• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This game is more faithful than Playstation All Star Battle in that the characters actually recieve more knockback the more damage they take and the primary goal is to knock the opponent off of the stage.
The Hazards in this game are just downright impossible to avoid. Thankfully there is a feature to turn them off. My only complaint is that Rolling causes you to roll off of platforms instead of stopping at the edge. Otherwise it is a very faithful smash bros. clone. After about an hour I turned the voices off too as they tend to repeat their only line over and over again.
I was NOT expecting Captain Planet. Trust me his entrance will make you laugh yer arse off and sh#$ bricks. Which you'll probably do uncontrollably due to you're sudden lack of buttock.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'd like to see a sequel too with heavier gravity, 3 times the knockback,
and maybe The Edds? I mean c'mon you could play the three individual Powerpuff Girls but
not Ed, Edd, or Eddy? And what was with Billy and Mandy teaming up?
It seemed like a lot of this game's inspiration was taken from the Billy and Mandy fighting game, at least the items were. And the Item's have set spawn points which is good from a competitive standpoint I suppose but (and I know most people are against it) I'd like to see the Items appear in random locations like in smash bros.
Seriously if ya liked this game, check this one out. It's for the Gamecube and they remade it for the Wii too...for some reason.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Haven't play the game yet, but after reading thread, It seems more interesting. Maybe I should buy it.

Should I expect this game(as well as PASBR) the "Brawl+" Treatment?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I haven't heard many good things from this game, but I do like three things from what I've heard:
1) The story mode has you play through levels based on the cartoons, which is how it should have been in Brawl.
2) The last costume for each character is a reference to the cartoon they are from, which is really cool.
3) Captain Planet. And one of his costumes is Captain Pollution!

I have been interested in this game, should I shill out some money for it?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The official Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion Facebook page made a post today on the chances of a PTE 2:
Hi Guys, sorry that we have been away for a while. We wanted to communicate with you guys, but there were some obstacles that were preventing us from reaching out to you. Anyway, a lot of people asked if there would be PTE 2. There were a lot of talks and discussions, but unfortunately we are not working on it at this time. We really hope to make it one day, for us and for all of you. Thank you for all of your support.
At least they didn't say no. I wonder what were the "obstacles" they are talking about? (Perhaps working on a different game).

@Bionichute: I for one really enjoy this game. It doesn't have anywhere near as much content as Melee or Brawl (it definitely has more content than Smash 64 though), but the mechanics are REALLY faithful to the Smash games and makes a great distraction waiting for Smash 4. Qualitiy could've been higher but you'll enjoy it if you don't have your expectations to high. And it's also in bargain bins so you can get it cheap (I got mine brand new for $20).

@asia_catdog_blue: It you're talking about that it should be hacked to be much more balanced/enjoyable than it is now (which I would totally support), we would first have to greatly hack the game as we don't have any tools specific to that game. And for its lack of known Gecko OS codes isn't helping really (not to mention not many people seem to have an interest in this game yet.) But who knows?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I still play this game from time to time, but of course, the lack of online is what kills it for me mostly, as I have NOBODY to play this with other than my GF.

I mostly play Smash Up nowdays (even instead of Brawl). It has a short and sucky roster, but heck.. I love the gameplay mechanics. (At least more than PTE's), and it has online (even though only a very few people play this online).

There's a lot of things I like about PTE, mostly the roster and the creative movesets.

I main Captain Planet because I grew up with that cartoon. I love how he has moves that feel very Captain Falcon-esque (TEH KNEE). I also like Aku, and Monkey. Flapjack IMO is bottom tier. I just can't find any usefulness in that character. XD

Mattardis

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3578-9994-4381
I bought this game a couple days ago. I main him, scottsman, captain planet an k'nuckles. My cousin said something while we played: lthey should make a sequel called "punch time explosion 2 CN vs nicktoons" "
I immediatly imagined doug funnie beating up ben 10 and laughed. Anyone else think this could work?

:phone:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I bought this game a couple days ago. I main him, scottsman, captain planet an k'nuckles. My cousin said something while we played: lthey should make a sequel called "punch time explosion 2 CN vs nicktoons" "
I immediatly imagined doug funnie beating up ben 10 and laughed. Anyone else think this could work?

I severely doubt Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon will work together in any shape or form as so such thing has happened in the past and no sign of it in the future. And I'm not sure who actually owns Doug as both Nickelodeon and then Disney have made episodes of the show so I doubt Doug will ever be in much Nickelodeon media due to this. Plus I don't like the sound of a Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon crossover mostly at all as they are totally different breeds.

I'm sorry for sounding like I'm looking down at you but I have a habit of being realistic.

smashfan666

Smash Cadet
NNID
NobelSmashington
3DS FC
2981-8328-3883

sadly, Doug is now owned by Disney :c

though i'd love to beat others senseless with Zim >:D

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
If anyone here will be in attendance at Otakon and wants to see why Dexter is so good, hmu!

Had to sell my 360, so I've been playing the 3DS version.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Great to see this thread being remembered. I have been playing the 3DS version again lately too and been itching to play my Wii version again (that, and my brother took both our Melee & Brawl games to college and I'm not in the mood for Smash 64).

I still wish someone would make a mod for the Wii game like they did with Brawl+ or Project M to make this game better (it's still good as is but it could be better). Plus I'd love to download the game's soundtrack (only one person uploaded the incomplete library of song on YouTube but his account has been terminated and can't find any other place with the OST).

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Great to see this thread being remembered. I have been playing the 3DS version again lately too and been itching to play my Wii version again (that, and my brother took both our Melee & Brawl games to college and I'm not in the mood for Smash 64).

I still wish someone would make a mod for the Wii game like they did with Brawl+ or Project M to make this game better (it's still good as is but it could be better). Plus I'd love to download the game's soundtrack (only one person uploaded the incomplete library of song on YouTube but his account has been terminated and can't find any other place with the OST).
it would be great if they moded this game cause some characters are extremely underpowered by comparison to certain fighters. i just dont think there's a big enough fanbase for this game for anyone to put in that time. what i want is a sequel. adding Adventure Time, Generator Rex and Regular Show and adding characters like Rook or Mandark. there's also a number of characters i dont wanna see anymore honestly lol

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Thinking about getting this game for Wii or 3DS. Is it worth it? I'm a Melee player if it helps any bit.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Thinking about getting this game for Wii or 3DS. Is it worth it? I'm a Melee player if it helps any bit.
I have both the 3DS & Wii game and it doesn't truly matter if you're a 64 guy, Melee guy, or Brawl guy as the the physics are unique. If you know how to play a Super Smash Bros. game then then you know EXACTLY how to play this game (unlike PSAS or TMNT Smash-Up). And just to let you know that the Wii version has a lot more content than the 3DS game (but if you want a Smash Bros.-like game on a handheld while you wait for Smash for 3DS, then it's still not a bad investment. Heck, I still play the crap of the 3DS game even today). Here is some stuff that the Wii game (and PS3 & X360) has that the 3DS lacks:

- 8 more characters
- 6 more stages
- Arcade Mode (don't expect it to be as deep as Smash's Classic Mode)
- Training Mode
- Some extra tweaks to the story mode
- 7 more assist characters (though 4 from the 3DS game were taken out due to turning into playable characters)
- A new move: Synergy (a special move where you grab an Assist Cube and have the chance of teaming up with an assist character to make a Final Smash like move. Varies by character)
- Unlockable alt outfit for each character (using in-game points, no DLC)
- Two special modes (not that great really)
- 30 unlockable TV clips from the characters' shows (not that in high quality and sometimes chooses odd times to end the clip though)

The Wii game does have some cheats you can put in if you're too lazy to unlock everything. Do note if you use these codes on the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 you'll lose the ability to earn Trophies or Achievements (since the Wii lacks these there are no consequences for this version). Here are the codes if you're interested:

MISSY - Unlocks the 5 stages from the store for free
MONSTER - Unlocks all alternate costumes for every character
OSCAR - Unlocks the 8 characters from the store for free
RUFUS - Unlocks all 30 TV clips from the store for free
SUMO - Unlocks all characters and stages you'd normally unlock from Story Mode

Just some things that you should be aware of too:
- No DLC
- No online
- No team battle mode
- Can't have stock & time on at the same time
- Custom controls aren't as flexible as Brawl's (but still not too bad)
- Finishing a battle takes you back to the main menu rather than the character select screen
- You have to use the grab button to pick up an items and certain actions (standard attack won't work on this).
- Punch Time Explosion (what they call Final Smash) you don't use the B Button to activate but a different button (touch screen for the 3DS)
- Menu layout/setup is a little messy
- One of the control buttons includes switching out characters in Story Mode. This button is useless everywhere else and the game won't let you have it off on custom controls so you're stuck with it.
- Wii and 3DS games have multiple save files while PS3 & X360 uses gamer profiles
- Voice acting can get annoying sometimes as some characters lack their original voice actors and/or scream (but you can turn off voices if it's too much. The Wii version did get a few but not all of the original voices actors back that the 3DS version lacked.)
- Pretty good humor from the announcer (George Lowe) and the story mode.

Sure, it's not a perfect game and could use some polish but it's not as bad as some people make it out to say and the creators did a surprisingly well done job of copying Smash.

GameStop has them for really cheap too. You can get the 3DS game $20 new ($15 used) and the Wii game $15 new ($13 used).

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
The game, never heard about it till today.
ah well its one of those games thats decent if ur a cartoon buff. if ur not... well the game kind of sucks in all honesty cause movement is awkward sometimes and it's unbalanced as hell. that's why i wish there was a sequel so they could fix all of those problems.

keyzuna

Smash Rookie
Does anyone still play this?
I bought it recently to spend some time waiting for the new smashbros on wiiU..

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Does anyone still play this?
I bought it recently to spend some time waiting for the new smashbros on wiiU..
I still play it a good bit from time to time (both Wii & 3DS games). Just yesterday I whipped out the 3DS version to occupy myself while I wait for my turn at a Smash tournament I went to yesterday. Gonna have to take a break on the Wii version due to I need to send my Wii U to Nintendo for repairs.

But yeah, at least I do.

keyzuna

Smash Rookie
very nice to hear that! could you give me some tips on how to get good at the game. Im quite new to brawl games. Like what are the most important things to keep in mind while playing? For now Id like to use: C.Planet , maybe Kevin11, Mojo Jojo and scotsman..

Would really appreciate your help

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
very nice to hear that! could you give me some tips on how to get good at the game. Im quite new to brawl games. Like what are the most important things to keep in mind while playing? For now Id like to use: C.Planet , maybe Kevin11, Mojo Jojo and scotsman..

Would really appreciate your help
I'm assuming you're talking to me. Some tips include:

- Try switching between moves a good bit (doing the same move over & over will make you too predicable)
- Don't be completely offensive so be defensive. Dodging and shielding can help you make your opponent wide open.
- Find your opponents weaknesses/flaws. You can take advantage of that.
- Finding a combo/strategy you can do will help out.

That's all I can think of.

keyzuna

Smash Rookie
I'm assuming you're talking to me. Some tips include:

- Try switching between moves a good bit (doing the same move over & over will make you too predicable)
- Don't be completely offensive so be defensive. Dodging and shielding can help you make your opponent wide open.
- Find your opponents weaknesses/flaws. You can take advantage of that.
- Finding a combo/strategy you can do will help out.

That's all I can think of.
Hey thanks very much.

Yeah the thing bout using different moves and tactics seems very important.
But tell me : Are there characters for which u can tell me some useful combos?
One guy wrote earlier that single jump canceling is necessary for 50% of the combos in the game. Do you know what exactly is meant by that and how to do it?

thanks for helping me out man

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Hey thanks very much.

Yeah the thing bout using different moves and tactics seems very important.
But tell me : Are there characters for which u can tell me some useful combos?
One guy wrote earlier that single jump canceling is necessary for 50% of the combos in the game. Do you know what exactly is meant by that and how to do it?

thanks for helping me out man
I'm not good at character specific stuff or very technical stuff so I can't truly give an answer. Sorry.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
This is very interesting, as I never thought ANYTHING of this game... Smash Bros. 4 is coming out, and I plan on getting that for 3DS and WiiU for sure, but even when I have those, do you guys think Punch-Time Explosion would still be worth getting? Solely because of this thread and the competitive aspect being brought has this game recently piqued my interest.

keyzuna

Smash Rookie
This is very interesting, as I never thought ANYTHING of this game... Smash Bros. 4 is coming out, and I plan on getting that for 3DS and WiiU for sure, but even when I have those, do you guys think Punch-Time Explosion would still be worth getting? Solely because of this thread and the competitive aspect being brought has this game recently piqued my interest.
Hey there, I have to tell you: yes its really worth getting. It takes some getting used to at the beginning but once you figured out some of the characters which fit your playstyle the game really develops and opens up.
Also there arent many good gameplay vids on youtube. But this one is the best I found : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXscC3G8As

Let me know if you picked it up and what you think about it =)

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Hey there, I have to tell you: yes its really worth getting. It takes some getting used to at the beginning but once you figured out some of the characters which fit your playstyle the game really develops and opens up.
Also there arent many good gameplay vids on youtube. But this one is the best I found : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXscC3G8As
Looking into it, the Wii version is incredibly cheap. Since the Wii version is the one that was used in the video (and it seems to support GC controllers :D) and it is the XL edition, should I get that version instead of the 3DS edition? It looks fairly fun.

keyzuna

Smash Rookie
Looking into it, the Wii version is incredibly cheap. Since the Wii version is the one that was used in the video (and it seems to support GC controllers :D) and it is the XL edition, should I get that version instead of the 3DS edition? It looks fairly fun.
Exactly! Dont get the 3DS version.
For the wii version: Not only do you get more characters and stages, but the developers also put some additional production time into the wii Version to make the gameplay feel better and they even changed whole animations of existing special attacks to improve as many things as possible. You are really getting an overall better game with the console "xl" version.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Exactly! Dont get the 3DS version.
For the wii version: Not only do you get more characters and stages, but the developers also put some additional production time into the wii Version to make the gameplay feel better and they even changed whole animations of existing special attacks to improve as many things as possible. You are really getting an overall better game with the console "xl" version.
Sure thing! This looks fun. Only sad thing is that the Wii won't be supporting online too much longer. I plan on getting the Wii version now, and if I get good enough I'd do videos. I see some potential :D

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the 3DS CNPTE if you have the XL (home console) version. But if you really want a portable SSB clone (like you can't wait for Smash 3DS) then expect it to not be as polished as the XL versions and lacking much more content.

keyzuna

Smash Rookie
Sure thing! This looks fun. Only sad thing is that the Wii won't be supporting online too much longer. I plan on getting the Wii version now, and if I get good enough I'd do videos. I see some potential :D
very nice =) let me know about your first impressions

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
I thought the game was amazing on the Xbox 360. I wish they could make a sequel so I can play as Brak from Cartoon Planet.

Top Bottom