• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL

smashfan666

Smash Cadet
NNID
NobelSmashington
3DS FC
2981-8328-3883
i would've gotten it for the wii, if it wasn't in the living room where my parents are using netflix all the time. so i got it for the PS3

The_SMILE

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. How do I get everyone unlocked? I'm up to Mojo Jojo. Also what do you guys set stock/time too? Also, anyone still playing this?

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
Hey guys. How do I get everyone unlocked? I'm up to Mojo Jojo. Also what do you guys set stock/time too? Also, anyone still playing this?
Of course we're still playing it. The game is just now developing.

Anyways, go to the Store from the main menu. Buy the remaining characters and stages with points earned by just playing.

We play on 3 stock settings. Unfortunately you can't do Stock and time together, so we settle for just stocks.

The_SMILE

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I found it. Thanks. Also. Awesome. You guys should really upload a vid of the current metagame. And 3 stocks no time seems really problematic, and as if it would last a little long?

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Is there any character someone thinks we're ignoring? Or a move/tactic that like makes a character a lot better than we've said? We've been working on cleaning up our tier list and we have a couple decent changes. There's some characters like Monkey who seem like they should be pretty good but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make it work. Monkey just feels like a collection of mediocre moves that do not work together and it makes me mad.

Also I've been thinking about writing detailed guides or moveset analyses for all the characters I use. I have a really strong grasp of how Buttercup, Bubbles, K'nuckles, Captain Planet, and Hoss work. Mojo Jojo, Scottsman, Him, and Tolietnator less so than them but I feel I understand them pretty well. Anyone have a particular request out of that bunch, or do people want these guides?

edit: 3 stock no times is perfect. Put it at 2 stocks and the game is entirely broken apart by Vilgax. I would definitely put Vilgax as the best character in the game with 2 stocks. And then 1 stock is just dumb, PTE becomes irrelevant unless one of the characters can't kill. Games do not last more than 5 minutes normally. Characters like Bubbles really slow the game down and push that further. Other characters like K'nuckles and Vilgax make games end in 2 minutes or less, or your money back guaranteed.

We'll try and get a video up sometime but I don't know how we'd do that. We don't have any recording tools and good god hand cameras suck.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I keep on forgetting to get this.

I'll go out and do that tonight or something lol

The_SMILE

Smash Apprentice
No one in particular. Just no time means that campy chars never have to approach, and approaching them all the time would be annoying. But it probably won't happen this way often/ever.
My room mate has been playing Mojo. So it would be cool if you wrote one on him.
Why is Vilgax so good at 2 stock? His PTE?
Also, a hand camera is better then nothing. I'm just curious on how you guys are playing it. Sense I've only played with a few people a few times.
One more thing. How much legit comboing have you guys found?

Splice

Smash Hero
OH Sold.... I feel your pain with Monkey
I tried hard to make that work!

As far as combos go i can't say anything feels as reliable as say Dair>Lcancel>Shine with Falco in melee
But there is a lot of hitstun in this game, and you can certainly get combos.

Aku definitely has some combos with his Uair and Nair which can end in his UpB
And his Dair and Dtilt and DownB (i tend to mash a bit lol) seem to land me multiple hits on opponents when i spam them as i fall to the ground.

I've discontinued research tbh but there are definitely combos in this game.
I'm keen to watch how Kentucky unpack this game though, but for now I've only been playing Aku, Grim, and Vilgax exclusively. I have trouble developing stage control with Vilgax tbh, if I lose that is normally why. Knuckles pressures me way too hard and timing that amazing sheild which will give me stage control is very hard against speedy Knuckles spacing. Tyranitar your guide is good bro

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Man, I freaking love this game (as well as the 3DS version). It's the best SSB clone I've ever played. I also love the stage designs in this game too. Too bad I can't get anyone to play it with me. Also, is anyone getting this problem too?: Every time I play the Foster's Home 3 stage (aka Friends Room) there is absolutely no music playing in the background (I'm playing the Wii version). Speaking of music, I would really love it if someone ripped the music from the game. Also, I do find it odd that this game has a cheat option in the menu but there are no known codes for them since Papaya Studio has not given them out nor has the game hinted on what there are either.

And I'm still deciding who is my favorite character.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This game has so many random physics and graphical hiccups. I have played like 3 hours and haven't even unlocked all the characters and I'm already exploring bugs. I'll probably find known things, but at least I'll have them on decent video quality.

Here's the first thing I figured out.

I have a few other tricks, but none yet worth showing with my lack of experimentation.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
I plan on writing guides for the other characters I play, namely Ben 10, Young Ben, Kevin 11, and maybe Mojo Jojo (if S2 doesn't write one).

Splice, you're completely right about Vilgax having some trouble keeping stage control vs some characters. Aku and K'nuckles have moves that can apply completely ridiculous pressure. All the same, Vilgax only needs to land a few hits to take a stock. If used at the right time, it's easy to take 2 of the opponent's stocks with Vilgax' PTE.

Wariobros, we don't really play on Foster's 3, as it's pretty janky with all the balls, the beds, the spike thing up top. I agree, though, I'd love a soundtrack for this game.

Ultimario, props for getting vids of that stuff up. We've all seen it, but really, nobody wants to watch hand camera quality. If you could, get a higher quality video of the Aku laser on Ben 10 2 glitch.

I suppose we can record some videos with a hand camera the next time Kentucky's players get together.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Aku Laser Glitch is up

and then I go try Melee things after this

Double Jump Cancelling in this game is as silly as ****.

Wavedashing sort of works when SH Airdodge. lol

Splice

Smash Hero
I just remembered something from the first night I played this game

This is a legit glitch, legit happened; In story mode, I had Dexter as my first pick and then Aku as my second. Dexter died by falling down and dying, and when Aku respawned his skin was all warped in a little squished ball (around dexters size) and he still used Dexters moves.
No I haven't been able to recreate this, but I laughed for about 10 minutes when it happened.

@Tyranitar: Ok mad, as long as I'm not the only one missing the "how to obtain stage control" strat :p
But yes, his PTE and amazing kill power make up for the struggle, for sure!

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I started playing VERY recently, and I found some little thing where when you do a running u-smash, or f-smash(I don't know which, because they look so similar to me T_T) with Dexter it can send whoever you hit behind you. I'm trying to do it on a PS3 controller so it's a bit awkward. o-o

EDIT: I also know it's not anything important, but I thought i'd just point it out in case someone could find more use from it than I could.

DOUBLE EDIT: I also was able to platform cancel when I did Dexter u-air. Not sure if any of this is new or not though. Also I was doing these two things in that training mode thing. =D

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
Figured I'd make low-quality videos of a couple of other glitches, one that randomly happened last night, one that I've known for a while.

One involves getting stuck on a stage in Arcade Mode, and the only way to get out is to Quit Game from the pause menu, as you can't even kill yourself. It's detailed more in the video description. http://youtu.be/_YxNOCUeJ74 with a second part here: http://youtu.be/dQDR_bnLro4

The other glitch is simply Young Ben "blasting off" when he hits a slope at a certain angle with his Side B
http://youtu.be/WFGdSu_n3jo with a second part here: http://youtu.be/UpttIZBY3c8

Hope my voice isn't too annoying.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
@Tyranitar: yeah, when I first played this game and started Arcade, I did run across the first glitch you posted except I was Numbuh One and it was just one Ben 10 character (and I don't how I triggered it.)

And when I was playing Arcade as all characters, when I was the vs 3 Ben 10 characters (last battle before Him) on Ben 10 2 stage as Johnny Bravo, one time when I started the battle, the very first thing I did was Johnny's side B and I somehow fell the the stages floor and died. When I tried the battle again and did Johnny side B again, nothing (and since I lost that battle a lot, I kept on retrying that same move to hopefully get it again but all times failed). I know Ben 10 2 is banned but I hope such a thing doesn't happen on other stages.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Double Jump Cancelling in this game is as silly as ****.
Yeah. You can Single Jump Cancel, infact. Try it with K'nuckles f-air. It's also the basis for like 50% of the combos in this game.
No one in particular. Just no time means that campy chars never have to approach, and approaching them all the time would be annoying. But it probably won't happen this way often/ever.
My room mate has been playing Mojo. So it would be cool if you wrote one on him.
Why is Vilgax so good at 2 stock? His PTE?
Also, a hand camera is better then nothing. I'm just curious on how you guys are playing it. Sense I've only played with a few people a few times.
One more thing. How much legit comboing have you guys found?
Only some campy characters never have to approach. Never approaching with Bubbles is a losing strategy vs. a lot of characters, since her d-air gives 2 orbs on hit. Mojo Jojo and Aku on the other hand really don't ever have to approach, their projectiles don't give orbs. Vilgax on 2 stock would essentially be: He takes your first stock normally. He uses his PTE. You've lost. He essentially would only have to land 5 moves to win the game.

We might actually hand camera some combos exhibitions. Like I can show you guys my K'nuckles shenanigans (nearly 0-deaths at this point, brings them well above up-b kill percents), that Bubbles combo I mentioned earlier, an easy Buttercup combo, really simple Aku combos, and I guess some really simple Mojo Jojo follow ups. I'm embarrassed to say I'm not good enough with Planet to really give him a proper combo video. His combos are too hard. Oh yeah and I can reveal the secrets to being the BEST HOSS DELGADO. I think I can at least take the title of best Hoss Delgado without any doubts :cool:.

Also if I haven't mentioned it, I've found new K'nuckles technology (also applies to Buttercup <3). I hope you guys **** yourself as hard as I did when I realized it.

OH Sold.... I feel your pain with Monkey
I tried hard to make that work!

Aku definitely has some combos with his Uair and Nair which can end in his UpB
And his Dair and Dtilt and DownB (i tend to mash a bit lol) seem to land me multiple hits on opponents when i spam them as i fall to the ground.

I have trouble developing stage control with Vilgax tbh, if I lose that is normally why. Knuckles pressures me way too hard and timing that amazing sheild which will give me stage control is very hard against speedy Knuckles spacing.
Like really who the hell designed Monkey. He's so close to being a good character. He has like every characteristic of a good character, but then it all falls apart.

Aku jab combo into up-b is a real thing and probably the easiest thing. Aku f-air leads into itself extremely well and then sets up for neutral-b edgeguarding. Those are really the only combos Aku needs, it's really frustrating. Though his u-air combos are extremely fun and satisfying he's all like RAISE THE ROOF.

K'nuckles is a really unfair example vs Vilgax. Definitely one of Vilgax's harder match-ups, alongside Mojo Jojo, Buttercup and the two characters above him. I don't know which of those are actually not in his favor though. I don't play Vilgax but personally I would say Mojo Jojo is probably his worst match-up. Maybe Ben10? I unno. They all blow up his stage presence really quickly, except Buttercup who can just slip through everything.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
Are any of you still playing this? I've kind of forgotten about it, since I picked up UMvC3 a week or 2 ago. I'd still like to see something become of this game

Jawsome

Smash Apprentice
Me and some friends have just recently started playing this game, and I really enjoy it and think it can be played at a competitive level, and obviously all of you do too. How do we reach out to other players like in the smash community and get this game popular and have a scene. And what ruleset and stagelist should we use. I personally enjoy the PTEs but I think 3 stock is to short so I like to play with 4. My other friend hates the PTEs and enjoys straight up 3 stock. I like playing both ways, but obviously both would bring the metagame of this into two entirely different directions and make the stagelist different as well. Thoughts or ideas?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
3 stocks with PTE is what we run down here. The stagelist is a matter of heavy discussion and, imo, much harder to nail down than in a smash game.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Man, by the looks of it, this looks promising, especicially since it's on the PS3, I've been wanting to try something other than "THE" Smash Bros.

Samurai Jack and Aku look promising, even Mojo or Ben look okay I guess, wish more of the retro like Space Ghost or Eddy would have been playable, still sounds like a neat game IMO.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
My main team is:
Tolietnator
Father
Scottsman
Monkey
Kevin
and Samurai Jack.
I got this the day it came out. My dad wanted me to have a "change of pace.":bee:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I've decided to go back and play this game (for fun) even though I don't have anyone to play it with me. I still enjoy the game. I must say that the Mount Fondoom stage (Chowder 3) is an extremely terrible stage since there's barely any areas to stand on and of it's GIANT pit in the middle of the stage between two small platforms and it makes me wonder what they were thinking when creating the stage layout.

Also, I noticed something weird: If you play a Standard Game, the Training Stage can be playable but if you play a Custom Game, the Training Stage is NOT playable. I don't understand why they did that. Possibly an oversight.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
A problem with a lot of the stages in this game is there is either walk-offs (usually with some sort of water/lava material on the edges) and a are boxed in making it so the vertical blast radius is the only reliable way to kill. I think there is a lot of possible stages to be played on but at a competitive level the stage list would actually be kind of small because a lot of characters can take a huge advantage of specific stage layouts

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Anyone from NY playing this game? Bought it about a month ago and I'm tryna play some competitive matches. Mostly using K'nuckles and Dexter. I can record matches in HD with my phone, as well. Lemme know!

Edit: I might do some write-ups on those two in the mean time.

Edit 2: Dropped K'nuckles. Too slow. Just going full Dexter in dis ish. I recorded some vs AI matches just to show off some technology to people who don't have the game or are just interested. I'll take some requests, too. I'll be going to Anime Boston in two months. If anyone is feeling confident I'd gladly do some money matches.

:phone:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Well my twin bro is back from college for spring break and I shown him this game to hopefully get him to try it. He's being hard on me to try it even though he's in the Alabama Smash League. Some day I'll get him to try it.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Dropped K'nuckles. Too slow

Well my twin bro is back from college for spring break and I shown him this game to hopefully get him to try it. He's being hard on me to try it even though he's in the Alabama Smash League. Some day I'll get him to try it.
You're mentioning ASL and you've got a twin brother. Who is this twin brother? I know this man.

Start coming to ASL tourneys and I'll play you.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Edit 2: Dropped K'nuckles. Too slow.

In actual relevant news, we haven't been playing this much :shrug:. I guess we've had tentative changes for the tier list for months but we never got to messing with that. STILL NO STAGELIST.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
You're mentioning ASL and you've got a twin brother. Who is this twin brother? I know this man.

Start coming to ASL tourneys and I'll play you.
This is my bro. And I'll try my best to go to an ASL tourney even though I'm at home in South Carolina (my bro goes to college in Alabama and I don't). I'll go talk to him to see if I can make an arrangement.

Anywho, back on topic: So far, I like using Hoss Delgado, Captain Planet, Numbuh One, and Father. Still deciding who's my main.

EDIT: Looking back at your SWF member info & the ASL site, I just now noticed you're in the ASL too. Cool.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
laughinggif
to be fair, K'nuckles' movement speed is fairly slow. He does have the highest overall attack speed in the game, though.

But for real. We had a decent amount of players here in Lexington, but most of our PTE players were formerly just Smash players. Most of Lexington's Smash players have picked up UMvC3 as of late, and we just haven't been playing PTE. S2 and I really need to get people playing this again.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Ok,i seriiously want to see a friendlies match or some vid of this, because I'm curious about Aku and Blossom(she sounds superbroke :/)

maybe a Smashtourney can have this as a side game?

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Yeah, uh, K'nuckles movement speed is slow as fuh. Dexter is on point, though.

I'm bringing this game to a Smash tournament in August in NYC, so like I said, if anyone is available, you should come play and let my Dexter experiment on you. ;}

Edit: I'd love to see a K'nuckles get in on Dexter. I thought he was good when I first picked up the game, but he's kinda like a one trick pony. Fair, fsmash, and B placements. Atta 'bout it. Three tricks, my mistake.

Edit 2: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3498207574403

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
Those are some pretty neat Dexter combos you have there. I wouldn't have ever thought to throw into down B.

Anyways, a few days ago, a few of us sat down and played this some more, and we finally did what we've been avoiding doing forever: We wrote up a stagelist!

We're not gonna be all Unity-nazi about this, but we spent hours discussing this. We originally planned for only 3 neutrals, but to make a bit more variety, we bumped it up to 5.

Also, we had a huge discussion about the fate of Ben 10 2. It's a neutral stage without the Aku glitch, but with it, we decided that it would break any sort of counterpick system. If it was a legal counterpick, and you lost game one, if they didn't ban it, you could just pick it and use Aku for basically a free win. It would just be a disgusting mess, so we decided to ban it.

One last thing is that since this is a preliminary stage list, if there is any potential competitive value of a stage, we kept it legal. No need to ban things without even testing them first: only ban the obviously bad stages from the start.

So, here it is:

[COLLAPSE="Stage List v1"]Starter

Samurai Jack 2
Final Boss 1
Foster's Home 2
Kids Next Door 3
Ben 10 1

Counterpick

Grim Adventures 1
Dexter's Lab 1
Foster's Home 1
Kids Next Door 1
Chowder 1
Chowder 2
Samurai Jack 1
Samurai Jack 3

Banned

Chowder 3
Flapjack 1
Flapjack 2
Flapjack 3
Kids Next Door 2
Powerpuff Girls 1
Powerpuff Girls 2
Foster's Home 3
Dexter's Lab 2
Dexter's Lab 3
Grim Adventures 2
Grim Adventures 3
Ben 10 2[/COLLAPSE]

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Legalize PPG1!!!!!!

No, but seriously, I'm not sure about how I feel about Final Boss being neutral.

As for K'nuckles vs. Dexter, I play Dexter. Dexter has a get out of jail free and Knuckles is a character who needs to play to his specific spacing. Picking one example is very bad form.

Top Bottom