• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CASUAL ELITISTS vs COMPETITIVE ELITISTS!!!!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
i play bowser and i'm better than both of you OOOOHHHHHHH SSSSSSSSNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP
(scrub) I'm better than you. Prove me wrong. You can't. You've never played me. Blah blah blah! (/scrub)

Egret

Smash Journeyman
lol u prob just like bowser cause hes strong, little do ya know hes rly rly slow, just tellin u dude

>>
<<

Kazydai

Smash Apprentice
Apparently, if you're a casual player, you have no place in Smashboards. I play pros, but if I choose not to wavedash, that's my deal. There's a difference between scrubs and casuals. I'm a casual and my bro is competitive. I win some, he wins some. We just both have fun.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Apparently, if you're a casual player, you have no place in Smashboards. I play pros, but if I choose not to wavedash, that's my deal. There's a difference between scrubs and casuals. I'm a casual and my bro is competitive. I win some, he wins some. We just both have fun.
WRONG! It's not that casuals have no place on Smashboards. It's that casuals have no place telling competitive players they violate creator's intent, cheat, and don't know how to have fun. You are entitled your own opinion, and no one will hold it against you for choosing not to put the time in to learn advanced techniques. Just don't attempt to inflict your beliefs on others because then Smashboards will hate you.

Kazydai

Smash Apprentice
WRONG! It's not that casuals have no place on Smashboards. It's that casuals have no place telling competitive players they violate creator's intent, cheat, and don't know how to have fun. You are entitled your own opinion, and no one will hold it against you for choosing not to put the time in to learn advanced techniques. Just don't attempt to inflict your beliefs on others because then Smashboards will hate you.
I know, I have an opinion. I don't like wavedashing. I think the pros are cool. I just don't like wavedashing.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Then you are limiting yourself. Just let it be known.
Not necessarily. He is limiting himself from competitive play, sure, but if he doesn't care about competitive play, he is suffering no real limits. If anything, time invested into competitive play limits the rest of us from sunlight. :laugh:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Not necessarily. He is limiting himself from competitive play, sure, but if he doesn't care about competitive play, he is suffering no real limits. If anything, time invested into competitive play limits the rest of us from sunlight. :laugh:
Unless, of course, you practice your techskill outdoors.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Addressing a few points:

1. Who cares if it wasn't "intended?" If you're not allowed to do anything that was unintended, any strategy or combo that wasn't foreseen would be cheating. Your playstyle might've been "unintended," so you could be "cheating."

2. Casual players have a place in SWF, but you have no place here if you can't accept the competitive scene. Telling people on the SWF that tournament rules is stupid is like going to a Korean StarCraft tournament and saying "hurr hurr 1v1 lost temple zerg rush only hurr" and "I only play 8v8 on fastest no rush 20 min."

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Addressing a few points:

1. Who cares if it wasn't "intended?" If you're not allowed to do anything that was unintended, any strategy or combo that wasn't foreseen would be cheating. Your playstyle might've been "unintended," so you could be "cheating."

2. Casual players have a place in SWF, but you have no place here if you can't accept the competitive scene. Telling people on the SWF that tournament rules is stupid is like going to a Korean StarCraft tournament and saying "hurr hurr 1v1 lost temple zerg rush only hurr" and "I only play 8v8 on fastest no rush 20 min."
greenblob, stay out of my brain.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
ooh you gonna need a band-aind for that burn!

on topic, yes, I'm sick and tired of the casual community whining about how the smallest things actually help. yes, L-cancelling is nice, if you can do it, but it's not like your own skill (or lack thereof) can overcome whatever obstacles. Humans are made to adapt and evolve, and failing to do that, in a nutshell, means you fail at being human.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I've tried that. Unless you are under a tree (once again, blocking the sunlight), it is too hard to see the screen. :(
Yes we've masted HDTVs and widescreen but we still cannot beat sunlight XD

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Yes we've masted HDTVs and widescreen but we still cannot beat sunlight XD
We should band together and develop a sun-proof TV! It would be amazing!

And then, when people get tired of us playing video games and tell us to go play outside, we can! Without sun interferance! They will be so pwned! xD

I hide from sunlight... >.> <.<

Sliq

Smash Master
Won't wearing polarized sunglasses remove reflections?

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
I don't like to competetive scence, because I hate taking video games seriously...seriously. O_o
Anyway, I don't like to play pros because of the wavedashing and stuff. Now you might be think, "Oh, you don't like it 'cause they whup ur @$$ with it." But that's not the point.

To me, wavedashing is a glitch, and a glitch is something that's not intended to be there, something that's not listed anywhere in the instruction manual. I mean, whyh do you think they took it out in Brawl? Wavedashing and some other techniques are just glitches that everyone agreed to be able to use.

I, for one, hate glitching. For anyone who's played Metroid Prime: Hunters online, you know what I'm talking about. But say everyone agreed to the Wall Glitch, of all of the Half Turret glitches? Every fight would be Combat Hall, Weavel only, No Affinity Weapons...sound familiar?
http://static-p.arttoday.com/thw/th...926_00/22727777.thw.jpg?010810_0926_0085_l__p

As we've learned from the above link, Scrubs Are Scary.

I can't wavedash, big deal! I'm trying to learn wavedashing, not complain about it. Complaining about it being a glitch is an exuse for being too lazy to actually practice it.

Okay, so say it is actually a glitch. If everyone uses the glitch, it is not a glitch anymore. If everyone has an advantage, there is no advantage. Enough said.

Smash Ace
Oh, I think that it is still a glitch even if everyone uses it (by some definitions, and not by others). I don't have anything against glitches. I like glitches, I play with glitches in other games (the tech glitch in Tales of Symphonia comes to mind), although I don't wavedash.

Seriously, if competitive players are having fun with the glitch, that's good for them! Who really cares? If you start calling people names because they play a freaking video game differently than you, then you are a jerk. If you insist that wavedashing is/isn't a glitch and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong, you are a jerk. I don't see why it matters. If you head over to a tournament and then get upset because people there are playing by tournament standards then, well, you are a jerk. By the same token, if you decide to go to a party and pwn n00bs with your competitive skillz, well, you are a jerk too!

Everyone should stop being jerks. I can hope, can't I?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
IT'S NOT A ****ING GLITCH GTFO NOOB!!!

just kidding :laugh: but saying that any advanced tech is a "glitch", or even mentioning the word "glitch" in a casual v competitive discussion is just asking for flames and argument.

just so you know. lol

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
And here I thought this topic was finally dying...

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know, and it seems so silly. I mean, anyone who actually cares that some people use glitches is just being a jerk. That's a bigger issue than it being or not being a glitch in the first place.

Barnacules

Smash Cadet
My message to casuals:
Whenever you get beat by a competitive player, or even just watch them play, instead of declaring that they are cheating, being cheap, etc. ask them to teach you to do that. IMO, "competitive" play is way more fun than playing "casually", and I'm not saying you have to like it, just that you should try it.

Smash Ace
Or, you know, don't ask them if you don't want to play competitively. Whatever. Just don't declare that they are cheating.

PS: if you're having a party in a clearly casual environment, competitives, follow casual rules. Don't laser spam, don't wavedash. Just like you insist on your rules at tournaments, casual parties might insist on their rules. Follow them or don't play. You have every right to tell a casual player who turns up at a competitive tournament and complains because everyone is "cheating" the same: follow our rules or don't play.

I

i8waffles612

I love you Gimpy!
In Melee, I didnt play competitively at ALL.
Ima try to start playing competitively in Brawl

:D

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
I completely agree that both sides need to settle there differences and just enjoy playing the game in whatever way they choose.

However, Smashboards is still the primary hangout for competitive players. Talk about Advanced Techniques is normal discourse around here, and the new scene of players need to realize that\'s not going to change.

Right now it is WAY too hard to maintain a discussion even somewhat related to AT without some idiot derailing the thread into another casual competitive debate.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
It's actually better that they resurrect a dead topic than start a new one on the same topic. If they wanna discuss it, they did the right thing.

Top Bottom