• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CASUAL ELITISTS vs COMPETITIVE ELITISTS!!!!

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
lol seriously i dont understand how many of you can be SO harsh to the other side, play the game how you want and have fun doing it. competitive players have fun playing competitively, casual players have fun playing matches with their friends w/o anything on the line.

Stop being ridiculous everyone.

the fact that somebody doesn't bother learning how to l cancel doesn't make them a bad human being, just like the fact that soembody wavedashes doesn't make them a bad human being.

basically...

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
As long as no one tries to tell me how I should be playing I'm fine.

Off topic: When are you going to get Pit and Ike's character impressions up Gimpy?

Hong

The Strongest
lol seriously i dont understand how many of you can be SO harsh to the other side, play the game how you want and have fun doing it. competitive players have fun playing competitively, casual players have fun playing matches with their friends w/o anything on the line.

Stop being ridiculous everyone.

the fact that somebody doesn't bother learning how to l cancel doesn't make them a bad human being, just like the fact that soembody wavedashes doesn't make them a bad human being.

basically...

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!
hey how do u start teh gaem

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Thank you, Gimpyfish. I just don't like it when people start whining about wavedashing and competitive players that they'll never play against in their lives. Just play how you want to. That's Smash. :)

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
lol, I second that

P.S.

Don't beg gimpy at every waking moment about updating and what not, im sure he'd want you to do that in the thread made for that ^^

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
In defense of the competitive community, we never stage attacks unprovoked on the casual community. Sure, heated debates go back in forth within respective threads, but the casual community drew first blood. They are the ones saying to us, "You people take the game too seriously! I bet you would lose without your precious wavedasing and L-canceling! Brawl is going to rock, and we are going to beat you!" We are only defending ourselves from their horrible logical fallacies.

My message to the casual community: convince your friends to play casually. Find people who do not play the game often enough to become advanced players. Do not come out here and tell the rest of the world that we are in the wrong for taking the game to a whole new level. What did we ever do to you?

CrenTIScO

Smash Apprentice
This is a very noble thread. I'm tired of seeing all this rudeness and disrespect when they don't play a game "the right way". I am so thankful that smash brothers was created, and I enjoy playing it every time I pick up the controller, and I hate that hard feelings are created from disagreement of gameplay.

Sportsmanship.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
"Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends...?"

I don't like really get into any arguments but it seems that each side is right in their own ways. As long as you have fun and win, who cares? I have played both Casual and competitive and it seems to me competitive is much more fun. Not saying that they haven't but..maybe casual should try competitive and see if they like it. All competitive players have had to be casual once and I'm not sure if it is vice versa.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
maybe casual should try competitive and see if they like it. All competitive players have had to be casual once and I'm not sure if it is vice versa.
I believe this makes the point better than anything said so far.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
It took 3 weeks to turn casual into competitive and I haven't even reach a year of experience yet... I turned my six year experienced casual friends into competitive players after me turning into a competitive player... Right now, they are dorming at a college and they are converting casuals over there into competitive players... All in all, you can't escape the fact that once you step into this board, you'll find yourself playing competitively than ever before...

SmirkySmirker

Smash Rookie
I don't understand why people call themselves "competitive" or "hardcore" when it comes to Smash Bros.

I see where they are coming from if they have been in tournaments, and have come in the top 3, then they can call themselves hardcore, but if they're just kids who sit in their room all day practicing "wavedashing" etc. then that's just pathetic.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I don't understand why people call themselves "competitive" or "hardcore" when it comes to Smash Bros.

I see where they are coming from if they have been in tournaments, and have come in the top 3, then they can call themselves hardcore, but if they're just kids who sit in their room all day practicing "wavedashing" etc. then that's just pathetic.
And no one does that all day. Just takes a couple hours. Oh, and competitive players do exist. They play to win and have fun doing it, too. I'm one of them. :)

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Actually, depending on who I'm playing, I adapt my play style. I'm not gonna go all out with wd/sffle/mindgames on someone who just wants to have fun. About the being friendly no matter what side you're on, *both* sides are guilty of totally unneccesary attacks, ideas, and accusations, then again.... this is a forum, so it's kind of expected. People just need to ignore someone when they know they're just flaming them or being way too agressive, condescending, or opinionated to keep the convorsation friendly.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Thank you for saying that Gimpyfish. I will admit now that I am not a competitive player, but I applaud the competitive community anyway for working hard to become really good at Smash, and for enjoying themselves while doing it.

There have been harsh words thrown from both sides, casual and competitive.

Although I will admit, it doesn't come from the competitive side very often. More often than not its a n00b that starts whining about wavedashing and calling advanced techs "glitches" (which I am sick of hearing), and I am often times ashamed to call myself a casual player with such boneheads flooding these boards. Just know that you'll never hear such crap from me.

Can't we all just get along? Let's eat cookies and pizza, play Smash and have a good time, k everyone? Competitive Smashers can fight at blinding speed with nothing but the skill in their own styles while us casuals can make the fights as random and wacky as possible. There is a point to all this rambling, and it is....

THERE IS NO RIGHT WAY TO PLAY SUPER SMASH BROS.

Play it how you want, have have a d*** awesome time doing it.

Percon

Smash Lord
Good thread, thanks a lot, Gimpy. I agree 100%. But it's like science and religion, so I doubt it'll ever truly go away...

Also, while I'm at it, good job making that sticky about tiers (not sure how long it's been up, just seen it now). Way to set everyone straight yet again.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Actually, depending on who I'm playing, I adapt my play style. I'm not gonna go all out with wd/sffle/mindgames on someone who just wants to have fun.
Define fun. Oh, that's right. Fun is subjective. You must mean when the person just wants to fool around. You can go ahead and have that mindset if you'd like.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
:D Somehow, I think my objectivist statements have influenced the creation of this thread.

Indifference ftw!

Sigh, if only people were capable of actually understanding what I said. Oh well, indifference ftw! :p

And indeed, I give props to your contributions Gimpy. 'Tis greatly appreciated.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Well the way I see it we have a new game to play here and if you wanna win youll do what you can to be the best, and if you just wanna relax and play you'll have to accept that people with more determination will beat you. But that doesn't make your style of play wrong.

Also off the bat I think we should have the items on but I pray to god the boxes dont blow up.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
items will never return to competitive gameplay (with a possible exception of smashball on tourneys, if we can even turn them off that is)

but this is not the thread to discuss that

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Well the way I see it we have a new game to play here and if you wanna win youll do what you can to be the best, and if you just wanna relax and play you'll have to accept that people with more determination will beat you. But that doesn't make your style of play wrong.

Also off the bat I think we should have the items on but I pray to god the boxes dont blow up.
Who are you and what have you done wih Dylan_Tnga.

Cenedar

Smash Ace

Well said. And I think the boxes still might blow up, but you'll know if they will because they'll have a big sign with a flame or CAUTION on it. At least that's what I've heard.

Zink

Smash Champion
see everyone can get along when gimpy makes the topic ^_^ *it's only cuz they want you to update lol*
also, Dylan, what are you DOING man, far too nice.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
Thanks gimpyfish, I'm 100% behind you.

It doesn't matter who first "drew blood" so to speak, what matters is that we have a constructive and friendly smash community for all.

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
Keep in mind people, in all of these heated debates flying all over the place, people forget what Brawl is....What is it? A videogame, something that is just meant to be fun and to be played however someone chooses it to be played. Just have fun with it, seriously, it's just a game.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Who are you and what have you done wih Dylan_Tnga.
I dunno, I got better at smash. I care less about wavedashing because I proved myself at a tournament recently and realized that a lot of the time, the simple things at the right time are what sepperate a good player, from a crappy player. And with low tiers even to the extent of pichu and roy I can now destroy people with bad mindgames and lousy DI (most people) who show up at the montreal bi-weeklies.

Also, cancelling lag from aerials is in brawl. That's one I really was hoping for and it's back. Wavedashing can stay in melee I DONT CARE. NOT AT -ALL- anymore. Ill just find a new way to get you!

Anyway, I don't think there's any reason for anyone to fight over this. Play to win, or don't. Just try to enjoy yourself and for the love of god don't whine about every little thing.

Idfection

Smash Apprentice

*is dumbfounded*

What the? how did you do it, Gimpy? One post, and now all of a sudden all the people arguing in a thread nearby are talking peace?

Impressive.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
I have no problems with casuals, but I sure will make them suck my tray eight if they force me to play with the Items.

Shoot them multiple times in the face.

Then knee them. And then unleash the Fresh Prince of Persia on their as***.

Dammit Gimpy I will get revenge....

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
hmph.

anyways, glad ya'll are calmed down a little bit, maybe now i can go close that other topic for being ridiculously flame filled.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
My only problem with casual players is when they start calling people pathetic, sad, or that they have no life.

What is the god dammed problem in trying as hard as you can to be the best in something you love?, Im ok if people want to play with items on, or if people dont want to spend hours practicing perfect shffls, angle perfect wavedashes, perfect spacing, etc., etc. But i do have a problem when those people try to diss the people that do practice all of that calling them sad, pathetic, or other things.

That does annoy me a lot, other than that, i dont care, play the game however you want to, its all about having fun... YOUR OWN DEFINITION OF FUN

Stryks

Smash Hero
I dunno, I got better at smash. I care less about wavedashing because I proved myself at a tournament recently and realized that a lot of the time, the simple things at the right time are what sepperate a good player, from a crappy player. And with low tiers even to the extent of pichu and roy I can now destroy people with bad mindgames and lousy DI (most people) who show up at the montreal bi-weeklies.

Also, cancelling lag from aerials is in brawl. That's one I really was hoping for and it's back. Wavedashing can stay in melee I DONT CARE. NOT AT -ALL- anymore. Ill just find a new way to get you!

Anyway, I don't think there's any reason for anyone to fight over this. Play to win, or don't. Just try to enjoy yourself and for the love of god don't whine about every little thing.
Wait arent u the one that said that wasnt gonna buy brawl cause of lack of Wavedash?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Pretty much yeah, when I really was convinced that no wavedashing would make me NOT BUY brawl, that was about 9 months ago. Since then I have avidly hoped for cancelling lag on aerial attacks and its back. I cant complain about anything else in the game bring on the smash, theres new techniques and some good old ones so lets just turn it on already!

EDIT :

I also think that melee will continue to be played on the sidelines, as it appears to be a highly different game, but I among other people I am sure wish to keep having some tournaments to test out our skills in a now CLASSIC *sniff* game! :p

overly dramatic but wtv. Viva la melee

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
NO! we all cant just cant get along. this is there war that they started. im not going down or stopping untill every casual is DESTROYED!!!!!

:

Foe

Smash Journeyman
Most likely at the bigger or even regular sized tournaments Melee will be played as an extra tourney. Just like Pokemon was at SCC.

Top Bottom