• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bubble Man's Jacuzzi (Mega Man Social Thread)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Just finished Mega Man 10 today. Part of my effort to clear out the mountain of games I have thanks to PS+.
So now I've beat Mega Man 9 & 10. Both some of the best platformers I've ever played.
I beat it on Normal Mode with Mega Man too, so I don't feel bad about myself.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I made this for lolz but figured I'd post it here.

View attachment 43822

Anyone else hate this guy?
I remember him being particularly hard when using Zero, but he wasn't the boss I hated the most there. That honor goes to this guy:

Early on, this one gave me quite a bit of trouble, due to not knowing that SPIKES come out of the walls when the room closes in. Of course, having one of the two armors made the battle a non-issue(especially the Gaea Armor). It should be noted that the individual eyes have different weaknesses, something else I didn't know about until later on.

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
Zero makes that fight a joke though

Zero is so overpowered in the PSX games its kinda insane.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Got 17th at KTAR yesterday using MM.

Customs were on, and my second match was against ADHD. Unbeknownst to me Villager has a really cheap planking strategy, so I wasn't prepared for that strategy. If you caught the stream yesterday you would've seen it against Nairo and Tweek.

Lost to ADHD and Raptor (Yoshi).

Shame none of my matches were recorded because I was on fire all day.

Oh, and the only custom I used was Plant Barrier.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Oof. Played straight Mega Man through an online tournament with a bunch of guys from Florida. It was my first tournament in a while and I am so drained. I should not have played so many friendlies.

Highlight of the day though was a very convincing win over Zinoto's villager and a good fight vs his Diddy (was up a stock until the streamer DC'd, so we reset and I got edge guarded hard for game 2 due to me being dumb with my double jump... and then won in a last hit situation)

Also, played really... really... tough games against an Olimar. Mid-way through the first game, we both realized that Olimar can get on stage momentum, but he's really in trouble off stage. Meanwhile, Mega can end Olimar so early and edge guard super well. And Mega keeps Olimar out so he's somewhat forced to camp.

Even though it was online... I feel pretty good about what happened. Lost in loser's semis because I didn't want to play Mega anymore and did a gentleman's blind secondary. DK vs Sonic is... :/ I will probably keep going to these tourneys because my crew likes to participate, but lesson learned. I got seriously burnt out after 4 hours of serious mega man.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
playing megaman is mentally draining sometimes cause you have to make alot of reads but after while it wont bother you as much

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Yeah, I'll take it in stride. It wasn't just the reads, but the constant zoning is taxing.

Zoned a Luigi hard, and then had a zoning battle with an Olimar, which really took it out of me. I don't do tournaments often, so I imagine it's just something I need to balance. Last time I was in a tournament, I was cold after waiting for so long in the loser's without doing friendlies to keep me sharp. This time, I played too many friendlies and burnt out. Eventually I'll find a balance. Still pretty new to tournaments in general.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yeah, I'll take it in stride. It wasn't just the reads, but the constant zoning is taxing.

Zoned a Luigi hard, and then had a zoning battle with an Olimar, which really took it out of me. I don't do tournaments often, so I imagine it's just something I need to balance. Last time I was in a tournament, I was cold after waiting for so long in the loser's without doing friendlies to keep me sharp. This time, I played too many friendlies and burnt out. Eventually I'll find a balance. Still pretty new to tournaments in general.
Those waits are quite brutal. try cycling characters in friendlies to see if that eases up your mind.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
That's a good idea. I got asked to help someone with the mega man MU, so I kind of got suckered into it. But eh. I did learn that Diddy can dthrow>dair near the ledge at like... 30% and it's a 50-50 based on your air dodge. So at least I was productive during the wait.

Rocket52

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rocket52
3DS FC
2664-2303-0107
anyone else capitalize on MMX4 /MMX5 for 90 cents a piece on PSN this weekend?
Most favorable purchase on my PSN list at the moment.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
anyone else capitalize on MMX4 /MMX5 for 90 cents a piece on PSN this weekend?
Most favorable purchase on my PSN list at the moment.
I already have X4 and X5 but I convinced my friend to buy them while they're on sale. So I feel accomplished lol

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
My question is: How long will it take them to get MMX8 on PSN?
I'd like to know this too. If there's any chance we can see it on the X-Box and Wii-U, I'd also be happy. Though there's plenty of other PS2 games that could get this treatment too. Soul Calibur 3 comes to mind.

LZCXR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LZCXRR
Man I just finished that Rockman 4 Minus Infinity hack and I really thought that it was better than the actual Mega Man 4, I really liked the throwbacks to the GB Mega Man games (specially 4 and 5), and seriously the weapon selection is really great most, if not all the weapons feel useful, or at least that's what I thought

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Been wanting to play Megaman Maverick Hunter X lately. I like playing the SNES version on Virtual Console, but watching gameplay of the PSP remake just looks a lot more fun, and I find myself impressed with the updated story and the included anime short The Day of Sigma. Sadly, I do not have a PSP, so I can't. I also really like the soundtrack remixed too, especially for Sting Chameleon and Armored Armadillo.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Been wanting to play Megaman Maverick Hunter X lately. I like playing the SNES version on Virtual Console, but watching gameplay of the PSP remake just looks a lot more fun, and I find myself impressed with the updated story and the included anime short The Day of Sigma. Sadly, I do not have a PSP, so I can't. I also really like the soundtrack remixed too, especially for Sting Chameleon and Armored Armadillo.
Maverick Hunter X is fun. The Light Capsule locations are switched around though, so that might catch you off guard in the event that you do get arund to playing it. I prefer the SNES original personally, but that's because it feels more fast paced than MHX.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would say that the original Mega Man X is the best of the series. But Maverick Hunter X let's you play as both MMX and Vile, so it should be worth checking out for that alone I guess.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I've played both versions, and while I still think the original is the best one, MHX is a fantastic game in its own right. And let me just say that MHX made me like Vile more than I already did. Playing as him was just awesome. The Day of Sigma offers some insight into how things started, but that story kinda conflicts with the original game. I think I read somewhere that because of this, Inafune wanted to redo the other games in the series, but never got that far. I don't know if that's entirely true, though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've played both versions, and while I still think the original is the best one, MHX is a fantastic game in its own right. And let me just say that MHX made me like Vile more than I already did. Playing as him was just awesome. The Day of Sigma offers some insight into how things started, but that story kinda conflicts with the original game. I think I read somewhere that because of this, Inafune wanted to redo the other games in the series, but never got that far. I don't know if that's entirely true, though.
To be more specific, the clash comes in how Sigma got his scar. X4 says he got it from Zero while he was insane,
MHX says he got it from X.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
To be more specific, the clash comes in how Sigma got his scar. X4 says he got it from Zero while he was insane,
MHX says he got it from X.
There's much more to it than that. If you recall, Dr. Cain was still alive even in X3, whereas in the MHX story, his lab was completely obliterated with him still in it. Speaking of, Dr. Cain was nearing the end of his life(he was on life support)in that game alone. In the original arc, he was still active in his support of X(more or less), even going as far as completely rebuilding Zero in X2.

Regarding Sigma, the reasons behind him going Maverick differ between the two games. In the original series, it was Sigma's initial clash with the infected Zero that caused him to go Maverick later on. MHX has a much different story. In the movie, Dr. Cain was explaining to Sigma what made X the most unique out of all reploids of the time, and whether his uniqueness was a blessing or a curse. Apparently, this became an obsession for Sigma, which eventually led to him choosing to become a Maverick. ...Or something like that. He was kind of vague with his decisions, so whatever gaps are missing can be left to the imagination, I guess.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Maverick Hunter X is worth it just for Vile Mode.

Seriously.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I kind of wished they'd follow up on what happened in MHX. At least for the first 3 games in the MMX series. Though X9 would be more ideal than all of that.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
PU! isn't as good of a remake as MHX, as it's mostly give and take IMO.

+ Multiple Characters
- Only Mega/Proto aren't garbage, the latter being OP

+ Old Style Mode
- Reduced/Fixed screen and uses mechanic changes

+ Challenge Mode
- Is hard as **** and you can unlock Proto without it if you have internet.

+ Graphics/Charm/Music/Good VAs
- Heavy Mechanic Changes

Would love to see ports of MHX and PU! on the 3DS. The planned remakes of X2-6 would also be nice, as I'd love to see their stories told in a way that makes sense and to fix the issues X5/6 had. If only they weren't on the PSP and that Inafune left and killed MM Universe.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
PU! isn't as good of a remake as MHX, as it's mostly give and take IMO.

+ Multiple Characters
- Only Mega/Proto aren't garbage, the latter being OP
Except Guts Man single-handedly proves why they had to make Super Arm nearly useless to give the
bosses a fighting chance.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
+ Challenge Mode
- Is hard as **** and you can unlock Proto without it if you have internet.

Would love to see ports of MHX and PU! on the 3DS. The planned remakes of X2-6 would also be nice, as I'd love to see their stories told in a way that makes sense and to fix the issues X5/6 had. If only they weren't on the PSP and that Inafune left and killed MM Universe.
That Challenge Mode is hard as hell even for Mega Man standards. I'm willing to rank 7's Wahwee Machine as easier.

I just want to see Vile playable again. Truth be told, I think he could have been adapted well to UMVC3 as a second Mega Man X rep, but he's a Heroes and Heralds card there. :\

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I was wondering, does anybody else get strangely bothered by players and commentators misnaming Mega Man's moves? I hate to be such a priss about it, but something inside me cringes violently whenever somebody calls Metal Blade "Buzzsaw", Utilt "Shoryuken", or Fsmash "Hadoken". As if Mega Man were a character lacking of such a rich history in his moveset that he borrows from his Street Fighter cousin characters. The only one that doesn't bother me is calling Mega Buster "lemons" because that's something we can all agree on. Furthermore, you can't just call it "jab' since it's also an Ftilt and a Nair. For everything else, I'd really just prefer if people called Mega Upper "Up tilt" and charged shot Fsmash. I don't want commentators to say "wow, excellent Air Shooter pressure!". I'd rather they just call Mega Man's moves by their literal designations. The only thing worse than a Mega Nerd is a misinformed nerd in my book.

LZCXR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LZCXRR
Seriously I feel the only reason MHX and PU! didn't sell well was because they were released in the PSP since, besides having a smaller userbase, you can pirate games in it easily

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I was wondering, does anybody else get strangely bothered by players and commentators misnaming Mega Man's moves? I hate to be such a priss about it, but something inside me cringes violently whenever somebody calls Metal Blade "Buzzsaw", Utilt "Shoryuken", or Fsmash "Hadoken". As if Mega Man were a character lacking of such a rich history in his moveset that he borrows from his Street Fighter cousin characters. The only one that doesn't bother me is calling Mega Buster "lemons" because that's something we can all agree on. Furthermore, you can't just call it "jab' since it's also an Ftilt and a Nair. For everything else, I'd really just prefer if people called Mega Upper "Up tilt" and charged shot Fsmash. I don't want commentators to say "wow, excellent Air Shooter pressure!". I'd rather they just call Mega Man's moves by their literal designations. The only thing worse than a Mega Nerd is a misinformed nerd in my book.
It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I have my own names for them, though I do know what they are. For example, I call his Mega Upper just "Upper" for short, I shorten his Air Shooter to "Air Shot", and I call his Charge Buster "Power Shot"(props to anyone that gets the reference). I don't believe it's so much being misinformed as it is associating his moves with something that one is familiar with. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I just find it funny that MM is the only character who doesn't have to rely on names like N/S/U/D/B Tilt/Smash/Air/Throw to identify stuff.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I just find it funny that MM is the only character who doesn't have to rely on names like N/S/U/D/B Tilt/Smash/Air/Throw to identify stuff.
Because most of his moves are, you know, actual special weapons from the MM games.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Mega Man is indisputably my #2 guy now. I absolutely love his playstyle. The only things I have a problem with are:

1) Hard to kill reliably.
2) Crash Bomb and Leaf Shield are virtually useless.

Metal Blade is more useful than any B move in this entire game. That's a fact. It's every bit as abusable and useful as it was in Mega Man 2 - comparatively better than any other weapon in the game and incredibly viable against most of the game's opponents.

My one problem with Mega Man is that, at high percents, I find it hard to land a solid kill. His Bair can miss the vital hit. Now they know I'm going for it and will defend and punish accordingly. That leaves me with FSmash, DSmash, USmash, BThrow (150% or more), and if I'm lucky, Uair. His Bair is really good if I can land a walk-off stage spike, but beyond that, everyone knows which attacks are coming, and they're very punishable.

The BEST thing I've learned lately is that USmash can be jump-canceled and used out of shield. This means I can use it as a counterattack or even a viable edgeguard.

The other thing is that Side B and Down B are hardly useful for anything. Side B comes out slowly and is not only easy to avoid, but can be used against me. Down B doesn't have much use for damage or defense. It does only 1% if you grab someone, doesn't do much damage, and comes out slowly. Even if you're using it and not throwing Leaf Shield, you can still get hit.

I'm hoping to address these problems in the future because I really want to be an awesome Mega Man.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Mega Man is indisputably my #2 guy now. I absolutely love his playstyle. The only things I have a problem with are:

1) Hard to kill reliably.
2) Crash Bomb and Leaf Shield are virtually useless.

Metal Blade is more useful than any B move in this entire game. That's a fact. It's every bit as abusable and useful as it was in Mega Man 2 - comparatively better than any other weapon in the game and incredibly viable against most of the game's opponents.

My one problem with Mega Man is that, at high percents, I find it hard to land a solid kill. His Bair can miss the vital hit. Now they know I'm going for it and will defend and punish accordingly. That leaves me with FSmash, DSmash, USmash, BThrow (150% or more), and if I'm lucky, Uair. His Bair is really good if I can land a walk-off stage spike, but beyond that, everyone knows which attacks are coming, and they're very punishable.

The BEST thing I've learned lately is that USmash can be jump-canceled and used out of shield. This means I can use it as a counterattack or even a viable edgeguard.

The other thing is that Side B and Down B are hardly useful for anything. Side B comes out slowly and is not only easy to avoid, but can be used against me. Down B doesn't have much use for damage or defense. It does only 1% if you grab someone, doesn't do much damage, and comes out slowly. Even if you're using it and not throwing Leaf Shield, you can still get hit.

I'm hoping to address these problems in the future because I really want to be an awesome Mega Man.
Regarding Leaf Shield and Crash Bomb, you may want to check out these threads.

http://smashboards.com/threads/wood-mans-treehouse-a-leaf-shield-guide.374719
http://smashboards.com/threads/lets-blow-stuff-up-a-guide-to-crash-bomb.377296

Drippy

Smash Ace
I played at my first tournament on Friday (yesterday) and would say I did fairly well with my Megaman considering I only picked him up on Tuesday and even than only got like three or four hours of practice with him tops. I mean I still lost my first round though, I went 1-2 (got 2 stocked as Diddy, made a comeback and 2 stocked with Megaman, third game was extremely close. It was single elimination). I have no one else to blame myself, I easily get frustrated with games where I'm at a point where I feel like I'm not improving at all and absolutely refuse to play for awhile. I only played for like 2 hours on Thursday and most of my other practice was just practicing some tech in training mode.

However I'm very proud I was able to apply my game knowledge from watching Kismet and NinjaLink to my own Megaman play-style within such a small time spam. I honestly feel like my Megaman is pretty solid with such little days of practice and I've practiced a lot of his little techniques in training mode. Of course I don't think I'm an amazing Megaman and I still noticed I need to fix a lot of things, first off is not using random side smashes expecting the enemy to run into it and also try to use my aerials a lot more (especially bair but a lot more nair / uair too). I'm still watching some NinjaLink and starting to watch some Zucco tourney matches to further improve my Megaman.

I'm not picking up Megaman because I did good with him at the tournament, it's just he felt very comfortable to me. My Diddy of three weeks did nada compared to my three day Megaman and I think it more had to do with comfort. Playing Megaman just felt so... natural I would say and I thought Diddy fit my play-style but when I picked up Megaman it just kind of meshed really well with me. I'm especially grateful of watching Kismet because I've adapted a very aggressive play-style of Megaman and I hate playing defensively like most projectile-based characters. So far Megaman is the most fun character I've played out of the cast as of late and I hope to become #1 in my city with him. (and probably a few other characters too, I can't stand only playing one character to be honest)

On the other hand I hope I can get some money soon so I can get a eShop card and relive my childhood experiences of playing the classic Megaman games on the PC through the emulator. Additionally I want to get into the Donkey Kong games as well! First I need to buy a ethernet cable though because I have an LAN adapter but the wrong ethernet cable unfortunately. It's really hard to practice when it lags at night (one brother watching Netflix, mom watching dramas online, and other brother playing League of Legends).

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
There is a tourney near my home, but I can't go yet because I can't dare ask my parents the authorisation with exams coming at the speed of light =.='

If I ever manage to get there, I'll update this post. I shouldn't even have posted, but since it's a Singles tournament WITH CUSTOMS ON, I guess I had to...:facepalm:

Drippy

Smash Ace
There is a tourney near my home, but I can't go yet because I can't dare ask my parents the authorisation with exams coming at the speed of light =.='

If I ever manage to get there, I'll update this post. I shouldn't even have posted, but since it's a Singles tournament WITH CUSTOMS ON, I guess I had to...:facepalm:
Dude you gotta try to go, a tournament is such a good experience to have (even if you lose like me :(). And even though it's a customs tournament it doesn't necessarily mean you have to use it, and it seems like a great opportunity to learn how to adapt to your opponent's play-style on the stop and learning how to play around the custom moves but that's my opinion.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mega-Shaq's Dunk Air is my favorite move. I just wish I was better at K.O'ing with Free-Throws.

Top Bottom