• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Cort

Apple Head
Why is our rivalry so beautiful and poetic?

Why did you have to take me out on my birthday?

Why do you not care about this game as much as I do, and then go even with me in tournaments anyway?

Why does my Fox poop on you so hard?

I rewatched American Psycho just cause of your new (ridiculously amazing) sig. The movie is still one of my favorites. Have any other good suggestions for movies I should rewatch/watch for the first time? I haven't seen a lot of good classics, actually. List me a ton. <3

D

Deleted member

umbreon's list of badass movies:

american psycho
pulp fiction
kingdon of heaven
the patriot
troy
precinct 13
blow

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Were you sandbagging me when we played? Because you definitely did better than Ken, and if you WERE sandbagging that would be amazing.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Wobbles I wouldn't doubt it if he was lol. Cactuar is to good.*ends c0ck riding*

But I found that I can start going even against Sheiks now, but I just need a few tips on spacing and how to space well against her and other Marths.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
I officially declare that when people said Cactuar is pro after Evo East, they were correct. Even though the cactus had only one match against me this past Saturday, he still 4 stocked me, and I was only four stocked twice the entire day. As a matter of fact, Cactuar did better than M2K on me. He must be a better sangbagger than m2k :p

takieddine

Smash Master
I officially declare that when people said Cactuar is pro after Evo East, they were correct. Even though the cactus had only one match against me this past Saturday, he still 4 stocked me, and I was only four stocked twice the entire day. As a matter of fact, Cactuar did better than M2K on me. He must be a better sangbagger than m2k :p
obviously M2k is the better sandbagger if you did better against him.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
American Psycho is an amazing movie. I gots two questions...
Why do you up smash so much? And, are you really Batman disguised as a Cactus?
I upsmash because it reminds me of a giant needle penetrating your lower area. And for some reason it is situationally a better thing for me to do more often than not. Upsmash is way underrated.

Apparently I live in Wayne Manor. Does that make me Batmancactus? Only Pakman knows for sure...

Do you go Water Marth (blue marth) every 200 matches or so to safely water your Cactus Marth?

Is there any particular tactic you hope will still be in Brawl? For me I hope dashdancing and L-canceling are still in.

Are you going to SMASHTACLYSM?

In a 100$ moneymatch who would you pick as your opponent on FD: PC Chris, Mew2king, or KoreanDJ?

If a Fox is about midway off the stage (Capable of Phantasming or Firefoxing barely onto the stage is the estimated distance) and they are following. What goes through your mind as they fall and if they continue falling all the way past the edge?
I play Blue Roy to water my Cactus Marth.

I hope swording is still in brawl. That's my favorite.

I am going to smashtaclysm.

I would pick Mew2King. He's by far the easiest of those three people.

WWM2KD? I use whichever edge guarding option I think would be safe and effective. I often mess up when edge guarding just because I get nervous edge guarding spacies in tournament >.>

Is Cactuar not Un-hot and Un-amazing?
Cactuar has needles.

Cactuar, If vampires can only come in your house when they are invited, then what if you have a welcome mat?
Perhaps I should come over to your house and find out?

(Vampirecactus?)

Mr. Cactus, how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?
Depends on the size of your tongue. (Someone find a picture of Trevyn's...)

Edge guarding Jigglypuff: do you typically wait on top off or hang of the edge? Occasionally I can trick them into a ledge hop spike, but it's risky. I would go for b-airs, but unless they are at heavy damage (coming from below) it just gives them enough height to pound back with ease. Help?
I wait on top of the stage in most cases. Just get familiar with a few options at first and practice them until you are super comfortable. After you are able to effectively use whatever you are working on, add some more variety to your edgeguards.

This is Cactuar.

Why aren't you on your own account?
Because you were going to make a post @ bailey telling him to not give Marth advice ever. But you didn't want to do it on Pakman's account.

Why is American psycho so great.

Favorite scene from it and if possible how does that scene help playing marth.

Favorite quote from the movie.
Mostly because Christian Bale is amazing. Partly because Cactus is probably slightly insane.

My favorite scenes are:
The monologue before the threesome.
The scene where he breaks up with Reese Witherspoon. (I need to return some videotapes.)
The scene in front of the ATM. (Feed me a stray cat.)
The first scene of the movie. (Christian Bale is hot.)

Why is half of this thread not related to smash?

Also, I think you played light at SCC. What did you think of him? How did the matches go?
Because it was a given in the first post of the thread that questions may breach the perimeter of the smash realm. This is how we keep things entertaining AND educational!

Light was just campy... He wasn't terrible, but not really a good player yet.

First match was Marth vs Peach on FD iirc. I wasn't really paying attention during that match as Marth vs Peach is easy.

Second match was Fox vs Peach on Jungle Japes. My first stock I suicided at like 28% because I tried to drop under the right platform and illusion to the left edge of the middle platform and missed. My second stock I got downsmashed at like 0, fell off the stage and dropped into the water and didn't recover. I had one stock left and he had 3 and was at mid percent. I kill him normally the first stock, the second stock I push him under the stage, he tries to float over to an edge I can't get to and gets hit by a Klap, third stock he goes to the left platform, I jump in shine him off, he goes under the platform, I drop off the edge and DI in, double jump and hit my head on the top of the platform, fast fall and shine him. He falls into the water and dies, I upb to nowhere and live. It was a pretty funny match. Romeo laughed at me. (Events may be slightly exaggerated, not by much though.)

what's smash?

yeah I thought that was american psycho. I enjoyed watching him chase the girl w/ the chainsaw more.

upsmash is so good.
Smash is a game you hate because you are cursed to play characters that get ***** by Marth. (I believe there are roughly 25 of them.)

Does THE Cactuar play counter-strike source with the tag "<cactus>"? and have a Cactuar spray?
I used to play 1.5/1.6 as Cactus and had a Cactuar spray. But not source.

Play me in tournament.
I hate randoms.

Why is our rivalry so beautiful and poetic?

Why did you have to take me out on my birthday?

Why do you not care about this game as much as I do, and then go even with me in tournaments anyway?

Why does my Fox poop on you so hard?

I rewatched American Psycho just cause of your new (ridiculously amazing) sig. The movie is still one of my favorites. Have any other good suggestions for movies I should rewatch/watch for the first time? I haven't seen a lot of good classics, actually. List me a ton. <3
Because we are soul mates, condemned by society/thesmashbroscommunity to be bitterly locked in battle.

Because me practicing pivot smashes was part of your birthday present.

Because I don't play video games. It's never really been a priority of mine to be a good player. I just play when it's available and because I like the scene. And I play a character that ***** yours. (You should use Falcon or Fox vs me in tourny, you would **** me.).

Read above. Several times.

Were you sandbagging me when we played? Because you definitely did better than Ken, and if you WERE sandbagging that would be amazing.
Admittedly I wasn't going all out, but I wasn't not trying. The first match, I kinda SD'd unnecessarily because of the agreement we had (I should have just played it normal, I make stupid decisions lol). When you grabbed me that first time near the ledge, I wiggled out and fell off, then turned to you and asked if you started a wobble or not, and by the time I looked back at the screen you had edgehogged me and I had dropped too low. I think I died at like high 20's. Completely my fault though. I loved our set. You have gotten much better and I'm very happy to see you making so much progress.

How many cacti would it take to get to the moon?
More like: How many moons would it take to get to Cactus?

cablepuff

Smash Ace
In other words the only character that does not get **** by marth is marth himself. 26 -1 = 25.

Scar

#HarveyDent
In other words the only character that does not get **** by marth is marth himself. 26 -1 = 25.
Remember when that joke was subtle? Also Cactuar, can you please explain why cablepuff's tier list is completely wrong and awful? I know that it is, it's just that... well, I can't put my finger on why.

Maybe because Marth is horribly underrated since he's debatably the best character in the game, and Samus has been terribly overrated along with Peach.

Brookman

Smash Hero
News of this thread, combined with my lack of subscription to it has cause me to become severely depressed. Would it be possible to get some prickly cactus loving of the semi-naked variety next time we meet?

Cort

Apple Head
News of this thread, combined with my lack of subscription to it has cause me to become severely depressed. Would it be possible to get some prickly cactus loving of the semi-naked variety next time we meet?
I want in.

edit// Cactuar, I also noticed I enjoy the way you write. It sounds a lot like the way you talk. That's cool.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Why have I not met Cactuar? When you come down to VA lemme know Cactuar. I wanna know what tourney you going to.. then I can see your spiky awesomeness. Marth dittos FTW!

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
hey cactuar do you have any advice against yoshi. There's no matchup guide or even that much information on the matchup in the marth forums.. i had to go to the yoshi forums just to get even some glimmerings of an idea

but ya..CC plus DJC aerials can make the matchup hard for me..and i don't really hae any clue what i ought to be doing as marth in this matchup..i tried for the most part playing it as i would against a sheik but it didn't quite work..he's probably just better than me though...still help would be nice.

oh and what can i do out of grabs? just fthrow chains or dthrow fsmash or techchases? i'm guessing they just DJC out of the upthrow.

shiri also mentioned that you can grab yoshi's out of their doublejump..not sure how effective that is or how you set up for it..would you have time after hitting them with a fair to just grab? assuming they DJC it.

DuKe™

Smash Journeyman
what a good way to prevent getting comboed on by falco and do you always DI away from falcon and is it good to fast fall before you fair

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Remember when that joke was subtle? Also Cactuar, can you please explain why cablepuff's tier list is completely wrong and awful? I know that it is, it's just that... well, I can't put my finger on why.

Maybe because Marth is horribly underrated since he's debatably the best character in the game, and Samus has been terribly overrated along with Peach.
Remember when I put that thing in that place that time?

Cablepuff's tier list is mostly wrong because the first tier is labeled <NEO>. It's more like Sheik Fox Marth Falco are all close in awesomeness. Every other character doesn't matter.

A true Cactus could never resist having a great time with a Brook-man.

Why have I not met Cactuar? When you come down to VA lemme know Cactuar. I wanna know what tourney you going to.. then I can see your spiky awesomeness. Marth dittos FTW!
Because you are a silly person.

I'm in VA a surprising amount considering the distance. I'll post before I come down to VA.

hey cactuar do you have any advice against yoshi. There's no matchup guide or even that much information on the matchup in the marth forums.. i had to go to the yoshi forums just to get even some glimmerings of an idea

but ya..CC plus DJC aerials can make the matchup hard for me..and i don't really hae any clue what i ought to be doing as marth in this matchup..i tried for the most part playing it as i would against a sheik but it didn't quite work..he's probably just better than me though...still help would be nice.

oh and what can i do out of grabs? just fthrow chains or dthrow fsmash or techchases? i'm guessing they just DJC out of the upthrow.

shiri also mentioned that you can grab yoshi's out of their doublejump..not sure how effective that is or how you set up for it..would you have time after hitting them with a fair to just grab? assuming they DJC it.
Marth vs Yoshi is kinda weird. I usually just sword spam them. Fthrow and dthrow vs yoshi, not uthrow. Other than that, just rack up damage on them before edgeguarding. Yoshi is hard to gimp most of the time, so just understand it's probably going to take a little more effort and damage. (I play Fox vs Yoshi more than Marth.)

what a good way to prevent getting comboed on by falco and do you always DI away from falcon and is it good to fast fall before you fair
Having good DI/SDI.

I use a variety of different DI's vs Falcon.

It is a good idea to fast fall... pretty much everything.

cablepuff

Smash Ace
Remember when I put that thing in that place that time?
Cablepuff's tier list is mostly wrong because the first tier is labeled <NEO>. It's more like Sheik Fox Marth Falco are all close in awesomeness. Every other character doesn't matter.
Actually cactuar, that was NEO's opinion of the tier list thus the reason I put NEO. Its old (MLG 2005ish) and things change.

GMhyprid

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about the edgegaurding Azen does in these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-jvtKfLrGk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeFGVCdx9C8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWQq-09I1Y

Granted, these aren't the most recent videos out there, but using shield breaker in some situations to edgegaurd seems pretty good since it has less lag than Fsmash and you might be able to hit the recovering space animal even if u don't hit with it. Is it good to use if either Falco or Fox is a fair distance off the edge since they will have less options to get back on the edge? I don't see other Marth players use shield breaker edge gaurding much at all, so I'm wondering how viable it might be to use every once and awhile.

Thanks for your time.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Keitaro - im almost certain that was sarcasm.........................................................

cactuar - ure awesome :) and i wanna play u im going to VLS so hopefully i can play u there???

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
True, but I dunno. Cactuar did say he does better against M2K in Marth dittos then Ken vs M2K so I thought he may have an easier time facing a M2K then a PC, Ken, Azen etc.

DarkLink--Ita

Smash Cadet
Hi Cactuar, firts of all congratulation for your Marth, it's awesome..
Now my questions:
1) I saw almost every Marth DDing and/or WDing continually when the opponent isn't very close.
I've tried to use this strat against my friends to confuse them, but sometimes they "broke" my DD and start a combo. DD and WD are supposed to confuse the enemy, but sometimes i can't almost use them well, quite the opposite, when i DD i'm vulnerable. Any suggestion?

2)What i have to do against a Shiek shieldgrabber? Just DD grab or maybe you have some tricks?

3) Would you come to Italy? :p

Thanks very much and good luck ;)
See ya!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english!

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
whats the best way to approach sheik
Sword first.

It depends on the level of sheik. If they needle camp it's pretty hard as you really just have to get close and hope they fall for baiting or something. If they don't abuse needles, you can usually just go in swinging if you can space well and they don't CC well.

I have a question about the edgegaurding Azen does in these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-jvtKfLrGk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeFGVCdx9C8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWQq-09I1Y

Granted, these aren't the most recent videos out there, but using shield breaker in some situations to edgegaurd seems pretty good since it has less lag than Fsmash and you might be able to hit the recovering space animal even if u don't hit with it. Is it good to use if either Falco or Fox is a fair distance off the edge since they will have less options to get back on the edge? I don't see other Marth players use shield breaker edge gaurding much at all, so I'm wondering how viable it might be to use every once and awhile.

Thanks for your time.
I don't really like watching vids so I'm not going to do a response to what he does in the vids, but the shield breaker is good for different things in edgeguarding. It doesn't matter as much if you tip the shield breaker or not (there is still a difference, but it hits strong everywhere unlike the fsmash), so you can use it against an opponent who might go for the edge or try and go up to avoid an attack as it has a much longer charge period than the fsmash. Ultimately it's really a matter of preference or what you are comfortable with. Practice all options, then choose what you like best.

How's is M2K the easiest? Is this just against you or in general?
I practice against him and know his style better.

If I was unbiased I'd probably pick PC.

Keitaro - im almost certain that was sarcasm.........................................................

cactuar - ure awesome :) and i wanna play u im going to VLS so hopefully i can play u there???
I'm pretty sure I'm going to VLS, so yeah sure we can play. Just ask me to play and I'll sit down with you.

Hi Cactuar, firts of all congratulation for your Marth, it's awesome..
Now my questions:
1) I saw almost every Marth DDing and/or WDing continually when the opponent isn't very close.
I've tried to use this strat against my friends to confuse them, but sometimes they "broke" my DD and start a combo. DD and WD are supposed to confuse the enemy, but sometimes i can't almost use them well, quite the opposite, when i DD i'm vulnerable. Any suggestion?

2)What i have to do against a Shiek shieldgrabber? Just DD grab or maybe you have some tricks?

3) Would you come to Italy? :p

Thanks very much and good luck ;)
See ya!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english!
The point of DDing is to keep yourself spaced from your opponent. Don't just DD in place when they aren't near you. When they start breaking the distance, pay attention and move accordingly. Your purpose is to bait them by moving in and out of range, then punish when they mess up.

I use well spaced attacks. Marth's sword is really long. :laugh:
Sheik's shieldgrab is really good though. I'd suggest working on your fluidity to the point that you can do a late fair and run away. From there, if they whiff a shieldgrab you can turn around and punish them.

Not by the time brawl comes out unfortunately. It's kinda expensive and I'm still in college. :laugh:

Why do you full-hop f-air?
Is this a general question for why a Marth player should full hop fair or why I specifically full hop fair?

Crusade

Smash Rookie
Cactuar, I was wondering if you knew any universal combos other than the Ken combo.

I'm looking to add a little more variety to my game before I play in my first tourney next week.

Thx in advance =).

xelad1

Smash Ace
just wondering what are good stages for a marth to pick against peach. Does he have any set counterpick stages or any odd ones (like raibow cruise or something crazy like that) or is there nowhere where marth has some sort of stage advantage. I feel like Yoshi's story (although traditionally a popular marth stage against a variety of characters) seems very weak against peach despite the small walls... am I right to think this or am I of the ******** variety.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so cactuar...i remember vaguely you saying that you liked the upsmash? where and for what? the other day i was trying to find the percentage to use it in marth's chaingrab on falco..but to hvae it kill requires too high percentage....i can use it in place of the uptilt at some percents...but is it easier or harder to DI?

actually in friendlies my friend was so shocked at the upsmash that he stood there and took upsmash to upsmash to upsmash without jumping out..he just sorta let go of the controller...it was like...wth..upsmash? but yes, i guess i could use it to kill floaties but there is no good setup i feel guess i can use it after an upair..but it's rather hard to get the spacing right

Cort

Apple Head
straight up

General rule of thumb is DIing perpendicular to the trajectory of the move that hits you

majority of moves send you away and slightly up, in which case you should DI up and slightly towards the stage.

fox's usmash sends you straight up, you DI the way he's facing

knee sends you away, same with sheik fair, so you DI UP

get it? :D

takieddine

Smash Master
In some situations you'd want to DI them down if you know you can hit the ground at tech roll off it.

but yeah Cort's pretty much right, and amazing...

Top Bottom