• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
It's not really the same thing as playing as real K. Rool, the moves do not fit him at all.

For the newcomers thing, I somewhat understand them, we have got three veterans and one newcomer, so I think it's not completely wrong to want newcomers prioritised over veterans. Wolf should definitely come back, but I think after that they should focus on newcomers.
I remember one of them saying "They should not request anyone who is already playable in Smash in any form", so there's that.

I don't mean offense to anything, just :/

I remember one of them saying "They should not request anyone who is already playable in Smash in any form", so there's that.

I don't mean offense to anything, just :/
Oh, okay, I missed that thing. Well, I guess it's okay to say that to a person who says stupid things like that.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
So we have 10 days until my aquatic meet the Mario Maker Stage (and over-hopefully something along with it) and 13 days until the ballot ends and stuff...

Time really runs so fast...

I think I'm still not ready for what may or may not happen at those times...

Hopefully a certain canis lupus will be revealed soon...

A little off-topic, but I find it funny that Wolfgang is a name in Germany.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be really funny if you know "Fox" and "Wolf" are valid names.
I wonder if I could legally change my name to "Wolf O'Donnell". Then I could ask Sakurai to add me to Smash. :troll:

EDIT: But in my home country, Fox and Wolf (or their translations) aren't valid names.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
I wonder if I could legally change my name to "Wolf O'Donnell". Then I could ask Sakurai to add me to Smash. :troll:

EDIT: But in my home country, Fox and Wolf (or their translations) aren't valid names.
Well, here in Hong Kong, even a name as weird as "Logo" will not be blamed, so let alone those (Well we have a youtuber here called Fox :/)

Yeah, Hong Kong almost gives no limits on names. :3

to be fair having an English name isn't even a necessity here :/

just fyiiii
http://nameberry.com/babyname/Fox
http://nameberry.com/babyname/Wolf
What exactly a "valid name?" You can change your name to whatever you want! Why does it have to be "valid?"

Lol, but I would hate to go around with the name "Wolf."
In some countries, certain given names aren't allowed by the law, but that's mostly when it gives the person a bad impression (such as Akuma in Japan, Adolf in Germany etc), or sometimes it's just weird restrictions (Tom is banned in Portuguese, Elaine is banned in Saudi Arabia etc)

Wait, why are we even talking about these?

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
They've pretty much made it so that Wolf is the only Star Fox character that can be added. He's a veteran, and an important one, meaning he'll take priority over any other of Star Fox's limited potential newcomers. Krystal's the only one even in his ballpark in terms of popularity, but she's not even in Zero. Slippy and Peppy are jokes, you can't add anyone else from Star Wolf without Wolf himself being there first, etc. Wolf is literally the only real option they've left themselves for Star Fox.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
They've pretty much made it so that Wolf is the only Star Fox character that can be added. He's a veteran, and an important one, meaning he'll take priority over any other of Star Fox's limited potential newcomers. Krystal's the only one even in his ballpark in terms of popularity, but she's not even in Zero. Slippy and Peppy are jokes, you can't add anyone else from Star Wolf without Wolf himself being there first, etc. Wolf is literally the only real option they've left themselves for Star Fox.
K Rool isn't in Returns or Tropical Freeze and he's still one of the most request characters, possibly the most, I can't see Sakurai not adding him. Assuming she gets enough votes (Top 10 at least probably) Krystal is still very possible

Last edited:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
Too many swordsmen? I guess there's too many fist fighters, too many Mario characters, too many Pokemon characters and too many Fire Emblem characters...actually some people believe those last 3 quite a bit. I'm not personally someone who wanted Chrom though I did think he'd be a shoe in but it's still hypocrisy to not add one character either for being too similar to one character or being too similar to numerous characters then adding a character with those exact 'issues'. Lucina fans get to rejoice as they play as their favourite waifu while Chrom fans...they get to see him if they pick Robin...and items are on or they go to Palutena's Temple with Pit or they win. Heck we have Roy as dlc, a Marth clone turned into a semi clone and he uses a sword too. That could have been Chrom.

We're at the dlc point of the game. The game is out already, people bought it and are playing it and they (the people that made the game) have very few time constraints although they do have a smaller team. They can add any damn character(s) they want regardless of logic or reasoning. This includes Chrom, Waluigi, Ridley, all veterans and heck even Geno. Certain rights would have to be acquired and negotiations would have to be made for some but for a large amount of characters, there's hardly an excuse.

In all seriousness, please no Goku or Geno...

Also, if I'm coming off as offended or offensive or whatever then my bad. Not trying to but it's late, I'm tired and I'm typing before thinking. Somewhat noticing an unintended offensive tone as I read over my posts.
I have to agree on goku but Geno is atleast a video game character coming from a video game Goku cant be added do to the fact he is an anime character and Nintendo saying they are adding only video game characters

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
K Rool isn't in Returns or Tropical Freeze and he's still one of the most request characters, possibly the most, I can't see Sakurai not adding him. Assuming she gets enough votes (Top 10 at least probably) Krystal is still very possible
K. Rool was the main villain of the trilogy that brought DK back to prominence. He's DK's Bowser. Not to mention that he's been highly requested since before Melee, when the DKC trilogy/DK64 were still recent. Krystal's kinda just there. And really, you can't see Sakurai not adding him? It took him until Brawl just to add Diddy Kong.
Not saying she's impossible, but if Star Fox only gets one more character, which is likely, it's got to be Wolf. That is, of course, if Smash gets any SF DLC at all. If they do opt to include Krystal over the more important, more well-liked veteran, then there are going to be a LOT of pissed off people.

Last edited:

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys know that the voice actor of the Engineer from TF2 voice Wolf in Star Fox Assault?
Here the video:
(Skip to 0:50 if you want to see it.)

Did guys also know that the voice actor of the Soldier from TF2 have also voiced Wolf and several other characters in Star Fox 64?
(They all can be heard and seen in this video skip to 0:37 if you want to see all of it.)

I know this is off topic but I want to show you guys that Wolf was also voiced by these guys.

Now I need to support :wolf: for you guys!

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
K. Rool was the main villain of the trilogy that brought DK back to prominence. He's DK's Bowser. Not to mention that he's been highly requested since before Melee, when the DKC trilogy/DK64 were still recent. Krystal's kinda just there. And really, you can't see Sakurai not adding him? It took him until Brawl just to add Diddy Kong.
Not saying she's impossible, but if Star Fox only gets one more character, which is likely, it's got to be Wolf. That is, of course, if Smash gets any SF DLC at all. If they do opt to include Krystal over the more important, more well-liked veteran, then there are going to be a LOT of pissed off people.
They could very well add both, especially if Wolf does end up being a pre-ballot character

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
You guys are going to dislike me for this, but if veterans "won" the ballot, would Sakurai really consider them? Isn't that the point of pre-ballot?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Did you guys know that the voice actor of the Engineer from TF2 voice Wolf in Star Fox Assault?
Here the video:
(Skip to 0:50 if you want to see it.)

Did guys also know that the voice actor of the Soldier from TF2 have also voiced Wolf and several other characters in Star Fox 64?
(They all can be heard and seen in this video skip to 0:37 if you want to see all of it.)

I know this is off topic but I want to show you guys that Wolf was also voiced by these guys.

Now I need to support :wolf: for you guys!
Those videos were excellent! Thanks for uploading them here and the SF64 clips really brought back some memories and I had no idea so many characters were voiced by one person in the game.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
You guys are going to dislike me for this, but if veterans "won" the ballot, would Sakurai really consider them? Isn't that the point of pre-ballot?
Well, Sakurai never said the Ballot would be newcomers only. If a veteran proves to be popular enough, it only makes sense to add them. I doubt they would just ignore the people requesting their favorite characters back.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I thought there were gonna be several "winners", and wolf should of already been pre-ballot. Plus i heard somewhere that sakurai hates cutting vets and plans to focus dlc on people who lost their mains.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I feel like it's gonna be similar to operation moonfall--begged for years for Majora's Mask 3DS then come to find it was already in devlopment

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I feel like it's gonna be similar to operation moonfall--begged for years for Majora's Mask 3DS then come to find it was already in devlopment
That was pretty much the case with me and Roy. I supported him all the way until the end, and then I found out he was in development before the Ballot was even made.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I just thought from Sakurai's perspective, Veterans are kinda obvious--why wait for the Ballot if you know you're gonna see Veterans?

edit: I mean for Ice Climbers and Snake, they might need that push for their respective difficulties, but if Wolf needs the Ballot to "verify" his popularity than somethings amiss.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I just thought from Sakurai's perspective, Veterans are kinda obvious--why wait for the Ballot if you know you're gonna see Veterans?

edit: I mean for Ice Climbers and Snake, they might need that push for their respective difficulties, but if Wolf needs the Ballot to "verify" his popularity than somethings amiss.
October 3rd is when it ends right? However, they still need a good 3-4 months to actually make those characters. Maybe Sakurai is holding wolf until the 3rd, that way fans don't have to wait till 2016 for new characters. It gives us something to hold us over until then.

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
Above all, I believe Sakurai is taking his time on releasing Wolf because he might want him to be -even different- than Fox. (Cause no one can call him a clone)

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
October 3rd is when it ends right? However, they still need a good 3-4 months to actually make those characters. Maybe Sakurai is holding wolf until the 3rd, that way fans don't have to wait till 2016 for new characters. It gives us something to hold us over until then.
That would be so hype! I never played Wolf in Brawl or PM, but I would main him from day 1.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Yeah but it could have been other characters...that's a bit of a stretch to be real...
Above all, I believe Sakurai is taking his time on releasing Wolf because he might him to be -even different- than Fox. (Cause no one can call him a clone)
I'm not sure how would that work to further declone him. The specials are one of the things I like about Wolf and I'm don't think there's anything to come up with without relying on derivatives, and for bair and pummel? Well to be fair these are actually the few really-hardly-differentiated out of everything, but same can be said for Ftilt and Nair (That Wolf managed to get a unique move out of), so... Idk

The only moves change we can root for is really only the Final Smash imo. But I suppose that alone would actually impress most of those who didn't like Wolf or whatever.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
What part of that is a stretch? Makes perfect sense to me--only I believe the 30th would be last pre-ballot stuff. I mean, I feel in a veteran terms, Wolf is up next--now, maybe there's a pre-ballot NEWCOMER, it's possible, but I can comfortably believe that Wolf could released/announced on the 30th or 3rd. I can understand being discouraged from all the misfires, but we have gone through most notable veterans with no notable difficulties.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Yeah but it could have been other characters...that's a bit of a stretch to be real...
I'm not sure how would that work to further declone him. The specials are one of the things I like about Wolf and I'm don't think there's anything to come up with without relying on derivatives, and for bair and pummel? Well to be fair these are actually the few really-hardly-differentiated out of everything, but same can be said for Ftilt and Nair (That Wolf managed to get a unique move out of), so... Idk

The only moves change we can root for is really only the Final Smash imo. But I suppose that alone would actually impress most of those who didn't like Wolf or whatever.
How is that streching exactly? I honestly can't see Sakurai making fans wait from june to early next year for new characters. He'll probably ship out a character or two to keep everyone happy, while he deals with the ballot. Otherwise they're gonna get inpatient and pissed. Wolf just fits the "last pre ballot character" position perfectly.
What "other characters" are you referring to? Snake is under konami (who's all kinds of f***** up now), ice climbers have tect issues, while:younglinkmelee::pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur:,aren't that popular (certainly not more popular than wolf)

Edit: i mean the whole "i can't keep the development team forever" comment implies that he wants to push out as many characters as he can. So i can't see them sitting around with their thumbs up their a**** from june to october just waiting for the ballot to end. They gotta be working on someone

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
How is that streching exactly? I honestly can't see Sakurai making fans wait from june to early next year for new characters. He'll probably ship out a character or two to keep everyone happy, while he deals with the ballot. Otherwise they're gonna get inpatient and pissed. Wolf just fits the "last pre ballot character" position perfectly.
What "other characters" are you referring to? Snake is under konami (who's all kinds of f***** up now), ice climbers have tect issues, while:younglinkmelee::pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur:,aren't that popular (certainly not more popular than wolf)

Edit: i mean the whole "i can't keep the development team forever" comment implies that he wants to push out as many characters as he can. So i can't see them sitting around with their thumbs up their a**** from june to october just waiting for the ballot to end. They gotta be working on someone
Plus they must've been working on Ryu and Roy during Lucas's announcement so they can do a good deal of characters at a time in production.

D

Deleted member

From what i heard, Nintendo tends to complete projects much earlier than intended and they release it later for strategic purposes.

For instance, someone once mentioned on the NintenZone Social Thread that MM3D was around 97% completed while the ESRB leak was happening last year. (or at least, that's what i remember hearing).

So it wouldn't be surprised if Wolf was already completed and they are just waiting to release it some time later.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It's not the same thing as playing as real K. Rool, the moves do not fit him at all.

For the newcomers thing, I somewhat understand them, we have got three veterans and one newcomer, so I think it's not completely wrong to want newcomers prioritised over veterans. Wolf should definitely come back, but I think after that they should focus on newcomers.
Agreed entirely.

Edit: On both points.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
From what i heard, Nintendo tends to complete projects much earlier than intended and they release it later for strategic purposes.

For instance, someone once mentioned on the NintenZone Social Thread that MM3D was around 97% completed while the ESRB leak was happening last year. (or at least, that's what i remember hearing).

So it wouldn't be surprised if Wolf was already completed and they are just waiting to release it some time later.
Indeed. From the point in time in which they finished their last character (most likely Ryu around June) to this point in time (or more accurately, October 3rd) they have been working on a character. Not just one, well, I suppose it could have been just one. But they had more than enough time (if the 2-3 month figure is true) to do two of them. Or at least start progress on a character prior to the ballot closing. But then we have at least one character coming from the ballot results (not necessarily the winner) as well which is why I figure we will get at least 3 more characters. One of those is (probably) Wolf and he, as you said, is finished but they are just waiting to release him.

We pretty much have proof of this practice in Smash via Roy and Ryu as is. They were finished before they were announced and released alongside Lucas as a surprise.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Indeed. From the point in time in which they finished their last character (most likely Ryu around June) to this point in time (or more accurately, October 3rd) they have been working on a character. Not just one, well, I suppose it could have been just one. But they had more than enough time (if the 2-3 month figure is true) to do two of them. Or at least start progress on a character prior to the ballot closing. But then we have at least one character coming from the ballot results (not necessarily the winner) as well which is why I figure we will get at least 3 more characters. One of those is (probably) Wolf and he, as you said, is finished but they are just waiting to release him.

We pretty much have proof of this practice in Smash via Roy and Ryu as is. They were finished before they were announced and released alongside Lucas as a surprise.
Does this confirm Young Link and Wolf?

Morbi

Scavenger
Does this confirm Young Link and Wolf?
Of course not, I wish it did. Honestly, it is a very real possibility that Wolf is not one of the characters. Everyone doubts that, but it could still be the case. You never know, Sakurai could have observed early ballot results and started developing one of those characters rather than a veteran as we assume. But there would still be one character that they started after Ryu and it is more likely than not Wolf. However, it is not confirmed, just speculation.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I guess it should also go without saying that Sakurai really doesn't HAVE to wait until the Ballot closes to add characters from there, or release them in any certain order, because the list will be used as a reference in the future. This is all just our expectations.

I just want the characters to be decided and have this ride arrive at the station. I'm tired of being strung along.

Top Bottom