• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Ok I'll bite. Tell me how Captain Planet can possibly beat Aku. Because when we played him, we collectively decided that next to toiletnator, he was the second worst character in the game.

Here is an example of every match against Aku there will ever be:

http://youtu.be/0uLDnSLMRFg

And here's an Aku glitch we found that makes him even better:

http://youtu.be/2-zO4KryGLQ
That Aku glitch doesn't make him better because it's highly unlikely you'll have an opportunity to use it properly in a match. Any moment not spent using his laser pressure is an easier opening for the opponent. I've experimented with this glitch plenty, and it doesn't really grant anything advantageous to Aku. Just an aesthetic thing.

Any who, the reason why CP can beat Aku is because his SideB allows him to dash across the screen very quickly, in and out of harm's way. If you land right in Aku's hurtbox, you can keep pressure on him with out of shield jabs and grabs, and whatever else. Same with everyone else I listed. They're just too fast for Aku.

I noticed not once did your opponent even put up his shield in that match, though. Did you know if you air dodge during the first frames of your jump into the ground and into shield, your shield does not minimize, even if you are attacked? You can keep repeating this, too. Inevitably, Aku will have to approach in order to get damage because of this. Hopping laser is a losing game for Aku. UpB is way better if you're going to spam anything.

Jawsome

Smash Apprentice
Worse than Flapjack? What is this madness? Flapjack has the best counter of any fighting game due to the game developers not knowing what grabs were for (try grabbing him while he's countering and you'll still get hit. It's not so bad with Aku because, well, lasers go through everything, but with close range characters it's another story). Also Flapjacks got a good Final Smash.
Flapjack's Counter is somewhat useful but it's still kinda bad. It deals good damage, IF every hit of the counter hits, besides that it's just a goofy gimmicky attack. Anyone that tries to grab him if he's countering in this game learns quick that it doesn't work. Samurai Jack's Counter is way better imo. Flapjack IS the worst character in the game, which saddens me because I wanted to main him, but he's to bad. It'd be like maining Ganon, but worse. I'm not bad with him, but he's bad haha. As far as Aku goes he's not as broken as you claim him to be. There are ways to get around his lasers, one way stated above, but there are characters that I think have an even if not positive matchup against him.

Milun

Smash Ace
See, this is the point I'd challenge you to a battle, but we can't do that. Which version are you playing? Because I'm starting to suspect the PS3 version is the one where everything isn't broken.

Jawsome

Smash Apprentice
I do in fact play the PS3 version

And also of course we can play, you just have to take a quick flight to the states and we'll get a couple matches in :yeahboi:

Milun

Smash Ace
I don't know about your wild wacky action Kentucky PS3's, but here in Australia the accepted fact is that Aku is better than everything. Clearly whoever lost to Dexter either didn't Laser or Up-B enough.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
implying australia is a great source for competitive fighting game data

loool

On a real note though, your home boy didn't shield once, and it was on Final Boss, which gives Aku an advantage being that there are two platforms at the edge of the stage and it's a smaller stage. Go to a bigger stage like KND3 and try an air dodge or shielding. OmG u Jus MaY BeEt It NeXt TimE (ExpLOSion!).

Also, since Dexter's Nair is wildly disjointed, so UpB won't counter hit it, and it also nullifies laser - which I've addressed before in this thread.

Milun

Smash Ace
Timic, I propose we play 10 matches. Let Kentucky and it's supreme wackiness tell us exactly what characters and stages to choose against my Aku. Also, I haven't beaten this guy in Melee in about a year, so the chances of him just playing badly are minimal.

Milun

Smash Ace
'Tis but a joke.

But I'm serious. We will record ten matches depending on your or someone elses specifications and see if Aku loses even once. But at least one match must have Captain planet, Dexter, and Father, since 'We can't believe they're not low tier'. We will both try our hardest.

Jawsome

Smash Apprentice
'Tis but a joke.

But I'm serious. We will record ten matches depending on your or someone elses specifications and see if Aku loses even once. But at least one match must have Captain planet, Dexter, and Father, since 'We can't believe they're not low tier'. We will both try our hardest.
I agree with you that Father is low tier, but Dexter and Captain Planet not so much. I should have some videos recorded after this weekend that I will post. They won't be of Aku though, because we don't have a good Aku around here yet. But I believe , by watching Cat's gameplay footage even if it is just CPU's, that he knows enough about the matchup and how to play the game decently. Even if there is somehow miraculous differences between the PS3 and Wii version I don't believe Aku is as broken as you say he is. Show us footage of a good match with someone that is halfway competent of getting around lasers and I might believe you.

Milun

Smash Ace
I'd wager a bet that Timic is a good Smash player in general, and he could get around lasers (though not in the match I uploaded. That was there to comically show just how many times I use lasers in a match).

Splice

Smash Hero
Cat Fight said:
implying australia is a great source for competitive fighting game data

loool
Why are you insulting a whole country, when you are only venting on one person? I for one don't even know you, yet you have insulted me. What the ****, man? Why would you do that?

@Milun
Dexter isn't low tier, the others are definitely trash though. Dexter is mid tier.

btw Milton, if you do this after a week, I'll come over too to fill in as the "secondary aku" and also "secondary smash player who is better than Milun". Or we could just play Skullgirls now that that's out
:D

Busy for the next 9 days though.

Milun

Smash Ace
Oh yeh, definitely. Aku dittos will be the best. A battle of who mashes B faster. Or I could just use Captain Planet to beat your Aku, or Toiletnator. They're so good with their moves. You may beat me in Smash, but with Captain Planet my advantage over you is almost unfair.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Why are you insulting a whole country, when you are only venting on one person? I for one don't even know you, yet you have insulted me. What the ****, man? Why would you do that?

@Milun
Dexter isn't low tier, the others are definitely trash though. Dexter is mid tier.
Over your head, dawg. But dang, didn't know Blossom was trash. I've learned so much in this thread the past couple days. My game 'bout ta be on point!

I just don't think ten matches between the two of you is gonna prove anything because you aren't yet aware of all the general and character specific tech available (so it seems).

On Foster's 1, from the middle of the stage, Dexter can jab > forward throw > Nair > dash attack > shield grab X up to 60% or until the opponent is in either doorway (I think it actually only takes one rep to reach the door). After that, wall of pain Nair just kills them because it takes up the whole height of the doorway and the opponent can't escape without rolling into a grab > forward throw.

Aku is good on big stages but he's easy to overwhelm with quick characters. K'nuckles can hide behind his clones all day if he wanted to, or the opposite, keep Aku in an enclosed area.

And Blossom just pees all over that dark flame head.

:phone:

Milun

Smash Ace
My friend frequently uses Blossom in attempts to beat my Aku. Either he's just bad at the game, or Aku is extremely easy to use.

Splice

Smash Hero
Over your head, dawg. But dang, didn't know Blossom was trash. I've learned so much in this thread the past couple days. My game 'bout ta be on point!
I was referring to Miluns post which did not even make mention of Blossom, you clearly lack comprehension of this. As one of the two people who made the original Australian revision of the tier list, you can see I put Blossom like second or third (cbf checking)

Your sarcastic insults are misplaced. I don't understand why you are so mean.

You are also very stubborn, so responding to you about actual game theory (in regards to the rest of the stuff you posted) would be pointless. I will however agree that if anyone can beat Aku it's probably Blossom. I bet you liked that didn't you! I pretty much agreed with you!
w3w......

@Milun: Aku is really easy to use but Timic cannot play Blossom well. you would probably lose to Redact even though he hasn't played for months. I never learnt the 10-hit Ice Lock, but I will try to show you Blossom's assets.
Timic is worse at this game AND smash then you give him credit for, lol. He's only good when he's the one abusing the gay and easy ****, not when he has to deal with it from others.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
Good lord, you guys. Theres no need for such petty insults.

Aku is good. Very, very good. Possibly the best character in the game. He is indeed very easy to play. But he's really not that hard to beat if you know what you're doing. For example, he's extremely easy to outcamp with several characters. I've never lost a game against Aku using Billy&Mandy or Ben 10. Aku can keep away all he likes, but Ben/B&M will always be on the winning end. For every 4% laser they shoot at me, I shoot a fireball/booger, which do 10% each. If they stop to shield it, I get to advance on them. I get to them eventually with a large percent lead, and you don't want to be close to Ben 10 or especially Billy&Mandy.

Whoever said that they couldn't beat Aku with Blossom, you're doing it wrong. Blossom's amazing mobility makes it fairly easy for her to get in on Aku, and once she gets in, you're probably going to lose your stock.

Finally, Dexter is not low tier, in any way. That being said, he's most certainly not top tier. Because so many people play him, his metagame is quite developed. As for Captain Planet, I never believed he was high tier, that was S2's idea. A character that hits hard, gimps well, and has infinite horizontal recovery (as well as great vertical recovery) is not low tier. Father is probably low tier, though. Our initial analysis overrated him massively, in my opinion. We first thought him High tier, but moved him to mid because of the large amount of better characters. He's probably going low next time, though

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm just not good at this game but arcade mode on Hard mode is bs, the assist trophy characters the cpu gets is overpowered and I get crappy assist characters when I get one, then there's assist characters that I get that knock me out.

Splice

Smash Hero
Good lord, you guys. Theres no need for such petty insults.
Apart from beginning your post by insulting the quality of my insults (which offended me greatly) ...

I agree with everything else you said.

@Xanthan: it's funny I don't even know what the assists do, I think I've used like 4 while unlocking characters, and now only play with items off.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Apart from beginning your post by insulting the quality of my insults (which offended me greatly) ...

I agree with everything else you said.

@Xanthan: it's funny I don't even know what the assists do, I think I've used like 4 while unlocking characters, and now only play with items off.
The assists are ? mark blocks that call on other characters. I would set them to "off" but I don't think I can do that for arcade mode. Oh well, I already unlocked all the chars and stages so I guess I'll just play standard matches with no items when friends come over.

Milun

Smash Ace
Ok, assists are the single worst thing about this game for the following reason:

At random, when getting an assist if it "matches" (see: "has nothing to do with") your character it turns it into a Final Smash instead (and this happens at complete random). Why I hate it though is that Timic and I went through every character, and Captain Planets one is literally a reskin of Johny Bravos.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
What can I say, the programmers were not very thorough with building the game. We're just doing the best with what we're given (but assists and items are bad)

Splice

Smash Hero
It's not really that much of a different story for brawl :p

Does Sold2 still play? :c

Milun

Smash Ace
Found yet another glitch for Aku. When falling through a platform and lasering, the laser will shoot vertically up. If only there was a way to combine the laser with his Up-B... I would be the greatest player of PTE in the WORLD!

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
None of us here in KY have played PTE much recently. Between Brawl and end-of-semester loads of work, we haven't been playing. Combine that with the fact that most of us now play UMvC3, and we're getting into Skullgirls, PTE in Kentucky isn't looking very good

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I am now an official owner of the game (Wii version) instead of playing it via Game Fly.:awesome:

Maybe I'm just not good at this game but arcade mode on Hard mode is bs, the assist trophy characters the cpu gets is overpowered and I get crappy assist characters when I get one, then there's assist characters that I get that knock me out.
I haven't played arcade on hard but the computers can be pretty annoying, even on easy. It's true, if your opponent grabs an Assist Cube, you're completely screwed. What really gets me upset is the 1v3 match near the end: I have to retry that match countless times due to being outmatched. In order to beat cheap opponents, you pretty much yourself need to be cheap.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I still "play"... every freaking 2 weeks or something, haha.

edit: mfw there's actually quite a bit of talk in this thread wtf. It doesn't matter because you're all wrong about opinions anyways or something.

Also I apologize for Captain Planet being where he is, realistically he should be bottom of high/top of mid. We need to move some things around on the tier list and I'm not sure where he'll be left. He's still a very good character and in a vacuum he belongs where I put him, it's just freaking impossible to really use him well.

Splice

Smash Hero
@AppleJack:
nah don't worry about it, if you guys are playing skullgirls now that's much better :p
<3 <3 <3

UMvC3 meh

PTE died at the start of this year in Aus as well, I just randomly checked this thread 3 days ago, that's why I am posting. I've played it about 3 times this year.

Milun and Timic are the only ones who still play so it sounds but they are trash
Btw Milton Aku Lazer Up when he is below platform is pretty situational, between his UpB and horizontal lazer there is not much room where Upward Lazer is better.

Ohaiyay it's Sold2!
One day I would like to see this Kentucky C.FalconPlanet.
Redact and I honestly thought he felt terrible, even after about 15 games of trying to make him awesome.

Yazz

Smash Apprentice
so i got the game. me and my gf messed around with it for a while (us both being pretty decent smashers.) K'nuckles is amazing. Samurai Jack *****. Captain planet is pretty good. aku is...aku. theres a lot more. ill post that later. but yeah.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
so i got the game. me and my gf messed around with it for a while (us both being pretty decent smashers.) K'nuckles is amazing. Samurai Jack *****. Captain planet is pretty good. aku is...aku. theres a lot more. ill post that later. but yeah.
Yeah, Samurai Jack is probably one of my favorite characters.

Yazz

Smash Apprentice
Jack has some really nice combos. ive found grabs to be very useful. also, ive found out that crouch canceling works. im not positive tho. im going to test it more. i may record some mtches this weekend or something and post them, not sure tho.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Crouching is goofy as heck in this game. It takes wayyyyyyyyyy too long, and it's unfortunate because Blossom's Dtilt is too good.

Anyways, next month at my Brawl tourney I'm gonna be holding a CNPTEXL side event. Basically just offering money to anyone that can beat me. This should provide some decent footage from a variety of characters.

In a couple weeks I'll be participating in a $50 entry gaming league where one player picks three games and the other picks three and you play each other to see who wins. CNPTEXL will be one of my games and I'm paying against a Smash player so that should be fun.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
That gaming league thing sounds like such free money when you're good at obscure games like this freaking thing.

Also I agree so much about crouching. It's really difficult to make use of d-tilts in this game because you have to be really careful not to d-smash but if you're not quick or not buffering it out of junk you have to go through the crouching animation. For anybody who hasn't seen it, Scottsman's d-tilt is freaking godlike. It's kind of like meta-knight's d-tilt... except with Scottsman's sword and a little slower.

Top Bottom