• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Viran

Smash Lord
It very well may. I may be overestimating Sheik's bair because of how easily Sheik can gimp offstage with it compared to ZSS. They're both insane bairs either way. Samus' is among the weakest in the game when sourspotted, which is VERY often. Even fresh it fails to kill a DI-ing Mario at the edge of Brinstar at 140%. Most characters can end a stock with bair much earlier than that more reliably.

I've played Samus many times and I've never landed a sweetspot on her bair. And I'm not what you'd call terrible at landing attacks because I consistently land knee of justice and lightning kicks, attacks infamous for brief sweetspots. Maybe I just time it wrong. Either way, the sourspot needs to be stronger.
The sour spot is in about the same place as zss's Bair but bigger. You need to space it for the sweet spot like almost every other Bair. The sour spot is weak though.

Edit: her sour spot is still stronger than sheiks sweet spot. I don't think it's to much different from trying to land a sweet spot with a lot of other Bairs.

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Triple D is actually a really cool character IMO. His disjoints and power are really good, and offstage shenanigans are a thing with this guy. Seriously, he has a better edgeguarding game than people give him credit for. Uair kills early and it's speed is decent. The hitbox lingers so it can beat air dodges. Not to mention d-throw sets it up. He's got some good things going for him. Granted, there are things holding the penguin king back, like mobility and dangerous Gordos etc.
But here's the thing. Too often, people look at a feature of a character and go: yeah so that places them in lower mid tier. But like, every character has something holding them back. Saying: DeDeDe has no mobility in the air as the sole reason that he's bottom tier isn't enough. If that were the case, I could just say Diddy is bottom tier because of his recovery, or Sheik is bottom tier because of her weight. I don't know, I just think too many people think like that when we discuss unexplored characters.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Some things:

- Jet Hammer is ass. D3 has much better options (e.g. every other move in his arsenal except maybe dair). It's slower than f-smash (even at minimum charge, check the frame data), kills at around the same percent as f-smash at max charge, and cannot be made safe even at optimum range on-shield or otherwise. The custom variants of it are only dubiously better.

For the edgeguarding example, you're better off chasing them down with aerials or even chucking Gordos than trying to hit them with Jet Hammer on their way back, on-stage or off. From on-stage using this move, you're more than likely gonna whiff while your opponent safely lands behind you or grabs the edge; off-stage, you're likely to waste valuable jumps when you inevitably whiff with it than actually hit someone. So tl;dr, D3 has an amazing set of tools to edgeguard, but Jet Hammer has virtually no part in that. It is terrible.

- Your gripe about sourspots? Fodder for follow-ups at lower percentages for the aerials. The one thing D3 can do really well is string his aerials together, and it's because of that. F-smash's sourspot? It covers your ass. It's a huge radial area around the mallet and the point of its impact. Even if you bonk somebody with it while they're shielding, as long as you space it, it induces enough shieldstun and pushback for you to get your ass in gear before they punish you. If you hit them with it, you pop them up in the air and get a free reset to neutral. I'll give you the rest of the attacks, but I think you're being a little hyperbolic about it.

- D3's grab game is fantastic, but I wouldn't put it on the level of Palutena or even Ike. It wanes somewhat at higher percentages.

I'm prolly missing a few things but whatevs.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Just played some games as Samus since I barely used her at all since getting the game, to get a better idea on why she's so bad for myself. First off, the good:

-I like her mobility, much better than before. She moves more fluidly and follows up better.
-Her tilts are all more useful and faster, even if dtilt is much weaker.
-Charge Shot is great when it actually connects.
-She definitely kills a little easier than before.
-Great grab and excellent pummel. Throws have some follow ups like fair or uair.

The bad:
-USmash is asinine. Why can't it hit next to her AT ALL? Even tall characters like Link avoid it. She literally has to juggle to connect this thing.
-Bair and Uair are TOO WEAK. There is no reason Samus should have less kill power with these moves than Sheik, who is supposed to be fast, combo-friendly and weak. Bair literally can't kill even at the stage edge until well above 100%.
-Missiles suck. Too slow for how ineffective they are in knockback. Smash missiles need to kill way earlier.
-Uair and fair need the Sheik/Fox treatment of trapping the opponent in their gravity to ensure the final blow connects.
-Jab hits are terrible at both connecting.
-Dair is too slow on startup, easy to hell to avoid.
-Dash attack has awkward startup frames that make it possible to lunge through an opponent before using the shoulder bash, even though Ganon and Falcon don't have that issue.
-Side-smash should have a bit more power on sourspot.
-Down-smash is horrendous. No damage OR knockback. Not that great in speed either.

There's a lot of issues that need to be worked out here.
For people who are picking up Samus for half a week to see how bad she is. Stop. That's actually disgusting you think you can come up with a definitive opinion of a character based on half a week of play, let alone "a few games." The fact that you didn't even mention one of her most important tools (Z-Air) screams ignorance.

I'm no expert on Samus, but here are some things as someone who plays Samus often enough and actually looks at the character forum enough to feel somewhat comfortable talking about her.

Sourspot BAir combo's into itself/the sweetspot at times. If you make UAir stronger, it stops being a combo tool. Also, making the final hit always connect takes away some of the mock-combo type things you can do with it (weaker, but similar to Greninja/Sheik's UAir). DSmash comes out at frame 9 and hits behind her on frame 18 (f9 isn't slow and f18 is faster than the back hit of Pit's dsmash).

Dash attack is awkward, but when does awkward = bad? Awkward just means you, as a player, are not good at it. Probably because you've only spent a couple days with the character. Luigi and Greninja are awkward AF, doesn't make them any worse.

She has problems in neutral. Against grounded opponents, she gets conversions off of dash attack, dtilt (quite punishable), grabs (high risk... also f16. Shield grab for her is 1 frame faster than shield drop>fsmash), and falling uair. She loses to up close pressure, which the top characters are good at, and her best OOS options are her f3 jab 1 (nobody cares about if you hit them with it) and screw attack (which has small horizontal range).

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Robin is not top tier material, but she is definitely not bottom either. She's a solid mid, probably close to where Marth is sitting. She can projectile camp and punish heavyweights all day too.
Good post on Robin, but no - Robin can NOT projectile camp. H/She's literally designed not to. Our discussion on characters becomes unhelpful when we start pretending characters are more polarized than they actually are. Robin is a punish and read-based character, not a campy projectile character. Robin is far too slow to do this, but also literally limited by ammo and cannot camp 'all day'. You never want to toss thunders out willy-nilly, same goes for arcfires as they are too valuable to waste. The moment you have no more arcfire's left is when your opponent can safely approach without much of the danger Robin usually presents.

To those reading - please understand this and realise that playing Robin like a camper is going to get you nowhere, and good Robins won't play that way. They will gladly get in your face with a charged thunder in their pocket, pressure your shield with arcfire, go in for a grab, throw you, hit you with an uair, then trap your landing with thunder. Robin can do a lot when s/he's in. Kind of reminds me of Falco in a way.

Hopefully that helps you out in realising the playstyle and mindset that allows Robin to excel and play to his/her strengths in order to be successful. Nairo has spoken about this a lot on stream as well if you want to know his personal insight. Also @Nairo - you should really give Falco a try - he seems to fit the playstyle you have with Robin/Pit very well. :)

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Triple D is actually a really cool character IMO. His disjoints and power are really good, and offstage shenanigans are a thing with this guy. Seriously, he has a better edgeguarding game than people give him credit for. Uair kills early and it's speed is decent. The hitbox lingers so it can beat air dodges. Not to mention d-throw sets it up. He's got some good things going for him. Granted, there are things holding the penguin king back, like mobility and dangerous Gordos etc.
But here's the thing. Too often, people look at a feature of a character and go: yeah so that places them in lower mid tier. But like, every character has something holding them back. Saying: DeDeDe has no mobility in the air as the sole reason that he's bottom tier isn't enough. If that were the case, I could just say Diddy is bottom tier because of his recovery, or Sheik is bottom tier because of her weight. I don't know, I just think too many people think like that when we discuss unexplored characters.
Dedede's Up Air isn't just decent, in my opinion, it beats almost anything and everything that dares to challenge it. Diddy has to legitimately worry about Link and Toon Link's dairs, but the Hylians really have to think twice about trying to pull the same stunt on Dedede because his Up Air demolishes them in that situation.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Dunno, I haven't read the details of Evo's ruleset in detail. If you want to find out about ruleset news, be sure to head to the ruleset thread. It'd be just as strange to go to the ruleset thread and ask "So what do you guys think about the Mario vs Sheik matchup?" :p

So - are the anti-camp/evasion/timeout strategies bolstered by customs-on as much as the anti-camp/evasion/timeout strategies are bolstered?
Considering what a vast quantity of these customs turn out to be better, strong or faster projectiles, wind-box style "get off me" moves, and trade-ins on moves to reduce recovery for armor or raw power? Its very likely the game gets more defensive

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
For people who are picking up Samus for half a week to see how bad she is. Stop. That's actually disgusting you think you can come up with a definitive opinion of a character based on half a week of play, let alone "a few games." The fact that you didn't even mention one of her most important tools (Z-Air) screams ignorance.
Eh, I played a fair lot of Samus in BBrawl. She hasn't really changed that drastically, she just got a few buffs along with a lot of totally unnecessary nerfs.

And yes Zair has always been a great move, but it can't be the entirety of your neutral game.

Sourspot BAir combo's into itself/the sweetspot at times.
Key word "at times". All the rest of those times you'd rather just have the strong hit.

If you make UAir stronger, it stops being a combo tool.
This is why it should be UpB that has the kill power. It just doesn't.

If you give UpB the ability to kill at like 100-120 depending on height (which I'm confident it had during development based on Sakurai's comments), I think most of Samus's problems would be fixed.

Clearly they just said "oh, this character is really strong because she has this great tool, we should nerf it into oblivion so she'll be fair" and didn't bother to see if she had anything else to make her viable.

Dash attack is awkward, but when does awkward = bad? Awkward just means you, as a player, are not good at it.
This is not true. The move is "awkward" because it has deadzones. Being better does not allow you to mitigate this, there will always be places the move just refuses to hit at that makes it easier for your opponent to work around the move. See all the DK mainers complaining about deadzones on his attacks for example.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

I'm no expert on Samus, but here are some things as someone who plays Samus often enough and actually looks at the character forum enough to feel somewhat comfortable talking about her.

Sourspot BAir combo's into itself/the sweetspot at times. If you make UAir stronger, it stops being a combo tool. Also, making the final hit always connect takes away some of the mock-combo type things you can do with it (weaker, but similar to Greninja/Sheik's UAir). DSmash comes out at frame 9 and hits behind her on frame 18 (f9 isn't slow and f18 is faster than the back hit of Pit's dsmash).

Dash attack is awkward, but when does awkward = bad? Awkward just means you, as a player, are not good at it. Probably because you've only spent a couple days with the character. Luigi and Greninja are awkward AF, doesn't make them any worse.

She has problems in neutral. Against grounded opponents, she gets conversions off of dash attack, dtilt (quite punishable), grabs (high risk... also f16. Shield grab for her is 1 frame faster than shield drop>fsmash), and falling uair. She loses to up close pressure, which the top characters are good at, and her best OOS options are her f3 jab 1 (nobody cares about if you hit them with it) and screw attack (which has small horizontal range).
I probably worded things incorrectly. I didn't mean offense by saying "seeing how bad she is". I meant only to see where her fundamental flaws were in her basics. I obviously know nothing of her advanced metagame. I know zair is good, but it got nerfed in this game to my knowledge and isn't as good of a tool as it used to be. I'm not proclaiming myself the all-know master of Samus after a few games, I was just noting some areas that are immediately noticeable to be somewhat lacking. It was a "first impressions" sort of thing, to be taken with a grain of salt. I am not building a guide on Samus out of so little experience, so don't get so offended.
I just got curious after everyone insisted Samus had glaring flaws and wanted to test out her basics to see what they were on about. And after playing other characters its easy to see where her basic attacks could use some more consistency, just like Zelda. But I'm not going to say Samus is outright bad because that would be ignorant. I know very little of her meta after not having used her consistently since Melee.

Good post on Robin, but no - Robin can NOT projectile camp. H/She's literally designed not to. Our discussion on characters becomes unhelpful when we start pretending characters are more polarized than they actually are. Robin is a punish and read-based character, not a campy projectile character. Robin is far too slow to do this, but also literally limited by ammo and cannot camp 'all day'. You never want to toss thunders out willy-nilly, same goes for arcfires as they are too valuable to waste. The moment you have no more arcfire's left is when your opponent can safely approach without much of the danger Robin usually presents.

To those reading - please understand this and realise that playing Robin like a camper is going to get you nowhere, and good Robins won't play that way. They will gladly get in your face with a charged thunder in their pocket, pressure your shield with arcfire, go in for a grab, throw you, hit you with an uair, then trap your landing with thunder. Robin can do a lot when s/he's in. Kind of reminds me of Falco in a way.

Hopefully that helps you out in realising the playstyle and mindset that allows Robin to excel and play to his/her strengths in order to be successful. Nairo has spoken about this a lot on stream as well if you want to know his personal insight. Also @Nairo - you should really give Falco a try - he seems to fit the playstyle you have with Robin/Pit very well. :)
Again, my wording was awkward. She can't camp indefinitely, but her Arcfire triggers heavy punishes on heavyweights/fast fallers, because they have a hard time getting out of it before she grabs and punishes. As my post points out, her real strengths are punishing and spacing, and having excellent kill tools and good survival skills. I play Robin occasionally, and again, I'm no expert on her character at all, but I know where she excels and where she lacks. I basically meant to say that characters who can't get in quickly will have Robin get in and punish heavily.

Again, no one need go on the offensive on me for my posts about characters. I'm not pretending to be some sage who knows everything about everyone. I just know bits and pieces of everybody. I'm no Mew2King and won't pretend to be. Just throwing out ideas for character buffs, based ONLY on their most obvious issues. Aka the ones you notice immediately. And how do I know if their issues? Well if they hurt the character's followups or limit their options/killpower, I see them as issues. Not everyone has to agree that they are.

Last edited:

FimPhym

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-2129-8093
Some dedede stuff in response recent posts generally.

Jet hammer is certainly one of the worst moves in the game, and as close to useless to dedede as it gets due to other moves filling the same roles better.

Dedede's grab game is alright, grab basically means about 20% and advantage time which he thrives on. No kill throw or kill set ups and past about 70-80% you basically just f throw off stage or back throw for damage and a juggle chance. His grab range is fantastic and since it's literally faster than his jab and slower than only down tilt, grab ends up being a go to thing.

People don't know how to use Gordos but they're pretty good. It's hard to tell who is a knower because as your understanding of them increases your opinion will fluctuate between "amazing" and "useless" several times before it stops at "yeah pretty good".

His dash attack is a forward smash you do from running which beats roll. It's pretty sick to use for ledge snap vulnerability but requires a read. If you use it on reaction it's already too late.

Just in general dedede has a weird non standard play style that makes him look garbage, when he is merely bad. You can't play him like characters with fast frame data and getting used to dedede neutral is rough. He has horrific mobility specs but massive hitboxes and some incredible advantage states.

When your biggest weakness is no mobility, what is the ideal situation? Force them to come to you, preferably with limited defensive options. Edge guarding and juggles are exactly that. Gravity forces them to move in your path, and suddenly these slow giant hitboxes can't just be danced around. This is where gordos shine too, falling or recovering people have not got great answers to a gordo bouncing in place where they want to go. Virtually anything they do to reflect or dodge it is punishable by the free-to-act, grounded dedede.

As I type this smooth criminal and others have covered a lot of this stuff and that uair is a disgustingly good move. Many of dedede's moves have insane properties or hitboxes and would be way too good on other characters, that's the incentive to be slow and fat.

Oh dedede also has lots of low percent combo and follow up opportunities in a way I think most heavies don't. Sour nair in grab, or up tilt, or up air depending on percent. Up tilt to up air (up tilt is an insane anti air and even hits decently in front of him and is lightning quick - for a dedede move.).

Anyway he's bad, maybe near the bottom as some say, maybe mid or low like others say. People just have a lot of the wrong reasons for why. Mostly it's that he is forced to approach many characters that have the tools to approach him already, but love even more to exploit him approaching. Yoshi, fox, zss, diddy, those speedy guys with decent projectiles. Compare to DHD or villager who force an approach but at least they don't have a kit that could already go aggressive against dedede.

To end positivey, and make a tame claim, dedede probably has top 3 edge guarding in the game. His combination of comfort off stage, ledge traps with gordos and massive reward on hit make him no joke. It just doesn't do enough to pay off his shoddy neutral state.

Conda

Again, my wording was awkward. She can't camp indefinitely, but her Arcfire triggers heavy punishes on heavyweights/fast fallers, because they have a hard time getting out of it before she grabs and punishes. As my post points out, her real strengths are punishing and spacing, and having excellent kill tools and good survival skills. I play Robin occasionally, and again, I'm no expert on her character at all, but I know where she excels and where she lacks. I basically meant to say that characters who can't get in quickly will have Robin get in and punish heavily.

Again, no one need go on the offensive on me for my posts about characters. I'm not pretending to be some sage who knows everything about everyone. I just know bits and pieces of everybody. I'm no Mew2King and won't pretend to be. Just throwing out ideas for character buffs, based ONLY on their most obvious issues. Aka the ones you notice immediately.
No worries, I'm just always thinking about the lurkers and readers of this thread. There's a big difference between projectile camping and zoning. What robin can do with arcfire is zoning, not camping, and it's important to me to let readers see the distinction and not be potentially confused or mislead. :) Cheers for the informative posts otherwise, keep it up.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
This is not true. The move is "awkward" because it has deadzones. Being better does not allow you to mitigate this, there will always be places the move just refuses to hit at that makes it easier for your opponent to work around the move. See all the DK mainers complaining about deadzones on his attacks for example.
Agreed on a lot of those accounts. I felt like the original post completely undersold her more than I felt she deserved, which is somewhat hard to do considering I consider her one of the worst characters in the game.

RE Dash attack: Being better allows you to manage the dead zone of her dash attack better, mostly by using it at a different range. Dash attack is a mobile move that is rarely done from a stand still, which makes it different from DK's dead zones or Zelda's phantom dead zone. That said, it is tricky and annoying.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Some things:

- Jet Hammer is ***. D3 has much better options (e.g. every other move in his arsenal except maybe dair). It's slower than f-smash (even at minimum charge, check the frame data), kills at around the same percent as f-smash at max charge, and cannot be made safe even at optimum range on-shield or otherwise. The custom variants of it are only dubiously better.

For the edgeguarding example, you're better off chasing them down with aerials or even chucking Gordos than trying to hit them with Jet Hammer on their way back, on-stage or off. From on-stage using this move, you're more than likely gonna whiff while your opponent safely lands behind you or grabs the edge; off-stage, you're likely to waste valuable jumps when you inevitably whiff with it than actually hit someone. So tl;dr, D3 has an amazing set of tools to edgeguard, but Jet Hammer has virtually no part in that. It is terrible.

- Your gripe about sourspots? Fodder for follow-ups at lower percentages for the aerials. The one thing D3 can do really well is string his aerials together, and it's because of that. F-smash's sourspot? It covers your ***. It's a huge radial area around the mallet and the point of its impact. Even if you bonk somebody with it while they're shielding, as long as you space it, it induces enough shieldstun and pushback for you to get your *** in gear before they punish you. If you hit them with it, you pop them up in the air and get a free reset to neutral. I'll give you the rest of the attacks, but I think you're being a little hyperbolic about it.

- D3's grab game is fantastic, but I wouldn't put it on the level of Palutena or even Ike. It wanes somewhat at higher percentages.

I'm prolly missing a few things but whatevs.

Smooth Criminal
Ah ok. For some reason I thought Jet Hammer was better than Brawl and actually useful because it seemed fast and very rewarding in KO power on hit, but that shows how much I know about its finer aspects. I like Dedede, I just noticed some of those things during my play time with him (which is more than just a few games in all btw, just not much recently). I guess my only beef with the sourspots is more that the end lag of the moves, coupled with the low knockback, doesn't seem good for follow-ups without being punished. But if you main him you probably know about that than me of course.

His edgeguarding is awesome, and I feel like his grab game is worse than Brawl but still good. I'm surprised that you find it worse than Ike or Palutena's (I know both of those two better than Dedede and didn't realize they were better, other than their great set-ups). I also didn't realize JH was slower than FSmash. That's pretty bad, how did I not see that? Maybe I wasn't counting the charge time.

Part of the reason I post these somewhat uninformed posts is to GET more informed by actual mains. Because who knows when I may want to pick up the character as a secondary? Also, I like having some proficiency with everyone for variety's sake, even if its impractical from a mastery standpoint. Enjoy the game to the fullest, so to speak.

So, thanks for the info. Anyone can feel free to post like this and correct me, just don't attack me over my mistakes. I'm here to discuss, as well as learn. My finer knowledge is limited to characters like Shulk, Yoshi, Fox, Ike, Falcon and Morton/Jr. (Morton's da best man), who I play much more and practice with more often. But I want to gain an appreciation for the whole cast. I won't undersell anyone intentionally.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Part of the reason I post these somewhat uninformed posts is to GET more informed by actual mains. Because who knows when I may want to pick up the character as a secondary? Also, I like having some proficiency with everyone for variety's sake, even if its impractical from a mastery standpoint. Enjoy the game to the fullest, so to speak.

So, thanks for the info. Anyone can feel free to post like this and correct me, just don't attack me over my mistakes. I'm here to discuss, as well as learn.
I'd say going to the character forums is a good way to learn about a character you don't know about. I just don't think this is a great place for first impression/somewhat uninformed posts.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'd say going to the character forums is a good way to learn about a character you don't know about. I just don't think this is a great place for first impression/somewhat uninformed posts.
True. I spend a lot of time over there reading and analyzing. I just like this thread because if you have ANY question about any character, there is likely a main somewhere on board who can correct you, agree with you etc. It is universally useful to learning the finer aspects of all characters simultaneously, and no discussion about a relevant character is off-topic. Keep in mind I didn't even start visiting this thread until yesterday. Until then, I had stuck to the individual character sections.

I used to have problems with DK and Mega Man, but have learned to play Mega Man better and have learned that DK is a beast despite his deadzones (Eventhubs doesn't have any idea what they're talking about), so I have an appreciation for your mains, as well as the Samus mains, Robin mains, Dedede mains etc.

Another benefit to using this thread is that the people are, as a whole, less passionate about an individual character than the dedicated sections. If I point out problems with Samus that I notice as a first (or technically second, I used her a bit at launch) impression, I am less likely to anger the community at large since I won't have an army of dedicated players being upset by my ignorance or criticism.

TL DR; I use this place for convenience and discussion. I'm not the only one on here throwing out ideas without full knowledge of the character. That's why we discuss, so we can see all sides of a topic. Anyway, I call a truce, so don't take anything I say offensively. I didn't mean to undersell Samus. I WANT her to be good, if anything. Every character deserves to be good.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Because its an easy projectile wall to get through. I am honestly going to go ahead and fire shots; is there anything good about this character besides the Levin Sword? Seriously? You've got a projectile game with arbitrary limits and poor mix-ups. Arc Fire is super slow and accomplishes very little while being seriously punishable, just like everything Robin does except certain levin hitboxes and thoron. On top of that you're horribly combo-prone for all of the cast's good close ups, your mobility is poop and as good as levin hitboxes are if your opponent respects them they have totally punishable endlags. If people feel like Robin is good, I'd like to know why because I'm ignorant to it or at least haven't experienced it.
@Nairo take this one. :)
[Desire to Learn Intensifies]
This was the question, @Nairo . I just legit find the character's combination of poor mobility, floatiness, and slow predictable wind-up on the Fire+Thunder projectile game to all spell, theoretically, a death sentence for character quality, even WITH the levin sword. Adding the arbitrary charge system and a predictable, incredibly gimpable recovery and I struggle to see what this character can do.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well, this place is way more active. Some of the character board topics get like 3 posts a day.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
About Samus and how much she would be helped if up special were a kill move, well, why not run Apex Screw Attack? IMO customs redeem the character; Apex Screw Attack is that kill move she needs, and Relentless Missiles are just such a good tool in general that make her spatial control game a lot more real.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Well, this place is way more active. Some of the character board topics get like 3 posts a day.
It's a vicious cycle that feeds into itself.

Edit: Apex Screw attack comes out at f15 compared to f5. You're losing her only decent OOS option. It's a tough trade to make, albeit one that should be considered. I, personally, haven't gotten around to appreciating it yet.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
This was the question, @Nairo . I just legit find the character's combination of poor mobility, floatiness, and slow predictable wind-up on the Fire+Thunder projectile game to all spell, theoretically, a death sentence for character quality, even WITH the levin sword. Adding the arbitrary charge system and a predictable, incredibly gimpable recovery and I struggle to see what this character can do.
Again, I'm not Nairo, but just as something to point out:

You're a Falcon/Little Mac main. This means:
1. You probably favor rushdown, speedy, combo-friendly powerhouses, which Robin isn't.
2. You have a good match-up against her (to my knowledge), making her seem terrible when you face her, because Falcon/Little Mac get in easily and don't allow her to zone or setup easily thanks to dash grabs, generally speed, aerial setups, and armor on Mac's smashes, which she can't easily escape or deal with because she's slow.

Robin is a different playstyle, as @ Conda Conda pointed out. Her playstyle struggles against the niche of character you use and excels against slower, less rush-friendly characters. She can go toe-to-toe with Mario, Luigi, the Pits, Bowser, Dorf, DK etc. But she can't deal with Sheik, Diddy, Falcon or Mac well (unless she gets Mac into the air).

Nairo could probably tell you the finer aspects of her character. But that may be why you don't see her strengths.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Just played some games as Samus since I barely used her at all since getting the game, to get a better idea on why she's so bad for myself. First off, the good:

-I like her mobility, much better than before. She moves more fluidly and follows up better.
-Great grab and excellent pummel. Throws have some follow ups like fair or uair.

The bad:
-USmash is asinine. Why can't it hit next to her AT ALL? Even tall characters like Link avoid it. She literally has to juggle to connect this thing.
-Bair and Uair are TOO WEAK. There is no reason Samus should have less kill power with these moves than Sheik, who is supposed to be fast, combo-friendly and weak. Bair literally can't kill even at the stage edge until well above 100%.
-Missiles suck. Too slow for how ineffective they are in knockback. Smash missiles need to kill way earlier.

-Uair and fair need the Sheik/Fox treatment of trapping the opponent in their gravity to ensure the final blow connects.
-Dash attack has awkward startup frames that make it possible to lunge through an opponent before using the shoulder bash, even though Ganon and Falcon don't have that issue.
-Down-smash is horrendous. No damage OR knockback. Not that great in speed either.

Samus is wierd. iv labbed her for 3 months so far. Iv bolded what i dissagree with.

Bair is actually one of her best kill moves and is very strong compared to most characters. it just has a sweet spot and a sour spot. sweet spot can kill well below 100% off stage.
On to the u air, im not gunna say i completely dissagree with what you said. it could use more kill power yeah. but im not usre i want the gravity.
From my experience the u air dis linking in the air can lead to some nice kill set ups into bair or nair because of hit stun, witch would be impossible if it had a gravity effect.
Jabs will never connect it's intentional. even say's in the games tips. use jab 1 (though yes it would be nice if it did connect but its actually a very usefull tool.)
Samus's dair has a long hit box little lag and is the only dair spike to auto cancel in SH its her best move.
That's just my experience with her though.

i did not bold the dash attack thing simply because its true. but it never happens once u understand the hitbox.

*edit* forgot missiles, homing missles do suck super missles though are exeptionally useful, they have great shield damage and they pop opponents just right in the air for kill set ups. (also there not a kill move but there hundreds times better than the poop super missles of brawl.)

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
About Samus and how much she would be helped if up special were a kill move, well, why not run Apex Screw Attack? IMO customs redeem the character; Apex Screw Attack is that kill move she needs, and Relentless Missiles are just such a good tool in general that make her spatial control game a lot more real.
Dense charge shot is also situationally incredible, I believe. :p

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Idk some of these character boards are dead. While others are just lacking.

Conda

Just to clarify - Robin is not really too floaty. S/He has an amazing FF speed and can be very mobile vertically, and has good aerial mobility too. You really do feel like a swordie in the air as Robin, and it's definitely a trait that Robin has to take advantage of because it's the only real form of mobility that s/he has.'

But yeah, everything else you said is very valid. Off to you @Nairo :p It's good to talk about those characters in gray areas - weak in some important areas, but clearly strong/effective in many important areas too.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn

The bad:

I agree with many of your points. Her tilts are great, usmash is garbage, but utilt makes up for it by being harder to punish and stronger (why?). Usmash basically only hits super tall characters. At least it includes rosalina. Utilt nets me lots of kills against people coming back to the stage.

Her fsmash is pretty good in this game. It's tied for fastest (frame 10). And has good knockout power. Very fast and the sweet spot kills around 100%. Can be tilted to great effect as an anti-aerial and as an edge punish. I could hope for a better sour spot though.

Missiles could be better but the objective is to use them then follow them up. They are a very safe move to force a person off a ledge from a distance. Super missile chains to charge shot at low percent, chains to a sh charge shot at mid percent, and almost chains to a full jump charge shot around 80% (this one seems avoidable). I do wish it was more like melee's.

Jabs are terrible. Jab 1 isn't safe until about 30%.

Dash attack is great. It does have the janky startup, but once you get used to it, the dash works well because you can cross up a shield while still hitting an opponent and it's hard to punish. It also chains to Uair like a boss.

Uair is a chain move. I'm fine with how weak it is. Frame 5 startup, bigger hitbox than brawl, very little landing lag. Uair is great. Basically the same story with fair, frame 6 startup and a great gimp move.

Bair has 3 hit boxes. Sour, strong, and late. The strong hitbox isn't really that small at all. It's significantly stronger than sheiks.

Dair is as telegraphed as Mario's fair but at least it has low landing lag.

Unmentioned Pros:
Heavy (7th heaviest) and floaty (tied 6th slowest faller) (only character like this) this makes her hard to kill and lets her escapes combos relatively well. For me, this is one of the biggest reasons I like her.
UpB is super buffed. It's a legit kill move especially if you catch them up high. Great OoS option and has invincibility frames.
Good recovery mixups thanks to bombs.
The pummel thing can't be overstated. It's not only good for building damage, it uses lots of hits to do so and will freshen up your moves a lot.

Unmentioned Con:
Grab startup is slowest in the game (tied ZSS), reducing shield grab options in comparison to the majority of the cast, and even compared to link, tink, pac-man and to a lesser extent, yoshi.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It's true that my opinion that Samus is bottom 5 is based on Customs off. Still, 15 frame startup is kinda lame. Still may be worth using in some matchups as a combo followup, but not against characters with strong pressure where you need the OOS option to keep them from just running a train.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Samus is wierd. iv labbed her for 3 months so far. Iv bolded what i dissagree with.

Bair is actually one of her best kill moves and is very strong compared to most characters. it just has a sweet spot and a sour spot. sweet spot can kill well below 100% off stage.
On to the u air, im not gunna say i completely dissagree with what you said. it could use more kill power yeah. but im not usre i want the gravity.
From my experience the u air dis linking in the air can lead to some nice kill set ups into bair or nair because of hit stun, witch would be impossible if it had a gravity effect.
Jabs will never connect it's intentional. even say's in the games tips. use jab 1 (though yes it would be nice if it did connect but its actually a very usefull tool.)
Samus's dair has a long hit box little lag and is the only dair spike to auto cancel in SH its her best move.
That's just my experience with her though.

i did not bold the dash attack thing simply because its true. but it never happens once u understand the hitbox.
I just find it weird that she has one two-hit jab string intended to perform two different roles at different times. Many characters have two strings to balance this out, like Falcon or Pit. I agree her dair is good, it just has a long, awkward startup considering how floaty she is (not as bad as Brawl) which makes it hard to land offstage for the spike. Seems better onstage as a short hop approach option.

I learned about bair shortly after. The sweetspot and sourspot are hard to differentiate sometimes in the animation so I didn't even realize there was a sweetspot. I just kept landing the sourspot and thinking "why is this so weak?" Sweetspot is much better, so there's that.

@ Xygonn Xygonn I didn't mention the weight and floatiness thing because she's always been like that as one of her traits iirc. The screw attack is definitely better. Dair spike off of the stage into Up-B is brutal if they fail to tech.
F-Smash is good, I just wish its sourspot was just a bit stronger to even out more of her KO issues. She can't depend solely on her risky Up-B, avoidable Charge Shot, sweetspot bair and hard-to-spike-with dair every time. She needs one kill move that's always reliable.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Just to clarify - Robin is not really too floaty. S/He has an amazing FF speed and can be very mobile vertically, and has good aerial mobility too. You really do feel like a swordie in the air as Robin, and it's definitely a trait that Robin has to take advantage of because it's the only real form of mobility that s/he has'.
Puff is still best air swordie tho.

Conda

Puff is still best air swordie tho.
I was speaking more about Marth's trademark floatiness, but fast FF speed which gives very good aerial control. Robin has this too, and can move fairly well horizontally in the air too. You definitely feel fully in control of your aerial movement as Robin, which is a definitely good thing and something that allows him/her to use the levin sword aerials effectively, as well as stay mobile vertically. Robin is a great sh FF jumper and can stay mobile this way, as @Nairo often shows.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I just find it weird that she has one two-hit jab string intended to perform two different roles at different times. Many characters have two strings to balance this out, like Falcon or Pit. I agree her dair is good, it just has a long, awkward startup considering how floaty she is (not as bad as Brawl) which makes it hard to land offstage for the spike. Seems better onstage as a short hop approach option.

I learned about bair shortly after. The sweetspot and sourspot are hard to differentiate sometimes in the animation so I didn't even realize there was a sweetspot. I just kept landing the sourspot and thinking "why is this so weak?" Sweetspot is much better, so there's that.

@ Xygonn Xygonn I didn't mention the weight and floatiness thing because she's always been like that as one of her traits iirc. The screw attack is definitely better. Dair spike off of the stage into Up-B is brutal if they fail to tech.
F-Smash is good, I just wish its sourspot was just a bit stronger to even out more of her KO issues. She can't depend solely on her risky Up-B, avoidable Charge Shot, sweetspot bair and hard-to-spike-with dair every time. She needs one kill move that's always reliable.
yeah her jab really is trouble some but its also a move you can't simple say no to using either you just need it despite how useless it can be at times. (fun note though it links properly if u managed to stuff your opponent in the air.)
Also bair is increadbly kill reliable.

Last edited:

irokex13

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Irokex21

I've been using Robin for a decent amount of time and I feel comfortable to use him in the weekly tournament that my area runs. I wanted to mention that it's not necessarily a bad idea to throw out an arcfire to force your opponent to respect your space. Even if the move does not connect with them, they now have to avoid the flame pillar by either waiting (giving you time to charge your Thunder tome), rolling past it (punishable with a tilt/smash/grab), or jumping over it (punishable with a LS aerial). However, do keep in mind that arcfire has a lot of ending lag. It all comes down to knowing the distance you can use the attack without the opponent bein able to enter Robin's "dead zone" before you can react.

Also, when you run out of any tome, a lot of people try to bum rush you, thinking that you are temporarily defenseless. One major way to solve that issue is to grab the book/sword. They do 18%/14% on hit respectively and are both kill moves. The moment you grab these, your opponent will have to respect the power of these items, often waiting and shielding to bait the throw. While they are trying to avoid the items, you are still regenerating your tomes/sword.

I do agree with you that players should not recklessly waste their ammunition, but as long as you can manage your resources correctly and make proper use of the discarded items, Robin can be a bit more aggressive with his/her attacks.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
So like why doesn't anyone talk about Marthcina's god tiered edgeguarding/ledge game?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
So like why doesn't anyone talk about Marthcina's god tiered edgeguarding/ledge game?
This. One of their best traits currently. I think it's because their tools to actually get opponents offstage, like aerial pressure, have been nerfed. Their neutral game is problematic and they can't approach easily or force approaches, so the edgeguarding is kind of bittersweet. They'd be godlike in doubles when paired with a character with the opposite problem, like maybe dr. Mario or greninja.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
This. One of their best traits currently. I think it's because their tools to actually get opponents offstage, like aerial pressure, have been nerfed. Their neutral game is problematic and they can't approach easily or force approaches, so the edgeguarding is kind of bittersweet. They'd be godlike in doubles when paired with a character with the opposite problem, like maybe dr. Mario or greninja.
Little Mac?

It has always been one of her traits, but in a game where Hoo Hah! gets a lot of play, it's nice to have a character that is safe from it starting at relatively low percents. Also, it's pretty easy to DI out of ZSS up b.

I think her gimp game is pretty good. Fair is lingering and pretty fast to come out. Nair has a pretty flat launch angle. Zair isn't bad and will catch people less familiar with the matchup in a lot of instances. Even bomb has use as an edgeguard technique if the character is pretty linear in recovery options (falcon, link, duck hunt...). It can be used to set up Utilt or Fsmash. I agree she has kinda limited kill options compared to characters with good dsmash and usmash.

She has a great get up game with instant ledge wall jump as a real get up option that can use a bair. Alternatively a let go -> jump -> Zair (or even CS) are options to punish someone waiting in the "safe" zone just beyond a get up attack that can punish all the options of some characters.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You're forgetting the part where doubles is literally 100% about team attack shenanigans.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I feel like Nario is going to have a dozen tags from this thread alone by the time he gets to it. :laugh:

Marcina do really well offstage; it's the main reason I don't think they're bottom tier. Fair and Bair singlehandedly make so many people have to respect you offstage, tis craaazy.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I thought my synopsis on Samus was enough, but hey we're talking about her again.

I want to reiterate that Samus' B-air is one of the strongest in the game. It kills Mario @116% in the middle of FD (Only a small number of B-airs does this). The sweetspot is at her foot. Everywhere else gives the sourspot. If a Samus player can land this consistently off-stage then she wins the game. It would be nice if the sourspot didn't exist, but it is what it is.

Samus can combo, and she has really reliable shield damage. Super Missiles killing your shield is a great way to get opponents to be really scared of Charged Shot. U-air > Up-B is a true block-string and no character in the game can fully block it because Up-B has major bonus shield damage.

I've been playing more of Samus lately and I've fell in love with her again. She's fun to use and even though she's pretty much terribad against the Top tiers in the current meta, I feel her merits as a secondary character (not a character to use consistently but a character to change the pace of a match) will keep her relevant.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I noticed you really have to watch your shield against samus. Her down b actually does a bit of chip to shield and could possibly break it. The one thing I am afraid of is her back air.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'm the only one that thinks the time for the first official tier list to be done is now ?
Now we had one APEX (Major tournament), results from many camps, and 427 pages of impressions.
All characters boards is slowly building their "MU chart".

I know that a tier list build by the community now will be "wrong" very soon.
It's a bit early and will be inconsistent, and it will be updated in months...
But I don't think waiting any longer will be good.We need something "officially wrong" to discuss characters potential.

----------------
(If it shouldn't be there, forgive me. But I don't found any better place.)

Also, I come here to ask this too... Do you think Cap.Falcon have the tools to be viable?
I mean, without a secundary character for his bad MU's, he is a solid choice ?
I have 2 friends who wants to main him, but both are struggling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom