• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

StormshockNightbringer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stormshock
I have a question for you guys.
Why do you support Wolf?
At first, I didn't care that much Wolf, I thought as him as some clone, and his popularity was fuel by band wagoners.
But, then I played Brawl, for my first time in months. When I was choosing a character I saw Wolf, I chose him because why not?
After playing him for a few matches, and using his amazing taunts. I fell in love with the character
(No homo). To be honest Smash really needs more villains, we got a lot of females characters this time around, so why can't we have more villains?
Well after maining Link for two games, Wolf was the only one who could make me switch mains. He was fun to play and also my favorite character from Star Fox 64. The fact we need more villains and that Star Fox was great at 3 reps makes Wolf's inclusion pretty much a given to me.

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
Greetings from Spain, Wolf fans! I'm here to cheer you guys up a little, once again!
This time, do you know about Star Fox The Animated Series? Plenty of Wolf stuff here, and he's truly enjoyable.

And now, the full scene from the ending of the previous vid:

Wolf is such a badass, right?
I look forward to this project! I'm in love with the music already...

Seriously, I don't know why I didn't play any single Star Fox game yet. I'm sad it's not part of my childhood, but I'm happy with a character like Wolf. He's one of those characters you turn into his complete fan before playing the game. Yep, I'm one of them.

Last edited:

Esknier

Smash Cadet
1.)Was better and maybe sent them faster
2.)Magenta,instead of light blue
I did remember it was magenta, but I was more curious about the actual properties of the reflector as opposed to visual differences, not to be rude.

Charge Blaster is (fundamentally) different from Wolf's Neutral B. Aside from the Accumulative damage (Fox 11 vs 9 Wolf) and projectile speed, its:
  • Hitbox
    Fox: Only the Charged Blaster Shot
    Wolf: Claw on Blaster + Shot
  • Startup
    Fox: ~1 second
    Wolf: 11 frames
  • Knockback
    Fox: 45deg high knockback growth (KO at 201%)
    Wolf: Claw 20deg 70 knockback, Shot 40deg low knockback growth (Cannot KO)
  • Fundamental Function
    Fox: Charge a more powerful Blaster Shot
    Wolf: Stun opponents with Blaster Claw, and hit with Regular Blaster Shot
Are completely different. Same for Twisting Fox (to a lesser extent), while damage (Fox 13 vs 11 Wolf) are similar, its:
  • Hitbox
    Fox: Startup multihits, Travel multihits, Ending hit
    Wolf: Travel multihits, Ending hit
  • Startup
    Fox: 43 frames
    Wolf: 23 frames
  • Duration
    Fox: 33 frames (Slower than Fire Fox)
    Wolf: 20 frames (Faster than Fire Fox)
  • Distance
    Fox: (Shorter than Fire Fox, Big ledge sweetspot)
    Wolf: (Around same as Fire Fox, Small ledge sweetspot)
  • Knockback
    Fox:
    Startup 366(Autolink 2)deg 28 knockback, low knockback growth
    Intermediate 90/90/366/366deg 60 knockback, medium knockback growth
    End 55deg 60 knockback, VERY HIGH (270) knockback growth​
    Wolf:
    Intermediate 45/45/365(Autolink 1)/361(Sakurai Angle)deg 0 base knockback, medium knockback growth
    End 65/361deg 60 knockback, high (130) knockback growth​
  • Fundamental Function
    Fox: Spin to drag opponents in, then pushes opponent by twisting, ending with a big hit
    Wolf: Powered by the device on back (?), slightly drags opponent by thrusting forward with leg, ending with a kick
While Twisting Fox may be a reminiscent of Wolf Shoot, it's function still differs a lot. I've mentioned this earlier, but that it may be possible since Wolf's specials are modified to fit more of his personality, which doesn't quite fit Fox, so they are either changed visually (Wolf Flash), derived into another move (Wolf Shoot), or not used at all (Claw Blaster, Wolf's Reflector).

For the reflector difference, firstly, there are apparently visual differences:

It reflects projectiles with a faster speed but not as high damage. It gives Wolf ~4 frames of invincibility, hits at frame 8-9 (Fox 6 before 1.1.0 and 6-7 after 1.1.0), and reflects at 10. Or in other words, can be used as a slight counter. Think a very brief Focus Attack.
Thank you for this answer, actually very helpful. I don't play either Fox or Wolf, so I was very unfamiliar with the differences between the customs and Wolf's specials. Thank you again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
It's already been said but the only custom that is truly ripped from Wolf is Wolf Flash. The blaster lacks the bayonet and is much less spammable and Twisting Fox is a kill move while Fire Wolf was not. As for reflector differences, along with everything that's been mentioned, Wolf's didn't stall his falling at all like Fox's does.

As for why I support Wolf, he's my favourite video game character and has my favourite moveset of any character in Smash.

As for trailer, I can't think of much for a catchy 'thing' other than "Wolf joins the battle." However, I can see the trailer starting off with Fox kicking *** and doing really well then we hear either "Can't let you do that Starfox" or "Playtime ends here Starfox" depending on the voice actor then we see a foot send Fox flying away and the camera pans over to show Wolf. Then the catchy 'joins the battle' thing pops up and from there it's kick*** footage of Wolf wrecking everyone.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Why do you support Wolf?
At first, I didn't care that much Wolf, I thought as him as some clone, and his popularity was fuel by band wagoners.
But, then I played Brawl, for my first time in months. When I was choosing a character I saw Wolf, I chose him because why not?
After playing him for a few matches, and using his amazing taunts. I fell in love with the character
(No homo). To be honest Smash really needs more villains, we got a lot of females characters this time around, so why can't we have more villains?
I support Wolf because he was my secondary at times
I usually picked Falco and Game and Watch
I picked Wolf and Toon Link a little less and considered them secondaries,along with Ganondorf and Captain Falcon

All of them returned in SM4SH,except Wolf

I added more in SM4SH:Shulk,Villager,PacMan,etc.

So I support him til he is either deconfirmed or confirmed
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)also Lenny cuz Wynaut?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Why do you support Wolf?
I didn't actually cared for him either at first until I played Star Fox 64 3D (my first Star Fox game), in which I enjoyed his character for who he is (minus the British accent).

So to answer your question, I support him because he was one of my mains in Brawl with unique movesets. I also liked how he interacted with the Star Fox characters with the quote "Playtime's over, Star Fox" whenever he beats them. I'm willing to drop Falco and Ike just to main him again if he returns.

Why do you support Wolf?
I have the same reason as @ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA : Wolf was a unique character in Brawl with no reason to be cut. Also, Smash needs more villains.

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
I always imagined the trailer being like Fox and Falco fighting epicly.

Fox knocks Falco off the stage and taunts. We see a blaster shot and Fox is sent flying off the stage with his 296% health.

"Playtime's over, Star Fox!" Wolf appears with his blaster held out in front of him. He puts away his blaster away and then looks at the camera.

"WOLF can't let you do that" is the title. Wow so creative. Anyway then there is cool footage and ****.

The end.

Yay I suck at writing trailers.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Why do you support Wolf?
I support Wolf because he was my main in Brawl along with Sonic and Fox and his moveset fit me so well. Plus his voice was bad***!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hello, you may know me from the Bandana Dee thread, I've made a discovery that may point at Wolf being in Smash.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
This seems suspicious and my avatar fits this situation perfectly. Mind sharing this discovery with us?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Hello, you may know me from the Bandana Dee thread, I've made a discovery that may point at Wolf being in Smash.
And that is...?
Oh, um, well if it's no trouble, could you tell us about it please?
Please share.
This seems suspicious and my avatar fits this situation perfectly. Mind sharing this discovery with us?
He tends to do this. Wait and then post it like 30 minutes after he says it. ITS ****ING ANNOYING. And its not usually something that is huge news.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Sure, here's what it is. So basically, Smash reuses assets from the Mii streetpass plaza, including a stage, enemy ai, and even outfits. So I rounded the top three ballot characters that are in the plaza and found why they could be in these include, Wolf, Bandana Waddle Dee and surprisingly Chibi Robo, now due to the reused assests, these characters have a high chance of being put into the game due to popularity/relavency/uniqueness. Those are my findings, also sorry this took a while. Hope this was helpful.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Sure, here's what it is. So basically, Smash reuses assets from the Mii streetpass plaza, including a stage, enemy ai, and even outfits. So I rounded the top three ballot characters that are in the plaza and found why they could be in these include, Wolf, Bandana Waddle Dee and surprisingly Chibi Robo, now due to the reused assests, these characters have a high chance of being put into the game due to popularity/relavency/uniqueness. Those are my findings, also sorry this took a while. Hope this was helpful.
This doesn't mean much you know. So, Smash uses assets from Mii Plaza. So what.
@ Powerman293 Powerman293 its usually on the Bandana Dee thread.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Why do you support Wolf?
I support Wolf because... Well I do. My interest for Wolf came approximately months before the ballot, when I first checked about Smash in Wikipedia. I found out characters like Wolf and Fox (while went out to read the whole article, you know what kind of person I am), and learned about Star Fox. I just liked these characters, so I gradually started downloading emulators and playing Star Fox and Smash Bros.

Though the time I actually played Brawl is like 2 months ago.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm not saying its bad, its good that you bring up some news, as small as it may be. Its just annoying that you take like 30-40 minutes.
Part of this is because I'm using the Wii U, and my computer and phone have, problems... That's part of the reason why it takes a while.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Smash reuses assets from KIU too. Medusa confirmed?

Really, these are just pure inspection, nothing too interesting.

Part of this is because I'm using the Wii U, and my computer and phone have, problems... That's part of the reason why it takes a while.
... ._. I don't even know this feature

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
God, typing on the gamepad must suck. Not as much as systems with just a controller (****ing PS3 msgs. I hate PS3 msgs).
It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's still not that good because of occasional internet hiccups and having to constantly correct yourself. It's a pain.
Smash reuses assets from KIU too. Medusa confirmed?

Really, these are just pure inspection, nothing too interesting.

... ._. I don't even know this feature
Yep, it's a thing, it's in the home menu.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
There isn't really anything interesting from what you said. Basically it's just pure speculation and nothing more.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Bruh,tell us the big news so we can get more hope

If you don't spew bullcrap(not saying you do)we can flood the Twitter's of the Wolf requesters and wanters

EDIT:Didn't see the post(Wolf confirmed??)

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Well, this is just not more than a "he's popular so he's likely" kind of thing.

(Btw, is it just me or we somehow got closer to the BDee support thread lately?)

I have known about the Wolf hat and Waddle Dee hat already. These may be the only safety net we have from getting reduced into a costume so lel

Just to stir up some topic, there was a Slippy costume revealed in Mario maker yesterday. Any thoughts on this?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

(Btw, is it just me or we somehow got closer to the BDee support thread lately?)

I have known about the Wolf hat and Waddle Dee hat already. These may be the only safety net we have from getting reduced into a costume so lel

Just to stir up some topic, there was a Slippy costume revealed in Mario maker yesterday. Any thoughts on this?
Does the Slippy costume cause immediate suckiness? If not, this game is not accurate.

Last edited:

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101

Slippy Confirmed

Yes,I know these are unlockable

Yes,I know Slippy is not happening(tho there is a chance out there;Think of the Ridley supporters)

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
There was an image of Tingle being in game, too. I think that they're probably just unlockables, or something. Plus, adding Tingle and Slippy over the likes of Minda/Impa and Wolf/Krystal would cause serious backlash from the community. It's like picturing Jigglypuff as DLC if she was never in Smash Brothers.

On a side note, today at work I decided to bring Star Fox: Assault over, along with a few other games, and play a mission or two. Beat the whole game, one sitting, no teammates down, on silver. Holy ****, I love that game so much. Great voice acting, fun and new gameplay, great/appealing graphics, and an actual story. Off topic, but, damn, I want Star Fox Assault 2 so bad

Esknier

Smash Cadet

Oh Slippy. What do you do that isn't outclassed by nearly everyone in the Star Fox franchise? No really, I'm curious.

Top Bottom