• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Burn With Passion!! -- Incineroar General Discussion (Formerly the Support Thread)

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I've supported Incineroar ever since I first saw the support thread for him and read the first argument for him. However, I've never owned an Inciniroar. I played pokemon Moon and my starter was Rowlet. You may be asking why I chose Incineroar over Decidueye to support in Smash... it's simple we already had archers and roguish type characters in smash. As for wrestlers/grapplers we had nobody.

Another point for Incineroar in my book was the personality that seeped from it that could make you easily picture him as a heel even within the game. In comparison I picture Decidueye's personality is akin to already existing fighters being stealthy and quiet.

So, long story short I saw Incineroar as something that could shake things up and bring a fighter unlike anyone else we've ever seen within smash games. Though I was hoping he'd shoot fireballs with pelvic thrusts... *ahem* Why am I saying this now? I find it interesting that former Decidueye supporters have been coming out of the woodwork lately saying after seeing Incineroar in action they see him as the better choice for smash bros. I know its not all of the Decidueye supporters but there are a noticeable amount of them.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, themes matter boys
This was exactly what I've thought on what would appeal to Sakurai.
Glad to see that once again, I correctly predicted the man's train of thought.

....now I just wish I knew what his thoughts were about Piranha Plant, since he still hasn't really gotten into detail there. :p

Pakky

Smash Hero
This was exactly what I've thought on what would appeal to Sakurai.
Glad to see that once again, I correctly predicted the man's train of thought.

....now I just wish I knew what his thoughts were about Piranha Plant, since he still hasn't really gotten into detail there. :p
Ditto but after reading stuff from you and doing my own research our tiger boy always made sense to me.

From concept art, to anime appearances, to just the cultural significance of Tiger Mask and being a Heel persona kind of wrestler.

It just made sense for Smash as it didn't have a dedicated grapple character. And of all the franchises to take one from why not Pokemon?

Alternatives just kinda amounted to things we have already in Smash. Not throwing shade or pulling guys down but what are the other Pokemon candidates to Smash?

Dusk Lycannroc- A quadropad projectile character :ultduckhunt: :ivysaur: that amounts to a Wolf throwing stones. Oh and that has a counter which is original...:ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultbayonetta::ultryu::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultcorrin::ultken:(not even a poke ball by the way)

Decidueye- Basically :ultlink::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: but it traps? Which... okay?

Mimikyu- Probably the only other one I can say that could bring different stuff to smash. Things such as body shape or whatever were always weird arguments to me because one of its main aspects is that it has ghostly hands in can grab items and such. It ability is a shield which my or my not be effective, it has a club it could have had a command grab, just more stuff going and I often paired it with :ultincineroar: as a likely candidate. though I'm over the moon with the winner and I'm glad my little ghost baby got to at least be a pokeball.

Also again its funny how someone tried to make the argument that Lycanroc was gen 7... despite it being the stooge in the one movie that its in while :ultincineroar: is the main rival to:4charizard: in that film.

I feel sorry for the others but I gotta say

Look at everyone else and then look at him...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ditto but after reading stuff from you and doing my own research our tiger boy always made sense to me.

From concept art, to anime appearances, to just the cultural significance of Tiger Mask and being a Heel persona kind of wrestler.

It just made sense for Smash as it didn't have a dedicated grapple character. And of all the franchises to take one from why not Pokemon?

Alternatives just kinda amounted to things we have already in Smash. Not throwing shade or pulling guys down but what are the other Pokemon candidates to Smash?

Dusk Lycannroc- A quadropad projectile character :ultduckhunt: that amounts to a Wolf throwing stones. Oh and that has a counter which is original...:ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultbayonetta::ultryu::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultcorrin::ultken:(not even a poke ball by the way)

Decidueye- Basically :ultlink::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: but it traps? Which... okay?

Mimikyu- Probably the only other one I can say that could bring different stuff to smash. Things such as body shape or whatever were always weird arguments to me because one of its main aspects is that it has ghostly hands in can grab items and such. It ability is a shield which my or my not be effective, it has a club it could have had a command grab, just more stuff going and I often paired it with :ultincineroar: as a likely candidate. though I'm over the moon with the winner and I'm glad my little ghost baby got to at least be a pokeball.

Also again its funny how someone tried to make the argument that Lycanroc was gen 7... despite it being the stooge in the one movie that its in while :ultincineroar: is the main rival to:4charizard: in that film.

And look at the full statement:
Sakurai in Famitsu said:
On Incineroar:

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once! Incineroar is voiced by the late Mr. Unshō Ishizuka – of Professor. Oak fame – who passed away back in August; he had recorded new lines just for this game. May he rest in peace.
Incineroar won out when the competition was at it's peak with the ULTRA S/M release. From concept and design ALONE.

Talk about an underdog victory for us!

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Incineroar won out when the competition was at it's peak with the ULTRA S/M release. From concept and design ALONE.

After all the crap we got about Incineroar being pushed down throats, about how unpopular he really was, about how every other Pokemon would've been better...it really is heartwarming that we made it like this.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Its sad that even after all of this people just don't see it.

I feel bad for them but in part it is kind of they're own fault for projecting ideas where there weren't any.

That's why I think we're in for a surprise come time Ash'es Torracat evolves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Its sad that even after all of this people just don't see it.

I feel bad for them but in part it is kind of they're own fault for projecting ideas where they weren't any.

That's why I think we're in for a surprise come time Ash'es Torracat evolves.
It's even worse when they try to claim Sakurai was biased just because he didn't see things their way.

Yeah, he's "biased" because he didn't share your bias. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakky

Smash Hero
It's even worse when they try to claim Sakurai was biased just because he didn't see things their way.

Yeah, he's "biased" because he didn't share your bias. :rolleyes:
And you try to reason with them but it just doesn't work. But now, I'm over it, he's going to be top five when people get the hang of him and I'm going to main him along side... well **** a lot of heavies and a Woomy :ultinkling:

Last edited:

Mon311

Smash Rookie

Dusk Lycannroc- A quadropad projectile character :ultduckhunt::ivysaur: that amounts to a Wolf throwing stones. Oh and that has a counter which is original...:ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultbayonetta::ultryu::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultcorrin::ultken:(not even a poke ball by the way)

I'm just a little sad Primarina was often not even mentioned when it came to Pokemon candidates for smash. I mean, ultimately I feel Incineroar definitely brings the most in terms of personality and moveset anyway, but I just can't help but feel a little disheartened that one of my favorite starters was not even really considered, though understandable considering the nature of its design. Although with something like Piranha Plant now being thrown into the mix, I have no doubt Sakurai and his team would be able to cook up something for it that would feel natural and creative.

But enough about that. I'm just happy Incineroar came out so nicely and basically shows the full extent of its concept in smash since that's what I like the most about seeing Pokemon in smash and smash in general. So congratz to all the Incineroar supporters, I'll definitely be trying him out as well.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm just a little sad Primarina was often not even mentioned when it came to Pokemon candidates for smash. I mean, ultimately I feel Incineroar definitely brings the most in terms of personality and moveset anyway, but I just can't help but feel a little disheartened that one of my favorite starters was not even really considered, though understandable considering the nature of its design. Although with something like Piranha Plant now being thrown into the mix, I have no doubt Sakurai and his team would be able to cook up something for it that would feel natural and creative.

But enough about that. I'm just happy Incineroar came out so nicely and basically shows the full extent of its concept in smash since that's what I like the most about seeing Pokemon in smash and smash in general. So congratz to all the Incineroar supporters, I'll definitely be trying him out as well.
I didn’t treat Primarina as a serious contender because I'd be hard-pressed to imagine a non-anthropomorphic seal working as a playable character in Smash, and I would presume that a lot of people had the same basic opinion; the lack of support wasn't necessarily due to people not liking Primarina, but thinking that it couldn’t possibly work. By the time Pirahna Plant blew the "questionable moveset potential" detraction out of the water (pun fully intended), Incineroar had already been confirmed as the Gen 7 Pokémon representative.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
More than anything I'm surprised they actually delivered on the grappler front.

Incineroar is the closest thing to a traditional grappler. Atrocious mobility, extremely bad disadvantage, really potent command grab, big normals, solid frame data and most importantly a plethora of ways to make you block. Lariat's a frame 5 move that does about 16-18% damage. Revenge is a frame 3 counter that buffs the next attack. They got fast, safe normals and aerials. All things you wanna block, against a character with a threatening command grab and damaging throws.

Remains to be seen if that translates to viability in Smash, though.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Question, again, other than the furry-bait stuff (i don't care, most Pokemons, if not all, got arts of,,,,stuff ) or it looks too 'goofy'. why is this Pokemon so disliked?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Question, again, other than the furry-bait stuff (i don't care, most Pokemons, if not all, got arts of,,,,stuff ) or it looks too 'goofy'. why is this Pokemon so disliked?
Mainly because it isn't a quadruped.

Yeah.
Just because it's another biped Fire starter.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I know I'm a little late to the thread, but I'm glad this fire-heel kitty got in!

I'm definitely maining, even though it's likely he'll be bottom-tiered!

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Mainly because it isn't a quadruped.

Yeah.
Just because it's another biped Fire starter.
Hot take.. a quadruped fire starter would be hideous. Cuz if the Chinese Zodiac thing is legit (Still kinda is if you can take that foxes are kinda like dogs and or related to dogs) Then every possible animal left already has an existing quadruped or regular equivalent.

Bull- Tauros

Ram- Mareep

Horse- Rapidash Mudsdale

Snake-Arbok

Rabbit- (Okay yeah ya got me, but you don't want a regular rabbit)

Why have a bull or a ram when you can have a fire minotaur or a satyr?

Or hey instead of another horse why not a centaur or a Bojack(lol).

People are too closed minded when it comes to these things.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I keep hearing people saying that the Pokken devs once said in an interview that they want to avoid overlap with Smash, if this is true could someone link to it please(unrelated to this topic I know, but I would like to know if it's true or not since lately I haven't had the time to search deeply for it)?

D

Deleted member

I keep hearing people saying that the Pokken devs once said in an interview that they want to avoid overlap with Smash, if this is true could someone link to it please(unrelated to this topic I know, but I would like to know if it's true or not since lately I haven't had the time to search deeply for it)?
I think this was just common speculation rather than something they said.

Or something about how like Pikachu/Lucario/Charizard/Mewtwo etc. differ heavily from their Smash counterparts for that reason.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
With the mention of Unshou Ishizuka in this new Sakurai column entry, this adds more credence to my belief that Heihachi won't be added to the game, since they are still paying respects to Mr. Ishizuka. I am fine with this, since Incineroar is the closest thing we'll have to Heihachi.

After all the crap we got about Incineroar being pushed down throats, about how unpopular he really was, about how every other Pokemon would've been better...it really is heartwarming that we made it like this.
I basically knew that hatred for a Pokemon that feeds off of it to become stronger would backfire once again. :ultlucario:

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.

I didn’t treat Primarina as a serious contender because I'd be hard-pressed to imagine a non-anthropomorphic seal working as a playable character in Smash, and I would presume that a lot of people had the same basic opinion; the lack of support wasn't necessarily due to people not liking Primarina, but thinking that it couldn’t possibly work. By the time Pirahna Plant blew the "questionable moveset potential" detraction out of the water (pun fully intended), Incineroar had already been confirmed as the Gen 7 Pokémon representative.
Adding to that, the nature, trends and process of adding Pokemon newcomers to Smash means that Primarina missed the boat forever. It's unfortunate, but she's been a victim of circumstances the entire time.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I think this was just common speculation rather than something they said.

Or something about how like Pikachu/Lucario/Charizard/Mewtwo etc. differ heavily from their Smash counterparts for that reason.
I see. Thanks for the help. On actual topic, I have a question that still baffles me, how did Incineroar dethrone Landourus-T as the king of VGC? Is it really all thanks to Intimidate?

D

Deleted member

I see. Thanks for the help. On actual topic, I have a question that still baffles me, how did Incineroar dethrone Landourus-T as the king of VGC? Is it really all thanks to Intimidate?
Intimidate plus STAB Knock Off plus bulk plus great defensive typing.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
And you try to reason with them but it just doesn't work. But now, I'm over it, he's going to be top five when people get the hang of him and I'm going to main him along side... well **** a lot of heavies and a Woomy :ultinkling:

The funny thing is that when you are not outraged or pissed like they are (that's their default emotional state) and try to see it with a cool headed approach, they call you Sakurai fanboy or apologist. It's either you are with us or against us. There is no middle ground. They are victims of the outrage machine.

Top Bottom