• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captaining Project M: Olimar Discussion

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
You think it matters if the upB is grounded or not? My upB's were in the air.

Nido

ily Sebby
I just tried doing a whole lot of stuff, aerial upb, grounded upb, grabbing the ledge, hitting a cpu grounded and aerial both him and I.

It never changed.

RabidJackal

Smash Apprentice
I've been experimenting with a way to play Oli. Whenever I'm at a low % and have 1-2 purple pikmin available, I throw the pikmin that aren't purple offstage. This leaves me with only purple pikmin at my disposal. The combo potential when the enemy is at low % is insane, and when they get high % the kill potential is there as well. Purple pikmin just have so much range & power that Oli becomes a tiny wrecking ball. Unfortunately when you have 1-2 pikmin available your recovery obviously is weaker. That's why I usually only do it when I'm at low % so I can abuse Oli's early durability and try to recover high most of the time.

Nido

ily Sebby
But if you only have purples at low percents, grabbing let alone managing to throw your opponent is really difficult and I find most of Olimar's combos start off his pretty damn good grab game.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Olimar really doesn't have a good grab game... His d-throw can easily be DIed, and U-throw isn't that amazing at it either.

RabidJackal

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'm not too big a fan of Oli's grab game, so I just abuse the power of his aerials mostly when I have the purple pikmin. His F-air and B-air are pretty safe on shield just because of the power & range w/ a purple, so I mostly spam those.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Dunno if this was in brawl, but if a FE character attempts to parry, while he is being attacked by a pikmin, they will counter the pikmin. So with that in mind, you have free punishes/combos.

GeZ

Smash Lord

Kickass video. You and your buddy are really solid players, though I'd say the only notable Olimar combo in their was the one to close out the video, since the others were loose Fair chains, and Fsmashing bad recovery. My only gripe is that both you guys were playing really straight ahead with M2 and getting pounded a lot because of it, but that's just me.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Short hop side B waveland. It's a thing. The timing seems kind of strict tho.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
olis grab game is fantastic. Oli has no grab armor, which sucks at times, but that doesn't hinder oli at all.

He also has answers to people DIing dthrow. If they DI away at lower percents, you can still either hit them with fair or running shield for the regrab. Hell, just throw a pikmin at them in between your wanted followup. Bthrow also works for surprise regrabs/tech chases. Cmon ppl, think out of the box.

Nido

ily Sebby
Cmon ppl, think out of the box.
Ok so listen to this crazy idea I came up with in the shower just now, so I was thinking of how sometimes after an Uthrow I'll use whistle to get the hardest hitting pikmin in my order up next and so I thought:
What if we had 2 active pikmin available at all times and instead of whistle rearranging the order of pikmin, it changed the pikmin's colour that is next in your lineup and only using a move changes the order like it already does. This way we can have an order that we need say for a specific MU at all times instead of getting a crappy lineup and having to sort through them and pluck new ones?
Does anyone think I might be onto something or am I simply going insane?

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
No no this is a good idea, but comes with super risk. If I have two purples at high percents or two yellows at low percents, I usually won't pluck just because of that exact reason. This was more reliable in brawl, since we had more pikmin, but the concept is still the same

Edit: I thought you meant not plucking pikmin, not whistle changing pikmin colors.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
No no this is a good idea, but comes with super risk. If I have two purples at high percents or two yellows at low percents, I usually won't pluck just because of that exact reason. This was more reliable in brawl, since we had more pikmin, but the concept is still the same

Edit: I thought you meant not plucking pikmin, not whistle changing pikmin colors.
What you guys are talking about, is kinda like what I read over in the brawl section. Filtering your pikmin er so to speak. Once I get the Skype group up a lil later, we can go more so in depth about it.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
So I haven't fully experimented with this, but try throwing Pikmin onto them during combos.

My reasoning behind this is to scare them into doing an aerial to get the free damage off of them, leaving them open for a follow up.

If this has already been discussed, my B. :p

Sometimes you can uthrow or dthrow into Pikmin toss and get the same kinda result.

#doublespace

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I don't think throwing a pikmin after uthrow is a good idea, but the others could certainly work. I can usually get a pikmin toss from a bthrow.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Alright so, I just found our pikmin can be stopped by falcos lasers :c because of this, I recommend platforms.
Dsmash is good at edge guarding him tho
Ftilt is godleik on edge guards

altf4ninja

Smash Rookie
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but i want to mention one of the biggest problems i have with olimar. why didnt the PMBR decide to let olimar spawn with any pikman with each stock? they buffed lucario, giving him a free aura upon respawning so why didnt olimar get something like that? i feel that olimar is struggling as it is to keep up with all the buffs other characters have gotten. why then does an olimar player have to spend those precious seconds of invincibility plucking more pikman? Hopefully the PMBR will take note of this for the next update.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but i want to mention one of the biggest problems i have with olimar. why didnt the PMBR decide to let olimar spawn with any pikman with each stock? they buffed lucario, giving him a free aura upon respawning so why didnt olimar get something like that? i feel that olimar is struggling as it is to keep up with all the buffs other characters have gotten. why then does an olimar player have to spend those precious seconds of invincibility plucking more pikman? Hopefully the PMBR will take note of this for the next update.
If Olimar was a more offensive character, I could understand this much better. He can be offensive but he isn't HYPER offensive. If you get a good pikmin on the first pull, you can just go with that. That isn't to much wasted time.

I do get why this is a problem, but it is, what it is.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Here's something cool I found out. You guys know how tether characters like link/Tink could latch onto the edge, drop down and just repeat that action up to 3 times? We can do something similar. I think ZSS can do this to? I dunno, don't care bout that HO. Anyways, when you up B and are hanging by your pikmin, you can drop down and up B again. You can do this up to 3 times. The first time you do it, if you have just grabbed the edge, you should be able to keep most of your invinciblity while doing it. The rest won't be invincible. This can be good for mixing up your recovery.
I'm not sure if you can, but if you still have your double jump when latching onto the edge, you should be able to drop down and then use your double jump if needed. Handy stuff. I might make a video once I see enough gems of knowledge.

EDIT: you can't get your double jump back and by using the up B before you use your double jump, you lose it, till you grab the edge again. If you still have your pluck, that will be useable tho.

Last edited:

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have suggestions for the Pikmin slide? I can do it in 2/3 speed in training mode, but I can't ever do it in normal time. Any tips/suggestions to mastering this technique? I just can't get the timing down.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Anyone have suggestions for the Pikmin slide? I can do it in 2/3 speed in training mode, but I can't ever do it in normal time. Any tips/suggestions to mastering this technique? I just can't get the timing down.
The way I do it, is by laying my thumb on the Y button and then I press it hard and slide my finger over to the B button. That way, only requires you to press one button, instead of each button. I use L for the waveland. So far, that is the only way I have been able to pull it off. I feel like I am to slow to press each button.
they should let olimar angle his pikmin throw like DDD's minion throw.
^^This x100000000

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
If Olimar was a more offensive character, I could understand this much better. He can be offensive but he isn't HYPER offensive. If you get a good pikmin on the first pull, you can just go with that. That isn't to much wasted time.

I do get why this is a problem, but it is, what it is.
The thing is, the time spent while invincible can ONLY be spent plucking Pikmin.

If you're behind a stock, this can be detrimental to making a comeback.

Not to mention, you need to have a max number of Pikmin to actually have a character. And picking ONE Pikmin and HOPING you get a good one. Why would you leave such a thing to chance?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
The thing is, the time spent while invincible can ONLY be spent plucking Pikmin.

If you're behind a stock, this can be detrimental to making a comeback.

Not to mention, you need to have a max number of Pikmin to actually have a character. And picking ONE Pikmin and HOPING you get a good one. Why would you leave such a thing to chance?
You have time to decide if the pikmin is good enough. You can get 2 pikmin and go with that, you can pick all the pikmin w/e lol. Get a comfortable amount of pikmin and go. You don't have to spend all of your time plucking.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Guys, guys, guys
Guys
We got a dacus. We only have 1 frame to pull it off tho.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
Most good opponents can avoid getting hit while youre invincible by ledge stalling or running. Also what is this pikmin slide?

Top Bottom