• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Up and towards the stage for horizontal kill moves like the knee.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
What are your main choices for getting rid of Nana?; she completely throws off my grab game by letting Popo forward or down smash me if I accidentally grab her.

FlipNRed

Smash Apprentice
Hi Cactuar the first time I saw you was when you just signed up for doubles at MLG NY at the expo and was complaining about TopeGay backing out on you as partner (whatever happened to him anyway)

I saw you again at Smashtality 3 in which you were the cause of controversy and splitsies between Chu and M2K and I was Chu's go to guy having seen the whole thing plus "Don't be an idiot, idiot"

At Smashacre my friend and I challenged you and M2K to a MM for fun and you guys said something but we didn't really hear. Did you guys blow us off and weren't worth your time or did you say something like later? I understand M2K was feeling sluggish at the time possibly lacking confidence still recovering from Evo World and needed extra practice.

Thank you for your time and your improvement is inspirational. You and Forward are God Tier in smasher humor.

Lexaeus

Smash Cadet
How do you approach Peach and what stages do you prefer counter-picking her on?

How do you normally kill Peach? Is it mostly by edgeguards or by racking up damage then using up B or forward B to uptilt or something else?

Also, what are some main things I should be watching out for? For example, if a Peach is on a platform she generally downsmashes. Are there certain things Peach usually does against Marth?

When she's grabbing the ledge, how do you normally edgeguard her?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
well i remember asking a question of how he kills peach. Cactuar said he usually up-tilts her to kill her. Or if he can he would f-throw f-smash her.

And if she is above you on a platform ... wouldn't you up-tilt/F-smash?

Lexaeus

Smash Cadet
well i remember asking a question of how he kills peach. Cactuar said he usually up-tilts her to kill her. Or if he can he would f-throw f-smash her.

And if she is above you on a platform ... wouldn't you up-tilt/F-smash?
Well yeah, I was just giving an example. Of course for Marth it isn't a problem, but other characters have to wait for it.

Up tilt is good and all, but how does he set up for it? It's not like he can just wavedash into her and uptilt.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well yeah, I was just giving an example. Of course for Marth it isn't a problem, but other characters have to wait for it.

Up tilt is good and all, but how does he set up for it? It's not like he can just wavedash into her and uptilt.
Well if they are on a platform they set them self up for you.

Im not exactly sure what you mean but whatever ill just let cactuar answer those cuz i dunno what im talking about nearly as well lol

Aesir

Smash Master

Over B, Up tilt.

Not sure if the cactus uses this, but I know LK does. >_>

Scar

#HarveyDent
Cactuar, do you have any signature combos? Chillin has the Chillin combo, Ken has the Ken Combo, and Hylian has the Hyli. What have you to offer the community?

Zone

Smash Champion
I know this may seem like a newbie question but when you say Backthrow fox off the edge, and you manage a reverse poke to send him down a bit. He starts off fox fire. The best part to hit him with of your sword is, Toward your body more, or the tip? Or maybe try and positiont yourself a bit higher. Because I been accidently knocking them up sometimes.

btw I mean running off and doing a f-air.

Zone

Smash Champion
do a weak fair (the non-tipped one)

or time a reverse up b to his recovery
Thanks, and Is it better to jab or f-tilt if falco is trying to illusion pass you on the stage? I see alot more people jabbing now, but I'm still proned to Forward tilt.

Edit: and if Jab is better why? Simple because it's quicker and safer?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Because it's quicker, and less lag if you miss. If they hit you it doesn't matter, but if they went above you or somehow got past the jab and grab the edge, you have more time to react before they hit you.

Zone

Smash Champion
Because it's quicker, and less lag if you miss. If they hit you it doesn't matter, but if they went above you or somehow got past the jab and grab the edge, you have more time to react before they hit you.
Ah, I just like the Forward-tilt knock back compared to jab. But I see what you mean, Like if their illusion clanks with my tilt. I have less time to punish their landing. So Jab would help.

I do poke animals going for the ledge ^^.

I know how to play Marth center stage real well, with baiting missed attacks and combo'ing and all. I'm just really lacking in the edge guarding area. There are times I get them off, and if I knew wth I shoulda done w/o hesitation they should be dead. I should technically be able to gimp a spacie to death once they are off the edge if cards are played right.

Edit: Lacking in edgeguarding space animals. Everyone else I know what i'm doing.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
i never knew cort plays marth O_O.

lmao at the NYC weekly i thought you were sandbagging unbelievably hard vs me cuz u had no clue who i was.

lol i feel a bit better now that you at least remotely play him :laugh:

[/praising better players]

Brookman

Smash Hero
I play everyone

I've been playing this game too long to just play a few characters

- Cort

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I am recently playing more Marth, often because I can be lazy and do well, but mostly because I want to improve many aspects of my game, including spacing, grab combos, edge guarding, and follow-ups.

I'm wondering where and when you apply your over b combos, and also, what are some of your more common follow ups to things like fairs or d-tilts. Also, is Marth's Jab -> Grab viable?

xelad1

Smash Ace
I am recently playing more Marth, often because I can be lazy and do well, but mostly because I want to improve many aspects of my game, including spacing, grab combos, edge guarding, and follow-ups.

I'm wondering where and when you apply your over b combos, and also, what are some of your more common follow ups to things like fairs or d-tilts. Also, is Marth's Jab -> Grab viable?
I personally just throw my over b combos in wherever I think I can get them off, sometimes if an opponent is chasing me down I turn around and do it. Usually I just throw out the first hit and if it connects I follow through otherwise I just stop, also the first hit can pop the opponent at certain percents in the air for a smash or tilt. Just experiment and don't spam it (sometimes I continue it even if the opponent shields to finish with the down combo since it eats away the shield also).

Fairs can be followed up by tons of things, f smash, ken combo... more fairs, just watch how pros use it and experiment with using the tip and the middle. The fair part of marths main approach game. D-tilts I mostly use to space against overly aggressive opponents (since it comes out and finishes really fast) and of course to edgeguard, its a great gimping tool. Another trick I learned from watching M2K is throwing an opponent back near the ledge and turning around and d-tilting really fast in case they flub the tech, if not you can usually grab, and if they tech to your other side you can regrab since the d-tilt is so fast.

I don't know about marth's "jab" to grab, it finishes slowly enough that an opponent should have time to get away, I mainly just use it for some mild spacing and for gimping space animals' over b. That's my 2 cents but I'm not cactuar nor am I that good of a marth... mainly I would just say watch videos and see how and where pros apply things.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
I've got some questions, particularly against Falcon.

I've been playing around with Marth's defensive game:

Dash away -> forward b, particularly against falcon. He does have time to roll away, but do you see any potential here, even as an interruption? Nevertheless, this seems to be a lot more effective on falcon than against spacies, since he doesn't accelerate as fast when falling. Often, I can interrupt them, and they'll shield, after which I quickly grab.

Wavedash back -> neutral swipe / uptilt, particularly against falcon. The problem I'm having is when Falcon overshoots with nair, I end up getting hit anyways. The one counter that I've found against this is wavedash back to shield grab, which works if he doesn't jab me.

What do you think about Marth's fair combos vs. Falcon. I've been able to use this, and finish off with fair offstage chases or a fsmash. What are some ways that Falcon can react to this?

Are there any good specific % ranges where upthrow will guarantee a tipper against falcon? I'm having trouble implementing Marth's upthrow vs. Falcon since he is heavier than spacies, making the upthrow laggier for marth.

I'm also starting to consider playing a spacing game against falcon's approach. It's always good to be right outside his grab range with fairs, but the approach game itself isn't so simple. Falcon's ground and dash dance game is too good. I was thinking about shorthopping backward, and I'm starting to love this idea more and more, since it has huge defensive abilities and combo potential with fair, as well as double jump possibilities going on. What do you think?

Sorry for all of my questions, but I've done a lot of thinking about this matchup over the past few weeks, and there are a lot of specifics that I'm still unsure about. I'm tech chasing falcon a lot, and pushing him to the edge as much as possible, but there are so many things that I'm trying to learn to abuse. :D

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ya i'm curious about upthrow to fsmash as well on di away..it's hard though cause of the lag..i'm guessing there is some time in the 40-50s where it works?

Flarefox

Smash Ace
ya i'm curious about upthrow to fsmash as well on di away..it's hard though cause of the lag..i'm guessing there is some time in the 40-50s where it works?
I've seen it work even at higher %'s, but I'm not sure if that's because of an error or falcon's part or not. I'm pretty sure he can jump out once he gets to the mid %'s.

Top Bottom