• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captaining Project M: Olimar Discussion

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Yo. Let's talk about that decreased Pikmin number, yeah?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
How many are they reduced to, 3 or 4? I can't honestly tell. Either way, I'm sure there's a reason, and as long as the chain still works effectively with them, I'm down.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
How many are they reduced to, 3 or 4? I can't honestly tell. Either way, I'm sure there's a reason, and as long as the chain still works effectively with them, I'm down.
4 Pikmin per Olimar. But according to Warchamp, the increased power of Bud and Flower Piks makes it all work in the end.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I wonder if Olimar will have something to help his recovery since its gonna be 4 pikmin now
Probably not. 4 Pikmin should be enough to make a decent recovery.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
White Pikmin can now explode after a certain number of hits... Why is that a thing? xD I thought the White Pikmin are supposed to be weak and easier to throw at his enemies. Olimar does look pretty good in comparison to his ridiculous Brawl iteration. What I still have yet to see is whether or not Olimar's Whistle is still lame with the Super Armor and such. Still... The White Pikmin.. Why?! xD

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
White Pikmin can now explode after a certain number of hits... Why is that a thing? xD I thought the White Pikmin are supposed to be weak and easier to throw at his enemies. Olimar does look pretty good in comparison to his ridiculous Brawl iteration. What I still have yet to see is whether or not Olimar's Whistle is still lame with the Super Armor and such. Still... The White Pikmin.. Why?! xD
A sacrifice must be made in order to attain certain victory. The White Pikmin stepped up to the role none other dared to take.

GoblinGamerKid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gobbblin
3DS FC
3738-0091-4970
In brawl when a white pikmin latches onto an opponent it tackles on 6 damage if I remember and its doing that every second so its really useful. Now in pm I think they are just going to explode to have like some final hit on the opponent just to get on a last bit of damage

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
In brawl when a white pikmin latches onto an opponent it tackles on 6 damage if I remember and its doing that every second so its really useful. Now in pm I think they are just going to explode to have like some final hit on the opponent just to get on a last bit of damage
If timed right at low percentages, its possible that olimar can grab them to stall out the pikmin exploding, so that he could possibly combo straight from grabs if the right timing is used. It'll probably be especially useful against fast fallers, since he most likely has a chain/combo grab on them anyway.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Olimar does have a help to his recovery game in his neutral B in the air popping him up a bit on it's first use. I've been playing one of the dev builds with Olimar and really liking him as he was my main in Brawl. If I can help clear anything up just let me know. Also white pikmin applied the flower effect when used as an attack and not thrown on them, but that might be changed now. The damage increase with a bud is monstrous and lets him slap around and bully characters you'd think would scare him off. Really fun character.

TheNumber47

Smash Rookie
So I want to voice my main concerns with Olimar here. I'm a Melee player and I have little to no experience playing competitive Brawl, but of all the competitive Brawl I've watched, one thing really concerns me: The different effects and uses of the Pikmin colors. In Brawl I would see players constantly sorting through their pikmin to get a good line up for more damage, or maybe it's situational? I'm not too sure. To me, this seems like horrible game design. Having a character with an inconsistent moveset is so off putting. No guaranteed combos or knockback, and a player has to keep track of this random pikmin line up as opposed to actually playing. They mentioned in the video that white pikmin have a special property, and I think that could be fine, it could be like a stitch face or other random object because A: it's noticeable and B: there's only one! I would like to see Olimar's pikmin have the same knockback, damage, etc. but only have different aesthetic effects.

What are your thoughts? Do any Brawl Olimars have any insight into how important a good Pikmin line up is and how you might be able to transfer that into a melee environment? Would this affect combos and set ups? Would Olimar become a character like Ice Climbers in that he has a potent combo and offensive game but he has to keep track of some weird factor (For ICs Nana, for Olimar Pikmin)?

Discuss.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
So I want to voice my main concerns with Olimar here. I'm a Melee player and I have little to no experience playing competitive Brawl, but of all the competitive Brawl I've watched, one thing really concerns me: The different effects and uses of the Pikmin colors. In Brawl I would see players constantly sorting through their pikmin to get a good line up for more damage, or maybe it's situational? I'm not too sure. To me, this seems like horrible game design. Having a character with an inconsistent moveset is so off putting. No guaranteed combos or knockback, and a player has to keep track of this random pikmin line up as opposed to actually playing. They mentioned in the video that white pikmin have a special property, and I think that could be fine, it could be like a stitch face or other random object because A: it's noticeable and B: there's only one! I would like to see Olimar's pikmin have the same knockback, damage, etc. but only have different aesthetic effects.

What are your thoughts? Do any Brawl Olimars have any insight into how important a good Pikmin line up is and how you might be able to transfer that into a melee environment? Would this affect combos and set ups? Would Olimar become a character like Ice Climbers in that he has a potent combo and offensive game but he has to keep track of some weird factor (For ICs Nana, for Olimar Pikmin)?

Discuss.
As a Olimar Main back before PM 1.0, I can say that Olimar is a either great character or a horrible character depending on if your pikmin setups are just right. It worked fine in brawl because that game was slow and boring and you could change your pikmin lines before your opponent reached you, but in PM the game is much faster and I can`t tell how it will affect his Pikmin Lineup organization. I can assure you that no Olimar mains want them to make all the pikmin the same because that would be like taking away Kirby`s Suction move, Mario`s fireball, Sonic`s Spindash, Samus`s Charge shot, or Yoshi`s eggs.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132

I see what you're saying and it makes sense but there power has probably been significantly nerfed. Plus the White's committing suicide and doing damage is a reference to Pikmin 2 when a White Pikmin gets eaten it will do a good chunk of damage to the opponent.

P:M Mains: :gw: :olimar: :roypm: :jigglypuff:

GeZ

Smash Lord
The Pikmin diversity is one of the best parts of the character! They work similarly enough that his combos work well no matter your pikmin line up, but your individual attacks can have diversity and planning. Standardizing them is a terrible idea and would take all the flavor out of one of the most interesting characters on the roster.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
The Pikmin diversity is one of the best parts of the character! They work similarly enough that his combos work well no matter your pikmin line up, but your individual attacks can have diversity and planning. Standardizing them is a terrible idea and would take all the flavor out of one of the most interesting characters on the roster.
Agreed. like I said earlier, it would be like taking away one of the Ice Climbers or taking away Pokemon Train.... oh wait they did that already.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
so that seems like food poisoning more than an explosive/bombing action
well yes, but I think balance outweighs canon in this situation because having a one hit kill move by just throwing a white pikmin would be a little bit op.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
well yes, but I think balance outweighs canon in this situation because having a one hit kill move by just throwing a white pikmin would be a little bit op.
Yeah, but it's still not the same as exploding lol. I'm okay with the exploding, but like you said I wouldn't say it's representative to the game as it is practical. This all reminds me of my friend suggesting Up-b would be Olimar stepping on each Pikmin as suicidal stairs to gain height lol, that'd be hilarious.

JOE!

Smash Hero
It had a big poisonous burst animation yes.

This also probably makes Oli a bit less campy in that throwing a white pikmin doesn't lead to like 80% by itself.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
they should have had 5 pikmin just so you can have at least one of each. Also did the PMBR alter the pikmin pull points on stages so he gets certain pikmin more often on a specific part of the stage? Do players have extra control over how their pikmin cycle, like making them cycle backwards or not switching a pikmin after it is used?

Also nice touch the white pikimin puting a flower on your head. how did nintendo miss that piece of comedic gold. having a flower on your head is like saying olimar owns you now lol

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
In the actual games, white Pikmin would damage an enemy if eaten, I assume it's supposed to represent that, and actually make them useful.

GeZ

Smash Lord
they should have had 5 pikmin just so you can have at least one of each. Also did the PMBR alter the pikmin pull points on stages so he gets certain pikmin more often on a specific part of the stage? Do players have extra control over how their pikmin cycle, like making them cycle backwards or not switching a pikmin after it is used?

Also nice touch the white pikimin puting a flower on your head. how did nintendo miss that piece of comedic gold. having a flower on your head is like saying olimar owns you now lol
The PMBR is so powerfully befuddled by the stupid complexity of the statistics and variables involved in your percent chance of pulling Pikmin on certain stages that they left it as is. The Pikmin cycle functions as regular.
A major buff that wasn't shown off as much in the trailer is his tilts being amped up. His Dtilt slides him forward a tiny bit and has a good hitbox, while his up tilt combos and his side tilt pokes pretty well. Also the power boost at different stages of flower on the Pikmin is much more drastic than you would guess. With a full set of flowered Pikmin, they each hit like tiny bus' and combo together incredibly.

SSS

Smash Ace
The PMBR is so powerfully befuddled by the stupid complexity of the statistics and variables involved in your percent chance of pulling Pikmin on certain stages that they left it as is. The Pikmin cycle functions as regular.
A major buff that wasn't shown off as much in the trailer is his tilts being amped up. His Dtilt slides him forward a tiny bit and has a good hitbox, while his up tilt combos and his side tilt pokes pretty well. Also the power boost at different stages of flower on the Pikmin is much more drastic than you would guess. With a full set of flowered Pikmin, they each hit like tiny bus' and combo together incredibly.
hasn't his dtilt always slid him forward?

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
Pikmin farming/sorting is one of the things that made Brawl somewhat watchable at Apex a few years ago. There's a lot of planning and strategy that goes into that, and I think that's definitely something that needs to be (and apparently has been) preserved. As long as Olimar can't just stand there and put up a wall of throws/smashes/grabs, Olimar has the makings to be an extremely interesting and tactical character.

Top Bottom