• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Viran

Smash Lord
ZSS' Paralyzer gets eaten by Fireballs, so ZSS has to approach. And Luigi's playsytle is leaning more on punishing to approach since his approach sucks. And I do believe he combos ZSS fairly hard too, and ZSS is light, Luigi can kill her easily. And most ZSS players I face lurks around for grabs, she whiffs a grab = She is either getting comboed or dead. Any ZSS mains can correct me?
I don't know to much about this MU but I saw that a SH paralyzer shot right above the ground can go over fireballs and hit luigi. I'm not sure if it can hit him during the end lag of it. ZSS is light and and has a kind of average fall speed. luigi's moves knock her far because she's light and down special is a good combo breaker with it's invincibilty. I would say she is pretty good at getting out of disadvantage.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I had problems with Falco because I kept getting my reflected Fireballs getting thrown to my face lol.

That said, I do believe Luigi's frame data is better. F3 N-air, F5 U-air, F6 Bair, F7 F-air and F10 D-air. And also F2 jabs, F4 DA, F6(?) tilts, F12 F-smash, F6 U-smash and D-smash, and I don't remember grabs.

I don't think Luigi outranges Falco. Luigi's attacks doesn't seem to stretch his limbs, just like Falco, unlike the Hoo Hah spider monkey we know...

@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG How does Falco walls Luigi? I do believe you can do a running Cyclone and get away with Cyclone's mobility because Falco isn't fast.
Don't spam projectiles against a character with a reflect even if it's not lasting. You can condition them to reflect so you can punish, but getting predictable pretty much means they can reflect, take advantage of hit stun, and punish. Yoshi's Egg Throw is a double edged sword against a character who can reflect, especially Falco whose Reflector is both fast and has range. Reflecting the egg not only means it's gone, but if it hits Yoshi back, especially if Falco can use Reflector to reflect the egg back at pointblank, then Falco can definitely abuse the double hit stun or just the egg's knockback. The only characters who can get away from stuff like this are ones who can charge and keep or who can wall out characters with short-lasting reflectors. Pikachu's fast enough that Thunder Jolt won't do much and Fox's Blaster just asks for punishment if you reflect and he just runs up to capitalize on your end lag. Samus's Charge Shot and Lucario's Aura Sphere can end the match in either way if whoever gets the right read. Falco can pointblank reflect it or Samus/Lucario can bait a reflect and shoot during the recovery frames.

Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi's limbs get bigger on certain attacks. Whether or not it affects their hitboxes, I don't know, but I think they do even if it's slightly. Here's the thing, Luigi's Bair will have more range because Luigi can run up quickly and launch it along with how the attack works since Luigi is almost parallel to the ground. Falco's already slow on the ground and in the air making his Bair have shorter range not only in movement, but also because he just sticks his leg out. His original Bair would have been much safer since it had a front hitbox and Wolf could abuse his Bair like how Ike can abuse his Bair because of their air speed. RAR Bair was Wolf's game in Brawl.

Unless Luigi uses (aerial) Luigi Cyclone to just destroy and out-prioritize everything, Falco's Ftilt and Dtilt have really good range, so Falco can sort of play a Ganondorf spacing game. For one, Falco's Ftilt is just a straight kick while Fox does a roundhouse and along with their different heights, Falco's Ftilt will probably beat Fox's if spaced correctly; they come out at the same frame: 6. I think this is similar to Ganondorf and Captain Falcon. So, he can't exactly wall out Luigi, but he can stop Luigi in his tracks over and over.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
You can't judge Luigi based on his neutral. His neutral is good, but not great, but the reason that most characters flat out lose to him is because of his advantage and disadvantage vs. theirs.

Luigi vs. zoners is an exercise in patience, and it's an annoying exercise. I think that he beats most zoners or goes even with them, but it just takes so long. The matches tend to go to time because zoners don't want to approach Luigi at all. It's like Ice Climbers vs. X in Brawl, where X is anyone except for Snake, MK, or another Ice Climbers (and often it would still be like that with some MKs).

When you have a character who has too much offensive potence (as in, huge reward for a single hit), you get camping situations.

What would be really cool is if Luigi had Quick Attack, then you would see

TriTails

Smash Lord
Yeah. I know Falco's frame data is pretty good as well.

Cyclone is merely an option. Luigi can do more than that to harrass Falco up bad.

@ David Viran David Viran I do believe Luigi can just crawl under it, or just Fireball it again, since his Fireballs float.

And I do believe F-air chaingrab works on ZSS, though haven't tested yet. Even then her tall frame is good for combos.

I don't think Luigi loses to ZSS at all. Maybe even or something like that. Not sure if Flip Jump can get out of his combos though. Never experienced it.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord

Cyclone is merely an option. Luigi can do more than that to harrass Falco up bad.

@ David Viran David Viran I do believe Luigi can just crawl under it, or just Fireball it again, since his Fireballs float.

And I do believe F-air chaingrab works on ZSS, though haven't tested yet. Even then her tall frame is good for combos.

I don't think Luigi loses to ZSS at all. Maybe even or something like that.
I was saying that it might hit luigi if he tries fireball to clank with paralyzer but I haven't tested to see if he can get out of the endlag in time. I haven't seen luigi do the fair chaingrab on a zss in high level yet and when zss is in tumble she becomes alot smaller of a target. ZSS has done well against luigi in high level play from what I've seen, nairo beat jmiller during apex with zss.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

I don't think Luigi loses to ZSS at all. Maybe even or something like that. Not sure if Flip Jump can get out of his combos though. Never experienced it.
Like misfires? I fought probably the luckiest ******* in the world yesterday who got 3-4 9 Judges in a match and one of them landed with the other match getting like 2-3 9 Judges. and 2 misfired Luigi Missiles and one of them landed because I just did not expect that kind of BS luck. Whenever I play as Mr. Game & Watch or Luigi, none of that crap happens to me. Not to mention getting meteored by Triple D's ledge attack or caught 4 times by Nosferatu because the world hates me and the internet likes to see me suffer.

I can't wait for another RNG, luck-based, chance-based BS to destroy me. Oh, wait, I haven't gotten those drops in the Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, SSB4, and other games because of the stupid drop rates.

Anyway, yeah, misfires... Not fun.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I feel like a lot of people overrate the use of *most* reflectors for actual reflecting against *most* projectiles. The reward for reflecting things like Firballs, Lasers, Slingshots, Pellets, and the like is just not that great for the risk involved. Against projectiles like Charge Shot or Gyroid or Tree they will have the nichefor being usedbut otherwise your better off with Power/Perfect Shielding or just flat out avoiding them because it is *generally* safer.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You can't judge Luigi based on his neutral. His neutral is good, but not great, but the reason that most characters flat out lose to him is because of his advantage and disadvantage vs. theirs.

Luigi vs. zoners is an exercise in patience, and it's an annoying exercise. I think that he beats most zoners or goes even with them, but it just takes so long. The matches tend to go to time because zoners don't want to approach Luigi at all. It's like Ice Climbers vs. X in Brawl, where X is anyone except for Snake, MK, or another Ice Climbers (and often it would still be like that with some MKs).

When you have a character who has too much offensive potence (as in, huge reward for a single hit), you get camping situations.

What would be really cool is if Luigi had Quick Attack, then you would see
But to be fair, in high level fighting games, isn't conservative play just generally speaking the best option?

Personally me, I don't think Luigi's huge reward alone is a problem. What really makes him an issue is how he also has a strong zoning projectile that sorta has too few downsides. His projectile is what makes him hard for several characters to approach easily, which combined with his reward gives him a very polarizing gameplan.

I feel like a lot of people overrate the use of *most* reflectors for actual reflecting against *most* projectiles. The reward for reflecting things like Firballs, Lasers, Slingshots, Pellets, and the like is just not that great for the risk involved. Against projectiles like Charge Shot or Gyroid or Tree they will have the nichefor being usedbut otherwise your better off with Power/Perfect Shielding or just flat out avoiding them because it is *generally* safer.
Reflecting Luigi's Fireball can do like what 10 damage? That ain't bad especially since it's damage that isn't on your stale moves counter.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I use Falco's Reflector more so for spacing and the natural 5% damage it gives. Palutena's Reflect Barrier, Zelda's Phantom Slash, and the Pit's Guardian Orbitars can gimp out recoveries like Ike's Aether if he tries to recover low. Zelda's Nayru's Love can be used for damage and I guess, approaches, with love jumping. Fox can still stall his fall a bit with Reflector, Ness's PK Magnet is more of a read thing that can change the battle if he absorbs say, a Charge Shot, and (Dr.) Mario's Cape still gimps, especially with the Gust Cape.

It's like what IsmaR said about reflects not being automatic wins or shutdowns against Samus and other projectile-based characters. Sure, it limits their options and they can't spam as much, but that means they have to play smarter and sometimes, they're smarter than you.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
@ David Viran David Viran Luigi's Fireballs have really low end lag, so I think he can. Plus, his Fireballs has longer range (I think) and don't have to be charged.

More like no Luigis in high level play uses chaingrabs at all. Never seen anyone does it aside from Boss doing it by accident.

Plus, Luigi's damage output is big, and he hits smaller characters just fine because he is also short.

@ Ffamran Ffamran Luigi can harrass Falco with spaced B-airs or F-airs. And if he doesn't expect it, dash attack (Not exactly a joke option, but lol). PP U-tilts maybe works too.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I use Falco's Reflector more so for spacing and the natural 5% damage it gives. Palutena's Reflect Barrier, Zelda's Phantom Slash, and the Pit's Guardian Orbitars can gimp out recoveries like Ike's Aether if he tries to recover low. Zelda's Nayru's Love can be used for damage and I guess, approaches, with love jumping. Fox can still stall his fall a bit with Reflector, Ness's PK Magnet is more of a read thing that can change the battle if he absorbs say, a Charge Shot, and (Dr.) Mario's Cape still gimps, especially with the Gust Cape.
That has nothing to do with what I said really. I was specifically talking about how I've seen quite a few people talk about using reflectors as a way of reflecting against projectiles in general when it really isn't that simple. Reflector moves having other properties then just reflecting has no real basis to what I was talking about because I was specifically talking only about reflecting.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That has nothing to do with what I said really. I was specifically talking about how I've seen quite a few people talk about using reflectors as a way of reflecting against projectiles in general when it really isn't that simple. Reflector moves having other properties then just reflecting has no real basis to what I was talking about because I was specifically talking only about reflecting.
I was more of giving out examples of what reflects can do and how they're more than just reflects. And I forgot to mention, but edited in that reflects don't invalidate a character's moveset. Mega Man can still do well against characters with reflects, but he can't spam which I don't think he can well. Mega Man just needs to play smart.

Edit: Found the ledge attack meteor for anyone interested. Thank @Lavani for the gif.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
@ David Viran David Viran Luigi's Fireballs have really low end lag, so I think he can. Plus, his Fireballs has longer range (I think) and don't have to be charged.

More like no Luigis in high level play uses chaingrabs at all. Never seen anyone does it aside from Boss doing it by accident.

Plus, Luigi's damage output is big, and he hits smaller characters just fine because he is also short.
Yeah I wasn't so sure about th e paralyzer thing anyway but I think a spaced SH nair works very well against luigi and his fireballs.

Why don't high level luigi players do the fair chaingrab?

ZSS is no slouch with racking up damage either. Her garanteed damage isn't as good as luigi's but she is better at keeping people in the disadvatage because of her mobilty and frame traps. She can avoid luigi's counter nair if the zss player can space there hits correctly. I brought up her tumble animation because you said her taller frame made her easier to combo and I was saying she becomes a smaller target when getting hit. I don't think zss loses this MU but I guess I can see even right now until I learn the MU better.

Last edited:

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
"I tried so hard, and got so far, and in the end it didnt even matter."

Thats pikachu's theme song vs early KOers and heavy hitters. Pikachu is pretty good at escaping combos and pressure so punishment isnt generally that bad against combo characters. Not so against powerhouses, sometimes it feels like you put in so much work only to get wafted or ganon backaired or little macs everything in the wrong place at the wrong time and die.
I know the feeling. It almost feels like if they just get that one lucky hit the match is over

TriTails

Smash Lord
Maybe because high level Luigis rarely get a chance to do so?

Well, can Flip Jump get outta combos? I know ZSS can rack up damage well, too. Thing is, how she can get a grab (Which I believe to be a door to U-air juggles) or paralyze Luigi (Which leads to smashes). Even with that mobility, Fireballs are annoyance, and getting hit deals 6%. Approaching from above gets trumped by invincible U-smash, and Cyclone is also there. Luigi has a lot of tools in his diposal that makes me don't believe he can be disadvantaged against ZSS, and his burst damage and KO options are nothing to swat about.

I think this MU is even... but maybe that is just me.

And pretty sure Flip Jump can be baited for a free U-smash, considering that it is quite unmobile after the flip.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Maybe because high level Luigis rarely get a chance to do so?

Well, can Flip Jump get outta combos? I know ZSS can rack up damage well, too. Thing is, how she can get a grab (Which I believe to be a door to U-air juggles) or paralyze Luigi (Which leads to smashes). Even with that mobility, Fireballs are annoyance, and getting hit deals 6%. Approaching from above gets trumped by invincible U-smash, and Cyclone is also there. Luigi has a lot of tools in his diposal that makes me don't believe he can be disadvantaged against ZSS, and his burst damage and KO options are nothing to swat about.

I think this MU is even... but maybe that is just me.

And pretty sure Flip Jump can be baited for a free U-smash, considering that it is quite unmobile after the flip.
Yes flip jump is basically a better airdodge that instantly changes your velocity left or right. ZSS is all about conditioning her oppenent and getting read to put her oppenent into the disadvantage and zss's nair flat out out ranges anything luigi has. He has to sheild it and he can't punish it if well spaced not even with a PS. Only luigi's head is invincible during usmash. Nair has very good follow ups and can lead into uair juggles off of hit confirm. No it is not a free usmash if the zss does flip jump she may have to go in the same direction as she started in but she can almost instantly halt and gain momentum during flip jump. Also the kick off of flip jump is very very disjointed and can trade or win against almost any move in the game.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Who we need to talk about :4shulk::4pacman::4robinm::4robinf::4olimar::4alph::4lucario::4megaman::4duckhunt::4bowserjr:out of these I only use pacs shulk luc and oli been practicing dh trio and bowj

who we discuss but don't think theres enough potential to make serious gamechangers for them:4link::4tlink::4fox::4falco::4sonic::4samus::4darkpit::4pit::4peach::4megaman::4ness::4gaw: out of these I only use toon lunk and lank, ive tried practicing galco but he feels a bit clunky so I've been practicing fox, mega I've tried and am still trying to use him good hard to kill with him its hard for me though and not sure about the others
On this when I said who dont have game changers I meant there isn't much that will change in their game plan soon and make them more viable

And the ones we need to talk about we barely say anything about them even though we know they are viable and possibly good characters or have potential and @ Road Death Wheel Road Death Wheel thank you for pointing out I put lucario in the wrong spot

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
On this when I said who dont have game changers I meant there isn't much that will change in their game plan soon and make them more viable

And the ones we need to talk about we barely say anything about them even though we know they are viable and possibly good characters or have potential and @ Road Death Wheel Road Death Wheel thank you for pointing out I put lucario in the wrong spot
I think those characters need more development. Right now characters like peach are very underused so we can't really say what potential she has yet.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
#strongdongcyclone

seriously dong cyclone is one of those moves that can push a character 10 spots up a tier list, its so good

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I can't believe how much traction customs gained in the past week. Every time I check Twitch there are multiple popular streamers experimenting with custom moves. It's making me really giddy...

etecoon

Smash Hero
Dk will put him in place when customs arrive.
I haven't unlocked many of these, are Diddy's customs bad, is he just the one character that doesn't get way better with customs apparently? Because right now he's running this game based mostly on the strength of his normals and basic character traits, his neutral and up B especially are pretty average, aside from the huge advantage of having a mobility special+command grab/attack mixup in one I'd say Donkey Kong already has better specials than Diddy

Diddy Kong will remain "pretty good" even if other characters get more out of customs than he does, he's just really solid at basically everything as it is

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Nah we got lanky kong with those long ranged hoo hahs coming in.
Lanky Kong with stretchy limbs... No. Hell no.

Anyway, this just popped into my head because the Falco boards just started the Link MU discussion, but how useful are Link and Toon Link's shields for blocking projectiles? They can't just stand there, but they can use their shields from time to time to negate some damage.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Can toon link dash dance? I think stopping periodically while falco is throwing projectiles would be helpful for toon link.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Link and toon links shield can take almost all projectiles including like samus or lucarios fully charged energy atks the as long as it connects with the shields and most of megamans attacks I know theres somethings it doesn't stop like flame breath like boswers and charz it also can't stop megas leaf ring, not sure about on contact explosives like the bomb feom toonlink I think something like that bounces off like if you were to block

Edit: can someone give me a link to a good twitch channel for sm4sh where they're doing customs

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Lanky Kong with stretchy limbs... No. Hell no.

Anyway, this just popped into my head because the Falco boards just started the Link MU discussion, but how useful are Link and Toon Link's shields for blocking projectiles? They can't just stand there, but they can use their shields from time to time to negate some damage.
its a bad idea from my expierience the clank lag can cause some serious openings. its almost 100% better to shield.
@ E etecoon its not that diddy's customs suck persay. they just don't make him better.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
its a bad idea from my expierience the clank lag can cause some serious openings. its almost 100% better to shield
Which shield? :smirk:

All right, but it could be useful in some situations which I can't think of, but Fox can exploit it by shooting, having them use Link's Hylian and Toon Link's Hero's Shield, and making them fall off the ledge since they feel knockback from shielding for whatever reason.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I can't believe how much traction customs gained in the past week. Every time I check Twitch there are multiple popular streamers experimenting with custom moves. It's making me really giddy...
I'll admit I was one of the Debbie Downers predicting that Apex would set the (non-customs) standard and that everyone else would basically be sheep. I'll further admit that I was apparently wrong, much to my pleasure. With any luck they'll gain enough traction to be allowed at EVO, although that's admittedly a bit of a lofty goal. (Or maybe not, Wizard said that they were a possibility given AA's project.)
I haven't unlocked many of these, are Diddy's customs bad, is he just the one character that doesn't get way better with customs apparently? Because right now he's running this game based mostly on the strength of his normals and basic character traits, his neutral and up B especially are pretty average, aside from the huge advantage of having a mobility special+command grab/attack mixup in one I'd say Donkey Kong already has better specials than Diddy

Diddy Kong will remain "pretty good" even if other characters get more out of customs than he does, he's just really solid at basically everything as it is
The only one really worth considering compared to his defaults is Battering Banana Peel, and it can't lead to grab followups. That said, I'm sure there are several characters that would kill to have any of his side or down special options, because they're still pretty good. It's just that his default Monkey Flip and Banana Peel are so freaking amazing there's no point to switching them out.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Alright, has everyone noticed Diddys incorporating d-tilts WAY more into their gameplan in the past few weeks? Usually happens right after a roll as a LIGHTNING-fast stuff + setup into HA (what doesn't setup into that move?).

I knew this would happen.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Alright, has everyone noticed Diddys incorporating d-tilts WAY more into their gameplan in the past few weeks? Usually happens right after a roll as a LIGHTNING-fast stuff + setup into HA (what doesn't setup into that move?).

Didn't this also happen with Fox's Jab repeat? It's kind of easy to do if you have a good rhythm.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

Diddy players are copying Zero. Monkey see, Monkey do.

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
My list was told to be published here as it was created as a new thread before.
So, here it is.

This is my (opinionated) list on the top 4 best characters in SSB4 for Wii U/3DS. In my list, I will consider a character's overall performance in battle, and not just one specific ability he/she may have (for example, Ganondorf would not be added simply due to his attack power, or Sonic primarily due to his speed). This list will include a character's aerials, recovery, and other statistics that make them valuable during competitive play.
Please note: In order to avoid making this another infamous tier list consisting of all characters, only four characters will be present, along with honorable mentions. They will not be ranked in any specified order. Again, this is not a tier list.

:4jigglypuff:Jigglypuff

A lot of people, at first glance, don't use the Puff during competitive play due to his (her?) weak appearance. Although Jigglypuff doesn't look too menacing, he can often end up taking quite a beating from opponents, and perform some punishes that will leave your opponent pretty frustrated. If Jigglypuff is not used correctly, it usually will not be much of a challenge for an opponent to rack up damage and send this innocent guy flying. Jigglypuff can leave himself wide open for opponents if his techniques are not executed superbly. On the other hand, his quick but powerful aerials can knock opponents with inferior recoveries offstage in no time flat.
Aerials

This one is a little tricky for Jigglypuff. Depending on the weight and damage % of your opponent, Jigglypuff's aerial combos are a hit-or-miss type of situation. If you catch an opponent just right with his neutral-air and forward-air attacks (and with precise timing), Jigglypuff can literally sweep an opponent of their feet and offstage, consisting of neutral-air and forward-air attacks. Setting up this aerial combo just right takes practice, as it is difficult to always be able to juggle a foe offstage without them dodging or retaliating. Jigglypuff's down-air is useful for quickly dealing some damage to an unsuspecting opponent, but it should not be one's primary attack. His back-air is moderately slow, but is helpful for punishing an opponent at high percentages while they are attempting to recover in mid-air.
Recovery
Jigglypuff's recovery is either going to be extremely helpful, or be the reason you get knocked-out in battle. Unlike other characters, Jigglypuff's up-special (Sing) is not a good form of recovery. In fact, it does not get Jigglypuff anywhere except KOed. So how do we make a decent recover with this guy? Using his jump. Yep, without his ability to constantly jump in air, the Puff would be an utter failure when trying to get back onstage *cough* Little Mac *cough*. When recovering from below the stage, it's a good idea to mash the jump button and ascend to ledge. Remember, Jiggly's side-special can steadily get him back to stage as well.
Other Information
Since Jigglypuff's smash-attacks are not too reliable (as they leave him vulnerable for attack), using Sing and Rest is an excellent but risky way to instantly kill opponents. Before considering this technique, make sure your opponent is at least at 80% damage, or else this could end up backfiring. When your opponent is vulnerable, use Sing next to them to put them to sleep. Know that this attack is very easy to avoid, so be certain you can strike your target. When Jiggly finishes singing, walk into your opponent and perform Rest. If executed correctly, your opponent should be blasted off stage. Note that if any of these steps are done incorrectly, an opponent as a wide-open opportunity to punish you offstage. As a tip, Jigglypuff can crouch under many attacks and projectiles!

:4yoshi:Yoshi
Yoshi can inflict some devastating attacks on his opponents. Really. Just one attack can rack up a staggering 30% damage if done correctly. If you think about it, that's about 1/4 the damage needed to easily knock an opponent offstage with a smash-attack. Yoshi in Brawl wasn't quite as dominant as he is now in SSB4, so he certainly made a huge comeback. He is definitely someone to seriously consider using as a main, as he makes opponents aware of his potential wary at all times.
Aerials

Yoshi's aerials are what make him so powerful. His down-air attack is going to be his primary move to inflict some serious damage, about 30%. Note that in order to damage your opponent to such a high percentage, you must be pretty accurate with your low jumping. If you are wondering what "low jumping" is, although it's pretty self-explanatory, it's basically just more of a hop than a jump. In order to successfully execute Yoshi's down-air, perform a low jump by quickly tapping the jump button rather than holding it. For any character, their jump will be shortened, which sets one up for aerial combos. Low jump with Yoshi, and start toward your opponent. Before making contact, perform the down-air and fall into the target. If done correctly, your opponent will have no escape from this move. If you miss, Yoshi will hit the ground and take some time to get back up, so try to be accurate. His forward-smash can also be used with a low jump, but better used as a Meteor Smash. The perk of this move is that even if you do not sweet-spot the target for a Meteor Smash, the attack still provides some strong knock-back at high percentages. Finally, be sure to use Yoshi's back-air as a kill move if the opportunity arises. If you strike an opponent with Yoshi's tail three times in succession, there''s a pretty good chance that the third blow could KO the foe. Whew, that was quite a bit for aerials.
Recovery

To make this short and sweet, Yoshi's up-special doesn't get him very far (much like Jigglypuff). Although it does provide a little bounce in mid-air, just jumping will allow him to flutter up to the stage from most points in the battlefield. Yoshi's flutter is usually successful, unless an opponent manages to interrupt it and knock you backward.
Other Information
Make sure you take advantage of Yoshi's up-special (the egg throw move). At first this move may be seemingly useless, but practicing the trajectory and distance at which you throw your eggs could turn the entire game around. While an opponent is recovering, striking them with an egg will cause them to stagger/flinch. Continue belting out more egg throws while an opponent is at a distance to rack up some damage, as each egg can do about 5% damage if done successfully. Another good trick to use with Yoshi is his down-special. If one makes contact with an opponent while Yoshi bounces upward, they will be knocked backward and set up to be struck by Yoshi falling downward.

:4lucario:Lucario
Lucario is a very strong opponent. Not just in Smash Bros., but in other games as well. In Brawl, he was a mediocre character at best. Sure, his Aura Sphere could definitely provide knock-back at high percentages, he could deliver a couple combos, but he didn't give me that "wow, this is a good character" impression like he does in SSB4. Lucario now brings something new to the table that many characters don't. When Lucario is in peril, his aura based moves (pretty much all of them) are buffed, or made significantly stronger. When he reaches high percentages, his Aura Sphere grows larger, his attacks belt out exceptional damage and knock-back, and is recovery is just incredible.
Aerials

Lucario's aerials can be very useful in battle from the very get-go. A good way to get some damage inflicted on your opponents is low jumping and immediately performing down-air. Lucario's feet will double-kick the opponent and send them away from you. In the middle to end of the battle this is the most useful, because this move provides pretty decent knock-back and gives you some time to slightly prepare an Aura Sphere, or strike the opponent while they are down. What makes this attack so helpful in battle is that it temporarily stops Lucario's fall in air. This aerial can be used to fake out an opponent when above them. Other than this, Lucario's aerials are not phenomenal. His forward-air can be used consecutively in air when the target is at low percentages to deal decent damage and first, but later in battle they are not very reliable.
Recovery
To put it simply, Lucario's recovery is probably the best in the entire game in certain situations. When he is at low percentages, his up-special does not travel very far, but still a fair distance. Now, when Lucario is at high percentages (90%+), good luck getting him offstage. His recovery at this point can easily fling him back onstage from any point in the battlefield. Not only this, but his movement can be controlled. Therefor, one can aim the direction they want Lucario to fly through the air, and change direction in the process. This is extremely applicable when he is below the stage and wants to grab a ledge, as he can curve his recovery to ensure he stays in battle. Let's not forget that his recovery can also damage foes! Make sure you use this technique wisely, as if you slide back onto stage, it takes almost two seconds to gain control of Lucario and opponents will have an opportunity to attack.
Other Information
Sometimes it's difficult to kill an opponent with Lucario due to the slowness of his smash-attacks (which make them predictable), and the lag provided afterward. When I use Lucario, my primary kill move is his side-special. His side-special is not effective if he does not grab the opponent in the beginning when attempting this move. If you do successfully grab them, Lucario will punish them and send them offstage at high percentages.

:4sheik:Sheik
Lastly, Sheik. For the sake of argument, Sheik will be referred to as a female, although her gender is still not certain. Sheik has always been nefarious in competitive play for her excellent aerials and the ability to confuse her opponents. Her useless side-special attack in Melee was replaced with a more useful component that can be used as a kill move. Sheik's overall performances in SSB4 make her one of the best characters to use in battle, although she is difficult to get the hang of. Combing grabs, quick and unexpected aerials, low jumps, and technical moves, and the formidable Bouncing Fish, Sheik can achieve victory if used correctly.
Aerials

Oh boy, where to start? Sheik displays some of the most consistent aerials all around of any character playable in the game. By grabbing opponents and throwing them, Sheik can almost always follow up with devastating aerial combos that are almost unavoidable. Her forward-air attack is going to be one of her main sources of racking up damage to take out her enemies. By low jumping and attacking with forward-air, damage can quickly be dealt with little lag when landing. Sheik's down-air is only useful in specific situations, so it is best to be used wisely and not be spammed. It has lag upon hitting the ground, so opponents can punish. This moves main use is when faking out an opponent when falling toward them in air. This move does have Meteor Smash potential, but is difficult to pull off. Sheik's back-air can be used as a kill move when the target is at fairly high percentages, and at low percentages, can be used to juggle the opponent.
Recovery
Sheik's recovery is great on its own, but it can also be used as a kill move during its initial explosion. Jumping toward an opponent offstage and performing her up-special will cause her to vanish, leaving an explosion that can kill unsuspecting foes. Her recovery is also useful on the ground, where holding down on the control stick during the move will allow Sheik to attack the enemy while vanishing, then reappear in the same place. Vanish is also helpful for edge guarding. If an opponent is hanging on a ledge for a long time, running to the edge of the stage and performing her up-special will blast them off the ledge.
Other Information
Sheik has an arsenal of tricks to use. Her neutral-special can charge up some lightning-quick needles when shot, totaling a fair amount of 7%. Sheik's side-special, Burst Grenade, can hit and kill enemies attempting to recover. The vortex created when a Burst Grenade is beginning to explode can suck in enemies, so characters with poor recovery can be pulled away from the stage and KOed. One move to be used primarily during early battle is Sheik's side-attack, which is a fast kick that can juggle opponents, and set her up for an aerial strike.

Honorable Mentions (in no specified order)
:4sonic:Sonic

+ Consistent aerials
+ Decent recovery (and it damages foes)
+ Very fast
- Doesn't have much kill potential
- Attacks generally do minimal damage

:4littlemac:Little Mac
+ Quick, strong attacks
+ Can KO opponents at low percentages
+ Has a KO move when meeting certain circumstances
- Laughable recovery
- Can't create many combos

:4zss:Zero-Suit Samus
+ Neutral special can paralyze enemies
+ Down-special can Meteor Smash
+ Grab can latch on to ledges from absurd distances
- Recovery isn't reliable

:4fox:Fox
+ Quick attacker
+ Very strong combos and smash-attacks
+ Neutral special will drive opponents insane
- Sounds like an old man

:4villager:Villager
+ Excellent recovery, both up-special and side-special
+ Down-special creates a devastating attack
+ Can pocket powerful projectiles
- Difficult to create combo with
- Gimmicky moves can be hard to manage

:rosalina:Rosalina & Luma
+ Can create powerful combos with Luma
+ Paired with Luma, smash-attacks do high damage
+ Down-special can steal projectiles
- Limited aerial combos
- Recovery is very difficult to control
- Luma can be lost, halving attack power

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
You've already said this, please attempt to justify your statements next time because "I don't like X" is not a complete post.
1.) Customs-on is an acknowledgement that the core roster isn't enough. It's an explicit admittance that the core roster of 50 characters isn't good enough and not interesting enough. It de-legitimizes the game. This is a problem because

2.) Customized gameplay is bad for the long-term health of the community. Smash isn't Skyrim; Melee didn't need mods. Project M was an acknowledgement that Brawl isn't a very good game, that gameplay needed to be spiced up, and now is fighting to remain in tournaments and has faced numerous setbacks this year. Smash has always struggled for relevancy; I don't think customs are going to be welcoming to outsiders, because

3.) There isn't in-game support for customs. Customs are not permitted when playing "With Anyone" and For Glory does not allow for customs. This is probably the biggest reason I am opposed to customs. The next biggest would be that

4.) Permutations of characters will number in the thousands. It's not simply a question of how many new moves would come into the game. It's that there would be an enormous number of permutations of movesets. You wouldn't just be preparing for Mario, you'd be preparing for twenty Marios, the one withh Fast Fireball and Shocking Cape, and the one with Shocking Cape and Scalding Fludd, and the one with customs on in every slot, etc. The roster is 50 (51? I always mix it up) and I believe there would be thousands of different possible character loadouts, but I haven't done the math, and I admittedly and am not sure exactly how many custom moves in total there are. Because of how many loadouts there would be,

5.) Extremely defensive play would become the norm. Imagine a third jump was added to Melee. Everything else remains the same, but now there is a third jump. Wouldn't that change everything? Because it wouldn't just be the single extra move that would matter, it would be how it would interact with other moves, with Fox's upair and Falco's dair and Ganondorf's bair and on and on and on. Of course. You already know this. So why do I have to explain that turning customs on would create for an unpredictable environment? When every opponent is a special little snowflake, defensive play is rewarded the most, and the campers stand victorious.

6.) The game will not be balanced. It took just one tiny little interaction - Diddy's down-throw to upair - to cause the community to scream that the game was broken and needed patching to balance. And the core roster was extensively tested for balance! And now you're going to dump a massive additional movepool on the game and assume everything will be okey-dokey? When that movepool was never integrated with the core game, can only be used under special circumstances, and in fact requires unlocking? Kay...

I don't know if anyone watched Tourney Locator's Shockwave tournament last night, but there was an incredible amount of derping around, weird deaths, and cheese, and an air of "WTF was that?" dominated the stream. I guarantee customs are a turnoff to the tournament scene, which is why I don't support customs-on in tournaments.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
three customs for each special.
four specials.
*draw a little diagram in MS Paint*
81 combinations per character.
51 characters.
1377 combinations.
Only one "thousand"...

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
1.377 is more than one thousand, hence thousands. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that was the total. Kind of proves my point, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom