• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cartoon Network is DEAD!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
http://www.tv.com/story/13415.html

Cable station no longer living up to its name, will get in to live-action reality shows, scripted programs.

First MTV stops showing music videos, now this? Cartoon Network is sticking with the "Network" portion of its name, but ditching the strictly "Cartoon" bit, the company announced today. Nineteen new projects were announced, and less than half will be hand-drawn.

"These exciting new projects represent the next phase in Cartoon Network's ambitious, ongoing strategy to re-invent the network and re-energize our youth business overall," said Stuart Snyder.

These new non-cartoons will start airing in the coming 2009-2010 season and feature reality and scripted programs, most of which sound like pint-sized versions of programs currently airing on other networks.

Highlights: The Othersiders is a mini-Ghost Hunters, with five friends exploring scary places; Destroy Build Destroy is like Human Wrecking Balls, with two teams blowing stuff up; Dude, What Would Happen is a Mythbusters clone; Bobb'e Says takes the ridiculously funny child actor Bobb'e J. Thompson (Human Giant, Role Models) in his own take of America's Funniest Home Videos.

Also announced was a live-action Ben 10: Alien Force movie, a Scooby-Doo! prequel telefilm, and a full CG movie titled Firebreather!

Don't worry all you glassy-eyed college students--it doesn't look like the late-night Adult Swim block will be affected by any of this.
Such a shame. A cartoon network with cartoons is like apple pie without apples.

The worst part is that we probably should have seen this coming when they first aired Roger Rabbit on CN.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I am surprised and quite disappointed by this. They're just becoming Nickelodeon.

But I'll accept it if "Cartoon" Network starts showing a full hour of Looney Toons everyday right after their Tom and Jerry block.

Chaco

Never Logs In
That'd be amazing, man I miss those things. Haha.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
What we need is Animaniacs, Johnny Bravo, and Dexter's Lab reruns. Not this Johnny Test, Squirrel Boy, and Robot Boy stuff.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Looks like I'll be raising my kids on DVDs of the old, good stuff, rather than giving them a channel to watch. That's better fundamentally anyway.

EDIT: Did any of you see "Out of Jimmy's Head"? Easily the worst show of all time. It aired for a few weeks or something on Cartoon Network, with only a few episodes shown. Youtube that ****. It's awful.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
What is this nonsense? I object. I want my toons. I want good toons. Why does no one want to provide them anymore?

Ordering Boomerang might be my only option, at this point.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Cartoon Network should get the rights to air Looney Tunes and Animaniacs again like in 2001. That was awesome.

Oh, the Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy movie is done now, so why doesn't CN air it? Are they waiting for the Ed's 10-year Anniversary like the Powerpuff Girls?

Boomerang is great for classic toons. They air Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, and the Powerpuff Girls Weekdays at 9 P.M.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Why don't they air any originals series made before 2006? At least Foster's, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Billy and Mandy were decent shows.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I liked Courage, wasn't too fond of Foster's, and Billy and Mandy reminded me of a modern Ren and Stimpy.

We still need those shows, as opposed to things like Squirrel Boy.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
I liked Fosters and courage did not like mandy much. Ed was awesome. With Boomerang I might also get too watch the good old days of pokemon anime. WITH MISTY YEAH. And Johnny Bravo was the best

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well look at it this way, guys.

Remember when you were little and your parents would say cartoons will rot your brain, and when they do watch cartoons with you, they didn't seem to enjoy it as much as you did?

Well, basically it's OUR turn to do that. :p

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well look at it this way, guys.

Remember when you were little and your parents would say cartoons will rot your brain, and when they do watch cartoons with you, they didn't seem to enjoy it as much as you did?

Well, basically it's OUR turn to do that. :p
Except I will deprive my children of watching such nonsense. Cartoons sparked imagination, but this turn of events is sure to limit kids immensely by introducing social standards that they must live up to. Cartoons told stories; these reality kids shows will microwave childrens' brains. No water for them!

To easily avoid the rising bull**** of television, I may not subject my family to any type of cable whatsoever. The TV can be for the N64, the PS1, and DVDs of good shows from the 90s and before.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I hate Cartoon Network now.

Now i Don't watch none of major cartoon channels anymore

First Disney then Nick and now This.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Looks like Toon Disney has moved away from Animation, Nick has tons of reality shows, and now Cartoon Network is getting rid of their cartoons now? Looks like I'll be watching TV less or just watching stuff on the internet. Really, I dunno what they're thinking, just rerun the stuff you canceled, those shows were great.

Or they could bring back Reboot, I'm sure that'll make quite a few people, adults included, happy. It was probably one of the best CG shows there ever was. Too bad Doc. Claw's VA died, otherwise I'm sure they would've continued after season 4. (There is a fan project that got permission from ViZ I think they're called? to make new episodes, and they're doing pretty well!)

Or maybe Cartoon Network could just rerun Dragonball Z, or say, steal Sonic X/Kirby from 4kids since they lost the license. Heavens knows that if Funimation picked up Sonic X then redubbed the episodes it would be better.

And have they gotten RID of Naruto? I haven't seen a new episode in forever, and I'm missing One Peace now since they took that down.... Cartoon Network should just run Anime shows, there are soo many that they would be set for quite a long time.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
the death of cartoon network has been a long time coming. It sucks everytime I go to that channel and theres some wack show on but the channel right below it is playing some awesome cartoon like dexters lab or justice league unlimited and i dont have that freaken channel. Think its called Boomerang

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
And have they gotten RID of Naruto? I haven't seen a new episode in forever, and I'm missing One Peace now since they took that down.... Cartoon Network should just run Anime shows, there are soo many that they would be set for quite a long time.
Ever since Toonami dipped, Naruto hasn't got enough popularity to last I guess. And 4Kids jacked up One Piece to the point that not even broadcasting that show on Toonami wasn't enough to save it.

It is sad to see Cartoon Network showing less Cartoons or the one's that I like. Only time I watch it is when Pokémon come's on in Saturday mornings and the rest of the anime at Sunday in the morning around 1am or so. But then again, the episodes on the internet come's after the day it show's on TV, lol.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Toonami hasn't really existed in a few years. When Dragonball GT finished, Toonami was over. It started changing after that. Does anyone remember the good Toonami? Dragonball Z, Captain Planet, Zoids, Thunder Cats. That was the good version. Not some crappy show about a ninja. Get at it.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
i hate how disney has turned to mickey mouse to drama mania, WHERES STEAM BOAT WILLIE?!. i have never seen mickey once but on a kiddy morning show that comes on. none of the shows arent as enterntaining and its the same boring show over and over. Corbin blue that, wildcat this, zack and cody those. heck watching alligator clobber fake human bait is more enterntaing(animal planet)

Nickelodeon....now that is currently turning to disney. what happened to fairly odd parents? why all the shows 50% reality show? the only cartoon i like is back at the barnyard

cartoon network got rid of the good shows, cow and chickn, johnny bravo, etc. those made me laugh still. now we got new ones, star wars is probably the best. crappy unfunny cartoon show are on now,flap jack is ok, george of the jungle is a nightmare, secret satardays...a corny action show.

i dont know bout you, i think adult swim should take over cartoon network.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
i hate how disney has turned to mickey mouse to drama mania, WHERES STEAM BOAT WILLIE?!. i have never seen mickey once but on a kiddy morning show that comes on. none of the shows arent as enterntaining and its the same boring show over and over. Corbin blue that, wildcat this, zack and cody those. heck watching alligator clobber fake human bait is more enterntaing(animal planet)

Nickelodeon....now that is currently turning to disney. what happened to fairly odd parents? why all the shows 50% reality show? the only cartoon i like is back at the barnyard

cartoon network got rid of the good shows, cow and chickn, johnny bravo, etc. those made me laugh still. now we got new ones, star wars is probably the best. crappy unfunny cartoon show are on now,flap jack is ok, george of the jungle is a nightmare, secret satardays...a corny action show.

i dont know bout you, i think adult swim should take over cartoon network.
I'm sorry... what?! Steamboat Willie? I'm shocked you bring that up, because that was barely even a cartoon, much less a series.
Also, Kiddy show? 8 am on weekdays have been designated as the pre-school time, when teens are at school. Don't like it? Watch the classic Disney movies.

Fairly Oddparents has been running for years, and it still is. From about 6pm to 10, they show these reality shows that teenagers actually like, not some cartoons.

None of the shows you mentioned were any good. I like dull, dark animation with bad audio.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
I'm sorry... what?! Steamboat Willie? I'm shocked you bring that up, because that was barely even a cartoon, much less a series.
Also, Kiddy show? 8 am on weekdays have been designated as the pre-school time, when teens are at school. Don't like it? Watch the classic Disney movies.

Fairly Oddparents has been running for years, and it still is. From about 6pm to 10, they show these reality shows that teenagers actually like, not some cartoons.

None of the shows you mentioned were any good. I like dull, dark animation with bad audio.
seem like i was over exagerating a bit, i always do on accident

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'm not one who really like anime much either. But I liked Zoids.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i remember a add for cartoon network that said only cartoons no live action. True it has not lived up to it but it was still mostly cartoons but now well its just sad. Also has anyone here seen any of the live shows that have been on cartoon network they are so bad they make my brain hurt just awful.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
cartoon networks been dead for a long time, ever since they got rid of all the good ol 90s cartoons (dexters lab, johnny bravo etc.) its been horrible. and now there showing movies/shows that arent even cartoons. what a shame. itll end up like Mtv

Jeet Kune Do

Smash Apprentice
Outlaw Star... Blue Submarine 06 or w/e it was called... back when they had "Midnight Run" that was amazing... DBZ kept Toonami alive, mostly. Kenshin was great too. Man, what happened...

Seriously, putting anime back on CT would grab so many more viewers.

Well, maybe, maybe not...

since most everyone these days knows how to get subs anyway...

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
Good thing I stopped caring about television a couple of years ago. I just find myself not watching TV, it's weird. Only time I do is I might catch an episode of King of the Hill on [as] before going to bed.

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
And in a way, I think I never really liked cartoons. Back when shows like Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Lab were in their prime, I never really appreciated them.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
I remember I time that my friend and I sat in his house and watched the good shows like Dextrer's Lab and Johnny Bravo. Now those were good shows, not the garbage their shoving at the network now. I knew Cartoon Network was going down the drain ever since they put up Foster's billboards a few years back. Really, it depresses me, all the good shos are going off air.

To me, it seems that they're only trying to save money by not wasting their precious time by drawing out all those images, and instead hiering mediocre actors to work under a horrendous script for a cheap thrill.

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
cartoon network was dead the moment Ed was finished and toonami quit.
Nah, Cartoon Network went down the toilet when Cartoon Cartoon Friday's was hosted by live-action hosts. I think that pre-dates Toonami's cancellation, not sure though.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I agree with MaxDeUh. That's about the time where I started watching CT less and less.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I kinda stopped watching when Toonami's late night shows started to suck. :x

I heard there's gonna be some reality show, wtf? And not Total Drama Island, a real reality show.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
This is disappointing... :ohwell:
Not to say I didn't see it coming...=p
CN started going down hill once they changed cartoon cartoon fridays, and all of the classics were removed. Jonny Brovo, Dexter's Labarotory, Power Puff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog...
Ed Edd n Eddy stopped showing as well... Even KND, which wasn't half bad. I don't think they show The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy either. =P

And like bunny said, all the Great Toonami shows were removed and now it has completely died out. Such a shame =P Too bad for the newer generations.

On the bright side, at least they are keeping Adult Swim...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
On the bright side, at least they are keeping Adult Swim...
At this point, even having Adult Swim is bad depending on what day you watch it on. I'll say watching it on Sunday is the worst because that's where most of the, "reality" shows come on. I'll say Saturday is the best... if you like anime or watch TV after 12:30 am. =P

Top Bottom