• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
Marcina's edgeguarding is the only reason I'm afraid when fighting them. Sakurai plz nerf.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Personally I'm not sure whether the tier list needs to happen right now, but I feel a smash 4 BR should start being made at this time, so that the construction of a tier list becomes more fluid. That said, a tier list sometime within the next couple of months would be nice, but it would either have to be now or at least a couple months after the release of Mewtwo to allow him to slot in somewhere and give people time to work him out. Additionally, an extra Battlefield (the miiverse stage) will change the stage striking methods for some characters and give an advantage to a few characters probably, so yeah that update will probably at least slightly change our tier list. My personal belief is we should make the BR before the mewtwo update, and the tier list a little while after in order to assess its contribution to the meta. =)

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I'm the only one that thinks the time for the first official tier list to be done is now ?
Now we had one APEX (Major tournament), results from many camps, and 427 pages of impressions.
All characters boards is slowly building their "MU chart".

I know that a tier list build by the community now will be "wrong" very soon.
It's a bit early and will be inconsistent, and it will be updated in months...
But I don't think waiting any longer will be good.We need something "officially wrong" to discuss characters potential.

----------------
(If it shouldn't be there, forgive me. But I don't found any better place.)

Also, I come here to ask this too... Do you think Cap.Falcon have the tools to be viable?
I mean, without a secundary character for his bad MU's, he is a solid choice ?
I have 2 friends who wants to main him, but both are struggling.
well we can but customs are basically on track to being legal this list will be so out of wack if we use apex results.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Marcina's edgeguarding is the only reason I'm afraid when fighting them. Sakurai plz nerf.
Oh,come on... Marcina don't are strong enough to be nerfed.
Edgeguard are one of the only thing they are strong now, and even in this, they are not the best.
Try hard to overcome the sword walls \o\ You can do it!

well we can but customs are basically on track to being legal this list will be so out of wack if we use apex results.
i'm totally in the idea of the custom moves being legal at EVO.
But they aren't in 99% of tourneys right now. So...
I think we should ignore them when theorycrafting "tiers" until we check them in EVO ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
I'm with @ New_Dumal New_Dumal here.
Evo now has customs and basically every tournament will be with customs now.
It would be great to have a tier list "without custom" because we won't see any more results.
Having that tier list would also help the first tier list with custom since custom bring only 25% more moves, we would at least have a start for 75% of the moves.

Around 10 tier list have been posted and about 8-9 had roughtly the same idea for like 90% of the cast... Its not really hard at that point. We could broaden some rank like the high tier rank where people argue the most (between high and mid tier).

I think 90% of the tier list is done.. Lets just finish it guys... It could be done in less than 10 pages :p

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Well MK ignores edge guards so I don't fear marcina in that area, but against marth. 70% + tippers + light character = No choice but to respect and fear.

That's like the only reason I think the MU is close to even or in MK favor, I gotta be onpoint with my kill setups or try my best to avoid a hard punish. For real his punishes are bloody demoralizing at times where I knew that shuttle loop would kill but I miss and die.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I think we should ignore them when theorycrafting "tiers" until we check them in EVO ?
Carefull double post.

And like im sayin, we can but it seems pointless when all we are going to be doing as of now is really talk about customs.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Well MK ignores edge guards so I don't fear marcina in that area, but against marth. 70% + tippers + light character = No choice but to respect and fear.

That's like the only reason I think the MU is close to even or in MK favor, I gotta be onpoint with my kill setups or try my best to avoid a hard punish. For real his punishes are bloody demoralizing at times where I knew that shuttle loop would kill but I miss and die.
That's the Shuttle Loop Life.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Also, it's pretty easy to DI out of ZSS up b.
Well that has a lot of variables. The move gets easier to get out of when zss gets a lot of rage the other characters percent does not matter. Also it depends on how good your opponent can set it up mostly in the air though because your already level with your opponent and you have to be level or a little bit above your opponent to work. One last thing is you have to get the sdi multiplier on the first hit or you can not even get out if the zss player does nothing. That is not easy to do because it comes out on frame 4 with minimal amount of hit lag.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
That's the Shuttle Loop Life.
For real man, he dies to it at low 100's and yet he can kill me below 100's for missing. Sure bair, gimps and f smash can kill sooner but shuttle loop is my clutch kill.

How can a girly looking man with no muscle kill sooner than ike who's a walking testosterone bomb? Masterhero samurai is truly one of a kind.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I play with Mk with some frequency, not as any MK main.
MK is not easy to play. His biggest weakness is the weight (my opinion), now there's no momentum cancel.

Killing with him is exactly that @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 said:
Bair only kills in edge guard opportunities or very high %.
FSmash can only be used trying a read, but is very punishable.

S.Loop can kill... all you need is read ONE air dodge, or link in something.
But if you miss, you pay so much for this. I don't even try sometimes.
It's MK DSmash actually that bad now ?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Have we talked about run off aerials before? Against characters who prefer to recover low they are dangerous. Ganondorf's Uair and Fair, Toon Link's Fair, Peach's Fair, Ike's Fair, and more will kill them while Sonic's Fair, Meta Knight's Fair?, Falco's Fair, Mario's, Luigi's?, Dr. Mario's, Link's?, Yoshi's, and Fox's Nair gimps them.

I don't really know what my question specifically asks, but certain matchups might be made worse with these in mind like Ganondorf would easily edgeguard Captain Falcon with Dair, Fair, and Uair, but at the same time, Captain Falcon could do the same with his Dair, Fair, and Uair. So, I guess I'm asking if run off aerials should be utilized more.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Well that has a lot of variables. The move gets easier to get out of when zss gets a lot of rage the other characters percent does not matter. Also it depends on how good your opponent can set it up mostly in the air though because your already level with your opponent and you have to be level or a little bit above your opponent to work. One last thing is you have to get the sdi multiplier on the first hit or you can not even get out if the zss player does nothing. That is not easy to do because it comes out on frame 4 with minimal amount of hit lag.
I'm quite open to the possibility I'm wrong. I'll soften my statement to say it seems like it's easier than with other characters to me. I seem to get hammered with it when I am any of my secondaries.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Bair kills below 100% around 80 for heavies with no rage. From the ledge onwards that move can take your stock early, marf recovers low so I usually fall off and nair instead.

His down smash is faster than marios but has a little bit of end lag, second hit is the killer.

U smash has low damage but the knockback is insane, he has the 6th strongest u smash allowing him to kill mid weights at 120%.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
For those unaware, Fox's customs are absurd, though really in a quiet way; none of them are Timber-Counter-level moves, but they improve Fox in a cohesive way that makes him unparalleled at getting KOs and edgeguarding. He's one of the few characters who can take an all-custom set without missing his defaults at all. If you've been sleeping on Fox: wake up.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
For those unaware, Fox's customs are absurd, though really in a quiet way; none of them are Timber-Counter-level moves, but they improve Fox in a cohesive way that makes him unparalleled at getting KOs and edgeguarding. He's one of the few characters who can take an all-custom set without missing his defaults at all. If you've been sleeping on Fox: wake up.
Wolf Flash is godplayer since it doesn't leave Fox helpless. Think you're going to recover high? Think again. Approaching in the air? Taste the lightning! On a platform? Feel the lightning. Going to edgeguard me? Have fun being a meteor.

If only Wolf was in the game... :sadeyes:

Who wants to bet that Wolf, if he does become DLC - will lose his Fire Wolf, Wolf Flash, Up Smash, and Bair because Fox and Falco have them by default, as customs, or by function?

David Viran

Smash Lord
I'm quite open to the possibility I'm wrong. I'll soften my statement to say it seems like it's easier than with other characters to me. I seem to get hammered with it when I am any of my secondaries.
What characters do you use? I'm guessing your talking about samus as your main and I think her floatiness might aid at getting out of up b.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Wolf Flash is godplayer since it doesn't leave Fox helpless. Think you're going to recover high? Think again. Approaching in the air? Taste the lightning! On a platform? Feel the lightning. Going to edgeguard me? Have fun being a meteor.

Who wants to bet that Wolf, if he does become DLC - will lose his Fire Wolf, Wolf Flash, Up Smash, and Bair because Fox and Falco have them by default, as customs, or by function?
Since custom are a thing, wolf is almost sure to not come back. We can almost say the same thing about Lucas but at least he doesn't have 2 character take his move like Wolf does...

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I've been making the sets to transfer now that they're legal and I really have to agree. I could see a preference for all three blasters and Wolf Flash and Twisting Fox are great. One question regarding the current sets: is Flying Fox's appeal its speed?

Timbers

check me out
I can't wait to get rid of default upB

I've been making the sets to transfer now that they're legal and I really have to agree. I could see a preference for all three blasters and Wolf Flash and Twisting Fox are great. One question regarding the current sets: is Flying Fox's appeal its speed?
each blaster does a really good job depending on different characters, which is cool. I'm not seeing the appeal of Wolf Flash yet.

Flying Fox gets rid of the trash startup frames. No hitbox sounds like it might be a bad thing, but it's already easy to knock Fox out of his upB anyways. Twisting Fox is being hyped for its KO potential.

No strong opinions on these yet, as I've only labbed them out. I look forward to seeing tournament application.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Flying Fox is good for not getting edgeguarded and for edgeguarding. When you can return from just about anywhere, you can do quite a bit offstage. Twisting Fox is better though. Such a good KO move.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Have we talked about run off aerials before? Against characters who prefer to recover low they are dangerous. Ganondorf's Uair and Fair, Toon Link's Fair, Peach's Fair, Ike's Fair, and more will kill them while Sonic's Fair, Meta Knight's Fair?, Falco's Fair, Mario's, Luigi's?, Dr. Mario's, Link's?, Yoshi's, and Fox's Nair gimps them.

I don't really know what my question specifically asks, but certain matchups might be made worse with these in mind like Ganondorf would easily edgeguard Captain Falcon with Dair, Fair, and Uair, but at the same time, Captain Falcon could do the same with his Dair, Fair, and Uair. So, I guess I'm asking if run off aerials should be utilized more.
The single best runoff aerial in the game is probably Rosaluma D-air...literally THE reason she's a terrible matchup for Ganondorf above anything else.

Ignoring that, Ganondorf's runoff aerials da bess.

Fox's edgeguarding still is pretty below average even with customs, though Charge Blaster, Big Reflector, and Twisting Fox all are able to help that in minor ways.

Charge Blaster imo is probably the hardest good custom move in the game to use correctly...at least mechanically. You HAVE to be able to SH turnaround neutral B to really get mileage out of it, but it's very worth it if you do that consistently.

Twisting Fox I like for its juggle and out of shield utility. Slightly worse as a recovery move than the other options though it gets good distance.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Little Mac?

It has always been one of her traits, but in a game where Hoo Hah! gets a lot of play, it's nice to have a character that is safe from it starting at relatively low percents. Also, it's pretty easy to DI out of ZSS up b.

I think her gimp game is pretty good. Fair is lingering and pretty fast to come out. Nair has a pretty flat launch angle. Zair isn't bad and will catch people less familiar with the matchup in a lot of instances. Even bomb has use as an edgeguard technique if the character is pretty linear in recovery options (falcon, link, duck hunt...). It can be used to set up Utilt or Fsmash. I agree she has kinda limited kill options compared to characters with good dsmash and usmash.

She has a great get up game with instant ledge wall jump as a real get up option that can use a bair. Alternatively a let go -> jump -> Zair (or even CS) are options to punish someone waiting in the "safe" zone just beyond a get up attack that can punish all the options of some characters.
Yeah little mac. Completely forgot about him. Greninja isn't bad with shuriken I suppose but other he lacks safe offstage options. Even bair is weak. But mac is even better.

You're forgetting the part where doubles is literally 100% about team attack shenanigans.
I don't think that'd be a huge issue when mac stays grounded and marth stays airborne most of the time. They each have their strong spots that the opponent must respect. Stay on stage, mac gets you. Go offstage, you`re at marth's mercy.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
This. One of their best traits currently. I think it's because their tools to actually get opponents offstage, like aerial pressure, have been nerfed. Their neutral game is problematic and they can't approach easily or force approaches, so the edgeguarding is kind of bittersweet. They'd be godlike in doubles when paired with a character with the opposite problem, like maybe dr. Mario or greninja.
Greninja actually has a pretty solid offstage/edgeguard game in all honesty.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Oh trust me. I haven't been. I refuse to run default Fox. Twisting fox and Wolf Flash are all I need, any day. Blaster is always a tossup though between default and charge.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Doc's Tornado is pretty great off stage as well. Kills pretty early.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Oh,come on... Marcina don't are strong enough to be nerfed.
Edgeguard are one of the only thing they are strong now, and even in this, they are not the best.
Try hard to overcome the sword walls \o\ You can do it!

Please don't double post; instead, use the edit function.

(Carry on.)

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

I use runoff aerials plenty, sometimes too often. Ganon's runoff Fair is a beautiful thing, as the hitbox extends both above his head and a bit below him, creating a wall of death between the opponent and the stage. Runoff Nair lasts a bit longer and comes out quicker, making it very disruptive, though it doesn't outright kill as well. Uair is also fast and ends quickly, covering both in front and behind Ganon, and on certain stages like Smashville and Lylat you can sometimes Tipman them under the stage at an angle they can't make it back from.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

I say he won't lose a move simply due to Fox having the same move as a custom. Plus Fox flash doesn't have any purple lightning.
Since custom are a thing, wolf is almost sure to not come back. We can almost say the same thing about Lucas but at least he doesn't have 2 character take his move like Wolf does...
:facepalm: Really!? Wolf only has 1 of his specials as a custom for Fox, not bringing a character back because they share a move with 1 or 2 characters is a stupid reason not to include them. :4kirby: and :4fox: share some moves too, and:4kirby: is more of a clone of :4fox: than :wolf:. Also :4luigi: has Mario's fire ball as a custom, and :4wario: now has the same back throw as :4mario::4luigi::4drmario:.

Now that my angry rant is done, back on topic, I prefer most of Wario's default moves to his customs, his standard motorcycle is really good, my favorite Wario custom is the suction chomp (from Wario World) It has a wide range and can still eat projectiles.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wario's suction chomp is OK but you'd be replacing default chomp, which is a key move of Wario's metagame. Not worth it.

Wario's side b and down b customs are more like side grades than upgrades. Speedy bike and heavy bike are both pretty good.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Wario's suction chomp is OK but you'd be replacing default chomp, which is a key move of Wario's metagame. Not worth it.

Wario's side b and down b customs are more like side grades than upgrades. Speedy bike and heavy bike are both pretty good.
That's why I don't use em.:chuckle:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Everyone crying for Wolf can kiss my ass. I still don't have Isaac/Felix/Matthew.

Think I'm just going to stay off Shulk until Customs future post Evo is confirmed.
I like Decisive Monado arts but I'll be damned practicing them, then Evo flops and its back to regular. They don't play the same.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

D3's run-off aerials are amazing. Run-off fair/nair at lower percents can lead into hilarious gimping opportunities (depending on the character getting whacked by D3, and if you catch enough of their jumps, of course). At higher percents, though, a run-off FF (usually fresh) fair outright KOs people. The latter is especially good at bopping people recovering low.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well, with Ness and Lucas, it's more of them having different "spells" or PK abilities. So, both of them can use PK Fire, but they apply it differently like how Mario and Luigi use Fireball, Tornado/Cyclone, and Super Jump Punch differently. It's basically the Ryu/Ken thing. The only issue is that while Lucas is a semi clone and plays differently than Ness, the issue is that Mother/EarthBound is finished - I remember reading an interview where the developer said he was done with the series. This is unlike Star Fox, Metroid, or F-Zero who haven't got any new games out yet and can continue in some way ignoring rereleases. For all we know, Metroid could introduce an alligator alien who becomes pivotal in say, 2 of the games as an friendly NPC and becomes well-loved for his Australian accent and Italian references, especially Machiavelli.

So, Mother/EarthBound like Ice Climbers were probably put low on priority. That said, who knows, maybe Mother 4 will be released in 2016.

As for Wolf being the 3rd Star Fox rep, I going to say Sakurai didn't know Nintendo wanted to make another Star Fox which I think they just recently decided to make one after seeing people wanted another Star Fox. If he did know, then Wolf was probably put low, then high, but way too late, hence, Wolf Flash making it in as a custom and Twisting Fox functions like Fire Wolf. Hell, maybe Falco got Wolf's Bair because it worked while Melee/Brawl Falco's Bair might have run into some snags which sucks since Falco loses a front hitbox for his Bair.

This is all just speculation, so take it with a grain of salt.

What's got people hyped about Wolf Flash?

this is so...bizarre. lol.
To sum it up, Wolf Flash gives Fox a strong meteor, makes edgeguarding him more dangerous, makes his recovery less exploitable since Wolf Flash travels diagonally instead of straight, and it functions as a kill and sort of an anti air tool.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
What's got people hyped about Wolf Flash?

this is so...bizarre. lol.
Yeah, also :4jigglypuff: is also more of a clone of :4fox: than :wolf::eek:.
Well, with Ness and Lucas, it's more of them having different "spells" or PK abilities. So, both of them can use PK Fire, but they apply it differently like how Mario and Luigi use Fireball, Tornado/Cyclone, and Super Jump Punch differently. It's basically the Ryu/Ken thing. The only issue is that while Lucas is a semi clone and plays differently than Ness, the issue is that Mother/EarthBound is finished - I rember reading an interview where the developer said he was done with the series.. This is unlike Star Fox, Metroid, or F-Zero who haven't got any new games out yet and can continue in some way ignoring rereleases. For all we know, Metroid could introduce an alligator alien who becomes pivotal in say, 2 of the games as an friendly NPC and becomes well-loved for his Australian accent and Italian references, especially Machiavelli.

So, Mother/EarthBound like Ice Climbers were probably put low on priority. That said, who knows, maybe Mother 4 will be released in 2016.

As for Wolf being the 3rd Star Fox rep, I going to say Sakurai didn't know Nintendo wanted to make another Star Fox which I think they just recently decided to make one after seeing people wanted another Star Fox. If he did know, then Wolf was probably put low, then high, but way too late, hence Wolf Flash making it in as a custom and Twisting Fox functions like Fire Wolf. Hell, maybe Falco got Wolf's Bair because it worked while Melee/Brawl Falco's Bair might have run into some snags which sucks since Falco loses a front hitbox for his Bair.

This is all just speculation, so take it with a grain of salt.

To sum it up, Wolf Flash gives Fox a strong meteor, makes edgeguarding him more dangerous, makes his recovery less exploitable since Wolf Flash travels diagonally instead of straight, and it functions as a kill and sort of an anti air tool.
Actually Star Fox U was stated to originally be released for the Wii, but Miyamoto could not get it to work, so he pushed it to Wii U,http://mynintendonews.com/2014/06/1...wii-u-has-been-in-development-for-many-years/ it is possible Sakurai didn't get the memo, also Star Fox 64 3D came out in 2011. Apparently the Japanese have the custom move named Fox Flash, not Wolf Flash like the English version, maybe it was just a translation error.

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
I'm actually hopeful that the Cimbers will be released for DLC, along with Lucas and Wolf (I'd pay for char. DLC), with the advent of the New 3DS (better CPU), but it is Sakurai...

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Actually Star Fox U was stated to originally be released for the Wii, but Miyamoto could not get it to work, so he pushed it to Wii U,http://mynintendonews.com/2014/06/1...wii-u-has-been-in-development-for-many-years/ it is possible Sakurai didn't get the memo, also Star Fox 64 3D came out in 2011. Apparently the Japanese have the custom move named Fox Flash, not Wolf Flash like the English version, maybe it was just a translation error.
Thanks for reminding me since I just remembered that Platinum Games, I think it was mostly Hideki Kamiya, and some other studios were interested in making a Star Fox for the Wii. Maybe Sakurai thought it would be pushed back way too late and it might change Wolf too much that it wouldn't be worth it since it would conflict with space cowboy Wolf from Assault, Command, and Brawl and Star Fox Wii U Wolf. For all we know, Ganondorf could be strictly a magic, trickster character in Zelda Wii U while in previous games, he was a straight up gladiator who could use magic and manipulate puppets.

I also wondered about the Japanese name for Wolf Flash as a custom since Fire Wolf was called Wolf Shoot like a MMA, shoot boxer, or wrestler shooting for a tackle. Why it was called Fire Wolf in Brawl when Wolf Shoot was fine, I don't know. Yes, it makes sense as Wolf gets fired into a direction. Still, Fox Flash would have been fine instead of Wolf Flash and for more passionate fans, they were probably ****** off seeing Wolf Flash for Fox.

Anyway, on the subject of Fox's customs, how are his Blaster customs, his Reflector customs, and the other Fox Illusion custom?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom