• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
Does the Bouncing Fish ledge cancel still work, after the Dreamland 64 patch that ruined B moves sliding off edges for most characters?
If it does, along with ZSS Flip Kick ledge cancel, I'm going to have to start a petition for Kirby's Stone to slide off ledges again, because that is total BS.

Kirby has a stronger Upthrow. That's the only significant change he got, and it's not hard to make use of. Two high level Kirby players still couldn't make it out of round 1 pools, so don't expect the character to do.... anything... ever....

I'm surprised to see FOW in top 8, winner's side no less. I know he's good, and I know Ness is pretty good, but I didn't think Ness could make it that far solo. And Shaky top 12 as well? Also impressive.

And then he took Ranai to last hit, beat MVD, Concon, Komo, Earth, and Hyuga, and I don't even know who else. Too bad I was sleeping for the late matches last night. Beat Zero/Nairo early in doubles, beat Hyuga/Dabuz in doubles, had an extremely close set loss with Mr R/Abadango in doubles, and ended up falling to Zero/Nairo. Now he has to play against Nairo, loser getting 7th. Also fun to note that out of all the top 8 16, he's the only one that hasn't been to a national before, unless this is also Hyuga's first national?
Not a Sheik player so not sure about the ledge cancel now, but I would assume it no longer works after that patch given you can no longer do things such as running off edges and snapping ledge while Yoshi throws an egg and etc. Would also assume as such given never seen Sheiks implement edge cancelling it so I would presume as such. But again I'm not the one to ask.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
I get what you are saying. But I really felt like either of them could have taken it. I would have preferred if they had fought in winners finals if I had my way.

As an aside I'm very disappointed in 9B. Trelas personal demon is 6WX. I cant tell if DJ Jack is good or just lucky.
9B's placement was a shock to both Trela and I. It was sad.

I'm lucky sometimes. Getting 33/1096 entrants is definitely all by chance.

..but no, I'm actually pretty good.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Fow may beqt Ranai with Falco, he has a lot pf knowledge in the matchup
Of all the characters you could pocket for Villager, it's Falco and even then, you're better off pocketing some other character like Fox, Mario?, or Sheik for Villager. Why? Because they at least do well against the entire cast and can be used for other MUs instead of just one. It's been debated whether Falco goes even or slightly wins against Villager, but here's the big problem: how many top Falco players are there? None. How many good Falco players are out there? About 7-ish - throwing out a number. Now, how many top Villagers are out there? There's notably, Ranai. Maybe Ryuk and FOW who used to or still plays Villager could join? Good Villagers? Probably like other characters in that 5-10 range. FOW is a fantastic player and if FOW counter-picks with Falco against Ranai, he needs to play out of his mind and know the MU from Falco's standpoint. FOW might be better off sticking to his guns with Ness.

Last edited:

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
VoiD typically :4fox: dittos Larry and wins so I think Larry will get 7th and VoiD will go close with FOW i think. If Ranai for some reason loses to FOW, Ranai will destroy VoiD

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Of all the characters you could pocket for Villager, it's Falco and even then, you're better off pocketing some other character like Fox, Mario?, or Sheik for Villager. Why? Because they at least do well against the entire cast and can be used for other MUs instead of just one. It's been debated whether Falco goes even or slightly wins against Villager, but here's the big problem: how many top Falco players are there? None. How many good Falco players are out there? About 7-ish - throwing out a number. Now, how many top Villagers are out there? There's notably, Ranai. Maybe Ryuk and FOW who used to or still plays Villager could join? Good Villagers? Probably like other characters in that 5-10 range. FOW is a fantastic player and if FOW counter-picks with Falco against Ranai, he needs to play out of his mind and know the MU from Falco's standpoint. FOW might be better off sticking to his guns with Ness.
Yeah but.. you know... pocket

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I find it interesting to note that while there were 3 :4cloud: representatives in doubles top 8, There weren't any clouds in top 8 singles.

Prehaps Cloud is a better doubles character than singles character? Komorikiri vs Mr. R looked pretty convincing.

But, I don't understand something. If Marrss beat Earth, how are we still alive to talk about this?
This.

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
I've never been part of or watched a tournament that made me think someone who wasn't there must be a top 10 player in the world. If I recall correctly Hyuga beat Abadango's MK, who people consider one of the top 4 Metaknighs. So how good is Leo, the Crews showed that Mexico isn't free by any means, the play of their second best cemented that.

I'm just picturing it as some evil brain child of Aba's punish game and Tyrant's neutral and calling it Leo.

I wish he was there :(

nicholas libreros

Smash Rookie
I find it interesting to note that while there were 3 :4cloud: representatives in doubles top 8, There weren't any clouds in top 8 singles.

Prehaps Cloud is a better doubles character than singles character? Komorikiri vs Mr. R looked pretty convincing.

This.

again I will say it cloud is only a month old he has made his mark so imagen there is still things to be learned about him that maybe no one has really considered so its still a two sided blade he can ascend to top tier or get worse we will know soon enough

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent

This.
He is undoubtedly better in Doubles just empirically (his kit is so ridiculous there), but we had two Cloud secondaries (who used the character in relevant matches) and won with him.

Komorikiri vs. Mr. R was incredibly close to being Game 5. I figured it was over after the 0 death but Komo ran it literally all the way back to last hit last stock with Cloud. I think the character has incredible potential in Singles if this is just one month in, myself.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

This.
Perhaps Cloud is a month old?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This so hard. Sure, Pocketing PKT1 is obviously easy modo, but Villager can completely **** on Ness from every conceivable angle of approaching offstage otherwise. Bair, fair, nair, bowling balls, Lloids...it's almost mindboggling.

Smooth Criminal
The tree is practically a checkmate too. Basically forces Ness to recover as closely as possible and even then the Villager can just be waiting by the edge with a bowling ball. Utilt and usmash cancel out a lot of Ness's ledge options too so countering Villager's defensive edgeguarding options is really hard for him too.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

This.
Cloud's results as is are remarkable to be so good so quickly. Only MU that's really looked problematic has been Sheik, and even that's not all that bad. He's pretty clearly overtuned and needs to be nerfed in the next patch. For that matter, so do Sheik and Zero Suit, since right now they're a cut above the other high tiers. Maybe not drastic nerfs, but nerfs nonetheless do need to happen, as even with all the power creep this game has gotten those two characters are still a cut above.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Mewtwos ending lag being decreased should push him into B- to B tier plus me has more kill options

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Implying Cloud is a particularly nuanced and intricate character, and doesn't just get by on superior mobility, disjoints, and frame data?
If any chars meta can be fully fleshed out in a month then this game is truly degenerate, shallow and a waste of time.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Here's my predictions:

7th:Marrss, VoiD

5th:Larry Lurr, Dabuz

4th:Fow

3rd:Nairo

2nd:Ranai

1st:ZeRo

But, I don't understand something. If Marrss beat Earth, how are we still alive to talk about this?
Because there's hope that Nairo ends him

BetaDjinn

Smash Rookie
If any chars meta can be fully fleshed out in a month then this game is truly degenerate, shallow and a waste of time.
For a pretty straightforward character you'd think he could carry a player of Mew2King's caliber past ****ing Big D.

I'm just saying that referring to how new Cloud is is just ignoring tangible results. Plus there's the mitigating factor that counterplay takes even longer to develop than playing the character itself.

Djent

Smash Champion
Don't worry guys, :4cloud: is still pretty stupid in singles, and Komo still has wins on Edge and Rain. That being said, what Mr-R did to him cannot be ignored. Why would Komo go Sonic against Marss's ZSS? It's kind of baffling since he has a losing record in that MU anyway. He might have put up a better fight with Cloud.

:4tlink:: the writing was already on the wall, but this guy looks like a top 20 character for sure. In fact, I'm ready to say that he's better than Ike/Yoshi/Peach and comparable to Wario/Luigi/Falcon (i.e. he's a contender for top 15).

:4pikachu:: Yeah, I thought 1.1.1 meant a lot for this guy, but it turns out it didn't and he's definitely struggling to keep a spot in the top 10. Increased safety on a number of moves matters little in practice because that was never his issue to begin with. The Mario MU is actually looking bad enough that Pika appears to fall in the "theoretically should have a secondary" category with Ness/Villager. #SolidSenseWasRight

:4yoshi: sucks.

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
Saying that is not respecting Big D as a player, and if Big D was using even if he was using :4dedede:, you need to know the matchup, and big D is not some bad player, i will more worried if mew2king past top 32 with :4cloud:, a one month character.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Seeing such a diverse top 32 was Beautiful. A lot of the upper mid characters had very solid runs. [Specifically :4peach: :4tlink: :4pit:

Shame the top 8 is significantly less so.

Also, :4yoshi: is gone. Again. He made 1 top 8 throughout 2015 at a major, I think. [FireFly at PAX]

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's a shame how much disrepute the Yoshi community has brought upon their own character. So much wasted potential.

Edit: God tier ninja though. *tips hat*

:059:

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Speaking of
https://twitter.com/PG_ESAM/status/688813545127936000?lang=en

I never saw this coming. I've always had Yoshi kinda low, not even bad bias or opinions it was true from the start :^)
WFT did better than Yoshi last year and at Genesis, let that sink in. (Not saying WFT is bad but she's no top 20 character)

Also, :4yoshi: is gone. Again. He made 1 top 8 throughout 2015 at a major, I think. [FireFly at PAX]
Yup, genesis was a failure boiz

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
On paper Yoshi seems so good, but results show that he's really struggling. What is it about him that's holding him back? Is it his lack of kill options?

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
On paper Yoshi seems so good, but results show that he's really struggling. What is it about him that's holding him back? Is it his lack of kill options?
I think he's too honest. He lack the overwhelming assets the top tiers get, [Sheik's neutral, Luma, Zss's punishes, Banannas, Ness's easy combos and back throw, Ryu's Combo game. Mario's safety and lack of exceedingly bad options, a giant sword, Sonic's Speed, etc.] He's too honest, and he has to work much harder than a lot of the other characters where we've been grouping him with to do anything.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Saying that is not respecting Big D as a player, and if Big D was using even if he was using :4dedede:, you need to know the matchup, and big D is not some bad player, i will more worried if mew2king past top 32 with :4cloud:, a one month character.
:4bowserjr::4dedede::4duckhunt: are characters that are very strategy minded but I'd argue it's an uphill battle for all three. For :4dedede: specifically, my thoughts based on my experience with him (he's currently my fifth most played character):

The good:

-Can kill super early if you get the right reads.
-Aside from Wario, probably the safest recovery of the heavier characters.
-Amazing reach.
-Awesome shield grab.
-Dthrow is great at low percentages.
-Point blank gordo does a whopping 25%.
-Good onstage and off stage edge guarding options.
-Takes forever to kill him.

The bad:

-Gordo can backfire all too easily.
-Lots of ending lag on his most reliable kill moves.
-Terrible aerial mobility.
-Slow as balls on the ground.
-Crap landing options.
-Despite its safety, recovery is fairly predictable.
-No reliable kill throws.
-Approach options are virtually nonexistent.

The ugly:

-Basically only one real out of shield option that's still easy to punish.
-Can get juggled to oblivion.
-Easily overwhelmed by fast characters.
-Forced to approach by anyone with a decent projectile or reflector.
-Possible to get killed by your own gordo in extra humiliating fashion.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yoshi's grab sucks, throws suck, eggs are easy to avoid (offline), approach options are meh on shield.

I feel like what determines how good he is if jab->kill combos (smashes, downB?) are true, as well as how hard to avoid landing with command grab is. He seems decent in a lot of areas, like his recovery is hard to punish because he can airdodge through most edgeguard attempts with his amazing airspeed, and the frame data/hitbox/power on some of his aerials is amazing, but if people know the matchup, it doesn't seem overwhelming like the true top tiers are. I thought Yoshi was possibly Kirby's hardest matchup at one time, and it's still extremely hard, but once you get used to him you know how to work around some things. Gotta watch out for the hurtbox shuffle when he pulls back for Fsmash, gotta watch out for frame 7 (!!!) Yoshi Bomb, which kills Kirby at like 90%, and have to be careful attacking his shield, because Nair/tilts are quite good OoS options if your spacing isn't perfect.

He kinda seems like he struggles to get KOs. How true is Jab->KO?

I can understand Yoshi being a decent character, but I think :059: is overrating him.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
:4bowserjr::4dedede::4duckhunt: are characters that are very strategy minded but I'd argue it's an uphill battle for all three. For :4dedede: specifically, my thoughts based on my experience with him (he's currently my fifth most played character):

The good:

-Can kill super early if you get the right reads.
-Aside from Wario, probably the safest recovery of the heavier characters.
-Amazing reach.
-Awesome shield grab.
-Dthrow is great at low percentages.
-Point blank gordo does a whopping 25%.
-Good onstage and off stage edge guarding options.
-Takes forever to kill him.

The bad:

-Gordo can backfire all too easily.
-Lots of ending lag on his most reliable kill moves.
-Terrible aerial mobility.
-Slow as balls on the ground.
-Crap landing options.
-Despite its safety, recovery is fairly predictable.
-No reliable kill throws.
-Approach options are virtually nonexistent.

The ugly:

-Basically only one real out of shield option that's still easy to punish.
-Can get juggled to oblivion.
-Easily overwhelmed by fast characters.
-Forced to approach by anyone with a decent projectile or reflector.
-Possible to get killed by your own gordo in extra humiliating fashion.
Dedede is a character who's extremely limited in neutral and has no real approach to speak of, but has amazing ledge traps and punishes mistakes brutally. He's also very scary once he's up a stock because he's so hard to kill. If you get a lead on him and are willing to lame him out, he's garbage. Big D's a great player, but if anyone actually knew the D3 MU at a high level he would not be able to perform so well because the character is very limited, but he punishes MU ignorance brutally.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Yoshi's grab and throw game is very bad. And the lack of oppressive neutral, strong combo game, easy kill setups, or an ungimpable recovery makes it pretty hard to compete with the rest of high tier. It's that simple.

Edit: I agree with the Dedede sentiment as well. He literally thrives on opponents messing up, which is why I hate playing against him. That and he actually takes a year to kill.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yoshi's grab sucks, throws suck, eggs are easy to avoid (offline), approach options are meh on shield.

I feel like what determines how good he is if jab->kill combos (smashes, downB?) are true, as well as how hard to avoid landing with command grab is. He seems decent in a lot of areas, like his recovery is hard to punish because he can airdodge through most edgeguard attempts with his amazing airspeed, and the frame data/hitbox/power on some of his aerials is amazing, but if people know the matchup, it doesn't seem overwhelming like the true top tiers are. I thought Yoshi was possibly Kirby's hardest matchup at one time, and it's still extremely hard, but once you get used to him you know how to work around some things. Gotta watch out for the hurtbox shuffle when he pulls back for Fsmash, gotta watch out for frame 7 (!!!) Yoshi Bomb, which kills Kirby at like 90%, and have to be careful attacking his shield, because Nair/tilts are quite good OoS options if your spacing isn't perfect.

He kinda seems like he struggles to get KOs. How true is Jab->KO?

I can understand Yoshi being a decent character, but I think :059: is overrating him.
I'd write out an essay on Jab into whatever (downB isn't true, it's a matter of if the player screws up royally) but Imma do the lazy way instead.

If somehow tl;dr Staleness rage enemy % and where the boot hits you means Jab into X can work.
Super specific stuff along with hoping people forget they have a shield button, almost bad to the point where some people actually question if it's truly a kill set up compared to ZSS being able to dthrow uairuairupb Sheik dthrow Upb or Uair Ryu shenanigans, characters having free kills off throws like Ness Tink, or amazing moves with little lag or disjoints like Mario or Cloud.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
"All top 8 players got an interview. Ranai said MARSS was out Of Control AND THE HARDest person hes fought.

He's worried about fighting marss again"

I'm excited. Top 8 should be starting any minute riiiight? Aaaaaany minute

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
The talk on stream about labbing and training reminds me how terrible training mode is in Smash. :(

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
"All top 8 players got an interview. Ranai said MARSS was out Of Control AND THE HARDest person hes fought.

yeah, we're at SSB64 Loser's finals.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord

if what i'm hearing is correct, 64 has to end before we get to watch smash 4. it was predicted to end around 5:30, but i think it'll be later than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom