• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Diddy wins. OP. Ban plz.

Pretty good stuff. Same stuff it's been. Diddy, Sanic, ZSS, Rosa. I just now noticed that I only saw Sheik once all day. (I woke up late) She just didn't cut it for anyone or?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I try to catch as much streams as i can but it can be trouble some when getting supplies to get to tournys.
Iv found my characters i use and ill continue to put my best effort into it. i personnaly would like to think that im no lesser than another for making this decision though.

@AlMoStLeNdAry

so ur ideology to make me give up what i like doing,to do something i dont like doing? perfect.
Change what you like.....all you need is to like a top tier......then you're giving up what you like for something you like and increases your chances of winning.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Because if bouncing fish activates on something (so any bounce, even air dodges it sometimes does), it comes back. If she gets hit, it comes back.
ZSS flip jump clearly loses to shields in all scenarios and she can only use it once per landing on the ground or ledge grab.

ZSS has auto cancels on Flip Jump, so platform stages can help her in such a way that the move may seem to be as good as Bouncing Fish in safety. But no way is it remotely as good as bouncing fish, holy crap lol. That moves priority and I'm pretty sure it's invincibility as well, completely horizontal trajectory and minimal lag make it one of the best moves to ever exist in a Smash game.
You have some valid points, at least as far as safety goes. I'm probably slightly uninformed since my ZSS experience is at least half of my Sheik MU experience. Bouncing Fish feels better from an offensive standpoint and Flip Jump from a defensive one, but I'm probably wrong.
I believe you are a masochist. There's literally no reason to punish yourself with bad characters and if you are going to play a bad character at the very least play a top tier on the side.
Not going to say you're wrong (heck, my Pokémon experience reinforces it) but what it really comes down to is that I play the characters I want to play. None of the top tiers currently appeal to me, neither in terms of the characters themselves nor in terms of gameplay. Pikachu is probably the closest, though. I'd probably get better results if I used better characters, but at the same time I feel that playing characters with more limitations has given me the ability to work around those limitations in many instances.

Also I don't like using the characters everyone else uses, that's boring. If everyone just used the perceived top tiers no other character would get developed or even used. It undermines the vast character selection that we get in Smash, and so I'm happy for players that use, and place with, characters outside the best.
seriously kofu?
Seriously what? I'm not complaining, just stated my tendencies. Heck, I embrace them and enjoy bopping people with my bad characters.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
lol conda to snap us straight. good call these conversations can get out of hand on even the most collected of fourms.

Ima calm my self down by watching some steven universe.
omg steven univese i love that show we should derail the thread again by talking about it/sarcasm

Diddy wins. OP. Ban plz.

Pretty good stuff. Same stuff it's been. Diddy, Sanic, ZSS, Rosa. I just now noticed that I only saw Sheik once all day. (I woke up late) She just didn't cut it for anyone or?
Maybe, Sheik's not for everyone. I prefer ZSS and Pikachu's movesets to Sheik, even though i'm decent with her.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Change what you like.....all you need is to like a top tier......then you're giving up what you like for something you like and increases your chances of winning.
i dont like fast characters and probably never will. it does not make me masochist for staying with what i like. all im saying is that there isstraight up flaws to telling someone to just switch characters if i was playing to make money sure. if i was playing to be the best i sure as hell want to be known for using a character i enjoy personaly.
end of story.
moving on.....

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You have some valid points, at least as far as safety goes. I'm probably slightly uninformed since my ZSS experience is at least half of my Sheik MU experience. Bouncing Fish feels better from an offensive standpoint and Flip Jump from a defensive one, but I'm probably wrong.

Not going to say you're wrong (heck, my Pokémon experience reinforces it) but what it really comes down to is that I play the characters I want to play. None of the top tiers currently appeal to me, neither in terms of the characters themselves nor in terms of gameplay. Pikachu is probably the closest, though. I'd probably get better results if I used better characters, but at the same time I feel that playing characters with more limitations has given me the ability to work around those limitations in many instances.

Also I don't like using the characters everyone else uses, that's boring. If everyone just used the perceived top tiers no other character would get developed or even used. It undermines the vast character selection that we get in Smash, and so I'm happy for players that use, and place with, characters outside the best.

Seriously what? I'm not complaining, just stated my tendencies. Heck, I embrace them and enjoy bopping people with my bad characters.
There's certain limitations that can't be worked around. There's plenty of characterswho are strong in this game I see no reason to intentionally limit yourself. I'd pick up pikachu if I were you that's going to help you in the long run. At the very least if you don't want to drop whoever you play you should play a strong character also.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
There's certain limitations that can't be worked around. There's plenty of characterswho are strong in this game I see no reason to intentionally limit yourself. I'd pick up pikachu if I were you that's going to help you in the long run. At the very least if you don't want to drop whoever you play you should play a strong character also.
Can't wait til your "strong" secondaries get bodied by better players.

Smooth Criminal

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
Sonic wanted to go in as much as possible. Couldn't because of X. I don't see why that's his problem and not the other character.

Guile keeps throwing Sonic Booms and Zangief won't just eat them. What a campy Zangief!

How long did that ZSS/Sonic match last? It sure wasn't to time out.
Sorry but that's not even comparable due to the engine of Smash and how the neutral/footsies are much more complex than Street Fighter. Zangief has to commit much more to get in against campy characters (Ex Green Hand, risky jump-ins etc). Sonic can actually run circles going for stray hits while being relatively safe in a lot of cases, then for most characters it's a herculean task to make a comeback once Sonic has the % lead and decides to play campy through sheer mobility (something that also wouldn't be possible in SF because of the linearity of movement options.)

If anything, it's Sonic that usually camps people with mobility. The old joke in this thread about "Sonic being a projectile himself" has a bit of truth in it. Do you really think in that set between Manny's Sonic and Reflex's Wario it was Sonic the one being camped and not Wario being completely helpless while trying to find a way to punish whatever Sonic threw at him? What about DaBuz having to play a totally stale game of walling and mind-gaming 6wX's approaches since that's the only way Rosalina wont be overwhelmed by Sonic's safe pressure? Heck that Villager vs Sonic set was one of the few sets where I saw Villager having to go all-in aggressive.

ZSS is one of the few characters that can contest Sonic's mobility and frame safeness, hence the faster and more dynamic sets. See my point?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
See, I'm all for picking up a secondary to cover gaping holes in your MUs. That's all well and fine, but this ****...

Hey the same thing will happen with your low tier main. If you want to avoid getting bodied then pick a top tier......
This sort of mentality is a ****ing joke. It still comes down to the player, homie.

Oh, and dropping a whole freaking game because your character got nerfed? Who's limiting who now? Pot/kettle/black?

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
So much emphasis is put on safe pokes and damage wracking while kill options are trivialized. "Well its not that bad, we've got some, our gimp game is great". Struggling to kill is more visible in a game with Rage. If anything most peoples issue with Lucario is really that they aren't able to close out the stock on a person who is blatently in Kill %'s...so they keep on throwing out safe pokes which only increases the chance the lose that match.

Lucario isn't anything mystical to gods with kill options. "He's @ 90-110%? Imma just end him now".

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So lets talk about Rosalina.

I try to keep an eye on Rosalina since she's my secondary, but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone have such powerful Luma control. It's my first time even seeing Luma attacking out of Rosie's Up-B.

Has this been a usual thing? I'm pretty sure it hasn't been.

David Viran

Smash Lord
The mobility specials in a free moving engine are way too good, as many have said.
To combat them you generally need to give a lot of respect and think 2-3 steps ahead of the opponent. It sucks because against the best characters, their frame data/neutral state is so strong that you can't just play a game where you're able to react to those movement specials while covering other things.

Anyway.
ZSS isn't easy.
I don't think she universally beats everyone. She's got a lot of potential though.
BUT.
her neutral b laser is not god tier. It isn't "safe" on shield or a frame trap unless charged (a lot), you can definitely take a positional advantage gain against her if you're shielding it properly. Most characters can completely out prioritise it with their aerials and smack her (which is an interesting nuance of the sheik MU where her fair isn't doing enough damage to beat it out, so ZSS gets guaranteed clashing stun Up-B's)
Her down B is quite good but definitely not disgusting like bouncing fish or quick attack at all, not even close. I'm not sure how the invincibility works with the move (perhaps moving the stick for 'rotations' is what causes it or something?), but it's somewhat consistent for a things like thunder, all of diddy's aerials, etc etc to just 'win' through the spin. It can be used aggressively but it's high risk / high reward.
It's one of the best moves in double though, holy crap. ZSS can literally be controlling two fights on opposite sides of the stage at the same time better than most (if not everyone) because of how destructive ground stomps / meteorish footstools / super kicks can be when covered by your partner and the speed

Up-B is very powerful, but somewhat like Ness if you're ramboing into her off stage and can pop out with DI you'll kill her in horizontal scenarios. If she loses down-b she's in a lot of trouble usually, but it isn't too bad if you have your mid air jump, better players expect the mid air jump option too though. It roofying and killing early is a mixture of people not having optimal DI (you want to go horizontally) and not respecting that you can't DI/shuffle out of it if ZSS picks 1 of the 3 angles properly a lot of the time (unless you're little mac).

Her challenging (not necessarily losing) match ups include :4darkpit::4pit::4peach::4mario::4luigi:
Possibly/probably loses to :4diddy::4pikachu::4jigglypuff:; Greninja seems hard too? Olimar?
*cough Ganondorf and Link do pretty well cough*

Anyway a point on ZSS is that she still struggles against smart shielding at mid-range. Don't over shield, that's silly (she's fine at waiting it out, and that's actually a really good situation for her a lot of the time when she reads shields, she can stand and react eventually :p). But unless neutral-b is charged it's pretty easy to negate it as a pressure tool, if you're a short character nair, fair, uair, bair, zair are no longer immediate or sometimes ever usable options (rar bair does swipe short characters sometimes though I should check the heights sometime).
ZSS can get grabs in this game better than in Brawl imo due to the shield changes, but at the same time I don't think people should be getting grabbed after any form of shield pressure; don't do silly rolls or jumps.

Beyond Up-B set ups or OoS punishes (based 4 frames), she can really struggle to kill, often only being able to fish for back airs. Back air is long range and generally safe but it's only out for 2 frames and can be crouched under. If people get consistent/better at shuffling out of Up-B she'll be kinda screwed tbqh. But i'm in the boat that the right position + right angle of up-b guarantees it 90% of the time.
I've been trying to see how easy it is to just react to the DI during the first hits of up b. At lower percents i'm pretty sure you can but at higher percents of rage personally I couldn't but my reaction time isn't the greatest. It might be possible though. Also I'm pretty sure you can land bair on short characters when they are on the ground but it's kind of hard. If you can you don't even need to be consistent with it you just need to make them scared to crouch under it.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Are you implying Ike is bad?
no he was just implying that anyones who not in high tier gets bodied besised i dont think anyones that bad.
@ Terios the Hedgehog Terios the Hedgehog not really answering my question bud, samus still placed really damn well.
Dk placed really damn well at The come Up Tourny
Ganons placing well overseas with gungnir
Trela and bloodcrosses charazard placing well.

once again who is bad?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It's my first time even seeing Luma attacking out of Rosie's Up-B.

Has this been a usual thing? I'm pretty sure it hasn't been.
It isn't new, it's just not something you see often I'd imagine.

Luma's aerials are available after upB ends, and it can use grounded moves while Rosalina's in landing lag, which can be used to set up Luma's rapid jab for a desync among other things.

Sadly I didn't get to see most of Xaltis' matches on stream, waiting warmly for youtube uploads.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i am sad to confess i have committed the sin of maining :4sonic: =(

is it too late to switch? i started maining him 4 weeks ago.

but sheiks better and he puts time into his shiek why shouldent he just quit ike?
because he's already spent the time on ike and quitting would be a huge ****ing waste

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Hey the same thing will happen with your low tier main. If you want to avoid getting bodied then pick a top tier......
Despite being a video game.
These things aren't totally binary.

A>B>C logic isn't how everything plays out, so playing a character now given X tier doesn't necessitate that the character is even bodied by a character in a higher tier.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
is a really bad character? samus just placed 8th in a 200+ tourny.
who is just that bad?
A 200 person tournament doesn't have 200 pro-level top players competing, though. Top 8 is great, but a consistent top level placement by multiple Samus players is more indicative of her actual potential.

Do great top-level players watch Samus and think "Wow, I can do stuff with Samus that I can't do with my current main!" and pick her up to develop her metagame, with the goal of being able to beat M2K and ZeRo? No, they learn how to deal with her using their current high-tier main and continue along their way, rendering Samus into a non-threat.

Samus will only have clear potential when she can win against top-level players who know how to face off against Samus - players that have developed strategies to beat Samus. Samus players will have to react to these strategies - only THEN will we see how Samus stacks up in the metagame.

In order to get there, more high-level players need to pick her up and solidify her metagame and see if she can actually develop ways to stay relevant competitively. Even if that happens and people develop her meta to where Diddy's is now (unlikely for at least a year or two), it's very likely we'll just discover she still can't compete with the combination of "top tier character"+"top level player".

Samus did well during the tournament, but there's an issue that becomes clear with any low-tier-hero success story early in a metagame - she is a limiting character who likely won't be able to adjust to counters against her. You are shackled when you play as her, and many other characters are the same way.

Nairo has done well with Pit/Dpit because he's a fundamentals-based character (he doesn't 'limit' you, he just lacks some punch), and Nairo is a player who has fantastic fundamentals - thus the two together can do well. Samus is likely not going to be able to dynamically and convincingly switch her options up enough on the fly against top-level players with developed strats for defeating Samus. That's the issue that is keeping people down-to-earth about Samus and similar low-tier-hero competitors.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

because he's already spent the time on ike and quitting would be a huge ****ing waste
well hes insinuating that its a waste to spend time on character below certain peramiters so pick a top tier.

@ Conda Conda while this is correct it is also incorrect in the same way. so far there is only 2 notible luigi mains and thier tourny placement at larger tournys is almost nonexsistant why are we placing luigi high? or even mario for that matter with really only one top level playing going anywhere with him.
This goes for alot of characters so im going simply chop up any wins to player skill and not the character yet Expecially since there is near non existant development on every single character below the so called high mid tier.
Besisds most top player would probably never switch there character for another year or 2 at this point in. But it does get the character attention and more people playing them. We never seen any dks till Dk Will rampaged through the come up. and to me thats all that matters. And shackles are only a problem if u dont truely understand ur character. yeah they may hold you back but
whos to say you cant do something great with them?
Whos to say u cant learn to adapt?
Whos to say you cant be a challenge?

end of rant Xd sorry for my uncontrolled optimisim

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
its a waste to quit when you already put time there in the first place, and its not hard to just put a few hours into diddy and secondary him if you run into a hard matchup

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
@ Conda Conda time out.

The problem with any of this is representation.

How many Donkey Kongs, Samus', etc do you think are actually even their to begin with?

If there is only one "top" player who plays Samus, you'll never have multiple Samus players to place.
Actually you can look @ ESam in NA given there is only slowly a Pika playerbase developing. Sure Pika places in other locations throughout the world but given the context of discussion is unfortunately primarily based around NA/EU, then Pikachu should be put on blast like Samus. Except it's not necessary.

Its the same problem with that smashladder ranking list that came out awhile ago. There was like 10 characters that weren't even played which said nothing about their potential even in a wifi setting.

If anything one should be less dismissal, not more.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
@ Conda Conda time out.

The problem with any of this is representation.

How many Donkey Kongs, Samus', etc do you think are actually even their to begin with?

If there is only one "top" player who plays Samus, you'll never have multiple Samus players to place.
Actually you can look @ ESam in NA given there is only slowly a Pika playerbase developing. Sure Pika places in other locations throughout the world but given the context of discussion is unfortunately primarily based around NA/EU, then Pikachu should be put on blast like Samus. Except it's not necessary.

Its the same problem with that smashladder ranking list that came out awhile ago. There was like 10 characters that weren't even played which said nothing about their potential.
This will always be an issue in Smash. Representation for inherently weaker characters will always be less and as a result you will either see the handful of excellent users of the characters placing or the rest of the player base failing to achieve anything meaningful. Heck, I'll bring up villager for a Smash 4 example. Several players have posted here saying that they feel Villager is really good, possibly top 15 (which I don't agree with BTW). There are a few Villager mains who are placing (zeezee is the main one) but few players are opting to choose Villager over others. How many of these wins are from player superiority or from matchup inexperience? Probably a little of both. What ends up happening is you have 90% of the best players using 10 or fewer characters that are the best, 8% using the other decent ones, and 2% using those that are just ineffective.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
no he was just implying that anyones who not in high tier gets bodied besised i dont think anyones that bad.
@ Terios the Hedgehog Terios the Hedgehog not really answering my question bud, samus still placed really damn well.
Dk placed really damn well at The come Up Tourny
Ganons placing well overseas with gungnir
Trela and bloodcrosses charazard placing well.

once again who is bad?
You won't know until they go up against ZeRo and M2K's Diddys, which on paper and in practice are doing much better than anyone else pretty much. You can win locals and such all you want, but ZeRo showed the strongest and more effortless wins with his skilled Diddy last night. I watch amazing Ganons and Charizards, and all I see are the ways ZeRo would destroy them without a sweat. APEX will show us how dominant these other players are with their mains. On paper, they don't hold a candle to what we've seen in the past 2 days.

Winning tournaments in your region is awesome, but it's nothing close to the For-Glory-style massacre we saw M2K and especially ZeRo perform. ZeRo rendered every pro player into pudding last night. Is that what the overseas Zard/Ganon/Ike/Dk/PacMan/etc players are doing at their tournaments? I highly doubt it.

ZeRo 2 stocked nearly everybody, and won nearly every set 2-0. By 'nearl'y I mean all of them minus one or two courtesy of Nairo. ZeRo is undefeated as of recently, and has been facing off against incredible players and rendering them useless.

It's a big deal to have a character utilized so well. It's something we in this thread couldn't even predict. We had no idea Diddy was actually capable of doing that at a tournament in the right hands. Once more people start playing him the way ZeRo does, the whole concept of "every character is viable " won't be a thing anymore.

The metagame is maturing quickly, but only for a select few characters. The only characters who will have a chance of competing against optimally played Diddys are other high-tier characters who have similarly devoted pro-level players developing their metagame (ZSS, Sonic, Fox, Sheik, Rosalina). The other characters, and their players, are on their own and have to try and game the metagame against all odds.

I'm excited to see how the meta develops to deal with it, if it can.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
you dont have to per se, but its going to require a ****ton more work.
Is working a bad thing?

@ Conda Conda one again ima chop that up to zero being better than basically every body else he had similar preformances when he played bowser before patch. i just dont see a reason to flip out cuz its diddy. its zero we should flipping out about.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I think Diddy is the best, not overpowered but definitely centralizing. Most forgiving risk/reward for sure. Pocket Diddys do not work unless you're already a good player though. He is definitely beatable... Zero winning with Diddy doesn't prove anything really, Zero wins tournaments regardless. There's a reason why late-tournament Diddy dittos are uncommon... most get eliminated! Eliminated by better players, who use whatever character they want.

I think Olimar and Luigi have a positive MU against Diddy, and characters with multiple mid-air jumps/high jumps (Shulk) should be explored more too.

He could get a reverse Shulk treatment (-1-3% on most moves) and still be fantastic

Just too much damage for a speedster and a few too many kill moves. And uair needs to decide whether it wants to be a damage racker or a stock closer.

I do like how most stream viewers last night were impressed by Zero's Diddy play, I think that's a good sign. He goes on the aggressive and is basically untouchable. God bless Nairo for taking 2(?) games off him.

Edit: oh YEAH and learn to DI the down-throw for god's sakes. M2K was interviewed and said just this.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

Main whoever you want.

Just because you might feel pressured about people not liking the matchups doesn't mean you shouldn't play who you like. I'm not even ashamed to admit I have so much fun playing as Diddy Kong even though he dominates sets, and for the most of the part I just put my time into learning Peach.

It's always good to have backup characters but in the end only your effort and preference makes the personal difference.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hey guys can we stop calling Diddy and the crew "top tiers"? There isn't a tier list yet and for all we know who you mean by top tier is different than what someone else means top tier. Can we call them something else?

Main whoever you want.

Just because you might feel pressured about people not liking the matchups doesn't mean you shouldn't play who you like. I'm not even ashamed to admit I have so much fun playing as Diddy Kong even though he dominates sets, and for the most of the part I just put my time into learning Peach.

It's always good to have backup characters but in the end only your effort and preference makes the personal difference.
I think Sonic is the devil but I will always encourage people to play Sanic if that is who they enjoy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom