though i don't think Tetra would be the Zelda newcomer if we got one, Impa, Ganon, Ghirahim or even Vaati, but Tetra i just don't see it happening, just my two cents. Also it lacks Dark Pit...
Agreed, except for Dark Pit. We already have two versions of Zelda, Tetra's chances are dead at this point.

I'm thinking about 52-54 characters at this point, maybe 56 if we've got another clone or two, or a character taking on an old moveset.
I still think Tetra has a pretty good shot. I find her to be more likely than most Zelda candidates. She can easily out represent most of the Zelda characters that people are thinking have better chances. She has been in three different Zelda games, plus a remake that makes her way more relevant now than other Zelda characters. I'm not here to discuss relevancy though, as I don't truly believe that a character's relevancy is what merits them to take a slot on the roster. An argument that most people go to when discussing Ghirahim's chances. I believe that a character has to be able to represent their franchise well enough to even be considered. Tetra can do that as she is a child version of Zelda. Most of Zelda's incarnations have been a child after all. On top of that, she can bring in a unique move set just like Sheik did, but still be completely different than her counterparts. The only other character that you mentioned that I think would be a better choice to represent the Zelda franchise is Ganon. I don't see him happening at this point though because I think they would have already revealed Ganondorf by now if Ganon was on the roster, and Ganondorf already has Ganon as his Final Smash; something that I don't think is going to change.

I never understood why people will say that Zelda, the title character of one of the most important franchises to gaming, can't possibly have three completely different variations of herself on the Smash roster. Always seemed like a moot point to me. A way to justify a character not happening over other potential representatives, but ultimately grasping for straws at the same time. We almost had four different Zeldas in Brawl. I think three can happen, especially if all three bring something completely unique to Smash while representing three big sides of the Zelda franchise. The adult magic user, the ninja alter ego, and the child pirate alter ego. All very different incarnations of a single character, and they even have different names. I just can't comprehend why people think that wouldn't be very good representation to the Zelda franchise as a whole. Different minds though.

Morbi

Scavenger
I still think Tetra has a pretty good shot. I find her to be more likely than most Zelda candidates. She can easily out represent most of the Zelda characters that people are thinking have better chances. She has been in three different Zelda games, plus a remake that makes her way more relevant now than other Zelda characters. I'm not here to discuss relevancy though, as I don't truly believe that a character's relevancy is what merits them to take a slot on the roster. An argument that most people go to when discussing Ghirahim's chances. I believe that a character has to be able to represent their franchise well enough to even be considered. Tetra can do that as she is a child version of Zelda. Most of Zelda's incarnations have been a child after all. On top of that, she can bring in a unique move set just like Sheik did, but still be completely different than her counterparts. The only other character that you mentioned that I think would be a better choice to represent the Zelda franchise is Ganon. I don't see him happening at this point though because I think they would have already revealed Ganondorf by now if Ganon was on the roster, and Ganondorf already has Ganon as his Final Smash; something that I don't think is going to change.

I never understood why people will say that Zelda, the title character of one of the most important franchises to gaming, can't possibly have three completely different variations of herself on the Smash roster. Always seemed like a moot point to me. A way to justify a character not happening over other potential representatives, but ultimately grasping for straws at the same time. We almost had four different Zeldas in Brawl. I think three can happen, especially if all three bring something completely unique to Smash while representing three big sides of the Zelda franchise. The adult magic user, the ninja alter ego, and the child pirate alter ego. All very different incarnations of a single character, and they even have different names. I just can't comprehend why people think that wouldn't be very good representation to the Zelda franchise as a whole. Different minds though.
People do not expect a third Zelda for the same reason they do not expect a second version of Pit: they do not want one. It is so easy to blatantly disregard their chances when you ignore precedence or Sakurai's statements.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
People do not expect a third Zelda for the same reason they do not expect a second version of Pit: they do not want one. It is so easy to blatantly disregard their chances when you ignore precedence or Sakurai's statements.
I've come to a similar conclusion. Hey, I have a quick question that I've been meaning to ask. Why are you rooting for Dark Pit so much? Is it because you think the character would make a good addition to the roster? Do you just really like the character from the game, and want to play as him in Smash? I'm just curious. It's nice to see people sticking their neck out there for characters that most people don't think have a good chance.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Oh i'll be pretty ok with Tetra, but i think the most likely Zelda newcomer is Ghirahim :awesome:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
He's in a fresh new leak and they're desperate to be on a bandwagon that's actually right about something after the disaster that was "Monado Monday"?

They harbor a deep, enduring love for this classic character who is in no way whatsoever a ubiquitous hackneyed trope? :troll:

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
The Legend of Zelda is an odd series when it comes to character inclusion.

When you bring up Tetra, you get the complaints of another Zelda. When you bring up Ghirahim, you receive the lecture of how he's a one time deal and oddly flamboyant, (Yes, I've actually been backlashed in that way.) If you say that Zelda shouldn't even get a newcomer, you get criticized for believing a popular franchise shouldn't have another character.

The point I'm making? Groose for Sm4sh. :troll:

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

When you bring up Tetra, you get the complaints of another Zelda. When you bring up Ghirahim, you receive the lecture of how he's a one time deal and oddly flamboyant, (Yes, I've actually been backlashed in that way.) If you say that Zelda shouldn't even get a newcomer, you get criticized for believing a popular franchise shouldn't have another character.

I would actually be completely fine with that.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
The Legend of Zelda is an odd series when it comes to character inusion.

I've noticed the same. The Zelda franchise seems like the most touchy when regarding Smash speculation. Everyone has a different opinion on which character deserves to be in the most. The best thing to do is to pick the one you either like best, or think is the most likely to get a slot, and just stomach the opposing arguments and give your reasons as to why your Zelda character has the best shot.

Morbi

Scavenger
I've come to a similar conclusion. Hey, I have a quick question that I've been meaning to ask. Why are you rooting for Dark Pit so much? Is it because you think the character would make a good addition to the roster? Do you just really like the character from the game, and want to play as him in Smash? I'm just curious. It's nice to see people sticking their neck out there for characters that most people don't think have a good chance.
I advocate for characters that I find to be likely based on a preponderance of the evidence; therefore, once more evidence was conceived in his favor, it would have been reminiscent of negligence to blatantly disregard it based on my inherent biases. Dark Pit was already "on my radar" at first because of all of the subtle allusions. But I needed something more to work with as I do not blindly support any character, I have to delude myself with my demented logic in order to become adamant about their arrival. In anticipation for the character, I usually become of fan of them so that once they are revealed, I am more excited.

So I was never a huge fan of his character. Ironically, my sister is a Dark Pit fan. I used to erroneously assert that he would "never" happen a little over a year and a half ago. However, as I stated earlier, I have become a fan as of current and I intend to replay Uprising with my Dark Pit goggles on.

Another reason? Well, I am a hipster and I just happen to hate the bandwagon appeal fallacy that is Smash speculation. I will always speculate in favor of the under-dog. Toon Link's inclusion over his removal, Solo-Charizard over Pokemon Trainer, Rosalina over Bowser Jr., Robin over Chrom... do not misconstrue this sentiment. Sometimes the majority is correct and I usually speculate in favor of such if there is evidence. That is the key word. King K. Rool? His evidence is negligible. I do not support him. Palutena, her evidence was staggering. I supported her.

I attempt to remove myself from the equation and discern fact from fiction.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Meanwile the Mario franchise is stuck in a limbo for apparently not deserving to have even 5 characters in the roster.......
Ah well... Guess you're probably better off just going with what you predict is a likely outcome for each series....

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Meanwile the Mario franchise is stuck in a limbo for apparently not deserving to have even 5 characters in the roster.......
Ah well... Guess you're probably better off just going with what you predict is a likely outcome....
In the case of Mario, I would not be surprised to see the good doctor return.

Ghirahim USED to have people lecture you about how he was a one-time deal and therefore arbitrarily unlikely despite overt evidence that contradicts such a fallacious assertion; however, that is no longer the case. So let us support him! :troll:

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
In the case of Mario, I would not be surprised to see the good doctor return.

Ghirahim USED to have people lecture you about how he was a one-time deal and therefore arbitrarily unlikely despite overt evidence that contradicts such a fallacious assertion; however, that is no longer the case. So let us support him! :troll:
This by infinity.

I failed to see how people could make such an absurd claim about Ghirahim when we've had a one timer in Smash since Melee.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
This by infinity.

I failed to see how people could make such an absurd claim about Ghirahim when we've had a one timer in Smash since Melee.
I could write you a paragraph about it if you wish. I actually find Ghirahim the least likely Zelda newcomer.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I could write you a paragraph about it if you wish. I actually find Ghirahim the least likely Zelda newcomer.
Well don't get me wrong, I know he isn't all the likely, but I am curious to see your opinion on the matter.

Prove me wrong my friend!

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Here's a tier list on my outlook on possible Zelda newcomers in terms of chance:

A Tier:
Ghirahim
Impa

B tier:
Vaati
Toon Zelda

C tier:
Tetra
Ganon (pig version)

D tier:
Groose
Zant

Lol tier:
Agitha
Epona

Autumn ♫

I've noticed the same. The Zelda franchise seems like the most touchy when regarding Smash speculation. Everyone has a different opinion on which character deserves to be in the most. The best thing to do is to pick the one you either like best, or think is the most likely to get a slot, and just stomach the opposing arguments and give your reasons as to why your Zelda character has the best shot.
Or you can be like me and have everyone know that it's futile to try to change my outlook on the certain Zelda character that they don't even try anymore. :awesome:

Morbi

Scavenger
Here's a tier list on my outlook on possible Zelda newcomers in terms of chance:

A Tier:
Ghirahim
Impa

B tier:
Vaati
Toon Zelda

C tier:
Tetra
Ganon (pig version)

D tier:
Groose
Zant

Lol tier:
Agitha
Epona
I am going to make a tier list too! Tier lists are so much fun!

S-Tier:
Beedle and Tingle rage-based tag-team character.

A-Tier:
Impa
Ghirahim

B-Tier:
Toon Zelda
Tetra

C-Tier:
Ganon
Vaati

D-Tier (Haha-Tier):
Groose
Kaepora Gaebora
Ruto
Darunia
Lana

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
They harbor a deep, enduring love for this classic character who is in no way whatsoever a ubiquitous hackneyed trope? :troll:
Realize your half joking, but execution matters more than concept. IMO Dark Pit is executed pretty good compared to others in his archetype.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Can I try this? My tier list for Zelda!

S-Groose, Mido

A-Groose, Mido

B-Mido

C-Groose, Moon

D-Mido, CD Animated Link

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
NO MORE LISTS, POR FAVOR.
Seriously, we had like 4+ pages of newcomer ranking lists not too long ago, and that got real old real fast.

IMHO

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
My Zelda tier.

A-Tier:
Ghirahim
Toon Zelda

B-Tier:
Impa
Tetra

C-Tier:
Ganon
Vaati

D-Tier:
Groose
Lana
Shia

E-Tier:
Everyone else.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
So, one thing that I notice that helps the Zelda rep is to remember that we did not get a new roster spot in Brawl. We got Toon Link but he overwrote Young Link.

Zelda, a big series, deserves another character slot after not getting one for a whole Smash game... right?

I think that is why the new slot will be the 2nd Villain spot. Ghirahim may be a "one-shot villain" so far. But he would be great for that 2nd antagonist spot. He then would also be a "One-shot" for Smash also! Just like Young Link was. And in Smash 5, Ghirahim would be replaced by WII U Zelda's other antagonists.

Makes sense, ya? I'd be happy with it too. We'd get ourselves a couple good years of fabulousness.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, one thing that I notice that helps the Zelda rep is to remember that we did not get a new roster spot in Brawl. We got Toon Link but he overwrote Young Link.

Zelda, a big series, deserves another character slot after not getting one for a whole Smash game... right?

I think that is why the new slot will be the 2nd Villain spot. Ghirahim may be a "one-shot villain" so far. But he would be great for that 2nd antagonist spot. He then would also be a "One-shot" for Smash also! Just like Young Link was. And in Smash 5, Ghirahim would be replaced by WII U Zelda's other antagonists.

Makes sense, ya? I'd be happy with it too. We'd get ourselves a couple good years of fabulousness.
Sorry, I don't see that happening at all. Sakurai HATES removing characters, he clearly stated this. That's exactly why I DON'T think Ghirahim will make it in. He has nothing going for him in the series as a whole, he's not likely to ever appear again, and if Sakurai adds any character, it'd be one that would represent the Zelda series very well so he doesn't need to remove anyone in a future game.

Hence, Impa.

Autumn ♫

Zelda Tier List? Alright, I'll bite.

A-Tier
Impa
Vaati

B-Tier
Ghirahim

C-Tier
Tetra
Ganon

D-Tier
Toon Zelda
Groose

E-Tier (aka the "why would you even think they're playable Tier?")
Epona
Agitha
Kaepora Gaebora
CD-I Link

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I don't see that happening at all. Sakurai HATES removing characters, he clearly stated this. That's exactly why I DON'T think Ghirahim will make it in. He has nothing going for him in the series as a whole, he's not likely to ever appear again, and if Sakurai adds any character, it'd be one that would represent the Zelda series very well so he doesn't need to remove anyone in a future game.

Hence, Impa.
Gotta get villains in sometime though.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Hence, Impa.
I agree. I just don't really think one should completely discard Ghirahim YET, even though there are better choices. We've seen characters get in due to popularity and have stayed throughout the game. While there are better choices in primarily Impa as a Zelda candidate, I think Ghirahim still has a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom