• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
In a seriousness, Impa is definitely my pick for the next Zelda rep, should one be added to the roster.

She has a lot going for her in regards to both recency and popularity, and she could certainly bring in a fresh and interesting moveset to coincide with her abilities.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
He's in a fresh new leak and they're desperate to be on a bandwagon that's actually right about something after the disaster that was "Monado Monday"?

They harbor a deep, enduring love for this classic character who is in no way whatsoever a ubiquitous hackneyed trope? :troll:
Hey now, Monado Monday actually caused a burst of support, don't call it a disaster.

Kid Icarus? Yes. Super Smash Bros.? No. It's one of those cases where one fanbase doesn't translate to the other.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Gotta get villains in sometime though.
If we get another major returning villain to appear in other games, add that character instead. Vaati is still a great choice and does a lot for the history of the series. You add iconic villains, not one-off villains.

I agree. I just don't really think one should completely discard Ghirahim YET, even though there are better choices. We've seen characters get in due to popularity and have stayed throughout the game. While there are better choices in primarily Impa as a Zelda candidate, I think Ghirahim still has a shot.
I'm not going to discount Ghirahim. I just don't want people to make up stupid excuses for why he's the most likely candidate to be playable, when he's not.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sorry, I don't see that happening at all. Sakurai HATES removing characters, he clearly stated this. That's exactly why I DON'T think Ghirahim will make it in. He has nothing going for him in the series as a whole, he's not likely to ever appear again, and if Sakurai adds any character, it'd be one that would represent the Zelda series very well so he doesn't need to remove anyone in a future game.

Hence, Impa.
Impa is an unsafe pick too though considering how much her roles differ per installment, for all we know she might as well be a fat nanny again in the next Zelda. Zelda is a tricky franchise in general, the only characters guaranteed to appear consistently are Link, Zelda and Ganondorf, and Toon Link for his own games too I suppose, others have to rely on drawing a lucky straw like Shiek.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Impa is an unsafe pick too though considering how much her roles differ per installment, for all we know she might as well be a fat nanny again in the next Zelda. Zelda is a tricky franchise in general, the only characters guaranteed to appear consistently are Link, Zelda and Ganondorf, and Toon Link for his own games too I suppose, others have to rely on drawing a lucky straw like Shiek.
How the hell is Impa more unsafe that Ghirahim, a character who will most likely never appear again barring spinoffs (considering what happens in SS its kinda impossible unless they destroy canon to bring him back)? Impa is constantly appearing in many games. It doesn't matter what "form" she takes. Who cares? How does that make her "unsafe"? The fact is, she's a main Zelda character. If she's an old woman in the next game, they'll stick with her latest "younger" design, but she's STILL appearing. That's all that matters.

Impa is, by far, the next-most important character in the series.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Alright, let's talk about Sheik first and why she is in even though of her "one-shot" status. First and foremost, (spoiler alert) she's Zelda. That automatically gives her more merits for Smash. She was originally part of a gimmick. I don't believe she would have gotten in without Sakurai conceiving of such a gimmick. The Zelda franchise at the time of Melee's development only had a few games. How was Sakurai to know that Sheik wouldn't be used in future 3D Zelda games? By Twilight Princess, we all knew that supporting Zelda characters were usually limited to one or two Zelda games. That's why I believe we never got a newcomer from Twilight Princess, and why I don't believe we'll get one from Skyward Sword.

In Brawl we got a TP stage and updated character models. I believe for Smash 4 we'll only get a SS stage and updated Zelda items. Ghirahim can only represent Skyward Sword, and not the Zelda franchise in general. If you notice, Smash characters that are chosen can represent their franchise. Wolf? The major rival to Star Fox. Diddy Kong? Has a big role in the DK series. King Dedede and Meta Knight? Also a big part of the Kirby franchise. Even in Smash 4 this is happening. Palutena, Rosalina, and Robin are good choices to represent their franchises because they're a big part of it. Ghirahim is not iconic enough to the Zelda franchise to warrant a slot. If I had the chance, I would honestly put money down on saying that I don't even think Ghirahim was considered for the roster. I haven't seen anybody bring this up yet, but I saw a few recent articles saying that it has already been confirmed that Zelda U will have a new antagonist. That to me just further drives in the fact that Ghirahim isn't important enough to Zelda to represent it. Ghirahim is just another Yuga, Zant, Skull Kid, and Agahnim. If he's the antagonist in at least three Zelda games someday, then I think he'll have a chance.

If you still think that I'm just contradicting myself and Sheik still isn't important enough to the Zelda franchise to be in Smash, I'll give you a few more thoughts. Ocarina of Time is the most critically acclaimed game of all time. I think Nintendo is proud of that, and Sheik in Smash is a good way to represent that game. OoT has also been remade a couple times, and is currently being sold on a current gen gaming device. Skyward Sword isn't. At this point, Sheik is way more important to the Zelda franchise than Ghirahim is, and is more widely recognized. It makes me cringe whenever people think that a certain Zelda character should replace Sheik. Sheik definitely deserves her slot on the Smash roster. At this point, no one is going to make me believe that Ghirahim is on that roster until I see it. I'll gladly eat my words then. @ Weeman Weeman @ Joe D. Joe D.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Yeah I'd prefer Vaati over Girahim myself
Wind Mage VS Wind Waker is something I really want to see

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Alright, let's talk about Sheik first and why she is in even though of her "one-shot" status. First and foremost, (spoiler alert) she's Zelda. That automatically gives her more merits for Smash. She was originally part of a gimmick. I don't believe she would have gotten in without Sakurai conceiving of such a gimmick. The Zelda franchise at the time of Melee's development only had a few games. How was Sakurai to know that Sheik wouldn't be used in future 3D Zelda games? By Twilight Princess, we all knew that supporting Zelda characters were usually limited to one or two Zelda games. That's why I believe we never got a newcomer from Twilight Princess, and why I don't believe we'll get one from Skyward Sword. In Brawl we got a TP stage and updated character models. I believe for Smash 4 we'll only get a SS stage and updated Zelda items. Ghirahim can only represent Skyward Sword, and not the Zelda franchise in general. If you notice, Smash characters that are chosen can represent their franchise. Wolf? The major rival to Star Fox. Diddy Kong? Has a big role in the DK series. King Dedede and Meta Knight? Also a big part of the Kirby franchise. Even in Smash 4 this is happening. Palutena, Rosalina, and Robin are good choices to represent their franchises because they're a big part of it. Ghirahim is not iconic enough to the Zelda franchise to warrant a slot. If I had the chance, I would honestly put money down on saying that I don't even think Ghirahim was considered for the roster. I haven't seen anybody bring this up yet, but I saw a few recent articles saying that it has already been confirmed that Zelda U will have a new antagonist. That to me just further drives in the fact that Ghirahim isn't important enough to Zelda to represent it. Ghirahim is just another Yuga, Zant, Skull Kid, and Agahnim. If he's the antagonist in at least three Zelda games someday, then I think he'll have a chance. If you still think that I'm just contradicting myself and Sheik still isn't important enough to the Zelda franchise to be in Smash, I'll give you a few more thoughts. Ocarina of Time is the most critically acclaimed game of all time. I think Nintendo is proud of that, and Sheik in Smash is a good way to represent that game. OoT has also been remade a couple times, and is currently being sold on a current gen gaming device. Skyward Sword isn't. At this point, Sheik is way more important to the Zelda franchise than Ghirahim is, and is more widely recognized. It makes me cringe whenever people think that a certain Zelda character should replace Sheik. Sheik definitely deserves her slot on the Smash roster. At this point, no one is going to make me believe that Ghirahim is on that roster until I see it. I'll gladly eat my words then. @ Weeman Weeman @ Joe D. Joe D.
Actually, the rumors about Zelda U having a new antagonist are false, it just said "new enemies" (aka, random enemies you see on the field, which every Zelda game has).

It'd be easier to read if you broke down your post into several paragraphs. I read through as much as I could, but walls of text are REALLY hard to read. Either way, I do agree with this entirely. (Although I still think Impa has a good chance of being a separate new character, she is the next-most important character in the Zelda franchise.)

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Actually, the rumors about Zelda U having a new antagonist are false, it just said "new enemies" (aka, random enemies you see on the field, which every Zelda game has).

It'd be easier to read if you broke down your post into several paragraphs. I read through as much as I could, but walls of text are REALLY hard to read. Either way, I do agree with this entirely. (Although I still think Impa has a good chance of being a separate new character, she is the next-most important character in the Zelda franchise.)
Sorry, I'll put that into practice in the future.

Also do you have a source? All the articles I read said that the game would feature a new nemesis.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How the hell is Impa more unsafe that Ghirahim, a character who will most likely never appear again barring spinoffs (considering what happens in SS its kinda impossible unless they destroy canon to bring him back)? Impa is constantly appearing in many games. It doesn't matter what "form" she takes. Who cares? How does that make her "unsafe"? The fact is, she's a main Zelda character. If she's an old woman in the next game, they'll stick with her latest "younger" design, but she's STILL appearing. That's all that matters.

Impa is, by far, the next-most important character in the series.
Woah woah, putting words in my mouth. I never said she was more unsafe than Ghirahim, I'm just saying that her roles vary a lot to the point where she might as well be an entirely different character. At this point there simply are no safe picks for a Zelda newcomer, well, except Tingle, but you know... eww.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Woah woah, putting words in my mouth. I never said she was more unsafe than Ghirahim, I'm just saying that her roles vary a lot to the point where she might as well be an entirely different character. At this point there simply are no safe picks for a Zelda newcomer, well, except Tingle, but you know... eww.
I would say that Tingle's not very safe.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, I'm aware that there's no safe picks. The safest by far is probably Impa. No, I never thought Tingle would be playable simply because only Japan likes Tingle. :p

This whole debate is why I think we might not get a Zelda newcomer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I would say that Tingle's not very safe.
I meant in context of Sakurai picking relevant characters. I'm well aware that he's an AT, and I'm also well aware why he's likely never going to make the leap.

Oh, I'm aware that there's no safe picks. The safest by far is probably Impa. No, I never thought Tingle would be playable simply because only Japan likes Tingle. :p

This whole debate is why I think we might not get a Zelda newcomer.
That's honestly what I lean towards too and why I think the trophy theory is a mere coincidence, I just don't see a Zelda newcomer happening atm because there are no really great choices for it imo.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Alright, let's talk about Sheik first and why she is in even though of her "one-shot" status. First and foremost, (spoiler alert) she's Zelda. That automatically gives her more merits for Smash. She was originally part of a gimmick. I don't believe she would have gotten in without Sakurai conceiving of such a gimmick. The Zelda franchise at the time of Melee's development only had a few games. How was Sakurai to know that Sheik wouldn't be used in future 3D Zelda games? By Twilight Princess, we all knew that supporting Zelda characters were usually limited to one or two Zelda games. That's why I believe we never got a newcomer from Twilight Princess, and why I don't believe we'll get one from Skyward Sword.

In Brawl we got a TP stage and updated character models. I believe for Smash 4 we'll only get a SS stage and updated Zelda items. Ghirahim can only represent Skyward Sword, and not the Zelda franchise in general. If you notice, Smash characters that are chosen can represent their franchise. Wolf? The major rival to Star Fox. Diddy Kong? Has a big role in the DK series. King Dedede and Meta Knight? Also a big part of the Kirby franchise. Even in Smash 4 this is happening. Palutena, Rosalina, and Robin are good choices to represent their franchises because they're a big part of it. Ghirahim is not iconic enough to the Zelda franchise to warrant a slot. If I had the chance, I would honestly put money down on saying that I don't even think Ghirahim was considered for the roster. I haven't seen anybody bring this up yet, but I saw a few recent articles saying that it has already been confirmed that Zelda U will have a new antagonist. That to me just further drives in the fact that Ghirahim isn't important enough to Zelda to represent it. Ghirahim is just another Yuga, Zant, Skull Kid, and Agahnim. If he's the antagonist in at least three Zelda games someday, then I think he'll have a chance.

If you still think that I'm just contradicting myself and Sheik still isn't important enough to the Zelda franchise to be in Smash, I'll give you a few more thoughts. Ocarina of Time is the most critically acclaimed game of all time. I think Nintendo is proud of that, and Sheik in Smash is a good way to represent that game. OoT has also been remade a couple times, and is currently being sold on a current gen gaming device. Skyward Sword isn't. At this point, Sheik is way more important to the Zelda franchise than Ghirahim is, and is more widely recognized. It makes me cringe whenever people think that a certain Zelda character should replace Sheik. Sheik definitely deserves her slot on the Smash roster. At this point, no one is going to make me believe that Ghirahim is on that roster until I see it. I'll gladly eat my words then. @ Weeman Weeman @ Joe D. Joe D.
Well, my words are delicious. I haven't eaten them until now.

I started re-assembling my thoughts after I made the original post, but what you just stated was what I was pretty much gonna say in a briefer way. Kudos my friend.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Alright, let's talk about Sheik first and why she is in even though of her "one-shot" status. First and foremost, (spoiler alert) she's Zelda. That automatically gives her more merits for Smash. She was originally part of a gimmick. I don't believe she would have gotten in without Sakurai conceiving of such a gimmick. The Zelda franchise at the time of Melee's development only had a few games. How was Sakurai to know that Sheik wouldn't be used in future 3D Zelda games? By Twilight Princess, we all knew that supporting Zelda characters were usually limited to one or two Zelda games. That's why I believe we never got a newcomer from Twilight Princess, and why I don't believe we'll get one from Skyward Sword. In Brawl we got a TP stage and updated character models. I believe for Smash 4 we'll only get a SS stage and updated Zelda items. Ghirahim can only represent Skyward Sword, and not the Zelda franchise in general. If you notice, Smash characters that are chosen can represent their franchise. Wolf? The major rival to Star Fox. Diddy Kong? Has a big role in the DK series. King Dedede and Meta Knight? Also a big part of the Kirby franchise. Even in Smash 4 this is happening. Palutena, Rosalina, and Robin are good choices to represent their franchises because they're a big part of it. Ghirahim is not iconic enough to the Zelda franchise to warrant a slot. If I had the chance, I would honestly put money down on saying that I don't even think Ghirahim was considered for the roster. I haven't seen anybody bring this up yet, but I saw a few recent articles saying that it has already been confirmed that Zelda U will have a new antagonist. That to me just further drives in the fact that Ghirahim isn't important enough to Zelda to represent it. Ghirahim is just another Yuga, Zant, Skull Kid, and Agahnim. If he's the antagonist in at least three Zelda games someday, then I think he'll have a chance. If you still think that I'm just contradicting myself and Sheik still isn't important enough to the Zelda franchise to be in Smash, I'll give you a few more thoughts. Ocarina of Time is the most critically acclaimed game of all time. I think Nintendo is proud of that, and Sheik in Smash is a good way to represent that game. OoT has also been remade a couple times, and is currently being sold on a current gen gaming device. Skyward Sword isn't. At this point, Sheik is way more important to the Zelda franchise than Ghirahim is, and is more widely recognized. It makes me cringe whenever people think that a certain Zelda character should replace Sheik. Sheik definitely deserves her slot on the Smash roster. At this point, no one is going to make me believe that Ghirahim is on that roster until I see it. I'll gladly eat my words then. @ Weeman Weeman @ Joe D. Joe D.
I agree about Sheik and that she deserves to still be on the roster, as for the "representing the franchise" thing, well i also kind of agree, though at this point almost no one but the 3 triforce weilders can do that. I think Ghirahim is more prominent and memorable than those guys too (Vaati, Zant, etc...), but i guess that's up to everyone, so yeah i'm not saying Ghirahim's chances are high, but i don't think he's the least likely either (I mean there's Groose and Epona for that :awesome:).

There's also the Trophy theory but i guess that could point out at other Zelda characters.
The only other reason i personally have is that Sakurai seems to be going for more recent appearances for characters now, even Little Mac who has his design based on the 2009 remake, and of course Palutena being based on her Uprising design, i know it doesn't mean much, but i think it can happen.

Another thing is that in the end it's kinda hard to know what Sakurai might choose for characters, i mean in the end if he thinks a character would be good for Smash he'll probably add it, look at Robin, whom he chose for having more unique abilities over Chrom, my point is that i don't think any of this arguments about appearances and importance might hold much weight, especially for a franchise who already has the characters that it NEEDS (3 triforce weilders), if Sakurai considred Ghirahim, wich he probably did considering how much he is representing Skyward Sword, and thought he had potential, then he would have added him, and in the end i think that's what matters. (So in a way even Groose could be added).

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Next Smash Bros. needs mounted fighting. Bring on Yoshi, Poochie, Epona, Wheelie, and some Wyverns.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Even better, have every mounted character be the baby version of themselves.

Baby Pit. Baby Palutena. Baby Sonic. Baby Pac Man. Baby Robin. Baby Lucina.

Baby Gahnundarf.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I agree about Sheik and that she deserves to still be on the roster, as for the "representing the franchise" thing, well i also kind of agree, though at this point almost no one but the 3 triforce weilders can do that. I think Ghirahim is more prominent and memorable than those guys too (Vaati, Zant, etc...), but i guess that's up to everyone, so yeah i'm not saying Ghirahim's chances are high, but i don't think he's the least likely either (I mean there's Groose and Epona for that :awesome:).

There's also the Trophy theory but i guess that could point out at other Zelda characters.
The only other reason i personally have is that Sakurai seems to be going for more recent appearances for characters now, even Little Mac who has his design based on the 2009 remake, and of course Palutena being based on her Uprising design, i know it doesn't mean much, but i think it can happen.

Another thing is that in the end it's kinda hard to know what Sakurai might choose for characters, i mean in the end if he thinks a character would be good for Smash he'll probably add it, look at Robin, whom he chose for having more unique abilities over Chrom, my point is that i don't think any of this arguments about appearances and importance might hold much weight, especially for a franchise who already has the characters that it NEEDS (3 triforce weilders), if Sakurai considred Ghirahim, wich he probably did considering how much he is representing Skyward Sword, and thought he had potential, then he would have added him, and in the end i think that's what matters. (So in a way even Groose could be added).
I should mention that when I said I think Ghirahim is the least likely Zelda newcomer, I meant out of the practical Zelda characters that might be considered for Smash. That in my mind being Ganon, Toon Zelda, Tetra, Impa, Vaati, and Ghirahim. People joke about Groose and Epona being added, but nobody really believes that they were considered. You might be right when you say that because we already have the essential Zelda characters already, maybe the less prominent Zelda characters will be considered, but I doubt it. What I mean is that I don't think Ghirahim would be considered before the characters with bigger roles in the franchise. I could be wrong, but nothing to me stands out against my opinion as of yet. We'll just have to see what happens though.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I want a Zelda newcomer be added on the basis of having the most interesting possibilities for a moveset and not mundane criteria like importance or prevalence. You already have Zelda, Link and Ganondorf for those things.

Morbi

Scavenger
I should mention that when I said I think Ghirahim is the least likely Zelda newcomer, I meant out of the practical Zelda characters that might be considered for Smash. That in my mind being Ganon, Toon Zelda, Tetra, Impa, Vaati, and Ghirahim. People joke about Groose and Epona being added, but nobody really believes that they were considered. You might be right when you say that because we already have the essential Zelda characters already, maybe the less prominent Zelda characters will be considered, but I doubt it. What I mean is that I don't think Ghirahim would be considered before the characters with bigger roles in the franchise. I could be wrong, but nothing to me stands out against my opinion as of yet. We'll just have to see what happens though.
I honestly believe that Groose was considered at one point; perhaps he was demoted to an assist trophy? :troll:

Next Smash Bros. needs mounted fighting. Bring on Yoshi, Poochie, Epona, Wheelie, and some Wyverns.
Cherche confirmed?

MasterDoom1666

Smash Cadet
They could add Magolor and Lolo. Lolo could be a retro character.

Also, they won't announce every single character before the game comes out.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I wonder if Sakurai would feel that Ghirahim and Robin inhabit the same design space and that as newcomers, only one could get in?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Why the hell does the KI series have two characters plus a potential third, and so much content in this game. The franchise has 3 original games with like ten year gaps between each one and before the DS game only a tiny portion of the Nintendo fanbase had played or even knew of the series outside of Smash. This is supposed to be game where we get to play the core Nintendo icons, we shouldn't have 2-3 character slots and so much content taken up by a series with overall rubbish sales that is not iconic and has no core Nintendo characters. Sakurai has so much bias it's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I wonder if Sakurai would feel that Ghirahim and Robin inhabit the same design space and that as newcomers, only one could get in?

They both use magic and swords, but in different ways. In Fire Emblem there's wind, fire, thunder, light, and dark magic, and Ghirahim tends to use thunder, light and wind magic, alongside being able to fabricate weapons and use his magical diamond attacks. In Fire Emblem magic tends to be limited to those elements, although there are several variants to each one.

Also, in Fire Emblem the magic tomes have limited use, and for Ghirahim, there hasn't been a limit shown for his powers.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Sakurai has so much bias it's ridiculous.
Well, yeah, he made Uprising. He's familiar with that content and understands it better than anyone, so it's easier for him to work with that than content made by someone else, which he has to interpret and hope that he gets right.

Besides, while he said he wouldn't return to a Kid Icarus sequel, I'm sure that if the series gets enough attention through smash that Nintendo appoints someone else to keep working on the franchise it would probably bring Sakurai great pride to know that he revived a dead franchise.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
On top of that, I don't really mind the bias/over-representation because Uprising was a dang good game, along with many of the things in it like the characters, enemies, locations, and music.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Ghirahim can only represent Skyward Sword, and not the Zelda franchise in general. If you notice, Smash characters that are chosen can represent their franchise. Wolf? The major rival to Star Fox. Diddy Kong? Has a big role in the DK series. King Dedede and Meta Knight? Also a big part of the Kirby franchise. Even in Smash 4 this is happening. Palutena, Rosalina, and Robin are good choices to represent their franchises because they're a big part of it. Ghirahim is just another Yuga, Zant, Skull Kid, and Agahnim. If he's the antagonist in at least three Zelda games someday, then I think he'll have a chance.

If you still think that I'm just contradicting myself and Sheik still isn't important enough to the Zelda franchise to be in Smash, I'll give you a few more thoughts. Ocarina of Time is the most critically acclaimed game of all time. I think Nintendo is proud of that, and Sheik in Smash is a good way to represent that game. OoT has also been remade a couple times, and is currently being sold on a current gen gaming device. At this point, Sheik is way more important to the Zelda franchise than Ghirahim is, and is more widely recognized. @ Weeman Weeman @ Joe D. Joe D.
Just to add onto this, because few people know this tidbit of trivia: Sheik was actually MEANT to be in Twilight Princess and had a full model made but was cut for unknown reasons. It is actually that unused design that made it into Brawl. Considering this, I feel that Sheik is likely to have a role or two still in the series besides OoT.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
I really hate all this talk about franchises being over/under represented. Personally, I think the characters should get in on their own strengths, (how popular the character is, how significant the character is to the game/series they are from and moveset potential.) rather than just adding characters just for the sake of another character to a popular franchise.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Why the hell does the KI series have two characters plus a potential third, and so much content in this game. The franchise has 3 original games with like ten year gaps between each one and before the DS game only a tiny portion of the Nintendo fanbase had played or even knew of the series outside of Smash. This is supposed to be game where we get to play the core Nintendo icons, we shouldn't have 2-3 character slots and so much content taken up by a series with overall rubbish sales that is not iconic and has no core Nintendo characters. Sakurai has so much bias it's ridiculous.

Because KI didn't have items, assist trophies, and multiple characters in the previous game...

It's getting them now because the series has been resurrected. There isn't any bias, just seems like it because he is getting KI caught up with items and assist trophies, which didn't exist in Brawl.

Palutena is a great character and it's fine for KI to have two. Dark Pit will be an alternate or a clone with low development time.

So, nothing actually of bias for KI.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I have to disagree. There's favor and bias there, no point in denying it. I have nothing to complain about, whatever content that's there due to biased is fine with me, because I like it.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
On top of that, I don't really mind the bias/over-representation because Uprising was a dang good game, along with many of the things in it like the characters, enemies, locations, and music.
It's ok for you because you played the DS game. Imagine if DK got 8 reps and Sakurai made a story mode where the DK reps got most of the screentime. I'd be cool with it personally because DK is my favourite franchise atm, but the fanbase as a whole wouldn't be happy because that''s a massive over-repping of a series. It's frustrating when a series you don't like gets over-repped, because that's content that could've been put toward something that you like, or towards another series that deserved it.

For most people, the game would've been slightly better than what it will be had a lot of that KI content been content that is more universally appealing (ie. was for a franchise that the entire fanbase actually knows and loves).

Morbi

Scavenger
I really hate all this talk about franchises being over/under represented. Personally, I think the characters should get in on their own strengths, (How popular the character is, How significant the character is to the game/series they are from and moveset potential.) rather than just adding characters just for the sake of another character to a popular franchise.
I agree, which is why Dark Pit is a great choice.

I do not mind the bias either as it is prevalent throughout the ENTIRE series, game and roster. I wonder why that could be... oh, I just remembered, it is because there is only one creative director!

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Where's the Kirby love this time around? He actually created that one so I would imagine it's closer to his heart than Kid Icarus is

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
It's ok for you because you played the DS game. Imagine if DK got 8 reps and Sakurai made a story mode where the DK reps got most of the screentime. I'd be cool with it personally because DK is my favourite franchise atm, but the fanbase as a whole wouldn't be happy because that''s a massive over-repping of a series. It's frustrating when a series you don't like gets over-repped, because that's content that could've been put toward something that you like, or towards another series that deserved it.

For most people, the game would've been slightly better than what it will be had a lot of that KI content been content that is more universally appealing (ie. was for a franchise that the entire fanbase actually knows and loves).

8 DK reps... Sakurai hasn't been that bias on anything. You are exaggerating a little much on how bias he is. Just because a game you didn't play has *gasp* two reps now.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
8 DK reps... Sakurai hasn't been that bias on anything. You are exaggerating much because a game you didn't play has *gasp* two reps now.
Soon to be three... soon to be three. However, I have to admit, Kid Icarus is getting a lot of representation through other mediums: items, stages, smash-run enemies, etc.

Where's the Kirby love this time around? He actually created that one so I would imagine it's closer to his heart than Kid Icarus is
Bandanna Dee? :troll:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I love Dark Pit more than Pit in terms of personality and aggressiveness. I'm not really a bandwagoner, I'm a supporter of him and you all are just making assumptions on unpopular Smashboards characters.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Because KI didn't have items, assist trophies, and multiple characters in the previous game...

It's getting them now because the series has been resurrected. There isn't any bias, just seems like it because he is getting KI caught up with items and assist trophies, which didn't exist in Brawl.

Palutena is a great character and it's fine for KI to have two. Dark Pit will be an alternate or a clone with low development time.

So, nothing actually of bias for KI.
Putting Pit in Brawl was a marketing ploy so that he could make a KI game. He put Pit in Smash so that his KI game would sell, as Smash makes characters popular (eg. FE reps being put in Melee to market FE to the western audience, which hadn't got FE yet).

It wasn't about giving fans what they wanted, because no one asked for Pit. It was about making money, at the expense of a potential character that people actually wanted.

The difference between KI and other series is that other series are in Smash because they're popular. KI is popular now because of Smash (although it's overall sales still pale in comparison to like, everything else). That's why people get annoyed when it gets so much rep, because it doesn't deserve it and it doesn't appeal to the wider audience.

And of course it's bias. KI has 3 oroginal games with basically a decade between each one. If every series of a similar scale or bigger had its core characters represented in Smash, the roster would probably need to have over 100 slots. The fact that KI gets any rep at all over other franchises is just down to bias.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom