• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

Twinkles

Smash Lord
alright here it goes.

so i am relatively new to competitive smash, been doing it for probably 2ish months now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7lRNRLI75k

here is a match played against my friend, a little bit into the video is when im feeling more warmed. also this was about a week ago which i know isn't much but after re-watching it i definitely think i could've played it alot better now. anyways though, i would still love any feedback on my gameplay. anything that you think would help me out or you think i need to hear i will work on and try to implement into my game. thanks alot guys!

tell me what you think of your gameplay when you watch your own videos. list things you think you need improvement on, things that you are working on now, and things that you are thinking about working on in the near future

there is a LOT you could learn (it's only 2 months into the game, so this is just how it always is), so just lemme know and i can post something around that.

heisenberg__

Smash Rookie
tell me what you think of your gameplay when you watch your own videos. list things you think you need improvement on, things that you are working on now, and things that you are thinking about working on in the near future

there is a LOT you could learn (it's only 2 months into the game, so this is just how it always is), so just lemme know and i can post something around that.

when i watch myself play, particularly in this match i notice:
-sometimes i will just sit there and wait for my opponent when i could jab reset& attack or just throw out another attack
-i miss the shorthop here and there which is 99% of the times where i use smash attacks/spot dodges
-sometime instead of shieldgrabbing, i just short hop backwards to avoid the hit
-missed techs
-a bad judgement on which move to use, particularly a knee instead of a nair/uair
-predictable outcome of DD, ill usually sideb or grab
-bad spacing
-missed shieldgrab opportunities
all i can think of at the moment

i need to improve on:
-reliably shorthopping
-spacing
--move choice
-JC'd grabs
-ledgehopping
-WD
-wavelanding
-not too badly but l-cancelling

when i practice currently, i spend most of my time doing s2j's l-cancelling practice (team melee, me v 3 cpu IC's on a team, friendly fire, yoshi story, spam aerials and lcancel them), practice comboing a lvl1/2 cpu, practice just getting comfortable with falcon/his movement (like wavedash/lands, DD, platform movement), shffling (particularly well spaced nairs) and ledgehopping

i know i need work in alot of area but the ones i put to the side that i don't prioritize are, wavedashing/landing, JC grabs, and maybe more that i just cant think of EDIT: also DI& SDI

hope this helps

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
You're right on the money man, those things are the exact same as I would have said. Most of the things you need to work on can be done by yourself as well.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
good post. i think you're going along a pretty good track, though i think learning wd's really helps tighten up your movement for more precise spacing. but there are other things you could probably work on in your current game before you move on to that.

also, really good of you to put up your practice regimen. i also recommend you try Single Player Melee.

Basically, go into vs. mode, go to time mode and set the time to none so it's infinite (or set the time if you wanna manage time). Then do the name entry glitch. Done right, you should be playing by yourself on an empty stage. that's how people play by themselves and make tech skill videos like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=238BPPK4xd0

T
here, you can freely practice movement by yourself. Personally, I use it to "shadow-box" in some ways. I imagine what options my opponent has in various positions on the stage and I practice what options I would do to counter them. Practice mixing up your movement, adjusting your spacing/timing on your aerials, and make it kind of a free-style play. Drills are good for getting your fingers up to speed, but if you're locked into a certain timing/spacing, you limit yourself severely.

also, when you do exercises, remember to break them down atomically. basically, remember that when you short-hop, you can empty hop, waveland, or aerial out of it. remember that in any given situation you have a lot options you can do, so work on them.

at this time though, it's still alright just to mash buttons out so you don't mess up anything. not messing up basic things is really, really important in this game.

CitizenSNIPS

Smash Cadet

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Hey guys, doesn't seem like anyone is active around here these days, but I'll post anyway and hope someone comes along. These are my games from SCR 2014 on stream.

Feel free to give any thoughts you have, I'm just looking for honest feedback here.

Vs. MacD (Peach):
Game 1: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive2/b/507098318?t=6h1m27s
(huge gap because fire alarm got tripped lol)
Game 2: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive2/b/507098318?t=6h21m7s

Vs. Laudandus (Sheik):
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive2/b/507098318?t=6h45m5s

I did alright vs. MacD, but there were definitely things I could've done better. Sloppy spacing/execution/followups in some crucial moments, I guess overall I don't mind though.

I got junked hard vs. Laudandus, got too scared to fight Sheik at the ledge and made some really bad decisions. I played him in friendlies and got a lot better at it, but I'm still very unsatisfied with how I did though. Gonna try to work mad hard on my ledge play next time I touch this game.

Eedy

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Here's what I believe you need to work on...

1. Tech skill: you were missing some crucial L-cancels, and I didn't see too many WDs or plat. wavelands. You can never have too much tech skill.
2. Punishes/Capitalization: You would sometimes get an aerial or throw, and you would wait a split second or make a poor decision on a follow-up, which gave your opponent time to get themselves back together. When you connect with one of these aerials or throws, you need to make quick(but smart!) decisions on what option you will use.
3. Marth: Avoid going off-stage against Marth, it's a pretty free edgeguard for him.
4. Edgeguarding: You're almost always going to want to grab ledge first once they are off-stage, but use your judgement on this.

I'm probably not the best Falcon here to give advice, but I sure hope that I was able to help.

Loopy

Smash Rookie
Here's what I believe you need to work on...

1. Tech skill: you were missing some crucial L-cancels, and I didn't see too many WDs or plat. wavelands. You can never have too much tech skill.
2. Punishes/Capitalization: You would sometimes get an aerial or throw, and you would wait a split second or make a poor decision on a follow-up, which gave your opponent time to get themselves back together. When you connect with one of these aerials or throws, you need to make quick(but smart!) decisions on what option you will use.
3. Marth: Avoid going off-stage against Marth, it's a pretty free edgeguard for him.
4. Edgeguarding: You're almost always going to want to grab ledge first once they are off-stage, but use your judgement on this.

I'm probably not the best Falcon here to give advice, but I sure hope that I was able to help.

Tehbankzor

Smash Rookie
I have been playing smash for 5 months now, and I have two videos of myself playing in money matches. I have already posted them on the smash subreddit, but I wanted to post them here as well. Please point out my glaring weaknesses, and what I should do to improve them. Also, any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8pdKswPWWgE Pikachu vs Falcon MM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QBMIK0XsIiI Falcon MM (I'm the black one)

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I have been playing smash for 5 months now, and I have two videos of myself playing in money matches. I have already posted them on the smash subreddit, but I wanted to post them here as well. Please point out my glaring weaknesses, and what I should do to improve them. Also, any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8pdKswPWWgE Pikachu vs Falcon MM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QBMIK0XsIiI Falcon MM (I'm the black one)
At the moment, your movement is alright, but not quite up to par for a good Falcon. Keep smoothing that tech skill out, I noticed some awkward timings on your SHFFL's. Also, work on WD OOS, I swear to God you will see instant improvement being able to move out of shield so freely.

Dthrow -> side-B tech-chase can work, but I think you should wait until you can force a scenario when it can work. You did it a lot in the Falcon ditto and even though it's smart in that you did it in a way that he couldn't punish, you also got no followup in the process (which is what I assumed would be the point). Use side-B as an occasional setup, instead try fthrow near the ledge. The other falcon seemed to keep DI-ing off-stage, so fthrow would've sent the falcon far enough to setup for a dangerous edgeguard.

This is just off the top of my head, if there's any glaring specifics I find later on, I'll update this.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Dang these boards are pretty not hoppin'
I might come back and critique some vids eventually

S l o X

Smash Champion
:< i deleted my post because it was like a week and no one wanted to.

i'll take some time to go through videos posted after this post if anyone is interested. however/disclaimer, i feel i'm one of the least knowledgeable falcons. that is in part why i want to to this though.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
:< i deleted my post because it was like a week and no one wanted to.

i'll take some time to go through videos posted after this post if anyone is interested. however/disclaimer, i feel i'm one of the least knowledgeable falcons. that is in part why i want to to this though.
i think i saw some of ur vids from last time. i wanted to comment, but honestly, i was stealing more than i was critiqueing. i thought your falcon looked hella solid last time i checked haha

T-R3X

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEQeUC_pZSg
Long video, but luckily you only have to watch this ugly falcon for a few games.
First two matches are somewhat seriouslies against sheik. (1:09 - 7:57)
Then I play a bunch of friendlies with some other not so good player : /
Then I play against a falco in a best of 5 where I lose 1-3 (45:35 - 1:00:30)
I think I major took advantage of the sheik's bad habits. Also I think I need to gentleman more. And take ledge more. And probably not roll so much. And that last edgeguard second game lol.
Against falco I think I need to have safer/better edgeguards and vary my jumps/aerials more. Side platforms also. And definitely do more regrabs on tech chases overall. And less random aerials! yuck

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys here are some casuals me and my friend were running. I didn't edit the sound so you can turn it down so you don't hear the clicking and occasional random comments we or my roommates make during the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68yFtJmP7Ns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26axfpQKh5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCP0bQF7hNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUCNn5kHt8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlQGIcfypfk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6H8qVf_GKw
Dude you confused me so much. I was like, "I did not post this. What the hell is going on?"

Might as well contribute to my doppleganger, even if it's probably so late that the videos aren't relevant anymore.

You gotta get your SHFFL's down. Specifically the fast fall part. Neither of you were fast falling anything and it wrecked your ability to combo. Trust me, that is #1 top priority if you still can't do it. Until then there's not too much point in critiquing since your gameplay will change so drastically afterwards.

Last edited:

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
I would greatly appreciate any tips! I don't know how active this section is, so I might post it elsewhere too if I don't get alot of responses.
http://www.twitch.tv/timpz/b/527279558 0:10:15(fox), 0:36:58(falco), 0:46:23(peach), 2:50:25(yoshi) 3:08:20(fox), 3:29:27(fox), 3:35:40(fox)

All matches are against VJ aka MrHazuki (the stream names are inaccurate at times), he is very good at shutting me down with his spacies, especially fox, and especially on Yoshi's, which is propably my weakest stage. I usually struggle alot against his Peach too, but in this case on Dreamland, I could really abuse Falcon's movement to my advantage, although it was still a loss.

His Yoshi is very good, but I have played it 90218429 times and that matchup is ridiculousely hard for Yoshi, even with parry, since I can get around it with proper nair spacing in most cases. I'm also very comfortable on battlefield.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
I would greatly appreciate any tips! I don't know how active this section is, so I might post it elsewhere too if I don't get alot of responses.
http://www.twitch.tv/timpz/b/527279558 0:10:15(fox), 0:36:58(falco), 0:46:23(peach), 2:50:25(yoshi) 3:08:20(fox), 3:29:27(fox), 3:35:40(fox)

All matches are against VJ aka MrHazuki (the stream names are inaccurate at times), he is very good at shutting me down with his spacies, especially fox, and especially on Yoshi's, which is propably my weakest stage. I usually struggle alot against his Peach too, but in this case on Dreamland, I could really abuse Falcon's movement to my advantage, although it was still a loss.

His Yoshi is very good, but I have played it 90218429 times and that matchup is ridiculousely hard for Yoshi, even with parry, since I can get around it with proper nair spacing in most cases. I'm also very comfortable on battlefield.
10:17
First stock, you messed up your DD spacing once and got Fox'd.
Second stock, why follow up that tech chase with a gentleman? Regrab and pummel, he's too low for that nonsense.
Nice uair OOS.
11:08 that double jump could have gotten you killed. Would have been better to waveland onto a plat or keep going as he would likely be expecting an aerial.
Raptor boost following your landing absolutely got you killed. Don't raptor boost in neutral or under pressure, it's too obvious and the startup is slow as balls.
11:17 why the Doraki? He's recovering, get up there and punish him! Doraki is for edgeguarding from the ledge or mixing up your return to the stage, not for punishing someone in lag from their recovery.
11:30 that knee on shield was pretty poorly spaced. Now you're grabbed by Fox at the ledge. Bad news bears. Be safe on shield, but be especially safe near the ledge.
11:55 you DD bait a spot dodge, but there's been no evidence that this Fox reacts that way under pressure. Should have probably just gone for it the instant he was in shield for more than a split second.
12:06 Falcon kick sucks and everyone uses it near the ledge. Don't bother unless they're high enough that they can't CC it.
12:24 Nicco pls
12:34 you just ATE that usmash. What was that?
12:46 that knee was risky and wouldn't have gotten you anything but some percent.
12:48 You're trying to read resets before they happen. Position yourself so you can safely react with a reset or keep going with a regrab.
12:54 - 13:03 Really good spacing excluding that one knee at the ledge, but you pulled it off without getting hit
13:26 DJ stomp. Cut it out. It's bad and easy to see coming. I'm working on it right now because it's such a gut reaction to do it but it really blows the mad D. You did it TWICE in a row.

You need to stop focusing on stage movement so much. Get back on level with Fox once he's under you. Edgecancels won't matter if you're getting uaired. Spaced late uair pressure will really help your shield game if you decide to use it. Stop using gentleman at low percents. Practice tech chasing spacies, you dropped nearly every regrab opportunity you had.

But I like it :3

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
10:17
First stock, you messed up your DD spacing once and got Fox'd.
Second stock, why follow up that tech chase with a gentleman? Regrab and pummel, he's too low for that nonsense.
Nice uair OOS.
11:08 that double jump could have gotten you killed. Would have been better to waveland onto a plat or keep going as he would likely be expecting an aerial.
Raptor boost following your landing absolutely got you killed. Don't raptor boost in neutral or under pressure, it's too obvious and the startup is slow as balls.
11:17 why the Doraki? He's recovering, get up there and punish him! Doraki is for edgeguarding from the ledge or mixing up your return to the stage, not for punishing someone in lag from their recovery.
11:30 that knee on shield was pretty poorly spaced. Now you're grabbed by Fox at the ledge. Bad news bears. Be safe on shield, but be especially safe near the ledge.
11:55 you DD bait a spot dodge, but there's been no evidence that this Fox reacts that way under pressure. Should have probably just gone for it the instant he was in shield for more than a split second.
12:06 Falcon kick sucks and everyone uses it near the ledge. Don't bother unless they're high enough that they can't CC it.
12:24 Nicco pls
12:34 you just ATE that usmash. What was that?
12:46 that knee was risky and wouldn't have gotten you anything but some percent.
12:48 You're trying to read resets before they happen. Position yourself so you can safely react with a reset or keep going with a regrab.
12:54 - 13:03 Really good spacing excluding that one knee at the ledge, but you pulled it off without getting hit
13:26 DJ stomp. Cut it out. It's bad and easy to see coming. I'm working on it right now because it's such a gut reaction to do it but it really blows the mad D. You did it TWICE in a row.

You need to stop focusing on stage movement so much. Get back on level with Fox once he's under you. Edgecancels won't matter if you're getting uaired. Spaced late uair pressure will really help your shield game if you decide to use it. Stop using gentleman at low percents. Practice tech chasing spacies, you dropped nearly every regrab opportunity you had.

But I like it :3
Thanks alot for the pointers :D

I encourage you to take a look at the peach game
it's pretty swag if I may say so myself

Last edited:

brianAKAdeez

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm a relatively new player (just started getting into the formerly dead scene in Tampa last September) but I've played on and off casually since... probably 2003? Anyway, I got a good session of friendlies in against an old-school FL player iShotLazer (he doesn't really go by that anymore) the other night that I'd like to share.

http://www.twitch.tv/dannycake/b/533539349 (02:18:09 vs. Marth, 02:31:36 vs. Fox, 02:43:42 vs. Falco, 03:02:00 vs. Fox, 03:05:25 vs. Marth, 03:15:00 vs. Falcon, 03:17:00 vs Sheik, 03:30:52 vs. Falco)

Overall, I'd say I can play the spacie match-ups fairly ok for my current level of play, providing I don't get overwhelmed though I might've suffered as fatigue set in and as iShotLazer shook off a bit of his Melee rust. I'm a bit more worried about the Marth and Sheik match-ups though as I don't have as much practice against them. I know for sure that I can still work on my platform movement and not getting stuck on combo followups and also know that I have some bad habits like recklessly approaching with neutral-air and flying offstage for edge-guards.

If you have any critiques about either my approach to match-ups or just my general technical play I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Could someone critique my falcon? Here are some friendlies I played yesterday.
First link:

0:12 - Pretty sure bthrow was a mistake, but just for emphasis, never do it again. Pretty much completely useless.

0:14 - You nair and then wait for him to roll, but then you don't punish him! React! You coulda started up another tech-chase or even just stomp -> knee in place for the kill.

The empty full-hops are an interesting mixup. They would do better if you had better aerial pressure though. Learn to mash safe aerials in your opponents face to get them stuck in their shield, then try empty full-hops as that mixup. Nair and insta-uair are probably your best aerials for this, but knee and bair also can work if you move immediately out of them.

0:22- Punishing getup attack = either bait it out or crouch cancel it. You saw that he fell without teching, realize that if you're close enough, the logical conclusion is he's gonna getup attack. You can bait it by standing in getup attack range, then WDing or dashing back, then going back in for the punish. You can also jump over it. One old-school trick is to jump over them (make them think you'll aerial them), then DJ to jump over the getup attack and then come down with an aerial. New school punish from what I've seen is crouching and tanking the getup attack and then dashing in for a regrab.

0:27- Running SH knee, don't know what else to tell ya lol

0:37- Mah ***, there are ways to look cute, but wall-jump kneeing when Fox just absolutely fails to not recover even though he has a million years to do so is not one. FH -> DJ knee. Stomp has like monstrous amounts of hitstun, so you had the time to get that knee.

0:50- looking confused there. Work on that minute dash-dance game or your read game, cuz if you get a grab on a spacie, you better be ready to take that grab all the way to a stock.

1:10- you had the read, but you were slow on the knee. when you make a read, be confident in it, execute, and don't second guess, cuz then you'll never get anything!

1:25- Running FH knee, usually not hard at all to do. Do you use A and forgo use of the cstick? Can't imagine why else you would do a nair there instead of a knee.

1:40- I both like and dislike that stomp. Like because it was a great read and because it punishes one of the most popular spacie recovery options in the game. Dislike because it only covered that one option. I think knee would be able to cover more if timed right because then you could knee high and drop low to catch multiple illusion heights, then DJ aerial if you need to followup a weak knee or cover a firefox height.

1:54- Seeing as how you wall-jumped a lot earlier, not sure why you didn't walljump here. I liked the idea of the bair precisely because you could have recovered from it by walljumping.

2:00- Fox hits you with like a million FH aerials. DD grab it or sh-uair him out of the air. You can punish this and punish this hard, especially since he's trying to get too cute on you for his own good.

In general: Your tech skill is coming along, but you need to work on fundamental execution. This means solid tech-chasing, more purposeful aerials, and situation recognition. Learn to deal with tech-in-place and no-tech options from Fox, especially because those are the hardest to punish off reaction. Watch videos of top level Falcons and see where they sneak hits in on Fox or trade moves with his, because as is you're getting hit by aerials that you don't need to get hit by. Learn what situations you can take advantage of against Fox and you'll see tremendous improvement in the matchup.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
First link:

0:12 - Pretty sure bthrow was a mistake, but just for emphasis, never do it again. Pretty much completely useless.

0:14 - You nair and then wait for him to roll, but then you don't punish him! React! You coulda started up another tech-chase or even just stomp -> knee in place for the kill.

The empty full-hops are an interesting mixup. They would do better if you had better aerial pressure though. Learn to mash safe aerials in your opponents face to get them stuck in their shield, then try empty full-hops as that mixup. Nair and insta-uair are probably your best aerials for this, but knee and bair also can work if you move immediately out of them.

0:22- Punishing getup attack = either bait it out or crouch cancel it. You saw that he fell without teching, realize that if you're close enough, the logical conclusion is he's gonna getup attack. You can bait it by standing in getup attack range, then WDing or dashing back, then going back in for the punish. You can also jump over it. One old-school trick is to jump over them (make them think you'll aerial them), then DJ to jump over the getup attack and then come down with an aerial. New school punish from what I've seen is crouching and tanking the getup attack and then dashing in for a regrab.

0:27- Running SH knee, don't know what else to tell ya lol

0:37- Mah ***, there are ways to look cute, but wall-jump kneeing when Fox just absolutely fails to not recover even though he has a million years to do so is not one. FH -> DJ knee. Stomp has like monstrous amounts of hitstun, so you had the time to get that knee.

0:50- looking confused there. Work on that minute dash-dance game or your read game, cuz if you get a grab on a spacie, you better be ready to take that grab all the way to a stock.

1:10- you had the read, but you were slow on the knee. when you make a read, be confident in it, execute, and don't second guess, cuz then you'll never get anything!

1:25- Running FH knee, usually not hard at all to do. Do you use A and forgo use of the cstick? Can't imagine why else you would do a nair there instead of a knee.

1:40- I both like and dislike that stomp. Like because it was a great read and because it punishes one of the most popular spacie recovery options in the game. Dislike because it only covered that one option. I think knee would be able to cover more if timed right because then you could knee high and drop low to catch multiple illusion heights, then DJ aerial if you need to followup a weak knee or cover a firefox height.

1:54- Seeing as how you wall-jumped a lot earlier, not sure why you didn't walljump here. I liked the idea of the bair precisely because you could have recovered from it by walljumping.

2:00- Fox hits you with like a million FH aerials. DD grab it or sh-uair him out of the air. You can punish this and punish this hard, especially since he's trying to get too cute on you for his own good.

In general: Your tech skill is coming along, but you need to work on fundamental execution. This means solid tech-chasing, more purposeful aerials, and situation recognition. Learn to deal with tech-in-place and no-tech options from Fox, especially because those are the hardest to punish off reaction. Watch videos of top level Falcons and see where they sneak hits in on Fox or trade moves with his, because as is you're getting hit by aerials that you don't need to get hit by. Learn what situations you can take advantage of against Fox and you'll see tremendous improvement in the matchup.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the input! I noticed that a lot of the input you gave was on tech I messed up.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Yo sup falcon boards. I finally got some tourney matches recorded and I would really like any critique or advice on both matches. I've been playing for a year now and I don't play alot on my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3o8SNlvNoM (vs pikachu/pichu)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOq9xsueKrI (vs blue falcon)

Some obv things: Edgeguarding and WD-OOS.
Anything is helpfull. Praise the falcon boards!
Vs Ace:
This is prety general advice, but I think if you keep this stuff in mind while watching your match, it'll make sense...

After you hit a nair in neutral at low percent, you should be able to get a grab. You're either not hit confirming off the nair or missing the l cancel or not fast falling properly to chain into grab. On the same note. 0% hard knee should lead into grab as well.
In general your movement seems very good but it isn't translating into strong offensive pressure when you're in a good position due to the missed hit confirms. Most of the time after you get a hit you might as well dash or wavedash to reposition for the follow up instead of standing.
Your neutral game could use more pivot nair and more patience in general. Your expected value when you land a good nair is so high in falcon dittos; outspacing the other player is super important. Aim to threaten without over-committing and then punish their commitments HARD.
Patience when you have control of center stage while your opponent is stuck near the ledge. A lot of players will panic when they're near the edge, and you can elicit a response simply by putting out attacks and movement just outside of their effective range. Think about what kind of trajectory/method they might try to use to get out of their bad position and try to force them into options that you are ready for by threatening against other options (idk if this makes sense, but it's how i like to think about it....)
You didn't do it that often, but sideB in neutral is trash. I do it too on bad days and I get destroyed for it...
From the ledge, you should refresh invincibility and ledgedash more. At first you will probably get burned for not having invincibility, but once you get consistent with it, it's a much better option than going for ledgehop uair unless they are spacing poorly. I saw that you were haxdashing pretty well, so it's probably just a mental adjustment.
On your techchases, I think you can get some extra mileage out of stomping for further followups instead of kneeing at mid percent to increase killing potential with pretty small increase in execution difficulty.
You charged a smash attack while he was on ledge more than once. Just begging to get punished by something off of his invincible ledge dash. You were fairly lucky that he didn't wreck you that badly for it...

RENSXD

Smash Rookie
The hard knee's are probally because I only have experience vs fox, where a hard knee will often leed to an edgeguard. And I dont know what I was thinking with the charged smashes at the ledge, I think those were just nerves. I don't do them anymore. I will have to work on those hitconfirms. Thanks bert!

Twinkles

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vA5Af4BLI4&list=PLWtiJSazfUDAJ9Sj0qT2FoMhSYAb6S0UT&index=3

I am relatively new at the game. If you ignore the obvious SDs, what are some things I am doing wrong?
Too many side-bs, too many hail-mary double jump aerials
Your fundamentals are not great, and it seems like you've supplanted good play with gimmicks because you are too focused with hitting the other guy

Space Nair, dash dance more, dash dance smarter, add more safely spaced pokes with shffl Nair into your game. Snipe jumps. Uair works on any char., Nair and knee may work on fast-fallers, though Nair is better for this purpose.

Work on your tech skill. A lot of awkward stops after you land with an aerial. You should aim to act as fast as possible out of every l-cancelled aerial.

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
Too many side-bs, too many hail-mary double jump aerials
Your fundamentals are not great, and it seems like you've supplanted good play with gimmicks because you are too focused with hitting the other guy

Space Nair, dash dance more, dash dance smarter, add more safely spaced pokes with shffl Nair into your game. Snipe jumps. Uair works on any char., Nair and knee may work on fast-fallers, though Nair is better for this purpose.

Work on your tech skill. A lot of awkward stops after you land with an aerial. You should aim to act as fast as possible out of every l-cancelled aerial.

Thanks for the advice man. This is helpful. I've already stopped doing the double jump approaches since then and now I use more SHFFL and fundamentals. I'll post another video within the next month or so when I've gotten everything solid

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMdD7ite7E

So I get bopped in this set against this falco. Any critique is appreciated.

Also ignore the fox matches since those are a different set and not me.
Alright, let's do the rundown.

0:39 - Should have read that DI better. That grab was not guaranteed at all. Also the stomps leading up to this were risky.

0:43 - Missed a grab opportunity

0:49 - Raptor boost sucks dude. Everyone expects it from the ledge and Mana's reactions are too good to get him with it from neutral, much less from a pressured position.

1:05 - Dumb stomp. Dumb. Dumb dumb dumb. God damnit Mask stop stomping so much.

You're missing platform movement around this area. You gotta practice that.

1:24 - You would have missed it if you did the WD with the DI like I showed you ;)

1:29 - Missed L-cancel. Cmon man.

2:48 - You got the punish, but it wasn't spaced very well.

3:04 - He's punishing your retreating nairs. You can't do that as much with Falco in neutral. You have to really overshoot or get him with the meaty part or you're going to eat a laser and die.

3:19 - Don't shield after getting hit by a laser. Run the **** away. Mana was wrecking me because I was doing that and once I started running out of them it went much better.

3:40 - You come on the stage the same way every time. He's just waiting for you to crossover and then hitting you as you come in for the grab. Try mixing it up. Do a waveland in place and grab him out of shield as a mixup. Don't let him know where you're going to be.

You're jumping way too much, you're not taking advantage of your tech chases, you're letting him get you into shield, and your DD mindgames are weak. Make your crossups shorter, use pivot grabs instead of those insanely long DDs like at 5:08, and just stop stomping so much.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Mid tier falcon looking for some critique
Looking for advise on this tournament set i played. I know there were crucial SD's which cost me the match.
Also any small advice on the matchup would be good too. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPFVrFtB2KY
You need to get more comfortable with your movement and aerials. It looks like you don't really understand where you'll be in your jump when you do an aerial, so you end up relying too much on quick aerials like uair to hit people, thus sacrificing punish potential. I'd recommend hammering out aerials all over the stage when you're practicing, making sure hit every l-cancel, fast fall, and dash out exactly as you want to hit them. From there you can work on doing that while hitting a CPU or a friend if they're willing to do that kind of practice.

With regards to your dash dance, it's kind of pointless. You don't really go anywhere with it, you just kind of DD to DD. At least twice you just DD'd while a Samus missile flew right at your face. The point of a dash dance is to pressure your opponent. If you dance around in the exact same spot, you're effectively standing with less options. Widen your dash dance, using the shorter distances for spacing. Mix up the distances when in neutral to make your opponent unsure of where you'll be. Once they whiff an attack that you DD baited, grab em and combo.

Also, start now on pivots. You're gonna need em. Practice them until you can do them 80-90% of the time. Then keep practicing them. They integrate very naturally as they're not really a "new move" like wavedashing or l-cancelling, but instead are a very specific timing that you miss a lot without realizing. I give this advice to pretty much every Falcon I meet because pivots are insanely important.

Last edited:

Bu$

HoC
You need to get more comfortable with your movement and aerials. It looks like you don't really understand where you'll be in your jump when you do an aerial, so you end up relying too much on quick aerials like uair to hit people, thus sacrificing punish potential. I'd recommend hammering out aerials all over the stage when you're practicing, making sure hit every l-cancel, fast fall, and dash out exactly as you want to hit them. From there you can work on doing that while hitting a CPU or a friend if they're willing to do that kind of practice.

With regards to your dash dance, it's kind of pointless. You don't really go anywhere with it, you just kind of DD to DD. At least twice you just DD'd while a Samus missile flew right at your face. The point of a dash dance is to pressure your opponent. If you dance around in the exact same spot, you're effectively standing with less options. Widen your dash dance, using the shorter distances for spacing. Mix up the distances when in neutral to make your opponent unsure of where you'll be. Once they whiff an attack that you DD baited, grab em and combo.

Also, start now on pivots. You're gonna need em. Practice them until you can do them 80-90% of the time. Then keep practicing them. They integrate very naturally as they're not really a "new move" like wavedashing or l-cancelling, but instead are a very specific timing that you miss a lot without realizing. I give this advice to pretty much every Falcon I meet because pivots are insanely important.
Thanks heaps. When you talk about the aerial do you mean fiddle with different heights of aerials and using them in that way or something else?

The DD thing is something i've been working on recently but have yet to impliment properly in my game.. I can actually pivot all my aerials but i see what you're saying with the lack of pivots in this set.

Top Bottom