• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Sybawave

Smash Ace
^^thank you lol I wasn't sure when you could get shined or not...everyone just said 22% but it happened to me and I wasn't sure if that was me being slow or what

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
I'd go with twenty to thirtyish. It's purely a mindgame, so it's not guaranteed. Plus, I don't know why you would... a chaingrab can lead to a kill much more easily than a tipper at twenty.
if you've got your back to an edge and it works u get a free easy edge gaurd which generally ends in a kill, but yeah if you're good at chaining and finishing theres no reason you cant do that, was just throwing this out there as a mind game that ive found to be quite successful at certain times.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Yeah, it -is- pretty boring to me, now. >.> I'm gonna turn off FD when I play Marth friendlies with anyone now.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Cactuar, how do you feel about Fthrow Fthrow at low percents (on Spacies). Its sorta chaingrabbing but it moves them towards the edge which is I think what you dislike about Upthrow CGs.

In all actuallity, you don't even have to answer, I just miss all the Cactus posts. This is merely a chance for everyone to bask in the awesomeness of you posting. Believe me I'm not the only one.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I'm not saying go Fox, but odds are, the person counterpicking you to Corneria is gonna be like... a spacey, Pikachu, or Samus.

Corneria ruins chaingrabbing in most cases. The ceiling is low. The stage is huge horizontally. It messes with Marth's ground attacks by angling his body. He gets gayed hard in the lower area. Etc.

Marth is generally just not as good on counterpick stages. He just dominates on neutrals.

Binx

Smash Master
I don't even understand why Corneria is counterpickable, such a campy garbage level, if I remember right the reason for banning a couple of other levels was because it promoted camping, also flat walls I guess for Fox, and laser camping on hyrule, but still, I hate Corneria.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
cactuar, I come to you with questions.
I'm a fox main, past marth main, and I cannot beat good falcos.
At SMYM9 I had 4 falcos in my pool, 2 of them being dope and myztek >.>(i beat the other 2) which is why I've realized I pretty much HAVE to be solid against falco.
I can't handle the shield pressure and lasers controlling the match--I thrive off of giving myself many options, and falco takes away any chance of that i have.
anyway--should I play fox or marth against falco?
i like the edge guarding gamewith marth and the fact that i just need 1 grab to control the match--but my fox is really technical and i can shield pressure falco just as hard as he can me--i just can't do it whenever i want like he can
advice?

Tero.

Smash Champion
I don't even understand why Corneria is counterpickable, such a campy garbage level, if I remember right the reason for banning a couple of other levels was because it promoted camping, also flat walls I guess for Fox, and laser camping on hyrule, but still, I hate Corneria.
lol

you obv don't understand the concept of bans/counterpicks

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
So you know how Marth's over B has the up and down alternates. You also know that you can switch up the up/ over/ down in the same group of four (one use really).

I was wondering if you prefer any alternates to the regular. When would you use the alternates.?

+ Do you know of any special combos you can get from switching up up/ down/ over that can be used more effective then regularly?

Also do you use over b to combo int any other moves (an aerial for example)?

Thanks

IrArby

Smash Ace
I remember M2K posting that he'll use one over B at higher percents to pop up opponents and then use an Uptilt to get the ceiling KO. Other than that I think most people use over B combos to punish spot dodgers and similar things. Not to sure that changing the standard 4 over B's is the best idea. The only substitutes that people normally do are the down B on the third stab and down B on the fourth which gives you the multiple stabs.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Combos... I dunno... side side up side works at lower percents... side up side works kinda like side side side, but it makes me feel cooler... I think you can combo after side side up up.

Binx

Smash Master
I personally almost never use more than the first three hits, good players don't really get hit by the fourth anymore even if it is the d-b.

Sometimes I use the first one as a fast poke vs floaties like JIggs, or Ice Climbers at higher percents. Or to gimp spacies on the last stock.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
At SMYM9 I had 4 falcos in my pool, 2 of them being dope and myztek >.>(i beat the other 2) which is why I've realized I pretty much HAVE to be solid against falco.
I can't handle the shield pressure and lasers controlling the match--I thrive off of giving myself many options, and falco takes away any chance of that i have.
i like the edge guarding gamewith marth and the fact that i just need 1 grab to control the match--but my fox is really technical and i can shield pressure falco just as hard as he can me--i just can't do it whenever i want like he can
advice?
where are you oh cactus like one

I.B

Smash Lord
Just use Marth, and read up on some of that laser spacing theory in Mogwai's Falco guide. He got that stuff off Cactuar.

Also, SDI and/or PS lasers :)

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Just use Marth, and read up on some of that laser spacing theory in Mogwai's Falco guide. He got that stuff off Cactuar.

Also, SDI and/or PS lasers :)
i can powershield 1/3 or 1/4 times
wtf--tank lasers and sdi through LOL
idk about that one :p
and AFAIK marf/flaco is a 50/50 matchup--what is fox/flaco?
and what do I search for to find this guide (or is it stickied?) (I haven't looked yet, I'm about to)

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
hey cactuar, how are you supposed to approach an extremely spammy falco with marth? (this falco player i play against never approaches, but he spams until you approach him.)

i can beat him easily on platform stages, but on FD its just like... zzzz spam fest boring.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Counter is good. uhhhmmmm . . . Ban FD maybe. I wouldn't personally (because of the CG) but if its going to be the main stage where his spam hurts you worst its an easy solution. The advantageous thing about that degree of Falco laser spam is that he's got to be near the ledge already so you're already in a better postion when you do advance. A grab will allow you to put him right at the edge or off of it. EG from thier in whatever textbook way applies.

Just my 2 cents (with an APR of .08%).

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Haha. My strats for approaching vs lasers and the necessary tech skills required are all over the boards.

See: Section 3: Advanced Laser Theory in Mogwai's Falco Guide. (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203781)

Powershielding is optional.
Wavedash out of shield is super necessary.
SDIing lasers is silly and completely unnecessary, but fun to do and useful if you are adept at it.

Tero.

Smash Champion
advice?
screw shield preassure and grab him.
there you go

Tomacawk

Smash Master
screw shield preassure and grab him.
there you go
drill shine->jcgrab out of shine, then? :/
and I'm pretty positive my marf does far better
I'm thinking videos are required, eh..
I'll contact ripple this weekend and see what I can do

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Cactuar-

I have problems with spacies who spot dodge. It looks like the spacies spot dodge (and YL's...but no one plays him) is really fast and I find that Fox and Falco can punish me extremely fast after a spot dodge. What do you recommend I do against a trigger-happy spot dodger?

What are good stages to take a Sheik as Marth? BF won't work...I find YS is pretty even......The only stages I can personally think of would be Mute City and maybe FD? I say Mute City because it's much easier to FS punish her if she can't grab a ledge and she lags after her upB. I also like some of the platforms on there as well because marth can auto tipper and he has plenty of horizontal room to work with fairs, uairs, and utilts.

Brookman

Smash Hero
wait. grab (or tipper :D ). chain grab/toss them off the stage. edge guard. win.

you can totally do all that at 0.

You just have to figure out where the vulnerable frames are in relation, and then react well enough to punish it. This should be fairly easy against people who constantly spot dodge. Hell, if they're as bad as you say they are just walk right up to them.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
thanks for the earlier tip cactuar, but now i have another question =]

with marth... how in the world do you beat a fox and falcon that doesnt want to approach you, and instead he just runs around camping on platforms all dai, and punishes you whenever you make a move? i've tried to outcamp him before, but they really NEVER do approach -_-. so the entire game its just me chasing them forever. and i either win(or lose) by a small margin. should i just camp under their platforms... or what?

Brookman

Smash Hero
Don't just run after them mindlessly. If all they do is run around on platforms move towards them, this will scare them into moving to the top middle platform at which point you cut them off at the chase. If you're using marth it should be easy to wavedash back to center stage and catch them with a an up air as they're landing.

You know where they're going, punish them for it.

bolt.

Smash Ace
How do you train to get better with marth when you can't play with anyone else? Facing lv 9s is completely pointless and it isn't getting me anywhere, so could you list some options, please?

Top Bottom