• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
There's a new article up on Source Gaming where Sakurai answers some Brawl questions.

The first question is why Wolf was chosen for Brawl and not Krystal.

Basically Wolf was chosen because of his popularity and because he was easy to make.

I recommend reading the whole article since it is a very interesting read.
Seems like Wolf got extremely lucky, along side the other two. I guess he wasn't as lucky this time, but there's still DLC at least, with him being one of the most wanted. Well, I hope he still is anyway.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
He's clearly aware of Wolf's popularity and I don't think he's stupid enough to completely ignore that, he's just waiting for the right time. I still believe Wolf is pretty much guaranteed, and that's not even me being overly optimistic, I find it to be EXTREMELY likely.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
He's clearly aware of Wolf's popularity and I don't think he's stupid enough to completely ignore that, he's just waiting for the right time. I still believe Wolf is pretty much guaranteed, and that's not even me being overly optimistic, I find it to be EXTREMELY likely.
I don't know why, but for some really strange reason, I actually agree with you. I think that may be the case.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Not Spika. Its Pika. Get it. Pokemans and then Pika. Like Pikachu. I'm in Dreamland *flies away on a star*

edit - @ Tino Tino Puns are good for the soul. They are the essence of living. And fun to make!
Spikachu?

Jeez, I don't really know how to take this. On one note, we can confirm that Sakurai acknowledges both Wolf AND Krystal's fans, and that Krystal didn't make it in because of the large amount of work and the time constraints. It also stings that Wolf was one of the three last characters to make it in, because that just reflects on his priority with SSB4. I'm still hoping we get a Star Fox DLC Bundle with Wolf and Krystal, and with acknowledgement at the least (even though it was after Brawl), it seems a bit more realistic. Wait until Star Fox Zero's release and get them both, seeing as they'd have quite a good bit of time to make them.

On a side note, I decided to pick up and play a little bit of Brawl whilst dog-sitting some newborns. Ten hours of playing later, I realized just how badass Wolf was, and just how much I really want him back. Sakurai pls.
The thing that bugs me is, Toon Link got in, Wolf didn't.

So it was all thanks to Wolf's POPULARITY that he got into Brawl. Wolf is currently one of, if not the most popular characters requested for DLC.
Not sure if saying Wolf is popular implying Krystal isn't, but as always, Wolf has got some advantage.

(Did he just compare Krystal with Waddle Dee, Dry Bones and Baby Peach tho? Lol)

Esknier

Smash Cadet
Spikachu?

(Did he just compare Krystal with Waddle Dee, Dry Bones and Baby Peach tho? Lol)
It is frustrating, I understand. To be fair though, many do like Toon Link, but I think between Wolf and Toon Link, more people would prefer Wolf. And we all know there are some people that would argue that Dry Bones, Baby Peach, and Waddle Dee are more deserving inclusions to the Smash Bros roster than dear Krystal is. I am not one of them, but they exist.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Spikachu?

Not sure if saying Wolf is popular implying Krystal isn't, but as always, Wolf has got some advantage.

To be fair, toon link is more cloney and was more relevant. I'd rather have Wolf obviously but it makes sense

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Was there ever a reason explained why Wolf wasn't put into Smash 4? I presume development time, but then I wonder about if they could have used the time they were making clones at the end to instead at least get started on Wolf.

Aqua Admin Shelly

Smash Apprentice
Was there ever a reason explained why Wolf wasn't put into Smash 4? I presume development time, but then I wonder about if they could have used the time they were making clones at the end to instead at least get started on Wolf.
They did get started on Wolf, some of his moves were recycled.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Wolf Flash, too.
Upon closer inspection, it seems more like Fox's take on Wolf Flash, the translation team is the one that (once again Cough Wolf Shoot Cough) messed it up, in the Japanese version its called Fox flash which is more fitting, it has the same sound as Fox illusion and is clear, unlike Wolf's purple Wolf Flash.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Upon closer inspection, it seems more like Fox's take on Wolf Flash, the translation team is the one that (once again Cough Wolf Shoot Cough) messed it up, in the Japanese version its called Fox flash which is more fitting, it has the same sound as Fox illusion and is clear, unlike Wolf's purple Wolf Flash.
If I recall correctly, Japanese version still calls it Wolf Flash, actually.

The only difference in translation is Up B, which is Jet Pack and Mega Drill instead of Flying(?) Fox and Twisting Fox respectively.

Still, the "Fox's take on Wolf Flash" could be true.

Esknier

Smash Cadet
Lol. Shows how much I know. I swear I learn something new about smash every day.I didn't even know that because I haven't unlocked all of the customs yet.
Wish it was easier to unlock customs...

Another possibility we should think about is if Wolf will outright get a new set of Specials and Final Smash, considering Fox takes most of Wolf's Special moveset, and there were numerous complaints about Fox, Falco and Wolf all having the same final smashes. I would actually approve of changes to his specials so long as they left his normals untouched.

Last edited by a moderator:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Another possibility we should think about is if Wolf will outright get a new set of Specials and Final Smash, considering Fox takes most of Wolf's Special moveset, and there were numerous complaints about Fox, Falco and Wolf all having the same final smashes. I would actually approve of changes to his specials so long as they left his normals untouched.
There's only one move from Wolf used for Fox's Custom Special...
I wouldn't mind too much about the Final Smash, but I don't really want to change Wolf's specials... Unless they buff recovery, that is.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It would be interesting if Wolf could have his Wolfen as his final smash in Smash 4. I mean, even Zamus uses her Gunship and the Star Fox characters are still refusing to use the Airwings. Two boring landmasters are enough, huh?

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Not likely. Ness has Lucas's specials as his customs.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Ness has a custom for each special that behaves like one of Lucas'. Neutral has PK Freeze, side has a PK fire that does a single hit much like Lucas' although it still angles down and I don't believe it has the wave of fire Lucas' does, up has a PK Thunder that goes through enemies, doing numerous hits much like Lucas', not sure if it covers more distance or if it's slower/has different turning like Lucas' and down has a PSI Magnet with a hitbox that appears in front of Ness rather than around him.

As for Wolf, I can't see him getting different specials and I'd honestly rather if he keeps his specials untouched or largely untouched.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Damn, this thread has been quiet for over 12 hours now. Has everyone here gone back to school or something? If that's the case, then that's understandable.

Damn, this thread has been quiet for over 12 hours now. Has everyone here gone back to school or something? If that's the case, then that's understandable.
I think that's because there's really nothing to discuss, and off-topic discussions are not allowed...

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
I think that's because there's really nothing to discuss, and off-topic discussions are not allowed...
Why not his(eventual)reveal trailer

Fox and Krystal are fighting a shadowy figure shaped like an animal

Fox and Krystal get blown to the ground

Krystal gets up

"Krystal joins the staff"(Couldn't think of anything)

BUT WAIT,THERE'S MORE
The shadowy figure steps into view,revealing his identity in the progress

"Wolf just acts"(Lacking imagination here)

Trailer starts:
Wolf,Krystal,and Fox fight the cast on Orbital Gate Assault,Lylat Cruise,and a new DLC stage:Titania(or maybe Sector Z)

Screen goes black(November 13th,2015)

They also reveal Isaac cuz Wynaut?

Esknier

Smash Cadet
There's only one move from Wolf used for Fox's Custom Special...
I wouldn't mind too much about the Final Smash, but I don't really want to change Wolf's specials... Unless they buff recovery, that is.
Three actually that I've unlocked are reminiscent of Wolf's special moveset. Neutral Custom 3 "Charge Blast" is similar to Wolf's blaster (although it has more start up frames, higher damage, and higher knock back ) Fox's "Wolf Flash" custom is well, somewhat obviously similar to Wolf's version, and Fox's Up Custom "Twisting Fox" is very similar to Wolf's up special. Granted, none of these moves are identical to Wolf's, and given the treatment of Lucas and Roy, it seems unlikely that they will change these specials. (Just out of curiosity, I know Wolf had a reflector as his down special, but I don't know what was different about it compared to Fox's or Falco's. Could someone explain?)

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
(Just out of curiosity, I know Wolf had a reflector as his down special, but I don't know what was different about it compared to Fox's or Falco's. Could someone explain?)
1.)Was better and maybe sent them faster
2.)Magenta,instead of light blue

Logo12

Smash Lord
Three actually that I've unlocked are reminiscent of Wolf's special moveset. Neutral Custom 3 "Charge Blast" is similar to Wolf's blaster (although it has more start up frames, higher damage, and higher knock back ) Fox's "Wolf Flash" custom is well, somewhat obviously similar to Wolf's version, and Fox's Up Custom "Twisting Fox" is very similar to Wolf's up special. Granted, none of these moves are identical to Wolf's, and given the treatment of Lucas and Roy, it seems unlikely that they will change these specials. (Just out of curiosity, I know Wolf had a reflector as his down special, but I don't know what was different about it compared to Fox's or Falco's. Could someone explain?)
Charge Blaster is (fundamentally) different from Wolf's Neutral B. Aside from the Accumulative damage (Fox 11 vs 9 Wolf) and projectile speed, its:
  • Hitbox
    Fox: Only the Charged Blaster Shot
    Wolf: Claw on Blaster + Shot
  • Startup
    Fox: ~1 second
    Wolf: 11 frames
  • Knockback
    Fox: 45deg high knockback growth (KO at 201%)
    Wolf: Claw 20deg 70 knockback, Shot 40deg low knockback growth (Cannot KO)
  • Fundamental Function
    Fox: Charge a more powerful Blaster Shot
    Wolf: Stun opponents with Blaster Claw, and hit with Regular Blaster Shot
Are completely different. Same for Twisting Fox (to a lesser extent), while damage (Fox 13 vs 11 Wolf) are similar, its:
  • Hitbox
    Fox: Startup multihits, Travel multihits, Ending hit
    Wolf: Travel multihits, Ending hit
  • Startup
    Fox: 43 frames
    Wolf: 23 frames
  • Duration
    Fox: 33 frames (Slower than Fire Fox)
    Wolf: 20 frames (Faster than Fire Fox)
  • Distance
    Fox: (Shorter than Fire Fox, Big ledge sweetspot)
    Wolf: (Around same as Fire Fox, Small ledge sweetspot)
  • Knockback
    Fox:
    Startup 366(Autolink 2)deg 28 knockback, low knockback growth
    Intermediate 90/90/366/366deg 60 knockback, medium knockback growth
    End 55deg 60 knockback, VERY HIGH (270) knockback growth​
    Wolf:
    Intermediate 45/45/365(Autolink 1)/361(Sakurai Angle)deg 0 base knockback, medium knockback growth
    End 65/361deg 60 knockback, high (130) knockback growth​
  • Fundamental Function
    Fox: Spin to drag opponents in, then pushes opponent by twisting, ending with a big hit
    Wolf: Powered by the device on back (?), slightly drags opponent by thrusting forward with leg, ending with a kick
While Twisting Fox may be a reminiscent of Wolf Shoot, it's function still differs a lot. I've mentioned this earlier, but that it may be possible since Wolf's specials are modified to fit more of his personality, which doesn't quite fit Fox, so they are either changed visually (Wolf Flash), derived into another move (Wolf Shoot), or not used at all (Claw Blaster, Wolf's Reflector).

For the reflector difference, firstly, there are apparently visual differences:

It reflects projectiles with a faster speed but not as high damage. It gives Wolf ~4 frames of invincibility, hits at frame 8-9 (Fox 6 before 1.1.0 and 6-7 after 1.1.0), and reflects at 10. Or in other words, can be used as a slight counter. Think a very brief Focus Attack.

I have a question for you guys.
Why do you support Wolf?
At first, I didn't care that much Wolf, I thought as him as some clone, and his popularity was fuel by band wagoners.
But, then I played Brawl, for my first time in months. When I was choosing a character I saw Wolf, I chose him because why not?
After playing him for a few matches, and using his amazing taunts. I fell in love with the character
(No homo). To be honest Smash really needs more villains, we got a lot of females characters this time around, so why can't we have more villains?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I have a question for you guys.
Why do you support Wolf?
At first, I didn't care that much Wolf, I thought as him as some clone, and his popularity was fuel by band wagoners.
But, then I played Brawl, for my first time in months. When I was choosing a character I saw Wolf, I chose him because why not?
After playing him for a few matches, and using his amazing taunts. I fell in love with the character
(No homo). To be honest Smash really needs more villains, we got a lot of females characters this time around, so why can't we have more villains?
Wolf was a unique character in Brawl with no reason to be cut.

Top Bottom