• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Shining...Legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
Hi, Im here to discuss something that probably could/should be incorporated into Fox's metagame (maybe if the Fox boards give it a chance >_> ) so you've already knowned that Fox's shines comes out rather quick and ends a little fast, and when connected to an opponent it briefly stuns them and spaces you from them, but have you ever stop to think that there's more to this Shine than meets the eye?

I as a Fox user I've been trying to honestly come up with something that can come into play/use in a offline tournament, Im not sure if you all would use it, but Im pretty sure you Fox mainers been knowned about it for sometime so no Flaming if previously discovered or knowed :[ ,but as I was saying this is the most awesome feature Fox has (imo), does anyone remember the Wave shine in Melee? where you Waveland to your opponent and shined and repeated it to chase your opponent offstage? Fox still has it! but unfortunately in Brawl you can't waveland :( and when the shine animation ends you can't immediately do anything (attack, grab, etc...) but with timing you can successfully buffer a dash and chase your opponent with a Shine! :D

Us Pikachu mainers have the Fthrow chain grab, but now due to some testing offline Fox has a Chain too, "Chain Shining"

for the following statement keep this in mind:

Fox's Chain shining = Pikachu's Fthrow Chain grab

meaning one Shine attack is the equivalent to one Fthrow from Pikachu

Now If anyone is familiar with the timing of Pikachu's Fthrow Chain grab it's EXACTLY like Fox's chain shining except Fox's Shine ends a bit faster so Fox needs a bit more time to react quickly in order successfully Chain shine, I've compared this "Chain" to Pikachu's Fthrow CG because the space/distance that the attack/throw spaces the opponent (distance wise), Same ending lag(?) (Timing/frame wise), almost same hitstun, meaning that it is a most possible definite to chase somebody offstage with this "Chain" and since Fox has the speed to do so it is he is capable, this "Chain" can be done to ALL character onstage but preferably should be done to characters with poor recovery like:

Link
Ganondorf
Ike
Wolf
Falco
Mario
Fox (Ditto)
Bowser
Olimar
Shiek

and so on and so forth, I mainly chose to do it to the characters because a Shine spike is certainly possible after "Chain shining", BTW I've done this offline to a Level 9 Snake, I've successfully chase him offstage with it, things you should know about this "Chain" and alternate variables (Grab, Usmash, etc...) :

The timing to initiate a Dash sequence right after the Shine is VERY difficult, cause sometimes you might do it a little early than what you've should, then Fox either just walks or stands there >.< , I suggest training offline to get the timing down pact

another thing DON'T! tap the analog and then let it go to dash then stop to shine, but rather tap to dash and HOLD IT! then when your at your opponent crouch cancel to shine...much easier :V

There are variables to this chain, assuming that you have the dash timing down you can grab from a shine, that is very true *nods head in approval* lol, know that Fox has the speed to close in and do this, leaving no time for your opponent to react

the window opening for Fox to Dash to Shine is VERY small! very...very..,very @_@, meaning that you Really have to be fast to work that brief hitstun

Jab cancel to shine is a legit way to start it *nods head in approval*

LOL and one more thing, if buffered the dash right on time perfectly and your really fast and flawless at this (and I mean EXTREMELY fast and flawless) than you can really be in your opponents face WHILE! they're still in the stun animation! ZOMG! @_@

easter eggs:

Item Timer and Shine = LOLOLOL fun (that's how I found out if the shine has enough hitstun, you can shine your opponent 2 times with the timer item) with the timer item I came up with the theory that the second consecutive shine hit that registers into a 2-hit combo should = the time it takes to run over to your opponent and shine them again without the item...get it?

oh and I never knew Fox's DACUS has more range then his hyphen Usmash IF! you did it the Shiek way..go figure :/

now let's discuss...and...GO GO GO!

btw have the Fox's boards discussed this "Chain"?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
this has been well discussed in the past but I'm pretty sure it's escapable and and risk is higher than reward but I'm up for being proven wrong.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
you risk side b-ing offstage if you mess it up so at high level play it becomes something that most avoid, its a great technique nonetheless when mastered....my hands are too slow to get it right everytime

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I thought that chain shining had something to do with jump canceling out of a shine to make it unescapable, either way its quite hard to do and doesnt really give much of an advatage

Jenkins

Smash Lord
doesn't work ;P

it can be escaped.

SHINE>SHINE IS, does however, work on the slanted section of yoshi's pipes

Area_6

Smash Journeyman
If you have done it. Make a video i'd like to see it in effect

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX
This chain shinning concept is a good start to of a really fast tech chasing method I use.

Sometimes when I need someone to "move" I initiate this combo

Shine>Grab or Shine> Pivot Wave Grab and occasionally I usually back off and watch how my opponent reacts, and act upon that reaction.

It is possible to chain the shine, (especially if someone isn't expecting it.) but it is EXTREMELY difficult...and if you sometimes might Forward B off the stage, (and that would suck...) I rarely need to use this tech chase, but I pull it out sometimes if I'm in the lead during a match..

DarkAura

Smash Lord
it's possible it could work by catching somebody off guard...

Jab>shine>buffer dash>JUMP SHINE>repeat>Upsmash/Pivot grab/Dash attack/etc...

i honestly don't care if this supposedly is useless im training it anyways, my favourite move has always been foxes shine and iv always wanted something out of it... something that could make it slightly compare to melee's shine.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
havnt i dont enough on this...

shine>shine on flat ground is impossible.

shine>shine on slanter ground can be done.

end of story.

as for jab>shine> dash attackorgrab and a feww other things, yes those are possible

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
BTW if your practicing on CPU's you need to just stop and quit. Everything works on CPU's and none of it is correct. Shielding and Jumping are the 2 options that usually stop stuff like "chain shines" from happening.

Shield is FRAME 1
Jumping is just a all around great option to get out of fake combos and such (keep in mind this game has barely any hitstun, so real true combos are almost impossible)

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Saying that you might accidentally sideB off the stage while doing this is kind of moot; look at pro melee and how often Fox uses shine.

Also, I agree with the whole shine-can't-be-linked-with-another-shine thing. However, shine to boost pivot grab and shine to dash attack seem legit (they might not be but they've worked for me quite a bit).

Quick question about jump cancelled shines: does JCing it cut the lag from the start-up animation or the ending lag animation, or both?

a male platypus

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I've tried it a couple of times but it's too risky for higher level play and not really that effectve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom