• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captaining Project M: Olimar Discussion

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
How long does it take pikmin to flower and bud? I can definitely see that mechanic going to waste if it's too long to wait.
Also have the Pikmin's AI been touched any? They were always quite suicidal in brawl.
What quirks from Brawl have been preserved? I mean like the really strange things, like grabbing people off edges and fsmashes lingering like a meter below olimar if they fall off.

GeZ

Smash Lord
How long does it take pikmin to flower and bud? I can definitely see that mechanic going to waste if it's too long to wait.
Also have the Pikmin's AI been touched any? They were always quite suicidal in brawl.
What quirks from Brawl have been preserved? I mean like the really strange things, like grabbing people off edges and fsmashes lingering like a meter below olimar if they fall off.
The flowering process is pretty manageable. In my experience you start a match and as long as neither of you go CRAZY and start showing the other player the business the Pikmin should flower before either player has gone through a stock. I think Pikmin's AI is the same but I haven't seen them doing anything suicidal as of yet. My main worry right now is that The Whistle hasn't been able to call Pikmin that are below Olimar, which makes Fsmash near ledges scary because of their ability to righteously fly into the void unsalvageable. I've heard that that is currently being worked on by the devs so it should be fixed eventually.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I think in JCaesar's stream they said that it was 30 seconds for pikmin to go all the way to flower?

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
In the stream yesterday it looked like some of the pikmin thrown produced a flower "sapping" effect on enemies.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I'm interested to play Olimar but from the trailer shown he looks incredibly boring to watch. I hope that isn't true.

GeZ

Smash Lord
In the stream yesterday it looked like some of the pikmin thrown produced a flower "sapping" effect on enemies.

Can anyone confirm/deny?
It's from the white Pikmin. All hits with them put a flower on the opponent, racking up damage over time like Ivysaur's flowers or the flowers caused by the flower item.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So yeah, after watching jcaesar's 3.0 stream, I'm thinking of making olimar someone I play as. (No one will ever replace playing zelda. > > ) He looks really cool.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I just got back from playing a whole **** ton of him and I've got good news and bad news.

Good news is that he's overall really solid. Moves have pretty good priority, incredible speed, very short startup, and surprising damage/ comboability. He spikes well, gimps well, combos well, etc. One of the highlights of my night was the dev I was playing with saying "oh my god, you're out poking Marth" which is the best feeling.
Bad news is that he can go far with his recovery, but his tether is so easily spikeable that without some mad shenanigans you WILL get spiked when using it.
Still, definitely going back to being my main (he was in brawl).

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Can you give more details in how most of his moves differ from brawl Olimar? Such as his smashes, neutral b, whistle, and side-b?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Can you give more details in how most of his moves differ from brawl Olimar? Such as his smashes, neutral b, whistle, and side-b?
Honestly he's pretty similar to Brawl, just well ported. His smashes have more recovery but hit harder, neutral b is slower, whistle doesn't have armor but pulls them together as well as it did in Brawl which is neato, and side b is the same but pikmin are really hard to get off of you for almost all characters. His Fair combos really well. His Bair kills at high percent or low percent if they're near a ledge. Uair combos amazingly. Dair spikes like a ************ (tiny bit of delay). Pikmin have insane longevity and can take more abuse than they should as well as racking up damage like little ******** when they attach from his side b. Basically he harasses like crazy, racks up niggling little damage too fast, keeps at a distance well and combos and kills and everything.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Honestly he's pretty similar to Brawl, just well ported. His smashes have more recovery but hit harder, neutral b is slower, whistle doesn't have armor but pulls them together as well as it did in Brawl which is neato, and side b is the same but pikmin are really hard to get off of you for almost all characters. His Fair combos really well. His Bair kills at high percent or low percent if they're near a ledge. Uair combos amazingly. Dair spikes like a mother****er (tiny bit of delay). Pikmin have insane longevity and can take more abuse than they should as well as racking up damage like little *******s when they attach from his side b. Basically he harasses like crazy, racks up niggling little damage too fast, keeps at a distance well and combos and kills and everything.
While I only watched the streams, I would argue that his down b is even better then in brawl. For one it seems a lot faster and it (as far as I have seen) actually calls back pikmin 100% of the time unlike brawl where it would usually work 3/5 of the time. Then again, (as far as I can tell) you actually played the game so if his down b still doesn`t work all the time could you please tell me.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
So all of his aerials pretty much combo, his smashes kill for the most part, Specials are for harassing, and are tilts more for comboing or getting people off of him?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
down-b, neutral-b, up-b
harassment yo, definitely

sarcasm aside, that's dramatically oversimplified to the point of being inaccurate

GeZ

Smash Lord
So all of his aerials pretty much combo, his smashes kill for the most part, Specials are for harassing, and are tilts more for comboing or getting people off of him?
His Bair and Dair kill, and his Usmash can lead to combos but yeah that a pretty spot on evaluation. Tilts vary honestly. Utilt combos but Dtilt and Ftilt are really just for pushing the opponent away.

down-b, neutral-b, up-b
harassment yo, definitely

sarcasm aside, that's dramatically oversimplified to the point of being inaccurate
I agree but as a basic "what does what" analysis just to get it out there it functions. I could probably answer more complex, what tools are for what, what tricks help with what, questions if you've got any. So far my favorite trick is sticking them with 2 or 3 pikmin with his side B and then grabbing and thwacking them a few times before throw. It racks up insane amounts of damage. For example, round started against my buddy who played Ganon. I threw a red, yellow, and blue Pikmin onto him, and then grabbed with a white one. I hit him once, and then threw down. the 3 pikmin beating him did 28% before they dropped off, while the one hit while holding him did about 3%, and the throw did 5% I think? It came out to about 36% in the end, and that's without the Fair combos you can get off of Dthrow.

While I only watched the streams, I would argue that his down b is even better then in brawl. For one it seems a lot faster and it (as far as I have seen) actually calls back pikmin 100% of the time unlike brawl where it would usually work 3/5 of the time. Then again, (as far as I can tell) you actually played the game so if his down b still doesn`t work all the time could you please tell me.
I think it is better than in Brawl but there were still a few instances where I would use it a few times before my Pikmin would rocket back to me, though that may also be because the Pikmin is in tumble? Not sure exactly I just know that if a Pikmin gets swatted away, and doesn't die, you use whistle and wait a few seconds before it disobeys physics, momentum, and gravity to come back.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Do you by chance know how fast his upsmash is? Is it his best smash and good OoS?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Do you by chance know how fast his upsmash is? Is it his best smash and good OoS?
I'd say his Usmash comes out pretty fast, but my go to OoS option (if not his stupidly good grab) would be SH Nair cross up. It comes out fast, does a ton of hits, and if you land behind them, can't be grabbed. Though I would honestly recommend WD OoS for most instances where characters don't have very strong OoS options, because of how solid of a tool is for resseting distance and space, that being especially useful for Olimar.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Okay, thanks. I'm just so excited to play Olimar and December 9th seems like so far awaayyy.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Though I would honestly recommend WD OoS for most instances where characters don't have very strong OoS options, because of how solid of a tool is for resseting distance and space, that being especially useful for Olimar.
Actually, this brings up a good point - how far can he wavedash?

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Along with his wavedash, what is his weight, fall speed, and dashdance like?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Dashdance is subpar as it is very short/ small. Wavedash isn't amazing but not useless? I'd say slightly below average. Fall speed is average, and he was surprisingly heavy for his size. Not to say that he is heavy, but more he survives more than he should, which is nice.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Around how much stronger does a pikmin get if it has a flower sprouted above it after the 30 seconds?

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Thanks so much for answering all my questions :D. I am sooo excited for him it's taking up most of my thoughts these days. Is it true that he has one or more alternate colors that are new?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Sure dude. Anything I can do to help. And honestly, I can't tell. His colors have always been so homogeneous I only keep track of my favorite, which is changed but better now. The one where his outfits yellow and his skin is a little darker has him as black now, which is pretty sweet.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Alright I'll make sure to ask you anything else that pops up in my mind which should probably be some time later or tomorrow with the amount of awesomeness and mysteries surrounding Olimar.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
you know what they should do for olimar, its so simple, they should make his little antena light bulb thing flash the color of the current pikimin he has so the user doesn''t have to run around to see what pikmin he has at the moment. so after every move that changes his pikmin his light bulb flashes.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
How strong is Olimar's up smash with each pikmin? Like is it as strong as fox's with the purple, or even stronger? and how weak does the white pikmin make it.

GeZ

Smash Lord
How strong is Olimar's up smash with each pikmin? Like is it as strong as fox's with the purple, or even stronger? and how weak does the white pikmin make it.
Usmash is mostly combo able. I'd say you'd be hard pressed to kill off the top with it until very high percents. Purple hits really hard, but again, it would be difficult to kill with it, while the white Pikmin don't hit hard but do put the flower on the opponent, which is nice free damage, and sets up the best for comboing. The rest of them put them a good distance in the air above you so you can harass them on their way down.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
you know what they should do for olimar, its so simple, they should make his little antena light bulb thing flash the color of the current pikimin he has so the user doesn''t have to run around to see what pikmin he has at the moment. so after every move that changes his pikmin his light bulb flashes.
looking at the stream now olimrs name tag placement needs to be a little higher so it doesn't cover the bulb.

GeZ

Smash Lord
looking at the stream now olimrs name tag placement needs to be a little higher so it doesn't cover the bulb.
Do you mean for your aforementioned idea (which is awesome by the way) of having it a different color for what Pikmin is in front? Or does the bulb do something I'm not aware of?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Just to refresh.... what are the perks for each color again?

Purple is the strongest KB-wise, Whites seem to do the most damage, Yellow has the arc and electric hitstun... what do Red and Blue do special again?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Just to refresh.... what are the perks for each color again?

Purple is the strongest KB-wise, Whites seem to do the most damage, Yellow has the arc and electric hitstun... what do Red and Blue do special again?
Blue hits a bit harder than red, white, and yellow but has no elemental effect (I'm not 100% sure on this one), red combos well as it doesn't hit them too far away, yellow is great for throwing, Whites also have pretty good angle to their being thrown. Also when you throw purple Pikmin with side B they fly pretty far (about twice the distance of side smash I'd say) which is pretty nice as they hit hard and linger.

JOE!

Smash Hero
so to break them down...

Purple: Kills
White: Raw damage
Yellow: Range
Red: Combos
Blue: "Balanced"?

Top Bottom