• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carolina Brawl Power Rankings [1/27] Breaking Bad PRs!! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord karn

Smash Master
Even if they still participate, PP does better than them. It shouldn't be about participation, it should be about how well you do. PP did well enough to show that he's the best in one tourney, so he should be first.

Look at it this way. If pp entered another brawl tourney, he would probably get the first seed. Powerrankings are supposed to be used for seeding. If you didn't put pp on here, everyone would still know that he is the best, at least until it's too long from his entering to tell. If PP didn't get a high seed, it wouldn't be fair for the people he has to play first round.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
this is the exact scenario as WC.
TKD= PP
Tyrnant= Stingers

Even though pp beat everyone in one tourney, does not necessarily mean that the next tourney he will have a bad day and lose to shady, stinger, rag, or kadaj. i agree he should be on the rankings, but if he decides he doesnt want to be, i dont see why we should put him there, when seth, ilove, mekos, etc have proven there good and still play this. They do well in tourney, and deserve to be up there.

I am Seth

Smash Lord
SP or Boone where all we smoke is christmas trees.
I've gone 1-2 in bracket the past 4 tournys. Even tho I have some bright spots I think it's fair to say with everything else on the side that I should be off the ranking. I'll get back on over the summer with fiz.

edit: pp your the best. no one can handle your mindgames.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
prs aren't about fairness lol.

that 10th place tie is really just because we couldn't really choose between any of them and it's cool to have them all on there.

lord karn

Smash Master
This isn't anything like WC. TKD entered one tournament and beat everyone. He also enters a lot of other tournaments and loses. PP entered one tournament and beat most of the other top players on the prs. He didn't enter other tournaments and lose. He also never lost when he used to play, even though that doesn't really matter.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
TKD has lost in the past, but he hasnt been in tourneys for like 4 months before his recent win. but its whatever, if pp dosent mind, then it really isnt a problem i guess

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I think past results (ie. before the ranking period) are considered some, even if not formally they're still biasing your mind when making rankings. If PP were some random who came and won the tournament, he wouldn't be ranked #1 because that demands consistency.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i play wifi but i'm basically alone there for nc...but i can't play for awhile because i left it at billfest...though i might not get it back anyway so it might be a long long time x.x

lord karn

Smash Master
Well, I would still think PP should be #1 even if he was some random. PP beat Stingers, Shady, Kadaj, and I'm assuming at least one or other two good people. So he is 1-0 vs the two people that would be ranked 2 and 3, as well as 1-0 with some other players. The other good players, like foxy, rag and keith, lost to people PP beat. PP just has the best record from this ranking period, even if all of his data comes from one tournament.

If the same is true for TKD, I would say he should be ranked #1 as well in his region. However, he might not have gotten data vs. enough players. Maybe he did.

The thing about the higher spots on the pr is that they are much easier to get to having only attended one tournament. The reason it's hard to get to the low spots in one tourney, is because if you are pretty good but not awesome you will go to a tourney, win a couple rounds and then lose. You will only have data vs. a few players, which is inconclusive. If you go to a tournament and beat everyone, you might get more data from one tournament than the worse players get in a whole ranking period's worth of tournaments.

justice

Smash Ace
i play wifi but i'm basically alone there for nc...but i can't play for awhile because i left it at billfest...though i might not get it back anyway so it might be a long long time x.x
We gotta play when you get it back.

I would like to play you too Kevin when you get the chance >_>;

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Lol . . . I should join.

<_<

Why I even have the game is beyond me.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Everyone has Brawl. It was the sequel to Melee.

The only people who didn't get it were the people who liked melee and disliked Brawl, but didn't get Brawl before they played it.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yes.

I, in fact, have Brawl.

I don't like selling/getting rid of my games.

So, yeah.

justice

Smash Ace
I got hyped when people said it had all the old stuff like Melee. Then it got removed from the final version.... But, I didn't see that post >_>

Gardevior

Smash Lord
The first thing they removed was wavedashing because it was too complex. (Thus changing the airdodge system)

Then they took out things like crouch cancelling and made DI easier, then the last thing they did was make hitstun almost completely interruptible, so you can perform any action out of it (I don't know the exact frame data that hitstun isn't interruptible in Brawl, but it's so negligible that anyone who's played any other smash game can tell the game doesn't have any).

The demo at E3 (one of the earlier versions) had hitstun. :(

edit - I don't know what they did to remove L-cancelling, but that's because I don't know how L-cancelling actually works.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
it was e for all not e3 technically :p

but the demo had some weird thing where fastfalling during your move cancelled half of the lag or something.

and hitstun

dont remember much else

edit: dammit foxy :(

lord karn

Smash Master
Actual hitstun is almost the same in brawl as it is in melee. The main difference is mobility. Characters move through space so much faster in melee that it's easier to reach someone while they are still in histun. The other main difference is the airdodge. You can airdodge or jump out of tumble. In melee airdodging is obviously not a good option. Jumping can lead to loss of jump and lots of juggles if they predict (which are better in melee because of increased mobility and speed of characters). Also, in melee you have to wiggle the control stick before you can get out of tumble if you don't airdodge/jump. There is no wiggling in brawl and you get out automatically after a certain time. I'm not sure if you can attack out of tumble, but I don't think you can. I'm not sure.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
characters actual aerial mobility is much higher in brawl but melee carries a lot more momentum from dashes and stuff...also in brawl you can interrupt hitstun with airdodges which makes it feel even less then it really is

lord karn

Smash Master
Hmmm, I think it's only tumble you can interrupt. Hitstun comes before tumble. A lot of combos in melee involve hitting them in tumble, not hitstun. It's just that they don't have options fast enough to break tumble and break the combo.

And yeah, dash momentum is carried into the air in melee. That's the main mobility thing I'm talking about.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure I've heard of people being able to airdodge out of hitstun after a set number of frames off of any move in Brawl, which would explain why most people don't stay stunned long enough to "combo."

lord karn

Smash Master
Well, maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps it's attacking you can do out of tumble. I know you can airdodge before you can attack.

lord karn

Smash Master
actually, you can airdodge out of hitstun after 22 frames in hitstun and you can attack after frame like 55 or something.

most airdodges last 38 frames, and that's why attacking is better for momentum canceling. The reason momentum canceling works is because of fastfalling to counteract your momentum. You can fastfall during attacks but not airdodges. 22 + 38 = 60, which is later than the first frame you can attack

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well I knew that stuff without frames, but that's pretty cool.

I wish I knew how to find that sort of thing out though lol. Frames are so useful sometimes.

lord karn

Smash Master
I just remembered that while I was walking around.

There are lots of random threads with frame data. I think swordgard made a huge post about some general brawl physics.

SCOTU has a post in the melee fox boards with a bunch of stuff about shields and shield pressuring. And then there is some old post about DI and sdi and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom