• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It depends on how much individual options matter, in the end. You're right about Super Turbo in that one good read can mean a touch-of-death combo that ends the round from the start. In Smash 4, both potential pressure and punishment are all over the place. You have characters like Sheik that can completely ignore disadvantaged states in many matchups ("I'm mildly uncomfortable in the air; I'd better Down-B") and others that can't easily get out of juggling position and can't turn it around with a successful read. Some characters have very strong guaranteed punishes from relatively small reads (ZSS grab -> stuff), and some characters gain nothing significant from their safest hits or grabs.

This kind of thing is the main reason that a good chunk of the top tier metagame revolves around getting guaranteed damage punishes. Reads don't matter as much or just aren't as reliable.

Last edited:

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
Lets's be real, at the end of the line top players shape the meta, you can bring the "X character has so much untapped potential" argument but if no top players pick him he will remain as a crappy low tier besides his "untapped potenial".

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Sagat players simply believe they muscle through certain MUs. Alex Valle beat the runner up to EVO 2014, Bonchan, using "I'm too big of a hurtbox character" Hugo. There are people in the Smash community who believe they can just muscle through the unfamiliar MUs only to get exposed.

J-Lit

Smash Rookie
I think by now we have a decent understanding of who the viable characters are and have seen top level matchups between them. This includes the top 11-12ish characters and maybe a few slightly outside of that range like Yoshi and wario.

The most interesting group is the 'semi-viable' or 'viable with secondaries' group. We have so little matchup knowledge of these chars. I mean, we could probably figure out how well they do against shiek due to his gatekeeper nature but what about the lesser known matchups; we rarely will ever have the chance to see a top level pit vs. greninja or lucario vs. robin matchup and it takes way more than one high level set to determine the outcome of a matchup.

Another interesting thing about the group is its size. For the people who throw out claims like "greninja is easily top 20" or "peach is top 15," I encourage you to actually make a tier list. The exact order doesn't matter as much but you may notice that characters you expected to be top 20 or top half of the tier list can be placed lower than you thought. The semi viable group could actually probably go about 30 characters deep. This means that some characters in the bottom half of the cast are still considered high tier by many. Not to mention the low tiers with good tools who are basically an ike treatment away from joining them. It's already happened with robin and dk. I'm not saying that all of these characters can start winning tournaments right away; just some food for thought.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yeah; while I appreciate the sentiment (that a matchup as bad a 70:30 is a real problem to competitive viability), the idea that 70:30 is the same as 100:0 is silly.

70:30 is 70:30, no more or less; just that and nothing else. That's the beauty of numbers.

Now if only we could actually measure them...

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I think by now we have a decent understanding of who the viable characters are and have seen top level matchups between them. This includes the top 11-12ish characters and maybe a few slightly outside of that range like Yoshi and wario.

The most interesting group is the 'semi-viable' or 'viable with secondaries' group. We have so little matchup knowledge of these chars. I mean, we could probably figure out how well they do against shiek due to his gatekeeper nature but what about the lesser known matchups; we rarely will ever have the chance to see a top level pit vs. greninja or lucario vs. robin matchup and it takes way more than one high level set to determine the outcome of a matchup.

Another interesting thing about the group is its size. For the people who throw out claims like "greninja is easily top 20" or "peach is top 15," I encourage you to actually make a tier list. The exact order doesn't matter as much but you may notice that characters you expected to be top 20 or top half of the tier list can be placed lower than you thought. The semi viable group could actually probably go about 30 characters deep. This means that some characters in the bottom half of the cast are still considered high tier by many. Not to mention the low tiers with good tools who are basically an ike treatment away from joining them. It's already happened with robin and dk. I'm not saying that all of these characters can start winning tournaments right away; just some food for thought.
I was encouraged, blame him if you've got a problem

Each tier = relatively same power level, but characters are ordered within tiers.

Not included are unviable fighters. Zelda, D3, Jiggly, 1111 Brawler and 1111 Gunner deserve a separate bottom 5 tier.

Don't get flustered over the tier names. S thru B are actually A+, A, A-. C thru D are actually B tiers, E thru F are C.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This is why to me ZSS and Shiek will ALWAYS be better then Ryu.

Being able to ignore a game state is just flippin HUGE. Ryu has good disadvantage but he HAS a disadvantage. Sheik and ZSS really don't. You outplay them and play your heart out only for them to hit down b and now YOU have to guess.

It's not exactly free, but its not this huge thought inducing process either.

This is also why conversion is so important. VS top tiers you will get maybe 3 chances a stock to get something going. Being able to clench 30% minimum or the stock is meta defining.

P.S - I miss ST and HD Remix. Fun times.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I feel like having a solid neutral outweighs anything else in Smash 4, considering whoever wins the neutral usually gets upwards of 30% on the opponent. Just my thoughts.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Default size/weight, 1111 brawler isn't great, but he's still got pretty sweet grab reward up until high-ish percents. The idea that he's bottom 3 without access to the rest of his specials is really silly to me. He has a chain grab at low percents, and some nasty dthrow-> footstool-> lock combos at mid percents. His neutral and disadvantaged states are surprisingly decent (frame 3 lingering nair!). His big struggle is killing without helicopter kick, but he still gets access to onslaught, at least. His inability to end stocks hurts; however his grab reward makes up for a lot of it. Also, while not great, shotput is relatively better in 1111 than in 1122 because the damage doesn't put your opponent past helicopter kick setup percents anymore. This, in part, makes 2122 the best setup overall.

Yeah, I haven't mentioned matchups, but like... this is basic stuff that lends itself to at least a decent character in sm4sh.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I...don't think anybody champions that notion of everyone being viable, but it is evident that the disparity in this game is less than its predecessors. To what degree, well, we don't even have all the ****ing characters yet AND we might have future patches still, soooooo...

And lol at the notion of Falcon mains having to "work hard."

Smooth Criminal
Falcons have to work hard past the level of play where dashdance-dashgrab works everytime and people know to DI away and jump

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice

Each tier = relatively same power level, but characters are ordered within tiers.

Not included are unviable fighters. Zelda, D3, Jiggly, 1111 Brawler and 1111 Gunner deserve a separate bottom 5 tier.

Don't get flustered over the tier names. S thru B are actually A+, A, A-. C thru D are actually B tiers, E thru F are C.
I guess it's ok to talk about this if I keep it to viability and not a character's placement on the list.

I guess you're saying A is solo tournament viable, B is semi tournament viable, and C is viable with secondaries. With that in mind why is Doc up in C while Mac isn't. Doc has a bad recovery just like Mac, fast moves just like Mac, and strong moves just like Mac. Mac is probably the best grounded character, and a good little Mac would use that how it needs to be used. Going back a few pages to the guy that said an optimal little Mac could beat a Rosa, you were right. Sol (I think) beat Xaltis Rosa either last week or the week before last. This is kind of another Doc case where a low tier character beat a top tier, granted it is still a pain in the *** MU for Mac. In the case of Nairo's Doc he wasn't main him instead Doc was the secondary. Other than Doc secondaries I haven't seen Doc mains make it to far in a tournament, assuming they stay Doc a majority of the matches.

Why is Lucas in the nonviable section when we have PinkFresh, who didn't even own a wii U until a little while ago, do decent with the character at Xanadu with Pit as a secondary. He is clearly using a character who gets him far in tournament, but has a secondary character to help him out. Wouldn't that put Lucas in at least C tier.

I could probably make an argument for the rest of them, except Puff and the Miis because I know nothing of them, but I think I got the basic point across: no character is completely unviable. Every character is viable with secondaries, but some may need the secondary in more MUs than another character. The C and D tiers are where most every character is and trying to order them within the tiers would be very very hard (some would say impossible).

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I guess it's ok to talk about this if I keep it to viability and not a character's placement on the list.

I guess you're saying A is solo tournament viable, B is semi tournament viable, and C is viable with secondaries. With that in mind why is Doc up in C while Mac isn't. Doc has a bad recovery just like Mac, fast moves just like Mac, and strong moves just like Mac. Mac is probably the best grounded character, and a good little Mac would use that how it needs to be used. Going back a few pages to the guy that said an optimal little Mac could beat a Rosa, you were right. Sol (I think) beat Xaltis Rosa either last week or the week before last. This is kind of another Doc case where a low tier character beat a top tier, granted it is still a pain in the *** MU for Mac. In the case of Nairo's Doc he wasn't main him instead Doc was the secondary. Other than Doc secondaries I haven't seen Doc mains make it to far in a tournament, assuming they stay Doc a majority of the matches.

Why is Lucas in the nonviable section when we have PinkFresh, who didn't even own a wii U until a little while ago, do decent with the character at Xanadu with Pit as a secondary. He is clearly using a character who gets him far in tournament, but has a secondary character to help him out. Wouldn't that put Lucas in at least C tier.

I could probably make an argument for the rest of them, except Puff and the Miis because I know nothing of them, but I think I got the basic point across: no character is completely unviable. Every character is viable with secondaries, but some may need the secondary in more MUs than another character. The C and D tiers are where most every character is and trying to order them within the tiers would be very very hard (some would say impossible).
At what point, exactly, do you draw the line? "I can use my main in 50% of matchups, therefore he is viable!"

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
"Viable with secondaries" is a weird thing to discuss because every character is viable if your secondary is Sheik. It should read something more like "genuinely useful in certain matchups".

Also Amadeus9 Amadeus9 you can rename the tiers by clicking on the letter :]

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Viable with a secondary also means that you can use your main for most matches and only bring a secondary occasionally for MUs your main struggles with. If you reach a point where you end up using your secondary more than your main just because you run into bad MUs all the time, then that character isn't really a secondary anymore.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Largely this was in regard to the Link discussion I so unfortunately just missed. Every low tier main likes to say that they have some untapped secret potential. It's been more than a year. Where is this potential exactly?
All characters have potential from the strongest of characters like ZSS and Ryu to the weakest like Zelda and er... Zelda. Their potential ceilings will be different and some of their unknown stuff may be pitiful compared to others, but they all have potential. I mean, how many years has it been since Melee was released? Freaking Yoshi ends up doing well because a certain player pushed him beyond what others thought he was capable of. Brawl had this with Ike, Sonic, and Wolf and Smash 4 already had this with Dr. Mario and Pac-Man. Time doesn't really matter; for all we know, Fox could already be tapped out already while Sheik has undiscovered techniques that lets her invalidate everyone. No, not have a winning MU against everyone, I mean going at worse, 90:10 against everyone. Nobody really knows. So, all we can really do is speculate which could lead to The Great Depression for certain characters... some of which are or were in The Great Depression like Greninja and Meta Knight.

Anyway, if there's one thing I think characters have and players aren't doing well is movement. Movement is a basic option that all characters have and should be a skill mastered by now. I mean, if you can make a character who's considered slow look fast like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NjzWs-97M8, or this: https://youtu.be/z2sVYGcazPk? Then you're doing something right. I get it, some characters inherently have easier ways to move and some characters have harder ways to deal with movement, but really, when you're in combat, you do not want to be a sitting duck. Even if you're a freaking tank like Ganondorf and Triple D, that means nothing. Question: What happens to tanks that are out in the open? Answer: They get demolished.

Someone, a commentator if I recall, said that he could tell if a player was "in control" of their character just based on how they move. This is not how they attack or how good they are able to combo or followup, but how they move. When you watch any form of fighting, you will see fighters move and how fluid, how in control they are while moving can make the difference. Biggest example is boxing and if you want something even more fancy, watch savate and behold the marvel that is dance footwork combined with boxing. Do not mess with a Frenchman wearing silly boots. Trela's shuffle with Ryu, Neo's agility with Marth, ZeRo's movement with Diddy, and more are examples of how players should be moving. And it's a basic skill!

Smash 4 might not have wavedashing like in Tekken, Marvel vs. Capcom, or Melee, it might not have 8-way run like in Tekken and Soul Calibur, and it might not even have air dashing which in my opinion should replace air dodging, but that's another story, but even with basic movement that has been available in all Smash games, you can be deceptive, you can feint, you can avoid, and you can be one difficult son/daughter of a gun to catch and figure out how to hit you.

Note how Cyro was able to move with Falco, a character who's considered slow. Now imagine what would happen if he did that with Fox, Little Mac, Captain Falcon, or Sonic. Cyro's not even a top player and you don't have to be a top player. People complaining Rosalina's annoying to catch? Imagine a player moving like that with Rosalina! You'd be crying tears of blood and popping veins playing one match against that player. As painful it will be for players to fight that, I want all players to strive for amazing movement.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
"Viable with secondaries" is a weird thing to discuss because every character is viable if your secondary is Sheik. It should read something more like "genuinely useful in certain matchups".

Also Amadeus9 Amadeus9 you can rename the tiers by clicking on the letter :]
Oh dang oops

I'm guessing you have Doc where he is because of the very specific MU uses? Not that I entirely disagree, just wondering =3
Yeah. Well honestly I just don't see how a character with that good of a moveset is bad. He's mostly just held back by mobility :v

He's not hard to learn, and has decent to good matchups against fighters vulnerable to his combos (which is a surprising amount of top tiers), and damn does he punish matchup inexperience hard. IMO he's like Luigi-, except most people don't plan on getting CP'd with Doc like they do with Luigi. And honestly if people continue to develop him I think he has quite a bit of room to grow meta-wise so that he can maintain being a solid fighter even after everyone has figured out the matchup. He's definitely not sleeper high tier or anything tho

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

This is a pretty solid list. I too am assuming we're allowed to discuss the placements in the context of viability and thus am not bothered about order within tiers.

I'd suggest Mario and Sonic switch places, as this would reflect results and the general strength that high level Sonic is displaying right now. Mario I feel has a little further to go.

Luigi and possibly ROB should be bumped down to D tier, but Falcon and Wario should take their place. Luigi has a LOT of problem MUs now and I feel he's continually overrated by players like ZeRo. This character struggles badly against projectiles and hit 'n' run playstyles; the viable tiers are flooded with both those traits and you can often find them on the same character. ROB can probably stay up there for now, there's no denying he's a strong character, but I'm not aware of particularly strong results internationally.

Wario in particular is ranked too low from both a results and theory perspective though I do think he's not as good as I once thought. Possibly relies too much on that Waft trump card? Meh, IDK. He's really strong/annoying but I don't think his strengths are unfairly polarizing. I happen to agree that Falcon is generally overrated, especially with that horrendous Sheik MU, but at this point you can't argue with his results, which are comparable to some of those in the B tier.

I actually think if you bump Toon Link and maybe Pac-Man down you can combine the C and D tiers. This large tier would need more careful ordering but I think most of the characters there are on a roughly similar power level. Include Pac-Man and you've got a nice neat top 25, as I originally suggested (10 viable, 15 semi-viable). I still think Pac is good, by the way, but worry for his future as his best players continue to drop him. To a lesser extent I think he will really suffer from people learning the MU and how to deal with his unique gimmicks, but he strikes me as the kind of character who can always evolve with new gimmicks to keep people guessing in the MU, so whatever.

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Well honestly I just don't see how a character with that good of a moveset is bad. He's mostly just held back by mobility :v

He's not hard to learn, and has decent to good matchups against fighters vulnerable to his combos (which is a surprising amount of top tiers), and damn does he punish matchup inexperience hard. IMO he's like Luigi-, except most people don't plan on getting CP'd with Doc like they do with Luigi. And honestly if people continue to develop him I think he has quite a bit of room to grow meta-wise so that he can maintain being a solid fighter even after everyone has figured out the matchup. He's definitely not sleeper high tier or anything tho
You say that about Doc but what about all the characters you put into the nonviable category? They all have room to grow, some with better mobility and better recoveries than Doc. I just feel you're not fully considering those character's options I guess because they don't have results, but Doc doesn't have results either. Doc has 1 MU win against 1 top tier character. Tweek won Xanadu with BJ once and you put him into the nonviable section. Being easy to learn shouldn't put a character low on a tier list. Shulk probably has one of the highest learning curves of any character and he's in the nonviable part of your tier list as well, but Ally (I think) pulled him out at I think TO 11 (I may have this wrong). Probably every character has room to grow and that's why as of now practically every character is to some level viable or "genuinely useful in certain match ups."

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
This is a pretty solid list. I too am assuming we're allowed to discuss the placements in the context of viability and thus am not bothered about order within tiers.

I'd suggest Mario and Sonic switch places, as this would reflect results and the general strength that high level Sonic is displaying right now. Mario I feel has a little further to go.

Luigi and possibly ROB should be bumped down to D tier, but Falcon and Wario should take their place. Luigi has a LOT of problem MUs now and I feel he's continually overrated by players like ZeRo. This character struggles badly against projectiles and hit 'n' run playstyles; the viable tiers are flooded with both those traits and you can often find them on the same character. ROB can probably stay up there for now, there's no denying he's a strong character, but I'm not aware of particularly strong results internationally.

Wario in particular is ranked too low from both a results and theory perspective though I do think he's not as good as I once thought. Possibly relies too much on that Waft trump card? Meh, IDK. He's really strong/annoying but I don't think his strengths are unfairly polarizing. I happen to agree that Falcon is generally overrated, especially with that horrendous Sheik MU, but at this point you can't argue with his results, which are comparable to some of those in the B tier.

I actually think if you bump Toon Link and maybe Pac-Man down you can combine the C and D tiers. This large tier would need more careful ordering but I think most of the characters there are on a roughly similar power level. Include Pac-Man and you've got a nice neat top 25, as I originally suggested (10 viable, 15 semi-viable). I still think Pac is good, by the way, but worry for his future as his best players continue to drop him. To a lesser extent I think he will really suffer from people learning the MU and how to deal with his unique gimmicks, but he strikes me as the kind of character who can always evolve with new gimmicks to keep people guessing in the MU, so whatever.
I go back and forth on Mario and Sonic all the time, mostly where I'm at right now is I think Metaknight is a better fighter than Sonic from a matchup spread standpoint, and I think Mario has a better matchup spread than Metaknight, so I order top 10 based on that relation, but again I go back and forth. My honest-to-goodness opinion is that the top ten is actually pretty homogeneous in terms of power level, but Sheik and ZSS just slightly edge them out.

Luigi's weird, man. I still think he's better than the fighters I put below him... but not by that much. People who have stuck with Luigi are still winning things here and there so I think it's a litttttle to early to write him off - HOWEVER I will say that my opinion on him will definitely go down over time, as I really don't see how he has much more room to grow play wise, while other fighters do.

As for Wario... I do think he's good, but waft is just way too much of his gameplan. If we ever move to 3 Stock meta, RIP Wario. Otherwise I see him getting better and better.

As for the fighters I put below Pacman I definitely think there is a power gap big enough to warrant the separation.

Doc doesn't have results either
:y

Edit: Hmm on second thought, I could easily put Wario above Tink as easily as I put him where he is

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
All characters have potential from the strongest of characters like ZSS and Ryu to the weakest like Zelda and er... Zelda. Their potential ceilings will be different and some of their unknown stuff may be pitiful compared to others, but they all have potential. I mean, how many years has it been since Melee was released? Freaking Yoshi ends up doing well because a certain player pushed him beyond what others thought he was capable of. Brawl had this with Ike, Sonic, and Wolf and Smash 4 already had this with Dr. Mario and Pac-Man. Time doesn't really matter; for all we know, Fox could already be tapped out already while Sheik has undiscovered techniques that lets her invalidate everyone. No, not have a winning MU against everyone, I mean going at worse, 90:10, against everyone. Nobody really knows. So, all we can really do is speculate which could lead to The Great Depression for certain characters... some of which are or were in The Great Depression like Greninja and Meta Knight.

Anyway, if there's one thing I think characters have and players aren't doing well is movement. Movement is a basic option that all characters have and should be a skill mastered by now. I mean, if you can make a character who's considered slow look fast like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NjzWs-97M8, or this: https://youtu.be/z2sVYGcazPk? Then you're doing something right. I get it, some characters inherently have easier ways to move and some characters have harder ways to deal with movement, but really, when you're in combat, you do not want to be a sitting duck. Even if you're a freaking tank like Ganondorf and Triple D, that means nothing. Question: What happens to tanks that are out in the open? Answer: They get demolished.

Someone, a commentator if I recall, said that he could tell if a player was "in control" of their character just based on how they move. This is not how they attack or how good they are able to combo or followup, but how they move. When you watch any form of fighting, you will see fighters move and how fluid, how in control they are while moving can make the difference. Biggest example is boxing and if you want something even more fancy, watch savate and behold the marvel that is dance footwork combined with boxing. Do not mess with a Frenchman wearing silly boots. Trela's shuffle with Ryu, Neo's agility with Marth, ZeRo's movement with Diddy, and more are examples of how players should be moving. And it's a basic skill! Smash 4 might not have wavedashing like in Tekken, Marvel vs. Capcom, or Melee, it might not have 8-way run like in Tekken and Soul Calibur, and it might not even have air dash which in my opinion should replace air dodging, but that's another story, but even with basic movement that has been available in all Smash games, you can be deceptive, you can feint, you can avoid, and you can be one difficult son/daughter of a gun to catch and figure out how to hit you. Note how Cyro was able to move with Falco, a character who's considered slow. Now imagine what would happen if he did that with Fox, Little Mac, Captain Falcon, or Sonic. Cyro's not even a top player and you don't have to be a top player. People complaining Rosalina's annoying to catch? Imagine a player moving like that with Rosalina! You'd be crying tears of blood and popping veins playing one match against that player. As painful it will be for players to fight that, I want all players to strive for amazing movement.
amazing post

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Going back a few pages to the guy that said an optimal little Mac could beat a Rosa, you were right. Sol (I think) beat Xaltis Rosa either last week or the week before last.
I don't think that one match is enough to determine a matchup. Obviously there's more examples, but as far as I know none of this level. It's much less meaningful when you consider that in this matchup, you get touched and you basically blow up. Not even Luma, destroyer and creator of universes, stands a chance. It's just too volatile for individual matches to matter. You need more data. However what I said is that Optimal Little Mac BEATS Rosalina (but slightly). Confirmation bias is nice though.

Do you by any chance have a link to this match? I couldn't find it.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Have you met Zan?
I'm kind of busy atm testing z-axis stuff, so this'll have to be short.

This wouldn't have anything to do with trying to get an answer to these posts, would it? :p
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-rules-q-a-thread.378930/page-9#post-20572019
http://smashboards.com/threads/isle...cial-skype-group.376731/page-30#post-20577702

But seriously though. You're not wrong in that Toon's low damage output is an issue and it is certainly true that he must approach shields and patient play differently from other members of the cast, but he doesn't outright lose to them because of this. You're wrong about all his meaningful damage coming from JC bombs. I don't know what gave you that idea. And I'd disagree about not having to care about being grabbed until you're at kill percents; if this were the case, people would never bother avoiding them. If you can't see the value in admittedly relatively minor throw (+ pummel) damage putting the opponent from a position of neutral to arguable disadvantage, then maybe you've just been spoiled by smash 4's overall strong grab game.

I don't believe I have anything insightful to say as this is all basic stuff, but here goes.

What you are essentially describing is the obstacle that must be overcome in order to play Toon effectively at all. Much of Toon's game necessarily revolves around safely harassing shields and adopting correct responses (in relation to the choices the opponent makes) in order to break their defence. It's not a simple matter of looking at a bomb in hand blocking your ability to grab and thinking, 'well gee, I guess I can't threaten shields, what now?' or looking at how slow the grab is and how little guaranteed damage you can get out of it and taking that to mean Toon has no answer to shields. While I agree that a good shield-game is absolutely essential for versing Toon, Toon mains are more than well versed at playing around them because of this. What you need to be thinking as Toon is, 'am I in a position where their potential actions OoS are threatening me, and if so, am I currently unable to act?'; if not, what's the problem? Keep safely harassing their shield, or safely throwing out attacks that would hit them if they used an OoS option, all while baiting responses, and then beat the responses, not the shield directly. Then, through conditioning, beating the shield directly with grab or dash grab becomes a perfectly legitimate option too, just to keep them on their toes and keep your momentum going.

The lack of damage output makes Toon very frustrating to use, especially against other characters who can rack up ~60% in the blink of an eye. But just because he is frustrating to use this does not mean he is a bad character. You have to ask, to what exactly should this frustration be directed? The character, or yourself? I know this is a cop out to say 'oh it's the player that is bad, not the character', but it is absolutely a fact that some characters require less effort and less concentration to win with than others, and it is also a fact, last time I checked, that this criteria does not determine tiers. Any character with poor damage output per move, including high tiers, must rely on the player to compensate for it by learning to extend combos/strings, learning to maintain the advantage for as long as possible, learning to win the neutral consistently, learning to seal stocks early/efficiently, and of course learning to avoid unnecessary/avoidable damage yourself. The better the player, the more they'll be able to make use of a character's natural mobility and overall speed to do just that, such that poor damage output per move becomes less of an issue. I believe that Toon's natural mobility and overall speed scrapes by to allow top players to compete with him at a high level, a level that Link will not see.

Right, assuming that the opponent isn't interested in the bait and punish game, assuming you've conditioned the opponent to stay in shield which Link is worse at forcing, and also assuming that you yourself haven't been conditioned to not grab for fear that you will whiff and receive a larger punish from the opponent because of your slow and punishable grab.
What Link has is a greater threat attached to his grab, which naturally makes the opponent want to avoid making a habit of standing in shield waiting for you to do something, but this does not = beating shield.

This all stems from the fact that you see the scenario where the opponent is standing in shield waiting for you to do something, as a crippling problem for Toon, which has been addressed above.

lol no.
I'll put it this way. When you see a Link dash towards you without a bomb, what exactly do you think he's going to do? Dash attack is out of the question; too slow and cumbersome. Link has no good dash rising aerials, so that's not going to happen. Other than simply shielding or stopping and doing something out of a skid, all he's really got is dash grab, which is slow, and now also predictable. Toon on the other hand has a burst dash attack, rising aerials as well as a good ground speed and aerial mobility to reverse his momentum if need be, and he's not afraid of crossing up, e.g. with one of the fastest rolls in the game, or getting in close on occasion where his U-tilt is very threatening. Toon's burst is a threat. Link's is a joke.

I've spoken about this before in some earlier post, but arguably Toon is better at killing. Besides, you said it yourself:

Why wasn't I invited to this party? http://smashboards.com/threads/link...-found-in-the-op.379659/page-35#post-20457552

Yeah, no, there's more to frame data than start-up frames. Care to compare their FAFs?

Bomb's can be 'powershielded', but not in the traditional sense. Bombs themselves aren't a hitbox. They merely generate a hitbox, i.e. the bomb blast, so if the bomb hits a shield within three frames, you won't get the 'ting' and you'll still have to go through the 7 frames of shield drop etc, etc. You can however powershield the bomb blast itself if you happen to hit shield on the same frame that the bomb blast hitbox is generated, i.e. the frame after the bomb has detected an enemy hurtbox, and of course you can powershield the explosion if the bomb hits the ground. If however the bomb enters into the shield-sphere before the shield is even up, and then it is 'powershielded', then it behaves differently, which leads me on to the next bit.
When Toon's bomb, not the blast, is shielded in any normal way, i.e. not 'powershielded', it immediately stops trying to detect the hurtbox of the enemy who shielded it. It will then fall to the ground and explode only upon impact with the ground; prior to this, it is harmless. If however the bomb itself is 'powershielded' then it will continue to detect your hurtbox on the way back down, effectively punishing you for being good.

Link's Throw game is definitely better. See the link above.

Now, back to testing. Leave me alone.
Tink is viable now because no one plays the match up properly. People commit to things like dashes and early jumps when they're too far away and get hit by stuff they don't need to. They're trying to read where Tink will throw stuff but they don't need to. If you're too far away to hit him with some kind of burst movement, all you need to do is powershield walk until he leaves a gap open.

He can't just keep throwing stuff directly at you because eventually you'll just be able to jump over it and punish him. So he needs to mix it up and throw stuff into space, but any character with either ground or aerial mobility can just aggress at this point and his only option (if he has enough time) is to throw something directly at you in which case you case you can SHAD, but most of the time he can't get out a projectile in time anyway.

Tink only works now because people are impatient and give you low-commitment damage for free. Against a patient powershield walker who knows Tink's frame data you actually need to commit to stuff pretty early to protect yourself and you get low reward out of it. You don't get the free damage you get now.

But really no one plays like that so it doesn't matter. So in the end Tink is still viable, which is good for me because I like him lol.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Sheik is only viable because people won't stop getting hit by F-airs, what's up with that

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Default size/weight, 1111 brawler isn't great, but he's still got pretty sweet grab reward up until high-ish percents. The idea that he's bottom 3 without access to the rest of his specials is really silly to me. He has a chain grab at low percents, and some nasty dthrow-> footstool-> lock combos at mid percents. His neutral and disadvantaged states are surprisingly decent (frame 3 lingering nair!). His big struggle is killing without helicopter kick, but he still gets access to onslaught, at least. His inability to end stocks hurts; however his grab reward makes up for a lot of it. Also, while not great, shotput is relatively better in 1111 than in 1122 because the damage doesn't put your opponent past helicopter kick setup percents anymore. This, in part, makes 2122 the best setup overall.

Yeah, I haven't mentioned matchups, but like... this is basic stuff that lends itself to at least a decent character in sm4sh.
Messing around with some of Brawler's other down and side specials, I find Foot Flurry and Burning Dropkick to be decent choices. The recovery time of both moves is cut drastically when you land the attacks and both moves set the opponent in a good position to be hit again if you hit them in the air. Burning Dropkick in particular is nice since it has good power when used with a smash input and it can sweetspot the ledge. Foot Flurry is... less useful overall as opponents can fall out of the grounded version (and possibly the aerial one too). I'm not sure if it's worth giving up the flip kick down-b (can't remember the name offhand either). But with those two moves I envision a character who can carry the opponent to the blast zone with ease, even after missing the DThrow/Helicopter Kick setups, and still make it back thanks to Brawler's absurd air speed.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Sheik is only viable because people won't stop getting hit by F-airs, what's up with that
Sheik's fair is safe on shield and she has several other threatening options you have to worry about. Her options are also too fast to react to.

That's the difference. If Tink is at a range where throwing projectiles is safe, there's no reason to commit to anything other than powershield walking. Only time when you need to commit is when you're in punish range, but a lot of the time you can play reactively there too unless you're a really bad character like Zelda. The problem is that he was given bad range and frame data, and low reward because he's designed to rack up a lot of damage safely. But he simply doesn't do that against patient players.

Against those types of players he can only do real damage if he commits to stuff, but his low reward means most characters get a lot more reward out of commitments than he does.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Just... read this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_lapidem

Dre89 Dre89 Gave an explanation as to why he thinks people aren't treating the Tink matchup properly. You can't just dismiss it because "reasons".
I don't think that means what you think it means.

If you wanted to pin a logical fallacy to me, "Hasty Generalization" would have been more suited and would have made it look less like you were pandering to arm chair intellectuals.

Regardless, I'm going to go ahead and drive the point even further, because it seems you missed it.

These are exactly the same arguments I see written to downplay Sheik.

"Wtf i don't get why people keep dying to dthrow uair it's not guaranteed"

"All you have to do is di and sdi perfectly and you can get out of her combos"

These types of arguments don't hold water. You can't say that a fighter is bad, but only good because people who play against it are idiots. That doesn't make sense. (By the way, that would be "False Attribution", I know you've got that list up on Wikipedia because it makes you look oh-so smart, so go ahead and take a look)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't think that means what you think it means.

If you wanted to pin a logical fallacy to me, "Hasty Generalization" would have been more suited and would have made it look less like you were pandering to arm chair intellectuals.

Regardless, I'm going to go ahead and drive the point even further, because it seems you missed it.

These are exactly the same arguments I see written to downplay Sheik.

"Wtf i don't get why people keep dying to dthrow uair it's not guaranteed"

"All you have to do is di and sdi perfectly and you can get out of her combos"

These types of arguments don't hold water. You can't say that a fighter is bad, but only good because people who play against it are idiots. That doesn't make sense. (By the way, that would be "False Attribution", I know you've got that list up on Wikipedia because it makes you look oh-so smart, so go ahead and take a look)
It's not analogous though because when Sheik threatens you fair she also does so with several other options at the same time that you can't react too.

Tink's neutral game would be more equivalent to Sheik only being able to use fair and smashes in neutral. Her only safe option/s are all countered by the one defensive option and there's no other option you really have to fear unless she commits really hard.

That's what Tink's neutral game is like. His safe options provide no threat unless he commits hard to a follow up, but the risk-reward is skewed negatively because of his low reward.

I also never said people are idiots. Saying people don't play the MU properly is only bad if you don't explain what they're doing wrong. I've explicitly stated what people don't do in the match up and explained why they should do it. Which is far more than anything you've done in this discussion.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't think it's impossible that people are just approaching the matchup wrong. To me it feels like Pink Fresh gets a lot of wins with Lucas because people don't really understand how to deal with his stuff properly... Although I won't argue that too hard since I don't particularly care about Lucas.

Still, gotta admit if it were to actually happen to anybody, it'd be these two.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't think it's impossible that people are just approaching the matchup wrong. To me it feels like Pink Fresh gets a lot of wins with Lucas because people don't really understand how to deal with his stuff properly... Although I won't argue that too hard since I don't particularly care about Lucas.

Still, gotta admit if it were to actually happen to anybody, it'd be these two.
It's unlikely that people will bother lab MUs against uncommon characters because there's so many of them and the game is still relatively young.

Typically the MUs that get played the most incorrectly are the ones that require you to play very different to how you normally would in neutral. Tink is a good example because in most match ups it's better to space with hitboxes and unpredictable movement with various dash applications. But against Tink it's more optimal to powershield walk and just react to his projectiles.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigi is feel is a very wierd character. He loses to stuffs that most other characters don't. What top/high tiers loses to hit and run? What character has to actually work quite a bit just to bypass stuffs like Charge Shot? What character can't punish a Falcon F-smash on shield? What character that's so godawful at landing that people can just say s*** and continously smack him? Ganon at least has Wizkick and fat N-air, and the former kills. Luigi has none if you just stay below him. If he's below you or in range of his B-air then he's golden. But get below him and he's a complete wreck.

Also, what 'good' or 'decent' character has FIVE bad moves? By bad moves, I mean can't be worked around much/don't flow into the character's kit? Luigi has DA, D-tilt, F-tilt, Garbage Missile and F-throw. DA and Missile is obvious. D-tilt leads into nothing and F-tilt is just a... laggy move that doesn't make sense as Luigi WANTS to KEEP people IN. Both F-tilt and D-tilt send people away from Luigi with little rewards from themselves (Not to mention how trash D-tilt's range is) with little to no followups. Potential disadvantage? They knock people low to the ground, but too far away to actually follow up with anything. F-throw... is just F-throw IDK. Little KO power and no followups aside from DA, but it's the best of those five, if that worth a little.

IDK man. This character just lose to things that shouldn't be beating people in the first place. Some stuffs flow nicely with his character, but when this character's mobility holds those stuffs back it's hard to get yourself the momentum of the match, and the moment you lose your momentum is the moment you start losing. Keepaway game is exceptionally strong against Luigi, but people still refuse to use this strategy somehow.

Just my two cents.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Luigi is feel is a very wierd character. He loses to stuffs that most other characters don't. What top/high tiers loses to hit and run? What character has to actually work quite a bit just to bypass stuffs like Charge Shot? What character can't punish a Falcon F-smash on shield? What character that's so godawful at landing that people can just say s*** and continously smack him? Ganon at least has Wizkick and fat N-air, and the former kills. Luigi has none if you just stay below him. If he's below you or in range of his B-air then he's golden. But get below him and he's a complete wreck.

Also, what 'good' or 'decent' character has FIVE bad moves? By bad moves, I mean can't be worked around much/don't flow into the character's kit? Luigi has DA, D-tilt, F-tilt, Garbage Missile and F-throw. DA and Missile is obvious. D-tilt leads into nothing and F-tilt is just a... laggy move that doesn't make sense as Luigi WANTS to KEEP people IN. Both F-tilt and D-tilt send people away from Luigi with little rewards from themselves (Not to mention how trash D-tilt's range is) with little to no followups. Potential disadvantage? They knock people low to the ground, but too far away to actually follow up with anything. F-throw... is just F-throw IDK. Little KO power and no followups aside from DA, but it's the best of those five, if that worth a little.

IDK man. This character just lose to things that shouldn't be beating people in the first place. Some stuffs flow nicely with his character, but when this character's mobility holds those stuffs back it's hard to get yourself the momentum of the match, and the moment you lose your momentum is the moment you start losing. Keepaway game is exceptionally strong against Luigi, but people still refuse to use this strategy somehow.

Just my two cents.
What would you change with each of those 5 useless moves?

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Is there truly such a thing as a bad throw in Smash 4? I don't mean a bad grab, I mean a bad throw. Like, yeah if you whiff a grab that sucks, but if you're near the ledge and you grab them and want to toss them off-stage, forward throw works with any character no matter how high or low tier they are. Damage varies, and some throws will never kill or combo, but it's not like you get punched in the face for using a regular throw.

I was also thinking about how fascinating it is that you still see Lucinas in tournaments. A lot of people know that Lucina is just generally not as good as Marth, but whether it's waifu loyalty or whatever people are still trying to push forward with her, or at least are willing to use her against actually skilled players. I feel like that potentially says more about the balance of the game than anything else.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Throws still grant positional advantage and some damage even if that's all they get. So throws that do nothing more than that are only bad comparatively speaking. Throws can be redundant or outdone by others, but none are "bad". Although some cases arise where a throw is a bad choice. For example, throwing an enemy towards center stage when you're both at the ledge may net you a loss of stage control or piss away an opportunity to get it. Or down throwing with Robin at like 0% can get you punished on hit by characters with 3 frame nairs.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Is there truly such a thing as a bad throw in Smash 4? I don't mean a bad grab, I mean a bad throw. Like, yeah if you whiff a grab that sucks, but if you're near the ledge and you grab them and want to toss them off-stage, forward throw works with any character no matter how high or low tier they are. Damage varies, and some throws will never kill or combo, but it's not like you get punched in the face for using a regular throw.

I was also thinking about how fascinating it is that you still see Lucinas in tournaments. A lot of people know that Lucina is just generally not as good as Marth, but whether it's waifu loyalty or whatever people are still trying to push forward with her, or at least are willing to use her against actually skilled players. I feel like that potentially says more about the balance of the game than anything else.
Mii Swordfighter's Up throw is overshadowed in everyday by his down throw
damage knockback killing you name it down throw is than up throw about it

FallenHero

Smash Ace

I would say that a bad throw is a throw that doesn't do any decent damage, doesn't kill, or doesn't allow any combos to start. Before they buffed Kirby's d throw to do 10% damage it was probably one of the worst throws in the game. Marth/Lucina also have a pretty horrible f throw and d throw CAN true combo in up air or bair, but it is extremely easy to DI away enough to avoid the up air and bair. There are a lot of other throws in this game I would consider "bad" by my own definition of a bad throw, but I won't mention all of them. Most characters really only have like one or two throws that are actually good.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
In the Luma match-up, there truly are bad throws. If your throw is too laggy (like Marth's back throw), Luma will be able to punish you before you can shield which could lead into a RosaLuma team combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom