• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captaining Project M: Olimar Discussion

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Thanks for the link. It took me a while, but I think I got his DACUS down. I have to ask though, what would be the applications of it? Unless I'm doing it wrong, Oli's doesn't seem to go very far.
To be honest, I haven't really messed with the DACUS much due to random stuff and me not being able to do DACUS very well. I knew he could do it, due to that thread. It probably has its uses, I just don't know them at the moment. It would be nice if we could do the Gatling combo. I'm not sure if he can do it er not, let alone, what is needed to do it.
Most good opponents can avoid getting hit while youre invincible by ledge stalling or running. Also what is this pikmin slide?
Its when you do a short hop side B wave land. Saying all that is sorta a mouth full, so I just threw a name on it.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Shorthop Side B> Waveland

Edit: Nvm, didn't notice that there was another page. Hey ez, do you have any videos of you playing Olimar? You contribute alot to these threads, so I was wondering if I could maybe learn a thing or two from watching you play Olimar.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Shorthop Side B> Waveland

Edit: Nvm, didn't notice that there was another page. Hey ez, do you have any videos of you playing Olimar? You contribute alot to these threads, so I was wondering if I could maybe learn a thing or two from watching you play Olimar.
Nope
I have a tourney in SC coming up on the 11th. I should have some videos up for that. I've been trying to get people to play some PM with me, but, because of the holidays, people have been to busy. If I do happen to get any vids, I'll make a thread asap.

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
I would like to suggest something that would make Olimar better and more fun to play with. Olimar is mostly about Pikmin Management. However managing 5 random Pikmin possible options when plucked is not so easy and not very fun. I often throw Pikmin off the stage or try to get them killed so I can have a chance at getting the one I need.

I suggest a tweak to the Pikmin Pluck. If the player holds the B Button when performing the Pikmin Pluck, then a Purple or White Pikmin will appear. If the player taps the B Button, a Red, Blue, or Yellow Pikmin will appear.

I believe this will allow me to take advantage of the opponents health by having Purple and White Pikmin at the beginning of the stock and then opting for more consistent hard hitters Blue, Red, and Yellow as well as trying to use Blue for throw kills when their percent is higher.

I think this is also more true to the series since Olimar is always given the option to bring the Pikmin of choice with him wherever he goes so he can use them where they are most effective.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I like that idea.
Also, what do you guys do against yoshi? That mu seems in his favor and I struggled in it. I can post some things that do and don't work, if you guys like.

I see you lurking, blue mage lol

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
So is there any sick Olimar video yet? i'm looking forward to see what Olimar mains can do, i know that in the right hands Olimar is a great opponet.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
I like that idea.
Also, what do you guys do against yoshi? That mu seems in his favor and I struggled in it. I can post some things that do and don't work, if you guys like.

I see you lurking, blue mage lol
Caught me, huh? I'm always skulking around here :p

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
^this guy
So is there any sick Olimar video yet? i'm looking forward to see what Olimar mains can do, i know that in the right hands Olimar is a great opponet.
noop
There is a video from calabrel tho. This is probably the only Olimar video I have seen.
']I don't think he will be playing that character seriously.

Something cool I noticed, when you are in the middle of the yoshi's melee stage, you can throw a yellow pikmin right on the platforms.

Oh yea, I got some IC MU knowledge.
With all the new de-syncs, don't even bother grabbing ether of them. This used to be a thing in melee but in here, not even. If you nair and land between them, dsmash sends them in different directions. You usually wanna go to a stage with platforms so you can get them to a stage where CGs aren't to big. Don't go to a small stage, IC can overwhelm you quickly. That's about it, for what I remember atm.

Last edited:

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
ICs can be picked apart by oli now. In brawl, it was horrid. If they start doing desynch blizzwalls, you're in trouble. Other than that, seperate the climbers and then repeat this simple process:

Kill the b****.
Camp the bro.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAk6xSmFhPM

Got a match and looking for some critique.

Thanks!
Pretty good match! I noticed a few things here and there.
•You got dunked on that one because you over extend
•Really learn the range of that usmash, you missed a few times throught the vid and they did not go w/o punishment.
•I don't know if you know this, but you can waveland after a short hopped whistle. You made pretty good use of your whistle btw.
•If you see the person charging a smash, go for ledge. If they are on the ledge ether aim high or get the ledge and then consider if you wanna stall for a moment by dropping off the ledge and then up B'ing right after or w/e it is you use to stall.

Here's a tip that could help you against m2, specifically when trying to edgeguard him. Treat it almost the same way you would shiek. So trick them into thinking your just going to hold the ledge, that you might fair them, basically, condition them into thinking you will edge guard a certain way and punish them. If m2 knows he can't get the ledge he will probably go for the platform. Easily punished by fair. If he goes onto the stage, I'm sure you'll think of something.

Keep up the good work.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Pretty good match! I noticed a few things here and there.
•You got dunked on that one because you over extend
•Really learn the range of that usmash, you missed a few times throught the vid and they did not go w/o punishment.
•I don't know if you know this, but you can waveland after a short hopped whistle. You made pretty good use of your whistle btw.
•If you see the person charging a smash, go for ledge. If they are on the ledge ether aim high or get the ledge and then consider if you wanna stall for a moment by dropping off the ledge and then up B'ing right after or w/e it is you use to stall.

Here's a tip that could help you against m2, specifically when trying to edgeguard him. Treat it almost the same way you would shiek. So trick them into thinking your just going to hold the ledge, that you might fair them, basically, condition them into thinking you will edge guard a certain way and punish them. If m2 knows he can't get the ledge he will probably go for the platform. Easily punished by fair. If he goes onto the stage, I'm sure you'll think of something.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the advice, still learning how too play olimar an all his intricacies.

(Timing on the waveland out of sideb is pretty strict)

Oracle

Smash Master
i've heard in brawl if you get down to one climber you don't even have to try and kill popo. just camp him and filter your pikmin so that when you eventually do kill popo you'll have a few flowered purples

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Olimar's good guys. Has anyone explored wavebouncing whistle? It's pretty amazing. You can zigzag in the air instantaneously for free.
I have heard about this once er twice before. Really, I'm not sure how good it actually is. I'm really fond of my c-stick and I still use it when I charge my smash atks. I'll see how good it is and if its something ground breaking, I'll adopt this technique.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Can someone explain how wave-bouncing works? I don't understand how to consistently do it.
From what I know, all you do is make your C stick do B specials by going into your controls and setting it to do so. Then you just do it

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
What are things that you guys think would make Olimar better?

I looked at the other suggestions like having 1 color pikmin that you always use first until you whistle to change it, or making the light on his antenna change to the color of the pikmin currently in line. I also had the suggestion of having control over which pikmin you plucked for having better options so you can use the right tool for the job. These were great ideas!

Olimar also has a very difficult recovery as he's incredibly vulnerable when knocked off stage. virtually any attempt to attack him while off stage is unapposed. Since he needs use his whistle to get his Pikmin back to him (often needs to use it twice) as will as get the hop from the Pikmin Pluck, he is mostly unable to defend himself. Other characters with similar recovery styles have at least a defense (Mario Cape, Tornado, Ivysaur Dair, and a very long tether) and I think Olimar should have a few more options that are effective and not so predictable.

A few Ideas:
Hover Whistle. It could make him hover for a brief moment which would allow him to get closer to the stage and give him more flexability defensivley when returning.
Pros: This would give him a great change up when returning to the stage, throwing people off on where he will be. It would also prevent the uneccissary drop he get from using the whistle in the current 3.0 version. It would also be a great tool for baiting and faking people out while on stage. This is very useful since Olimar doesn't have an answer when being attacked from below.
Cons: The only con I can really see is if you wanted to fall but it kept you up. Not much of a con.

Purple Pikmin Momentum. Throwing the Purple Pikmin would increase Olimars forward momentum.
Pros: For recovery, it would get him back to the stage quicker. On stage, he could use it as a way to get in and start a combo.
Cons: Sometimes you want to keep your distance from your opponent.

Pikmin also need to be more reliable. Many times it would seem as though the Pikmin should have tethered to the ledge but they miss.

There was also a really fun combo that Olimar could do in Brawl that I would like to see return. It was really simple. Short Hop > Side B > Fair. This was a great combo to get someone flying with a Pikmin attached and get some free damage.

I would also like to see his Dair come out a bit faster again. It is satisfying to get the spike but it just feels too slow for him.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
What are things that you guys think would make Olimar better?

I looked at the other suggestions like having 1 color pikmin that you always use first until you whistle to change it, or making the light on his antenna change to the color of the pikmin currently in line. I also had the suggestion of having control over which pikmin you plucked for having better options so you can use the right tool for the job. These were great ideas!

Olimar also has a very difficult recovery as he's incredibly vulnerable when knocked off stage. virtually any attempt to attack him while off stage is unapposed. Since he needs use his whistle to get his Pikmin back to him (often needs to use it twice) as will as get the hop from the Pikmin Pluck, he is mostly unable to defend himself. Other characters with similar recovery styles have at least a defense (Mario Cape, Tornado, Ivysaur Dair, and a very long tether) and I think Olimar should have a few more options that are effective and not so predictable.

A few Ideas:
Hover Whistle. It could make him hover for a brief moment which would allow him to get closer to the stage and give him more flexability defensivley when returning.
Pros: This would give him a great change up when returning to the stage, throwing people off on where he will be. It would also prevent the uneccissary drop he get from using the whistle in the current 3.0 version. It would also be a great tool for baiting and faking people out while on stage. This is very useful since Olimar doesn't have an answer when being attacked from below.
Cons: The only con I can really see is if you wanted to fall but it kept you up. Not much of a con.

Purple Pikmin Momentum. Throwing the Purple Pikmin would increase Olimars forward momentum.
Pros: For recovery, it would get him back to the stage quicker. On stage, he could use it as a way to get in and start a combo.
Cons: Sometimes you want to keep your distance from your opponent.

Pikmin also need to be more reliable. Many times it would seem as though the Pikmin should have tethered to the ledge but they miss.

There was also a really fun combo that Olimar could do in Brawl that I would like to see return. It was really simple. Short Hop > Side B > Fair. This was a great combo to get someone flying with a Pikmin attached and get some free damage.

I would also like to see his Dair come out a bit faster again. It is satisfying to get the spike but it just feels too slow for him.
I agree with all this.

In addition, I would like dsmash, fsmash and maybe a few other pikmin attacks to receive some sorta buff. The biggest problem I have with those attacks, is the fact that, we ether hit the person or they send your pikmin to the next dimension. I don't mean they kill them, but your pikmin get sent extremely far out of the players sight. So far in fact, that if you were to simply wait for them to come back, you would already be dead. You can whistle them back, but you don't always have time to do so and just the sight of your pikmin not being visible is rather annoying.
I would like the moves to have more priority or maybe be able to clank or something. The moves are pretty good once you wait around for your pikmin to flower, but come on!

Another thing I have noticed, is when you are hit, while you're off stage, sometimes your pikmin just fall off. The hover whistle would fix that or they could remove that problem from the game completely. Ether would be fine with me.

We should probably make a Olimar wish list.

Last edited:

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAk6xSmFhPM

Got a match and looking for some critique.

Thanks!
Just a few things I thought I might add:
try doing some more b-reversals with the whistle when you're landing, since olimar's landing options are pretty bad as it is. Also, this sounds pretty basic, but throw more pikmin. if you have the room and don't think the space between you and opponent will be closed any time soon, throw pikmin. Lastly, until proven otherwise, I'm not convinced that olimar's dtilt or ftilt are any better in P:M than they were in Brawl (i.e. garbage).
0:55--I'm a big fan of retreating nair's out of shield as a way to reset. It's obviously not a good option under serious pressure like pillaring or something, but you'd be surprised how often opponents will let you get away with nair'ing OoS while drifting out of their range.
1:05--Again, ftilt couldn't have been your best way to punish his whiffed smash. Though I think it might have just been you panicking since you just landed and whiffed an usmash of your own. It happens.
1:28--First, I would get use to your grab whiffing through some dash attacks, I know it can happen with ZSS's dash attack and few others. But right after you miss the grab, you seem to freak out and press all the options you're used to pressing when you don't know what to do. You throw out a bair (which is a fine way to retreat) and then a ftilt just 'cause. Surprise surpise, you get punished for the ftilt and eat 3 uairs. Also, a few seconds later when you do get back on stage, I like the early upB to avoid his bair. Gotta do what you need to get back.
1:39--You do a good job of reading where he lands with the teleport, but utilt is kind of a goofy way to punish it. I personally would have tried to go for a grab and bthrow, but to each their own.
1:50-2:10ish--Keep in mind that purple uthrow is a good kill option too. Im not sure if it would kill m2 on that stage at 110% (I haven't played the game enough), but just keep it in mind since you seemed to be fishing for a purple usmash to get rid of his stock. Any grab that can kill around 110% is good news since that's when people start getting scared and therefore shielding more often.
2:17--Can't tell you how many times this has happened to me before. Whistling and farming pikmin while the opponent respawns is the right thing to do, just make sure you're not so focused on it that you forget to get out range of your now-invincible opponent when they do spawn.
2:24--You fair with a white pikmin. Being able to tell which pikmin comes up next in your order is something that becomes second nature when you play olimar, but it definitely helps to watch what pikmin comes out of the ground first when you respawn (in this case white, which you should have thrown at him immediately).
2:45--You hit the ledge and then immediately to your ledge attack. When you opponent wasn't on the stage to begin with. Probably just a bad habit/technical error/panic but just make sure to think about your options on the ledge before you select one.
3:01--This is something you've done a few times in the match, where you just retreat across the stage and whistle and then come back. In my opinion, you don't really need to whistle a certain pikmin to the front unless you have a stray white pikmin while your opponent is at like 130% and a white pikmin is the last thing you need. But, in that hypothetical case, you can just throw the white pikmin (if you have the time), so it either A. falls off the stage and dies, B. hits the opponent and they kill it for you, or C. hits the ground and goes to the back of your line, which works anyway. So in short, there's no real reason to ever just run away and whistle to get a certain color up front or anything. Especially not when your opponent is is on the ledge and running away from them just gives them a free pass back onto the stage.
3:20--another flaccid fair with a white pikmin. Another helpful way to keep track of the whites in your line is to remember that whites will frequently follow blues (which it did here), especially if you whistled in the last 15ish seconds. Not a sure-fire rule since pikmin colors get jumbled up after use, but just something to keep in mind.
3:47--good job saving your jump till you absolutely needed it.
3:50-4:00ish--Not to harp on the same thing over and over, but especially while your opponent respawns, look at your lineup. You had a white at the front of your linup for about ten seconds before fair'ing with it.

Any way, that's that. I'm relatively new to P:M but these are just basic olimar 101 things that transfer over from brawl.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Ftilt is god like. Try, I dunno, using it. It's great for edge guards.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
I'll give it a shot, but when the opponent is on the stage it looks like shieldgrab fodder to me and when they're off the stage it looks like something better taken care of with fsmash. I'll report back haha

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
it's marginally definitely stronger and (I just tested) doesn't kill pit on the edge of FD at 100% (facing towards the closest blast zone, of course). I dunno, maybe it's got more use in P:M since olimar's fsmash is significantly slower, but I would not call ftilt a go-to punish move, or approach move, GTFO move, or kill move. There are better options for all the above.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I just tried B stick with Olimar. It's meh at best. When you do a standing side B I notice your white pikmin go a bit father. I'm the others do as well, I didn't mess with it to much but yea, B stick = waste here.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
A grab at 0% should lead to an easy 60+. After dthrow/upthrow you should get another free re grab (Unless blue not sure) to an upsmash to whatever the hell you want.

If you want to get fancy after the upsmash you could try for a dair for a techchase position. (Covered easily by dsmash, or shield if you suspect they will get up attack.

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. So I've been using Olimar in some friendlies lately and have actually enjoyed using him (I never really used him in Brawl). I am actually considering trying to play him seriously and am wondering if there are any tips I should know right off the bat. I'll try to post some videos up when I get the chance for more advice.

NiPPs

Smash Cadet
olimars recovery is amazing in this game. if you die outside of being cleanly killed you're doing something wrong. tether recovery is amazing in pm and olimars new pluck in the air allows for that extra boost he needs to recover. it also allows for landing mix ups and one cool thing that i like to do sometimes is when im getting back onto the stage from the ledge id jump and immediately pluck in the air and then immediately dair or fair and it seems to throw people off due to the element of surprise. What i don't like about olimar is how anything with a sword is a tough match up for olimar especially metaknight. its not a terrible match up but its in the sword users favor. pivot grabbing is essential to his success in pm as his throws always lead to combos/kills. always be sure to know where your white and purples are as well. another amazingly annoying thing to do with olimar is throw a white pikmin and then grab for massive damage due to pummeling and the white being attached. that goes for any pikmin but white especially (ridiculous if its flowered too). one other thing i feel olimar has a tough time with is edge guarding. i feel its essentially a guessing game of going for an up or down smash as i feel side smash is too slow unless they're recovering low which can be covered by a fast fall fair(works especially well against fellow tether characters). Lastly, when versing spacies, downsmash is their demise. back throw to a down smash or forward throw to downsmash is gimp material at 0% if theyre by the edge obviously. when they use side b to recover a well timed downsmash is instant death especially for falco. overall though i feel olimar isnt a top character but isn't horrendous either. thats my two cents about him :p

edit: one more thing. sometimes when my pikmin desync, they'll literally dissapear making me think i should pick new ones which i cant. Then when i realize i have to whistle even though they are nowhere in sight, they magically reappear and seem to come out from a random corner of the screen. any1 else have that issue or am i just missing something?

Last edited:

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
olimars recovery is amazing in this game. if you die outside of being cleanly killed you're doing something wrong. tether recovery is amazing in pm and olimars new pluck in the air allows for that extra boost he needs to recover. it also allows for landing mix ups and one cool thing that i like to do sometimes is when im getting back onto the stage from the ledge id jump and immediately pluck in the air and then immediately dair or fair and it seems to throw people off due to the element of surprise. What i don't like about olimar is how anything with a sword is a tough match up for olimar especially metaknight. its not a terrible match up but its in the sword users favor. pivot grabbing is essential to his success in pm as his throws always lead to combos/kills. always be sure to know where your white and purples are as well. another amazingly annoying thing to do with olimar is throw a white pikmin and then grab for massive damage due to pummeling and the white being attached. that goes for any pikmin but white especially (ridiculous if its flowered too). one other thing i feel olimar has a tough time with is edge guarding. i feel its essentially a guessing game of going for an up or down smash as i feel side smash is too slow unless they're recovering low which can be covered by a fast fall fair(works especially well against fellow tether characters). Lastly, when versing spacies, downsmash is their demise. back throw to a down smash or forward throw to downsmash is gimp material at 0% if theyre by the edge obviously. when they use side b to recover a well timed downsmash is instant death especially for falco. overall though i feel olimar isnt a top character but isn't horrendous either. thats my two cents about him :p

edit: one more thing. sometimes when my pikmin desync, they'll literally dissapear making me think i should pick new ones which i cant. Then when i realize i have to whistle even though they are nowhere in sight, they magically reappear and seem to come out from a random corner of the screen. any1 else have that issue or am i just missing something?
Sometimes they get hit really high up or get stuck in corners of the stage and weird stuff like that. You might also be experiencing this, which is apparently still a problem in P:M (saw it in the bugs reporting forum). http://smashboards.com/threads/ghost-pikmin-glitch-olimar-cant-throw-pkmin.155269/

RabidJackal

Smash Apprentice
I've been experimenting with a way to play Oli. Whenever I'm at a low % and have 1-2 purple pikmin available, I throw the pikmin that aren't purple offstage. This leaves me with only purple pikmin at my disposal. The combo potential when the enemy is at low % is insane, and when they get high % the kill potential is there as well. Purple pikmin just have so much range & power that Oli becomes a tiny wrecking ball. Unfortunately when you have 1-2 pikmin available your recovery obviously is weaker. That's why I usually only do it when I'm at low % so I can abuse Oli's early durability and try to recover high most of the time.
Adding onto my original post here. It's only effective to do this if you have 2 purple pikmin, 1 just isn't worth it all. Using the side-b in conjunction w/ his aerials makes approaching a whole lot easier & stronger. I'm going to try to record tonight at my friend's place so I can show you all its true power

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
I haven't seen too much stuff about Olimar so sorry if this is a redundant question.
My roommate has been using Olimar some, but is getting discouraged because of up-b. There are so many times where it seems that it should latch on to the edge but just doesn't attach. There have also been a few glitchy moments where he would just instantaneously end up on the stage after up-b, like up-b transported him there without touching the ledge at all which completely throws off his timing.
Are these known things, or has he just been unlucky?

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen too much stuff about Olimar so sorry if this is a redundant question.
My roommate has been using Olimar some, but is getting discouraged because of up-b. There are so many times where it seems that it should latch on to the edge but just doesn't attach. There have also been a few glitchy moments where he would just instantaneously end up on the stage after up-b, like up-b transported him there without touching the ledge at all which completely throws off his timing.
Are these known things, or has he just been unlucky?
I haven't heard of the instantaneous transportation thing, but his recovery can be frustratingly inconsistent, as with basically every one of olimar's moves that require pikmin. The inconsistency isn't so great that he's not worth playing or is bad or anything, but yeah it can be annoying.
Adding onto my original post here. It's only effective to do this if you have 2 purple pikmin, 1 just isn't worth it all. Using the side-b in conjunction w/ his aerials makes approaching a whole lot easier & stronger. I'm going to try to record tonight at my friend's place so I can show you all its true power
In a perfect world, this would be viable, but it sounds like whoever you're playing isn't pressuring you much at all.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
So I have a few issues with Oli. I enjoy playing him. I find him fun to play. But I don't like the following about him compared to brawl.

Less pikmin(not really that big of an issue for me tbh.)
Increased lag on upsmash and smaller hitbox(or at least it feels like it)
Smaller grab range. (or at least it feels like it)
No super armor on whistle
pikmin not joining in on upb sometimes. (only happened a few times and it seemed random)

Also I was playing tonight with a buddy and he was able to struggle out of multiple throws at 0 percent before I could even try to throw him. Then another time at like 80 percent and then I fell of the stage from pushback or something? I don't fully grasp Oli.

What things in your opinion make Oli really good right now?

Off the top of my head my favorites are
pikmin pluck for recovery.
side b damage.
up tilt.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
So I have a few issues with Oli. I enjoy playing him. I find him fun to play. But I don't like the following about him compared to brawl.

Less pikmin(not really that big of an issue for me tbh.)
Increased lag on upsmash and smaller hitbox(or at least it feels like it)
Smaller grab range. (or at least it feels like it)
No super armor on whistle
pikmin not joining in on upb sometimes. (only happened a few times and it seemed random)

Also I was playing tonight with a buddy and he was able to struggle out of multiple throws at 0 percent before I could even try to throw him. Then another time at like 80 percent and then I fell of the stage from pushback or something? I don't fully grasp Oli.

What things in your opinion make Oli really good right now?

Off the top of my head my favorites are
pikmin pluck for recovery.
side b damage.
up tilt.
the mashing out of your grabs at 0 % was because he was at 0%.None of olimar's throws are particularly fast in startup in like lucario's or wario's fthrow (in PM). On top of that, opponents generally have a little longer to mash before oli can throw them since there's the time spent with the opponent getting reeled in towards olimar, whereas other characters have the opponent already in their grasp the moment the grab connects. But mainly, he was able to mash out because he was at 0%. At 80% it sounds like you kept you him grabbed for a little too long and/or he's really good at mashing, but yeah the pushback on grab-release happens sometimes. I'm not too sure on the conditions in which that pushback happens, since it's definitely not 100% of the time. If anyone has a better of idea of this, please tell.
Also, on the note of mashing and grabs, does anyone know if yellow throws have any hitstun? In brawl they didn't and it was a fun way to tell if your opponent was mashing or if they were too lazy (over wifi at least, when you couldn't hear them mashing right next to you). I'm not near my wii so I can't test it out right now.
As far as what makes him good, basically everything that made him good brawl but generally to a lesser degree. Notable buffs include his mid-air pikmin pluck, ftilt, fair sorta just cause you can l-cancel it now, and pummeling with a white pikmin. Lastly, call me traditionalist, but I preferred his brawl uptilt a lot more.

NiPPs

Smash Cadet
@KeKe thank you man. glad to know its an already known issue.

@ Sharkz Sharkz i think i know what you mean man. i think what you're saying is that when ur friend up b's olimar basically teleports back onto the stage after up-b but hes in the air above the ledge instead of hanging on the ledge. If thats what you mean i think it occurs when someone tries to edge guard you by hanging on the ledge before you up b. you either instantly teleport like i just described here or you hit them with the up b and and up on/above the stage by the edge. i hope that kinda makes sense or is what you are talking about. idk if its a glitch or intended to do this.

@ Sinz Sinz pretty sure he does have a smaller grab range then his brawl counterpart. not sure about his upsmash hitbox length but it feels like a good length. when it comes to recovering, if you're far enough off the stage always pluck whistle up b to assure that you have the maximum pikmin to reach the ledge. if you're close just whistle up b unless your opponent is far enough back to give you the time to pluck first. im sure most olimar players like yourself already know that but i figured id share it anyway haha. i haven't had many issues with pikmin not joining the up b.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
His grab range is smaller (except for maybe purples, which might have better grab range than in brawl similar to the buff in purple fsmash range), and the forward-facing hitbox on upsmash is significantly decreased. You have to be like touching your opponent to hit them with the forward-facing part of usmash now.

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
Olimar is really fun to play but it can be incredibly frustrating due to how inconsistant his moves are. He also can't take an ounce of pressure and is virtually defenseless when above an opponent. I understand that there is a balance where he cant be capable of dealing a ton of damage and have defense options up the yang like in brawl but he needs some more defensive options. I'm sure that he's a pain to balance and I'm glad he's under powered now so they can slowly buff him. I think there are a lot of fantastic ideas that have been brought up in this thread and the Olimar wish list, and I hope to see some of them implemented.

@ NiPPs NiPPs , His recovery is not amazing at all. While virtually all other characters are able to do something to discourage opponents from coming out after them, Olimar is free pickings. As soon as he's hit off stage, he has to Neutral B for the hop, Whistle, (oftern twice) Jump, and then do his super predictable Up B tether grab. If he gets nicked at all during this, count him dead. I agree it is better than in brawl but in the PM world, it doesnt matter that much. He does have great combo potential but mostly all of his combo starters have low priority and loose to most challenges. I do love his Ftilt as its a surprise killer and his Utilt is awesome when it connects but it has such a low priority and slow start up that people often use that as an opportunity to waste me.

Top Bottom