• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain falcon vs Pokemon trainer: Falcon's advantage - indepth

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
The match-up is supposed to be 6 to 4 in Trainer's favor. Dunno why, but it's in the complete match-up chart I got a hold of.
IvanEva discontinued updates to that chart a couple of months ago. And no matchup is "supposed" to be anything, only what both character mains agree on what the matchup should be. Your best bet would be to look at different character board's matchup threads. They tend to be the most accurate.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
*Facepalms*

Please, somebody just list Falcon's advantages against the Pokes, because I'm just not seeing anything he has on them that everybody else doesn't, besides his ineffectual chaingrab on Squirtle.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
*Facepalms*

Please, somebody just list Falcon's advantages against the Pokes, because I'm just not seeing anything he has on them that everybody else doesn't, besides his ineffectual chaingrab on Squirtle.
Lol, BUT WE HAVE ONE MOVE THAT MAKES US BETTER WE AUTO WIN RIGHT?

I can see where this argument is going if we follow some flawed logic.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
type weakness will only really matter on falcon's fsmash. the launch speed will be slightly faster against ivy and slightly slower against squirtle. i don't think it's important enough that it'll change either overall matchup much.

but ya, overall ivy gets the short end of the stick

while squirtle gets the long end :D squirtle hearts it against rob. not so much for ivy.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
type weakness will only really matter on falcon's fsmash. the launch speed will be slightly faster against ivy and slightly slower against squirtle. i don't think it's important enough that it'll change either overall matchup much.

but ya, overall ivy gets the short end of the stick

while squirtle gets the long end :D squirtle hearts it against rob. not so much for ivy.
What about raptor boost and falcon kick? Especially falcon kick, since its shaping up to be a great move against both ivy and squirtle. Squirtle can resist it, and Ivy takes a beatdown.

How big is the type effect anyways?

Wogrim

Smash Lord
What about raptor boost and falcon kick? Especially falcon kick, since its shaping up to be a great move against both ivy and squirtle. Squirtle can resist it, and Ivy takes a beatdown.

How big is the type effect anyways?
I don't know about damage, but you can see the difference in the kill percents thread for knockback. It's not game-breaking.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Falcon vs Pokemon Trainer Red

Overall

Falcon--Advantages
--Faster Running Speed
--Can punish Pokemon Switch
--Shows his moves better.

Red--Advantages
Has more moves to show--
All Pokemon can better Edgeguard--
More Kill moves--
All Pokemon have projectiles--

55-45 Falcon's Favor

Specific

Falcon--Advantages
--Faster Running Speed
--Faster aerial movement
--Can knee easily
--better air game
--can KO easier

Charizard--Advantages
Has more than 2 jumps--
More range--
Better grab game--​

55-45 Advantage Falcon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Falcon--Advantages
--Faster Running Speed(?)
--Makeshift chaingrab
--More range
--can KO easier--due to lightweight opponent.

Squritle--Advantages
Small Target--
Super Armor Side B--
Makeshift chaingrab--
Better air game--
Faster aerial movement--​

50-50 Even

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Falcon--Advantages
--Faster Running Speed
--Faster aerial movement
--Faster attacks
--Better air game
--Can punish tether recovery
--More kill moves

Ivysaur--Advantages
More Range--
Can KO easier--
Projectile (this one is most effective vs Falcon)--
Better ground game--
Tether grab--​

55-45 Advantage Ivysaur

Final Estimate
CF PT
|| ||
vv vv
55 --- 45

Sukai

Smash Champion
So you're saying Falcon can KO easier then Charizard? :/
Thats what I said, right?
I have experience with PT, so I'm going by what I know and experienced. You can debate it to your heart's content, but I really don't care too much. As a Falcon Secondary, I just put my 2 cents in for the fun of it.
Falcon has more neutral match ups than most would think, but here I can honestly say he has an advantage, abeit a slight one.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Charizard sort of can spikerape Falcon's recoveries though.

._.;

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Charizard sort of can spikerape Falcon's recoveries though.

._.;
Ehh, recently against most trainers I haven't gotten spiked unless I get sloppy. They gotta get low to spike you right, and if they do they could potentially fail and get stage spiked in return.

Btw, squirtle DOESN'T have a projectile. Water gun only does damage when you fire it uncharged, and thats a close range attack, not even close to a projectile. Charizards fire breath is pretty lame projectile, its midrange only, as opposed to Ivy's mid-long ranged razor leaf, a true projectile.

Top Bottom