• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

c-stick tilts

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet
So the other day, I was playing around with the controls on my Wii for Brawl, and I was seeing what kinds of things I could make the C-Stick do, and I saw that you could set it to do normal attacks, which I never really thought of doing. Under this configuration, pressing the C-Stick forward does a Ftilt, up does a Utilt, down does a Dtilt, and backwards does a jab (not that you'd actually use it for a jab...). Does anyone play with these settings?

As an Olimar mainer primarily, I could see this being useful sometimes. It would make it really easy to shoot out a Utilt or an Ftilt, and especially so for me, because I had trouble using tilts in the first place (my left thumb doesn't understand the concept of actually "tilting" the Control Stick-- it just slams it in whatever direction all the time >.<), but no trouble using smash attacks at all without the C-Stick.

But what do you guys think about switching the C-Stick to tilts?

BSP

Smash Legend
Couldn't you call it A sticking? Anyway, I dont use the c stick for tilts, i use it for smashes. I kinda prefer to have it as smashes.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
That's cool, but for DACUS and smashdashing you can't do this. So for falco and sheik and snake this is a no go. Besides, c stick for smashes is better I think. Cool discovery though.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
All I know is Ikes and Ganondorfs benefit massively from a tilt stick, plus they can run off the edge and d-air you without fastfalling.

For other characters, no clue. Experiment?

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, that's right. Well, since I don't DACUS with Oli at all, I find it very complimentary to my game.

That's a shame for Snake tho, because it'd be that much easier to use that devastating Utilt...

EDIT: I dunno, I'll give it a shot right now with a few characters. Certainly beats the crap out of homework. :D

All I know is that for me it makes it easier to use tilts in general. And I didn't even think about Dairing without a fastfall. I'll give that a try too.

BSP

Smash Legend
All I know is Ikes and Ganondorfs benefit massively from a tilt stick, plus they can run off the edge and d-air you without fastfalling.

For other characters, no clue. Experiment?
You know, I never thought about that...maybe I should try this tilt stick( or can it be a sticking?)

Kantō

Smash Champion
hmm thats kool ill have to try it out and see whats its like. id prolly prefer the way i normally play though

NNID
Budget_Player
I use it for snake (never needs his smashes fast), anyone with a utilt that doesn't suck in Brawl+ (I have serious trouble utilting, and seeing as it's crazy good with a few chars like Fox, Mario, or the like...), etc...

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
You can DACUS with this setup just like normal. Well it depends how you're normally doing it but most people I've seen use down on the cstick to dash and up+Z to usmash cancel the dash. Basically this setup would do the same thing, just if you mess up you'd throw a dtilt instead of a dsmash.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Wuth C-stick tilts, can you dash attack immediately after running? If not, it's worse than C-stick to smash attack.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
As a Snake Main it can be really useful.

You can still Dacus.

If you mess up Dacus you will do ->the quicker<- Dtilt instead of DSmash.

You can do the Rapid Contact Jab easier. (Hold Down and press C-Back in the correct rythm).

But you cant Smash C-Stick down to get the fast falled when you being hit upwards on high percents (Well you can still do it with the analog stick xD).

The only thing you will ->maybe<- miss is predicting a roll behind you and quickly FSmashing behind you (With Cstick Smash you cant suddenly trip) and UpSmashing while running (I do them with C-Up).

I already thought about using it, but I'm not a Snake-Only Main, so this would mess up with my other characters, maybe I will make 2 configurations ^^

Luigi player

Smash Master
The only thing you will ->maybe<- miss is predicting a roll behind you and quickly FSmashing behind you (With Cstick Smash you cant suddenly trip)
lol, I doubt anyone would miss that. If I play Snake and do fsmash I always wanted to do ftilt instead (well, 90 % of the time at least).

Fsmash is way too slow to be used for anything (other than for punishing a shield break or something). And so you can just do it with the controlstick + A.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Sounds good, I always have trouble pulling off tilts on my 3rd party controller...

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I'm a C-Stick set on 'attack' user...Well was, until recently. :ohwell:

Having C stick set to attack helps with not fast falling when your doing your down air which is useful with characters like Marth and Link who want to use it of the edge without falling to their doom. I think that was the main reason why I had it set to attack. I actually never used it for the tilt attacks. :embarrass

Only till recently I've started experimenting with Smash DI or Tap DI or whatever it's called :mad:, and I think that setting the C stick to Smash actually helps DI'ing a bit more than having the C-stick set on attack. I'm not 100 percent sure though since I only tested this yesterday for a bit. :urg:

So yeah, from now my C stick will be set to Smash. And to beat that down air fast falling thing, I'll have to lightly press down and press A. I can also do bomb smashing now!!!1 :eek:

But who knows I might go back to having the C stick back on attack since, I usually end up reverting back.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm considering switching my c-stick control to attack. After playing Melee all these years and not being able to use the c-stick to Smash in 1 player mode I've incorporated using smash attacks with over A anyways. I don't do that good of a job using tilts in my game play so this setting should help immensely. (I hope)

'V'

Smash Lord
I actually use this for snake because I instinctively use it for smashes with other characters. I mortar slide with A, so it works out fine.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I tested it (I'm a tilt spammer <3) but it's too glitchy, I don't like it. Diagonals especially, they do whatever but not what I wnt them to. Sometimes nothing, sometime it makes me full hop randomly... So I'll keep my c stick as it is atm.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
If you do this, hold forward, and press a tilt, you will buffer a walk in one frame, and an attack in the next. This is including jabs.

Riickable

Smash Cadet
Did someone say "Cool Discovery", seriously?

I was doing this like a YEAR ago.

It highly benefits Zelda. The easy setups for D-Tilt are great.

altairian

Smash Lord
To the people that are saying "i have trouble utilting", try playing with tap jump off. Tap jump makes it really hard to utilt. But if you're attached to jumping with your control stick then perhaps tilt sticking is better for you.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Utilt has never been hard with tap jump, ever heard of melee ?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
If you do this, hold forward, and press a tilt, you will buffer a walk in one frame, and an attack in the next. This is including jabs.
That's cool.

I still have c set to smashes, since it makes sliding upsmash a lot easier. It also helps you get dsmash out waaay quicker, or at least it helps me out.

Pressing a stick down is easier to me than pressing another stick down AND a button. Of course, this is just preference.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I've never liked this control setup for the strange reason that sometimes it forces a jump instead of doing the move you want. Probably something to do with buffer or IASA frames... I'm not sure which.

altairian

Smash Lord
Utilt has never been hard with tap jump, ever heard of melee ?
Melee doesn't buffer a jump when you hit up on the control stick while performing another move/landing/whatever. ;)

Yes, if you do all your tilts by very slightly moving the control stick then you probably won't notice a difference between melee and brawl, but if you're like me and you do most of your tilts by hitting the control stick in the direction you want to tilt during another move and then hitting A when appropriate, then tap jump on or off makes a BIG difference.

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet
I found utilting (and tilting in general) hard to do, simply because I always mash the control stick in whatever direction I intend to use it in, and then tap A either immediately following the control stick mash or a little bit afterwards to distinguish a tilt from a smash. And the way I figure, it'd be easier to learn "c-tilts" or "a-sticking" or whatever than it would be to completely change the way I use the control stick.

That may seem weird, but it's kinda just how my brian works. :D

And yeah, I figured it wasn't gonna be a new discovery. But I hadn't noticed it until just recently, and I figured other people might not have noticed it either.

I'm still playing around with it a little bit. It does do a dash attack if you're running forward and you hit forward on the c-stick, instead of automatically reverting to an f-tilt. Haven't been using it much for aerials yet tho, I'll have to try that next.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Tilt stick would only be truly amazing if it didn't freaking buffer jumps.

Seriously, what the hell is with the jumps?

I mean, it had so much potential with the momentum-nairs, and then... the jumps.... wtf?

themrskills

Smash Apprentice
I used to play with tilts set to c-stick, and I was able to figure out why you jump. If you slam the c-stick down hard twice, you'll do a jump with the second jump buffered. As a lucas, I could instantly do my second jump as soon as possible. Tilt-sticking really isn't worth it, I b-stick. I've never had trouble tilting instead of smashing (Melee ftw)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
A few posts ago I said that I changed my Cstick to Smash, well I'm reverting back now because I hate doing fast falled down airs since the Cstick would smash down air. I`m still unsure if having the Cstick set to attack does less SDI or not...

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet
I think it will do less SDI, if any at all. However, DI is not my forte at all, so I am definitely not the one to ask. Then again, can't people who B-stick still do SDI with the c-stick?

In short, anyone good at DI know if changing the c-stick's setting affects the DI in any adverse way?

Top Bottom