• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C. Falcon glitch: Punch-dashing

Hipocrisy

Smash Cadet
I posted this in the C. Falcon boards, but they're so absurdly dead lol.
I want to hear your opinions on this, although this is probably old.

··

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=QL2cfGMPY8I

At first, I thought this was caused by a strange interaction between the FP hitbox and the Vanishing wind effect, but then I discovered a bit about this:

It was originally discovered with Mario's cape.
Look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3h9qu_KjRM

This message was posted in GameFAQs by L0L_FAQ.
well, the falcon wavedash is explainable. alright, see here:

the falcon punch has a very strange hit box. the end of the punch is a "phantom" hitbox, referring to a hitbox that is not disjointed, but individual in it's own right, like throwing an arm at your opponent. not attached to you, but harms if hit. when this is turned around, not only is falcon turned around, but also the phantom hitbox. now, what happens is that:

mario = M
Phantom hitbox = d
Captain Falcon = (

if the positioning was originally

Md(
------

then after being reflected, the positioning is

Mb)
------

meaning that the hitbox does not carry over to the other side of falcon, but rather flips and hits falcon himself. however, at this point, the game is plenty confused and thus gives him the damage and trajectory of mario's cape (zero but perfectly horizontal), since thats the attack that smacked the good captain HOWEVER, the effects of the attack remain the same, because the phantom hitbox ALSO hits him, but is not SUPPOSED to, the game puts the knockback there, since the cape itself has NO knockback and SOMETHING has to be there, because that hitbox definitely DIDNT have zero knockback. this is why falcon has his falcon wavedash. now, who can explain THIS phenomenon?
Also, as a side note, the GameFAQs 45.000.000th topic was about this.
This glitch (with Mario's cape) has several names (Punch-dashing, Falcon-wavedash, Wavepunch...)

So I think it's probably the same physics exploit under another circumstances. Notice how Falcon kill himself in the Sheik vid (that could be possible if the FP was aerial, but Falcon was in the ground), but in the Mario's cape vid he slides the entire length of FD while doing the punch. It would be interesting know how this glitch works (we could discover how the Vanishing wind and the FP hitboxes are), and C. Falcon 2vs2 metagame could be improved a bit (c'mon, he's the worst character in the game, every little discovery helps him).

Also, I heard this glitch works also with Jigglypuff's Sing.

EDIT: Replay files on page 3 (default number of posts per page).

Hipocrisy

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the responses, but I didn't discover it. Credit goes to Spudman and Hulk for the Mario vid and to Desu for the Sheik vid. Also, the detailed explanation was courtesy of L0L_FAQ.

Don't thank me, I did almost nothing lol.

However, I'd like to know how those strange hitboxes work. Who knows, we could discover some thingy.

Hmm... can anyone test this with a Warlock Punch instead? It should work, but we should do more testing.

Hipocrisy

Smash Cadet
But moves like Vanishing or Sing don't have the reflect property. Also, in the Pit vid, it says the glitch only works (with Pit's DownB) with a Reverse Falcon Punch, while it works in the Sheik vid with a normal FP.

It would be interesting to know in detail how the Falcon/Warlock Punch hitbox works, and why certain moves cause this glitch.

Oh, and I didn't find the video. I was in the GFAQs Brawl Boards when Desu posted this link. He said it was a replay file of the Punch Dashing glitch. VanekPI uploaded it to Youtube and I saw it. Seriously, I did nothing.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
most epic lulz ever. i gota make that into a little animation sig xDD

can anyone test the warlock punch and if it harms anyone in between like if they where in the middle of FD while this happened on the left and falcon flew going to the right. massive screen wide hitbox lol

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Does it work with like all physics altering moves? like G&W Up-B and stuff like that.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Stop putting "wave" and "cancel" in every AT name.
It's so annoying. Same crap every time.
Be creative.

bobson

Smash Lord
Stop putting "wave" and "cancel" in every AT name.
It's so annoying. Same crap every time.
Be creative.
What, "punch-dashing" is creative? It's unwieldy. You have to pause between "punch" and "dash," whereas "wavepunch" rolls right off the tongue.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
What, "punch-dashing" is creative? It's unwieldy. You have to pause between "punch" and "dash," whereas "wavepunch" rolls right off the tongue.
I didn't say punch-dash wtf?
99.99% of things with "wave" roll right off the tounge, doesn't mean you have to use it.
This is what kinder garden is for.

bobson

Smash Lord
I didn't say punch-dash wtf?
99.99% of things with "wave" roll right off the tounge, doesn't mean you have to use it.
This is what kinder garden is for.
It was the only other suggestion so far.
I think wieldiness (it's a word now, *****es) should be top priority in deciding a name for an AT, second to only actually describing the tech. If it's hard to say, it's a bad name; that's why "wave" is so prevalent in the first place.
I approve of mandashing.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
no. this is not an advanced techinque. i cant stand all these new brawl players trying to find new "adv" techniques, especialy ones that they call _____ dashing. this is nothing more than a useless glitch. you falcon punched a mario. thats it.

what is the usefulness of this? nothing at all. you slide so people must think its adv. but theres no point in it. your in atk stun the entire time, and u dont bring the hitbox with u since its over. if anything its bad cause it moves u near mario so he can possibly attack you while your still in stun.

no one cared about it on the cfalc boards because its useless

Hipocrisy

Smash Cadet
no. this is not an advanced techinque. i cant stand all these new brawl players trying to find new "adv" techniques, especialy ones that they call _____ dashing. this is nothing more than a useless glitch. you falcon punched a mario. thats it.

what is the usefulness of this? nothing at all. you slide so people must think its adv. but theres no point in it. your in atk stun the entire time, and u dont bring the hitbox with u since its over. if anything its bad cause it moves u near mario so he can possibly attack you while your still in stun.

no one cared about it on the cfalc boards because its useless
lolwut? I never claimed this is an AT. In the future, it could be an AT. This, at the moment, IS A GLITCH. Read the ****ing title and stop trolling.

and u dont bring the hitbox with u since its over.
In the Sheik vid, Falcon kills himself, but he does bring the FP hitbox with him. What if we discover a way to do it without killing Falcon? Massive hitbox with massive power. Like I have said, at this moment, this a glitch. But, in the future, it could be an AT.

And people, please stop your "omgggh4x0r" "falconsmanlynesscanwavedash" "lololololololol". I want serious answers. I want to discover more about this. I though this was SmashBoards, not GameFAQs...

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It was the only other suggestion so far.
I think wieldiness (it's a word now, *****es) should be top priority in deciding a name for an AT, second to only actually describing the tech. If it's hard to say, it's a bad name; that's why "wave" is so prevalent in the first place.
I approve of mandashing.
I didn't imply that you should use that one.
I meant come up with new ones (if that wasn't obvious).
Thats really dumb. What the AT actually is or does should be most important. Your naming IT, not just appointing a name to new things you find out.
See now mandashing is the game thing. Don't derive from "wavedashing". It's annoying.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
^^haha same here lol^^

in any case has anyone determined if you can actually hit someone while cf skirts across the level? and if he does hit someone does he keep going (in the example of the sheik video) off the screen still or does he stop?

as for the name i think mandashing is both appropriate and funny. funny i don't have to explain but appropriate well...we are talking about the manliest man to ever be included in smash aren't we? hahaha:laugh:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
But moves like Vanishing or Sing don't have the reflect property.
I don't know how sing could work but Shiek's "vanish" has a wind property behind it if it isn't sweetspotted which pushes characters back a little bit, but in this case it pushed Falcon FAR.

Add one for mandashing.

Hipocrisy

Smash Cadet
I don't know how sing could work but Shiek's "vanish" has a wind property behind it if it isn't sweetspotted which pushes characters back a little bit, but in this case it pushed Falcon FAR.

Add one for mandashing.
I've already said that in my post.

Well, I have some replays, but I need someone to upload them to YouTube.
Replay files:
Megaupload.
Rapidshare.
Sendspace.
Drop.io.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
So it works on pushback effects? Like when you do it to Pit's reflector but a million times more badass.

So if Falcon is turnaround punching and you run up to it as Pit and UpB...... It should be an instant KO?

bobson

Smash Lord
Thats really dumb. What the AT actually is or does should be most important. Your naming IT, not just appointing a name to new things you find out.
Well, duh. I was speaking strictly of the naming aspect, not anything else.

See now mandashing is the game thing. Don't derive from "wavedashing". It's annoying.
What's wrong with mandashing, other than your personal preference? Falcon is unquestionably a man, and when using this technique, he "dashes" across the stage.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
What's wrong with mandashing, other than your personal preference? Falcon is unquestionably a man, and when using this technique, he "dashes" across the stage.
Do you know how many AT's involve a "sliding" aspect to them? Like more then half.

And they man thing is dumb. Its like calling Links quickdraw "Elf arrow" or something. Stupid.

4Serial

Smash Lord
I've had something similar to this where i was Link and facing a Marth player
I used my gale boomerang and it was coming back with the wind effect, and marth was finishing his side+b combo and he just blasted off the side of the stage. It has to do with moves that add to momentum + moves that propel you forward/backwards with a very precise timing.

cool stuff

Top Bottom