• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

canceled Brawled Up - Laurel, MD june

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
canceled, or postponed and moved to cyber arden

Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2
We want this to be big, tell everyone you know, anyone that can make it, please attend, our goal is 60 people that would make $390 for first, $150 for 2nd, and $60 for 3rd place

Place:
Laurel high school
8000 Cherry Lane
Laurel, Md 20707

Date and Times:
June 14, 2008
opens at 9 am
teams begin at 11 am
singles begin at 3 pm

Price:
venue fee -- $8 (it may become $5, i'm seeing what i can do)
singles fee --$10 (all to pot)
doubles fee --$10 per person ($20 per team, all to pot)

Payouts:
65% to first place
25% to second place
10% to 3rd place

Rules:
-- The tournament will be double elimination.
-- Seedings will be random
-- Best 2 out of 3, finals are best 3 out of 5.
-- 3 stock.
-- 8:00 time limit.
-- Ties are broken by lives, then percentage, if these are the same... match restarts with one stock.
-- First stage is random (random is set on neutrals)
-- Loser selects stage or new character, not both, if new character is chosen, stage is selected randomly. (trying evo rule)
-- winner keeps character, smaus/zamus and others with similar property may switch to another form, this must be done before the opponent selects the stage or character. (trying evo rule)
-- Each person may strike one stage for the entire set after the initial characters have been chosen.
-- No stage may be played twice.
-- Double blind character pick may be called at the beginning of every set.
-- Team attack on
-- Life stealing allowed
-- Items off
-- 5 neutrals: battlefield, final destination, lylat cruise, smashville, yoshi's story
--12 Counterpick stages: brinstar, castle siege, delfino plaza, electroplankton, frigate orpheon, jungle japes, luigi's mansion, corneria, pirate ship, pokemon Stadium 1, pokemon stadium 2, rainbow cruise

We currently have 4 wii's and 4 copies of ssbb with everything unlocked. we are hoping to have 10... so anyone willing to help out, it will be greatly appreciated, and you will get free pizza :p post here to let me know if you are willing to aid us with wii's and ssbb copies.

Items are subject to change, such as the time and venue fee... venue fee may become lower, and times may change by an hour... i have to talk to my friend again. If too many people dislike the stage/character select process (trying evo's way) it also will be changed. After may 31st, all rules will be final.

if anyone has any suggestions or questions please voice them :)
If someone gets lost or has an issue, my phone number is 240-216-2053

wii and brawl list:
K-9
forute
Lobos
God-is-my-Rock
TheYoster
Rikuna

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Venue fee at a high school, wtf? Are they seriously demanding payment?

And please please don't use evo rules, we don't want that garbage to become the standard.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
haha, i changed the time from 3 am to 3 pm haha. The fee is for a club, i don't attend the school anymore... so its more my friends tourny, but he said that the principal said that it either has to be for a club, or a donation... otherwise, the building would be $30 an hour. So a fee is being charged, it will probably end up as $5, but its going to either my friends club, or a donation to a charity... i'm not actually positive which lol.

Although its more my friends tourny, i'm more into smash, so i'm pretty much telling him how most are ran, and about the evo rules..... no, there will never be items, items are gay, and the better player doesn't always win with them... but the character selection and stage selection process seem interesting. Its different, and doesn't add any randomness or anything of that nature... and it seemed that items, and the stages were the largest issue with the evo rules, so now its like a evo tourny.... without the gayness haha, but if people really don't like the idea, it will be changed :)

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I guess if Forte's going, me and ADA are coming. *groupies* -_-

I can bring my Wii/Brawl.

Sounds good to me Hobbs. *Informs Forte*

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
This so cool! I get to go to a tourney at my old high school :)

To Forte/K-9::

Laurel is where my bro and I are moving to. We live 5 min. from the school so if you guys want come over the night before the tourney, call me

OffTheChain

Smash Ace
Should of kept it a secret from SmashBoards.

I went to a Melee torny on Thursday at Franklin HighSchool they had in the anime club and told no one, won 154 bucks.

It was Melee since they could not get enough Wii's for a Brawl torny.

Anyway, might come if I'm bored.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
thanks k-9, i guess i'll start wii list... when i have 3 people that will help out
yo calvin, can we use urs too?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
thanks k-9, i guess i'll start wii list... when i have 3 people that will help out
yo calvin, can we use urs too?
If some one can tell me how to get random select then I would love to bring my Wii

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Random Select for the stages is easy- just unlock all the stages.

There are 41 stages, 10 melee stages, and 31 brawl stages. Hanenbow and Spear Pillar are gotten through events, and a lot of the melee stages you will get by playing with a character a certain amount of times (playing Captain Falcon 10 times gets you big blue)

You can look it up if need be.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ill try to come, but just FYI lylat cruise shouldnt be a neutral, there should only be 4.

ur stage select rules look ok, counterpicks in brawl are obscenely unfair on certain levels so i dont mind the idea.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
ill try to come, but just FYI lylat cruise shouldnt be a neutral, there should only be 4.

ur stage select rules look ok, counterpicks in brawl are obscenely unfair on certain levels so i dont mind the idea.
why should lylat not be a neutral? its like a battle field with a lower middle platform, and the tilting doesn't really affect game play from what I have seen. Does anyone else agree with him on this topic?

Rikuna

Smash Rookie
It has been highly debated - I dislike it as neutral too and my friends and I do not play with it on random, but you are the host.

I will most likely bring a wii + Brawl. All my TV's are too big so.... can I use one of yours =D? I don't like pizza, so could I just get venue discount ^^;? I plan to bring a few people from VA, if I can convince them to let me waste my gas to drive up there (only 50 miles away)

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
lylat tilting

i hate that stage personally, the tilting ledge really hurts people trying to come from under the stage to get back. I disagree with it being a neutral. anyone who has an up b that freezes them in place temporarily is hurt by it. (Fox, WOLF, diddy)

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
I will be here. I live in Laurel. I can bring a T.V.

I am the man. Anyways...

For the record, I think the Evo rules involving character and stage counterpicking ARE MORE FAIR. Basically, this method gives the loser either character OR stage advantage. That is COMPLETELY fair. It's all the other ******** things (items anyone?) that Evo is doing that makes their rules dumb.

Keep these counterpick rules. They're better for Brawl.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
added wii and brawl list

-aether
i guess you should bring it to be safe, but we should be fine with t.v.'s

-silent mike
do you have brawl also or just a wii?

chinesahh

Smash Lord
The evo rule regarding the loser choosing only to either change character OR stage, in my opinion, is dumb ****.

We've been running tournaments in melee for 7 years with our rules. No problems have been brought up in brawl either, so why fix something that isn't broken?

ALSO say both players choose to ban a neutral out of the 5, leaving 3 neutrals. If both players win on a separate neutral, leaving one neutral, then the loser (if he decides to change his character) is forced to play on the last neutral? Finals would be even worse (best of 5). The possibility of not even getting to change you character comes up because of Dave's Stupid Rule and stage bans.

Just because EVO runs massive tournaments for many games does not mean they know the best rule set for every game, especially smash.

But it's not my tournament and I will still probably come.

boss8

Smash Hero
originals are coming!!! ugh maybe we can crew battle this time.......yo EE we need to just sit down and play mario dittos for like 10 hours straight......XD....only have like 150$ left.....im a poor black man....if no chozenone i will team with korn or CK..

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
The evo rule regarding the loser choosing only to either change character OR stage, in my opinion, is dumb ****.

We've been running tournaments in melee for 7 years with our rules. No problems have been brought up in brawl either, so why fix something that isn't broken?

ALSO say both players choose to ban a neutral out of the 5, leaving 3 neutrals. If both players win on a separate neutral, leaving one neutral, then the loser (if he decides to change his character) is forced to play on the last neutral? Finals would be even worse (best of 5). The possibility of not even getting to change you character comes up because of Dave's Stupid Rule and stage bans.

Just because EVO runs massive tournaments for many games does not mean they know the best rule set for every game, especially smash.

But it's not my tournament and I will still probably come.
In Melee, counterpick stages were not so ridiculously drastic that it would make 5:5 matchups 7:3 or worse. I don't have any data to support my opinion, but I'll say Corneria (which has been known to be legal) is ridiculous for DeDeDe and G/W (who has a wall infinite, against metaknight.) Luigi's mansion makes it impossible to kill Snake, and also pretty **** hard to kill DeDeDe. There's probably a ton of other counterpick stages that are pretty drastic, too. Also, I don't see why we should allow the loser to get potentially both stage and character advantage. That's encouraging the weaker player to win.

This method gives the loser a 1 point advantage out of the two possible. Advanced Slob Picks probably gives them a 1.5. It usually forces the winner to play in HORRIBLY compromised situations or change to a character they may not play as well to avoid insane stage setup. Advanced Slobs would be better if each player could strike an additional stage after round 1.

I agree that Evo is ********. I kind of hate them right now, but Brawl counterpick stages are ridiculous.

PS, I can't go because I forgot I was having surgery the day before. I know, sucks right?

chinesahh

Smash Lord
In Melee, counterpick stages were not so ridiculously drastic that it would make 5:5 matchups 7:3 or worse. I don't have any data to support my opinion,
...-.-

Aether I'm not trying to be a *******, but you probably don't know **** about melee. Jigglypuff on mute city was ridiculous. Or sheik on jungle japes. It was hard to kill peach on dreamland. Falcon killed mad early on yoshis. Melee had crazy counterpicks too. But just because something is good for one character on a certain stage doesn't mean you should change the rules.

When the loser decides to pick the next stage, the winner can choose his/her character. This means he should be well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of that character on that particular level. I'm obviously not going to pick someone that can be chaingrabbed by ddd on corneria. You are making it sound like the loser has this immaculate advantage.

Also, I don't see why we should allow the loser to get potentially both stage and character advantage. That's encouraging the weaker player to win.
Even if the "weaker" player won the second match, third match the "stronger" player would have these advantages.

I guess next you'll suggest to play all on random so no one has an advantage.

Top Bottom