• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm surprised a lot of people are saying FoD vs Sheik. That stages scares me a lot vs her, as every character. I'd rather strike BF/FoD and take DL. But the explanations make sense.

Xyzz does in fact have a pretty cute avatar.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
So it is safe to say in tight frame gaps I should want to pivot, but eventually wavedash is better in longer gaps. Interesting, and very useful.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
This might be too vague of a question to really warrant an answer but what are some good ways to slow down the tempo of a match? Just for the sake of an example let's say you're playing against a spacie and they're just bull-rushing you, going super aggro (drillshining you all over the place with fox or pillaring you all over platforms with falco) My first instinct is to say that a good DD grab game can slow them down considerably but what are some other ways Marth can deal with that kind of speed? I mean, I guess it'd boil down to make them second guess themselves and hold on to the notion that speedy play can more likely lead to careless play. However, I was wondering what were some techniques to slow down the tempo a bit.

Thanks

I'm full of questions today, let me know if they're getting excessive. Would love to talk to any of you on AIM about smash.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
LOL

I typically prefer BF to FoD vs Sheik because she won't top platform vs me in this metagame and the stage is bigger so I could abuse more movement vs her. It is likely more preference since Sheik can't abuse platforms quite(?) as well on FoD but the difference matters to me.

D

Deleted member

also sheik is a ****ing monster on fountain. why would anyone want to CP sheik to fountain? besides like MAYBE roy lol. that's not even specific to marth.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
This might be too vague of a question to really warrant an answer but what are some good ways to slow down the tempo of a match? Just for the sake of an example let's say you're playing against a spacie and they're just bull-rushing you, going super aggro (drillshining you all over the place with fox or pillaring you all over platforms with falco) My first instinct is to say that a good DD grab game can slow them down considerably but what are some other ways Marth can deal with that kind of speed? I mean, I guess it'd boil down to make them second guess themselves and hold on to the notion that speedy play can more likely lead to careless play. However, I was wondering what were some techniques to slow down the tempo a bit.

Thanks

I'm full of questions today, let me know if they're getting excessive. Would love to talk to any of you on AIM about smash.
I have all kinds of theory I spew out to people who I won't name via conversation. I'm better at thinking than I am at playing.
I'd love to bounce ideas off of you, just for the sake of conversation and both of our improvement.

@everyone else,
Does anyone else think Marth completely ***** ICs lol or is that just me. I played the MU a lot today and dtilt is broken vs ICS

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Dtilt does mess up ICers pretty bad in my experience. Granted I never played even a decent IC player. I don't mind the speed vs Fox but Falco is my hardest match up as he can control me with lasers. I am so bad at dealing with a match up where I can't move/DD freely. Any ideas to keeping falco more honest would be over well with me.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
You told me to hit you up Monday (you were busy this weekend) regarding how you view dashdancing. More specifically how you look at the short term movements of the initial dashes, as well as the gradual movement over time with dashdances.

I'm curious how you view them in regards to spacing.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It's really hard to separate dashes and overall area, so I think I'll talk about my purpose with both to help it make sense.

Any forward dash is done to either gain stage or press into the opponent(intent-wise or if I actually approached.) Any backward dash is done to give up stage or coerce the opponent into pressing into me. My full intent may simply be to wait and not really attack or defend, as an additional fact.

My overall dash area is simpler. I keep a presence outside of their biggest attack range and then weave around there. My body being closer to them puts pressure on them to act defensively, and my body being further away puts pressure on them to act aggressively.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I have all kinds of theory I spew out to people who I won't name via conversation. I'm better at thinking than I am at playing.
I'd love to bounce ideas off of you, just for the sake of conversation and both of our improvement.

@everyone else,
Does anything else think Marth completely ***** ICs lol or is that just me. I played the MU a lot today and dtilt is broken vs ICS

That sounds great man. My aim is Dwizard2 (shoutouts to choosing a screen name in 6th grade) if you ever want to talk about Smash related stuff. I could also do Skype if you prefer but I can't do video calls because of my poor hearing.

Looking forward to many good conversations. That goes for everybody, if you want to talk about Smash just send me a message. I may not know a whole lot about the game but I do have a willingness to learn so hopefully that's something.

D

Deleted member

if you mean busy as in dropping acid with people we don't know in crappy dorms then yeah we were busy lmao

kevin your marth is the reason peach is unplayable

D

Deleted member

i think my favorite was both of our marth's and yay's fox when he just literally could do nothing past the invincibility at the beginning of the stock. like actually nothing.

also killing your friends with link was pretty raw. i unleashed the bane of evil.

best weekend ever.

D

Deleted member

you would visit the exact weekend before i made my way down

come by again please

basically kevin ***** me so bad that i had to have my asshole stitched shut by 3 separate physicians.

then he got piss drunk and i beat his state with kirby.

so basically you didn't miss anything.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
If you view each dash separate like that, what is the point of dashdancing, because you usually end up in a cycle of pressure-bait-pressure. . . If you only use the gradual movement of the dashes to stay out of range, would you say that dashdancing is mainly used as a timing mixup, that also gives your opponent a chance to commit when they shouldn't? If so, would dashdancing be best used to keep them guessing when you'll stop dashdancing?
Ohio sounds fun.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you view each dash separate like that, what is the point of dashdancing, because you usually end up in a cycle of pressure-bait-pressure. . . If you only use the gradual movement of the dashes to stay out of range, would you say that dashdancing is mainly used as a timing mixup, that also gives your opponent a chance to commit when they shouldn't? If so, would dashdancing be best used to keep them guessing when you'll stop dashdancing?
Ohio sounds fun.
Well see you have to view each dash separately and then separate each dash from the larger full body/area picture. If I dash at you and then stop and do nothing else, it's a threat. If I dash away and do nothing else, it's a bait. Think of the DD like taking steps towards and away from your opponent if you were in an actual fight.

You don't cycle dashes forever, you keep things simple and do it a little or execute a lot of "sets" of actions within a long-term DD. I'll let you chew on that for now because I'm gonna go to bed soonish lol.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Chewing on that like a raw octopus tentacle. (They're very chewy.)

When you compare smash to actal fighs, it makes me think you've been in fights, which makes me think you're edgy. I like it.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Chewing on that like a raw octopus tentacle. (They're very chewy.)

When you compare smash to actal fighs, it makes me think you've been in fights, which makes me think you're edgy. I like it.
inbox me some questions purpletuce, i like telling people my worthless opinion and I put a lot of time and thought into my answers. makes for good conversation (i have a few good ones going right now)

Blood Falcon11

Smash Apprentice
This is probably a dumb question but whatever. Does it take more frames to do a SHFFL fair or something than it does to just empty short hop L-cancel? Also, let's say you're facing left, does it take more frames to f-tilt right than it would to just f-tilt left?

D

Deleted member

how do you even get to these places

i was thinking about my conversation with you from saturday about intellectual curiosity and the whole "how do you know what to look for?" thing. i think i want to get into it hard once i gather my thoughts on the subject. i don't even know how i jump from idea to idea sometimes.

to be honest sometimes i think my intellect is stale until i have those types of conversations with the very few people that challenge me and give me room to grow. thanks for being yourself, kevin.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
The following is the summary of a conversation I had with myself today (uncertainty added for dramatic effect, the opinions expressed in this reenactment are mine and have yet to be validated) ...

I was trying to explore the option of ftilt vs dtilt in certain situations today; particularly in the neutral positions and was wondering why dtilt was pretty much always the better option than ftilt. Basically, I was trying to figure out why dtilt is herald as some god-technique in pretty much every MU but ftilt is hardly ever mentioned. I believe the question came to me when I was viewing an old thread by Ether where he was asking for some tips regarding Marth dittos.

Now from what I've seen, every strategic theory of the ditto suggests that dtilt is an amazing tool in the match. And I can certainly see why; it's (pretty much) perfectly safe if done correctly and at times is really your only approach method... or is it?? However, I couldn't figure out why it was valued so heavily over ftilt. After all they both come out on the same frame so speed isn't an issue (unless I'm missing something obvious), they both seem to do relatively the same thing: keeping your opponent away or providing a safe approach, and both take advantage of Marth's ridiculous range.

Obviously, I'm no frame/hitbox guru but I think a tippered Ftilt provides more knock-back than a dtilt. "Ah ha!" I thought to myself maybe the purpose of those moves isn't so much to "keep the enemy at bay" as it is to create an opening; after all there has to be a reason that dtilt is revered as much as it is and why poor ftilt is hardly ever mentioned. Basically, a sweetspot ftilt would knock your enemy further back but it would keep them out of your threat range. I may be wrong but it's probably a bad thing. However, sourspot ftilt could easily keep the enemy close and within your threat range. So maybe I was missing something.

I mean both attacks seem to pay homage to the old zoning "put a hitbox out there" strategy that most Marths employed back in the day but if the metagame is asking for us to move away from that style of play into one centralized around superior movement, dashdance camping, pivots and other things that abuse Marth's superior range/priority. And of course when thinking about it more extensively dtilt fits into the puzzle quite nicely... but I don't see how ftilt doesn't.

Still there had to be a reason that so many of you mention dtilt in nearly every strategic discussion of Marth's neutral game but nary a mention of poor neglected ftilt; so it was back to the drawing board. Then I started to think about how the trajectory of the moves would be beneficial or detrimental to Marth's overall gameplay and decided to return to my thoughts on the differences in knockback. Ftilt's hit trajectory (whether sweetspotted or sourspotted... or bitterspotted, or saltyspotted) offers no real reward and actually resets the match back to the neutral game; so really all of your hard work, meticulous calculations and micro-adjustments you've made in the neutral game just got thrown out the window. Essentially ftilt did nothing for you. Dtilt on the other hand keeps the enemy close, you're still a threat to them ,can easily be followed up by any number of things (like a grab, cause yay grabs) and accentuates Marth's overall gameplan. While ftilt just shoos them away really. So that's the reason why dtilt beats ftilt in the neutral game pretty much all of the time.

I'm not really sure why I bothered to type all of that out, but the Marth boards were being too quiet. Feel free to add or disagree with anything that I've mentioned of course.

Thanks for reading!

Bones0

Smash Legend
Dtilt just has gdlk IASA frames so you don't get ****ed up if they block or dodge. All of your theory assumed that they were getting hit by the attack.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
That's true, I did assume that they were going to be hit by the attack. I don't know didn't seem like it was worth thinking about moves in terms of not hitting the opponent but I guess in terms of IASA frames I guess it's something else that needs to be considered. It was a fun mental exercise nonetheles.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Outside of combos you always have to keep the chance in mind that your move doesn't hit or gets shielded, unless you're playing a CPU who will always do the same thing haha. But yeah, in reality people will shield your stuff or move in ways you didn't expect, but if you all you threw out is a dtilt it's really hard for them to capitalize on the time you're vulnerable. It's possible to punish, but for that they kinda have to hard read the moment you're swinging.

ant-d

Smash Lord
I believe that maybe the inner PS sphere becomes larger or drifts downwards on its second frame, but I can’t really tell as on the second frame the shield animation bubble overlaps the PS and normal shield collision detection sphere.
Frame 1 left, frame 2 right:
For the sake of curiosity, here are the two frames of Marth's powershield with the shield bubble removed. Now you can see the true position of the powershield sphere on the second frame.

Frame 1 / Frame 2:

It is more downward.

Top Bottom