• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon or Ganondorf? You be da judge

CMONEY770

Smash Cadet
Hey every this ya boi $C-Money$ again and I would like to know from my fellow smashers who is really better?

Captain Falcon or Ganondorf? :falcon: or :ganondorf:

While we do know dat they were clones in Melee and had some differences between both of them, such as Captain Falcon's ridiculous knee and Ganondorf's ridiculous ability to chain stomp.
Now in Brawl, Captain Falcon's knee is not as great as it was, forcing players to really hit it on the button and Ganondorf is a bit slower than he was in Melee, but he has dat wonderful ability to chain choke, which messes any oppenent's game up.

So tell me what u think?

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Gannondorf is honestly better in terms of overall matches but C Falcon wins in terms of awesomeness and end game skill(as in a really good C Falcon looks better than a really good Gannondorf).

But thats all mainly my opinion.

CMONEY770

Smash Cadet
Yeah you're right Nooodlehead. I tried Ganondorf in Brawl and he is just not livin up to my expectations. Besides I could never leave Captain Falcon. He's just one of those characters who has a lot of swagger to him

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
I play both characters and I find I'm able to kill faster with Ganon(power monster) but combo much better and faster with Falcon. :D Falcon Punches are faster than Ganon's Warlock Punch so if you know how to land them they become way better than the Warlock Punch.

Ganon has the Murder Choke but if you miss it leaves you very vulnerable, and with Ganon's speed it's not really something you can throw around wildly.

I guess I'm gonna have to go with Falcon on this one. Though Ganon is better if you're opponent sucks at spot dodging or shielding since his moves KO faster.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
They're both good, I think Ganon is a bit better, but I play Falcon more often because of his sheer manliness. *points to siggy*

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I honestly prefer Falcon. Although the knee of justice is know harder to sweetspot and slightly weaker, he is still incredibly fast and can combo easily. Ganon, despite being a powerhouse, is too slow.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
As a few other people have already said, Ganon is a little bit better overall. Honestly though, it's not by a lot (at all), because they're both considered "bad characters". I just like the speed that falcon can play at and pursue with. Because although Falcon lacks range, priority and a reliable killing move, if there's one thing falcon is pretty good at it's pressuring an opponent.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Ganon has impossible matchups. Captain Falcon does not. Falcon WIN!

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Falcon is more fun. If Ganon were more like his Melee self, I'd probably use him instead, but Falcon is just way cooler that Brawl Ganon could ever hope to be.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Falcon is more fun. If Ganon were more like his Melee self, I'd probably use him instead, but Falcon is just way cooler that Brawl Ganon could ever hope to be.
Ganon has impossible matchups. Captain Falcon does not. Falcon WIN!
Falcon is more enjoyable to play as, has possible match-ups, and is faster than ganondorf.

Captain Falcon wins :)

Roager

Smash Ace
Ganon is slower, and on many moves, weaker, than Ike. He also is VERY easy to punish. VERY. So, I say falcon. But I'm biased.

Charoo

Smash Champion
ganon is better because he's falcon's dad

ganon vs falcon. Falcon wins because Douglas is awesome.

why r we even comparing these 2? Should be falcon or snake since falcon is better than snake.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I love both. And I know this is a Falcon board and all, but guys.... Ganon is a better character. Granted I think a Falcon v. Ganon match does tip slightly in Falcon's favor...
but Ganon is better. And people saying Ganon is punishable...? Man, Falcon is so much more easy to punish. He also dies faster. Also... it turns out... late game, all of Ganon's moves are kill moves. forward tilt: kill, all his smashes: kill, uair: kill, fair: kill, dair: KILL(!), bair: kill, his freakin' runnin charge is a kill move. It's Ganon man! It's the only character in the game that actually wants to kill people.

Falcon's awesome and all, but Ganon is better. And more violent.

CMONEY770

Smash Cadet
Somehow Ganondorf's better yeah but I don't really wanna believe dat. Doesn't Captain Falcon get somethin for his efforts? I mean what really beats da Falcon Punch? Nothin dat's what.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
If you are used to Melee's speed, Captain Falcon is one of the few characters that can still come close to providing that...

And ****... Man up, guys! Where's your confidence? Falcon is great!

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
I think Falcon is much better than Ganon. In a game were there is no hitstun, speed is too important. When I'm playing as Ganon against a human opponent, I can't help but play a 100% defense. It's the only way you can really play against much of the cast. With CF, I can be a little more liberal in the way I play, defense, offense, it doesn't matter.

Also, I like how CF's dash attack sends the enemy FORWARD. Ganon sends then BACKWARD. wtf?

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Ok, wow...
you can't play Falcon offensively. He has no priority to be offensive with.
Ganon on the other hand has awesome priority. You can actually be offensive with him, and be scary as all ****. Not with Falcon though. If you play offensive Falcon, all you're doing is setting yourself up for free hits and traded hits that aren't worth it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Okay, I talked to a top professional player by the name of Teh_Spammerer, and he says Ganondorf is definitely better, and that Falcon by far is the worst character in Brawl. His reason?

"Every other character in the game has at least ONE good attack"

If you want to argue with him, you can AIM him, but he rly knows his stuff.

Roager

Smash Ace
Falcon has good attacks. I don't care what Teh Spammerer says. I'd also deny Sonic having good attacks. Or, at least, Sonic having better attacks than Falcon.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Okay, I talked to a top professional player by the name of Teh_Spammerer, and he says Ganondorf is definitely better, and that Falcon by far is the worst character in Brawl. His reason?

If you want to argue with him, you can AIM him, but he rly knows his stuff.
Yes!

Seriously though, I think Ganon's got pretty much all our problems and more because he's so slow, so I'd say Falcon is better.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice

Oh my ****ing goodness. CF doesn't have good attacks? Come on man that's BS. Bair, Dsmash, Fsmash, Utilt, the KNEE.....

I know CF has limitations but to say he doesn't have good attacks is non sense.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falcon has good attacks. I don't care what Teh Spammerer says. I'd also deny Sonic having good attacks. Or, at least, Sonic having better attacks than Falcon.
Okay, I used to think Falcon was better than Sonic, but I asked Teh_Spammerer, and basically it boils down to this.

Sonic is MUCH better at punishing due to better mobility and having things like a harder to punish Dash attack, and has better ledgeguarding. Falcon's spike and reverse U-airs are more situational than Sonic's occasional spring and D-air intercepts. Neither is actually that good at ledgeguarding, but Sonic just has a little more there.

Okay and E.M. let's go through why Falcon doesn't have good attacks.

B-air is okay. Yeah it's fast and has good power and ok range, but it's hard to hit with because Falcon has a bad jump. If you try to delay the attack, you get landing lag. Which sucks.

D-smash and F-smash are bad. Both are extremely punishable.

U-tilt is okay, but not exceptional. The startup is a little too slow. And unfortunately it doesn't kill at obscenely low percents.

My god, the Knee is a terrible attack. The sweetspot is ridiculously situational, and it has like no range. And again Falcon's bad jump makes it unnecessarily harder to connect with this attack.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
Let me get this out of the way first: Ganondorf, and especially sonic combo way, way better than Falcon does. Everyone knows this. Ganondorf can murder choke>>dtilt>>murderchoke>>dtilt>>murderchoke Dtilt to start off a match. Think about how much damage that is. He can also Murder Choke>>>Dair!!! Sonic...well I don't feel like explaining sonic's combos, because they're too long, too confusing (lol Tenki be my guest).

I do, however, Like falcon better than anyone else in this game. I just like the way he plays, the speed at which he moves, and his aerial pressuring abilities.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Let me get this out of the way first: Ganondorf, and especially sonic combo way, way better than Falcon does. Everyone knows this. Ganondorf can murder choke>>dtilt>>murderchoke>>dtilt>>murderchoke Dtilt to start off a match. Think about how much damage that is. He can also Murder Choke>>>Dair!!! Sonic...well I don't feel like explaining sonic's combos, because they're too long, too confusing (lol Tenki be my guest).

I do, however, Like falcon better than anyone else in this game. I just like the way he plays, the speed at which he moves, and his aerial pressuring abilities.
I'd argue that Ganondorf is actually better at comboing than Sonic, and half the cast of Brawl for that matter.

His D-air has RIDICULOUS hitstun, and when autocanceled, leads to almost anything, and that LEGITIMATELY combos at low percents. D-air to U-smash does 46% right off the bat. At higher percents you can D-air to Double Jump U-air or B-air for over 30%.

Not just that, these two hit combos that do ridiculous damage are actually very easy to do after you land that D-air, since DI has like ZERO effect on Ganondorf's D-air and because the hitstun is just so crazy.

Add the guaranteed Flame choke setups (Jab, F-tilt, D-tilt) he has on almost the entire cast, yeah. He's actually one hell of a combo machine in Brawl.

degypr

Smash Cadet
Falcon is defenitly alot better than Ganondorf even if I main both of them. Ganondorf's jumping abaility is just sad. That was by the way one of the reason falcon is worse in Brawl (which I've never heard someone mention before). In Melee he could jump half the distance of Final Destination with one Falcon Jump. In Brawl it's like somethings holding him back...

EDIT: And the knee is NOT that hard to hit with as you guys makes it out to be...

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
cpt. falcon iz faster tho and has better recovery. plus his side-B is one of the easiest spikes to land.------ falcon pawnch, falcon kyick, falcon...****!!!!

Tenki

Smash Hero
@A2ZOMG
lol still relying on other people's opinions for yours? ;p
I thought I brought up the whole Sonic's mobility is better than Falcon's a long time ago xD

Ganon combos hard when he can.

However, he can't ... really combo too often. I like the D-air combo as well, but honestly, it's near impossible to catch someone familiar with Ganondorf with that move. Too much damage and it will send too high for Ganondorf to catch up with even a U-air. Too much D-air and stale move effect will take its toll and reduce hitstun considerably. etc.

Sonic's are generally much weaker (20-30%) but can be pulled off at almost any% except for the upper%'s (say, 160%).

So anyway, I tried tilt spamming with Falcon once and got the guy 0-50% with various F-tilt and D-tilt mixups since the tilts kept hitting the guy in startup lag. It was pretty funny.

And the knee is NOT that hard to hit with as you guys makes it out to be...
Considering that you have to jump inside your opponent as well as get the timing right, it's kind of... difficult to get an opening for it, since most people will have an attack aura (eg, Marth.) protecting them at most times.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Considering that you have to jump inside your opponent as well as get the timing right, it's kind of... difficult to get an opening for it, since most people will have an attack aura (eg, Marth.) protecting them at most times.
Factor that in with small characters and it's sometimes impossible to actually land. Unless you mind game the opponent into going right where you want them to. I usually catch opponents when they have a bad habit of jumping as an approach.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Falcon has been way too nerfed for brawl...all of his moves do like 3%-7% and his aireals now suck...
i cant use the knee for combos either...

CF also almost has no kill moves and has almost as much lag as gannon.

murder choke >raptor boost because it is a grab...you cant sheild it...

CF basically has all sorts of weak moves that NEVER hit... Usmash is useless...no chain grabs... and the falcon punch DOSENT KILL AT 70% wtf?

Gannon is the new captain falcon...

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
What's this I hear about CF's jump being bad!?!? His jumping is PERFECT for his size. He has good horizontal air movement too. Plus he's a fast faller and I love a fast faller, makes for some good pseudo L-canceling. That would explain why I also use Fox and Sheik.

I think some of you don't use CF enough.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Falcon has been way too nerfed for brawl...all of his moves do like 3%-7% and his aireals now suck...

CF basically has all sorts of weak moves that NEVER hit... Usmash is useless...no chain grabs... and the falcon punch DOSENT KILL AT 70% wtf?

Falcon Punch is weaker at the tip, that's probably your problem. See the killing percents sticky for more info.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Ganondorf is better, but I think it's pretty close. falcon's speed is good but the lack of priority puts him below ganon unfortunatly.

but still falcon FTW!!

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice

That comment is so wrong I almost have no idea where to start...

His aerials do not suck. Have you been on something or does your air game just like suck?

Raptor boost can spike. It can also be used in other ways if you know what you're doing with it. Oh, a running grab. Neat. Wait, its easy to dodge? Never mind.

Knee, USmash, DSmash, Fsmash, Paunch, should I go on? You need to learn how to use them. Talk to Sonic players about lack of kill moves. His lag is bad though, no argument there.

I forgot how chain grabs make you a better player. Complaining about lack of it is basically showing you can't live without em. And his moves do hit, just because he isn't MK doesn't mean he can't hit with them. Mind games. And I've killed with the paunch at lower percentages. Do you even KNOW how to play C Falcon?

If Snake can't be the new C Falcon to every C Falcon fan how can someone about 10+ places down from Snake take his spot? Answer is he can't. C Falcon is just harder to use then he used to be and no one, I repeat NO ONE can replace him. I'd rather play a good C Falcon then a good Gannondorf anytime of the day.

Top Bottom