• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bubble Man's Jacuzzi (Mega Man Social Thread)

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Huh, I'm surprised that there hasn't been much activity here since MM11's reveal. Weird.

Anyway....

I've been spending some time on YouTube lately and came across remixes of the many classic Mega Man tunes (including MM9 and 10), specifically remixes that try to emulate the Genesis sound style. Listening to fan remixes isn't something I bothered to do before, but after listening to these all I can say is.... Damn. Whoever they are, they seem to know how to do remixes right.

Here are some notable examples:

I like to think this is how remixed tunes should turn out, utilizing modern sounds while keeping the overall feel of the original music intact. Kinda makes me wonder what Capcom was doing when they were composing the tunes for MHX, very few of the remixes sound like the originals. I only thought one remix in the game was better than its original counterpart, that being Sigma Palace 1.

On a side note, I really don't see what the big deal is about the Wily Castle themes from MM2. They don't really sound all that great to begin with and are quite repetitive, and when you got tunes like the Wily Castle themes from MM9 and 10, they just seem to pale in comparison. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I still like the Wily theme from Mega Man 2. Though I would say the Wily stage 1 theme from Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 10 are probably my favorites.

Even after saying that, there's still the ones from 3,4,5 and 6 that really good too.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I still like the Wily theme from Mega Man 2. Though I would say the Wily stage 1 theme from Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 10 are probably my favorites.

Even after saying that, there's still the ones from 3,4,5 and 6 that really good too.
To me, MM7 is the point when the Wily Castle themes started to get really good. I almost can't be bothered to remember anything before then, they just didn't really stand out that much. But yes, those tracks you mentioned are definitely up there. I'd say my favorites are Wily Tower 2 (MM8), Wily Castle 1 (MM10) and Wily Castle 3 (MM10 again).

I know MM2 is pretty much the fan favorite and all but in terms of music, I think it was greatly outclassed starting with MM3.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
To me, MM7 is the point when the Wily Castle themes started to get really good. I almost can't be bothered to remember anything before then, they just didn't really stand out that much. But yes, those tracks you mentioned are definitely up there. I'd say my favorites are Wily Tower 2 (MM8), Wily Castle 1 (MM10) and Wily Castle 3 (MM10 again).

I know MM2 is pretty much the fan favorite and all but in terms of music, I think it was greatly outclassed starting with MM3.
I can understand that. Though I do feel MM2 deserves it's rep in terms of its soundtrack. Metal Man, Wood Man, Heat Man, Air Man and the Main theme are probably my favorites. The stage select, while a bit behind MM3 is also really good for how short it is.

Personally, I would say OST wise, MM3 > MM2,MM7 > MM9,MM4,MM10 > MM5,MM6,MM8 >>> MM1.

I'm looking forward to what Mega Man 11 has in store for the series. I'm not expecting it to go hard rock like a Mega Man X title, but it would be cool if one or two track go that way.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
MM1/2/3/9 > MM7 > MM4 > MM5/6/8/Bass/10

It's like choosing your favorite child IMO, I honestly can't think of a bad OST so I guess this what I tend to hum/whistle to at work the most.

With MM11 I'm fine with a MM8 style OST, just make it simply, catchy, and upbeat like Tengu's themes. No Sword/Aqua/Wily 1s please. Also have an optional 8-Bit OST like Ducktales Remastered had. IDK a balance between the whimsy of Powered Up, but the speed of Maverick Hunter X.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I can understand that. Though I do feel MM2 deserves it's rep in terms of its soundtrack. Metal Man, Wood Man, Heat Man, Air Man and the Main theme are probably my favorites. The stage select, while a bit behind MM3 is also really good for how short it is.

Personally, I would say OST wise, MM3 > MM2,MM7 > MM9,MM4,MM10 > MM5,MM6,MM8 >>> MM1.

I'm looking forward to what Mega Man 11 has in store for the series. I'm not expecting it to go hard rock like a Mega Man X title, but it would be cool if one or two track go that way.
I would say Metal Man, Quick Man, Flash Man and Crash Man are the MM2 tracks that stand out the most to me. The rest are decent, I guess.

Anyway, my OST ranking would be something like this: MM9, MM3, MM8 > MM10, MM7 >> MM4, MM6 > MM2, MM5 > MM1.

No Sword/Aqua/Wily 1s please.
Hey, I really like those....

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I actually like Sword Man and Aqua Man's stage themes, they are chill, but I feel like that was the name of the game with Mega Man 8's soundtrack. The latter especially. Though Opening Stage and Search Man are my top two for that game. Tenguman is also a good stage track.

But I usually prefer "harder" or more energetic sounding themes in a lot of the games. So something like Turbo Man, Galaxy Man, Shadow Man, Solar Man, Pharaoh Man and so on would be what I'm looking for.

Or the majority of Mega Man X and Mega Man X2's soundtrack.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I actually like Sword Man and Aqua Man's stage themes, they are chill, but I feel like that was the name of the game with Mega Man 8's soundtrack. The latter especially. Though Opening Stage and Search Man are my top two for that game. Tenguman is also a good stage track.

But I usually prefer "harder" or more energetic sounding themes in a lot of the games. So something like Turbo Man, Galaxy Man, Shadow Man, Solar Man, Pharaoh Man and so on would be what I'm looking for.

Or the majority of Mega Man X and Mega Man X2's soundtrack.
It's refreshing to have some, how do I want to put it, "serene" styled tracks every now and then like Aqua Man and Tengu Man (PSX version) amidst the more energetic tunes (like Grenade Man and the Opening Stage) Mega Man is known for. But I see your point. Some of my favorite tracks in Mega Man have that booming sort of impact, that start out strong and stay strong throughout the whole duration (many of MM9's tunes come to mind).

Agreed, Mega Man X has a fantastic soundtrack, one of the best in the entirety of Mega Man. I believe X2 fell a little short, unfortunately. There are some standouts, like Wire Sponge, Bubble Crab and Crystal Snail, but the rest don't quite stack up against the majority of its predecessor's soundtrack.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Don't get me wrong I do like MM8's OST including Sword/Aqua but they are definitely serene and are a deep contrast to the rest of the Classic series (to be honest I listen to 8's OST if I want to take a nap). :p

I think it's logical for 11 to build upon 8, but I also think it should be grounded and stick to kinetic songs to help 11 be as strong a revival as possible and not just catered to the Mega Man fanbase.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Mega Man 9's ost as a whole stands out when compared to the other Classic Mega Man titles mainly for how simple yet extremely catchy each tune sounds and quite a few of them even have that "adrenaline rush" feeling that offers the game so much life.

Flash in the Dark just barely edges out Mega Man 2 Dr. Wily's Stage 1 as my personal favorite among the Classic series while We're the Robots and Tornado Man are somewhere in my top 5 plus Wily Machine and Galaxy Man are contenders for my top 10. That's saying something for a series that's known to have so many iconic tunes.

While Mega Man 2 as a game is overrated compared to the others, I can't help but feel that the game's ost is a little over hated, ESPECIALLY Wily's Stage 1.

Mega Man 5 and Mega Mega Man 6 are both overlooked and while I like what Mega Man 8's ost has to offer with it's jazz+techno like style, it just doesn't sound like what you'd hear in a Mega Man game. Doesn't help either that outside of a few stand outs such as the opening stage, Frost Man, both versions of Tengu Man, and Electric Communication, the majority of them aren't that memorable. Also, is it me or does the Sega Saturn version of Aqua Man's theme sound like it could fit as the credits music for a 90's anime episode? Probably because the game itself has anime cut scenes.

If I had to give a ranking for the music, it'd probably look something like this...(so hard to choose btw)

MM9>>>MM6>>MM3>MM2>MM10>MM5>MM4/MM1/MM7>MM8 (still decent, just not Mega Man-esque)

What I'm hoping for the soundtrack for Mega Man 11 is that it's filled with a lot of music that makes you want to keep listening to in the same way most music from the Mega Man series tends to do. Though I didn't initially like the music that was used in the trailer, it has grown on me since then. Needless to say that I'm extremely excited for upcoming trailers, game developer talks, and eventually, the game itself.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
While Mega Man 2 as a game is overrated compared to the others, I can't help but feel that the game's ost is a little over hated, ESPECIALLY Wily's Stage 1.
Well, I don't hate MM2's OST, far from it actually. Though I don't know if the supposed "hate" is genuine or just a chance to trash talk MM2 because reasons. My thing is, if the majority likes one thing I'll find reasons to like the other thing (not that I'll immediately dislike the first thing mind you). I'm just kinda contrary that way.:p

Also, is it me or does the Sega Saturn version of Aqua Man's theme sound like it could fit as the credits music for a 90's anime episode? Probably because the game itself has anime cut scenes.
It could be because the Saturn version of Aqua Man has a slower pace than that of the PSX version, which is why I prefer the PSX version btw.

to be honest I listen to 8's OST if I want to take a nap
That's interesting. I have some of them set as alarms on my iPod, so when I need to get up to go to work (or whenever I need to get up early)I hear MM8 tunes instead of an aggravating alarm clock buzzer.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
For the moment, MM11 news seems to be hush-hush. So I'm sure some people are worried about that. On the other hand, a bunch of merch is still being made. Though there was a stream showing off the Switch version of Legacy Collection 1 and 2.

There's gonna be a figure for MM11's Roll, and Normal Armor Mega Man X by Nendoroid, since they already made Classic Mega Man, Light Armor MMX, X2 Zero and Mega Man EXE, it isn't too surprising. Though no Protoman yet is weird.

There's also some Ride Armors for Mega Man X and Vile, and on top of that some Roll Casket figure.

AND ON TOP OF THAT...A Mega Man 2 Plug-and-Play. It just sort of came out.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sadly I heard that the Plug n Play was a piece of hot garbage. I would be fun to have on a collector's shelve though.

Am not too worried about MM11 being hush-hush. I don't think we'll hear anything until late next month at the earliest, with E3 being the big info dump. Am guessing a late summer/fall release. The more time they have to work on the game the better.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Sadly I heard that the Plug n Play was a piece of hot garbage. I would be fun to have on a collector's shelve though.

Am not too worried about MM11 being hush-hush. I don't think we'll hear anything until late next month at the earliest, with E3 being the big info dump. Am guessing a late summer/fall release. The more time they have to work on the game the better.
The game was already said to be a "Late 2018" release. I'm guessing it might be a holiday title, or a little bit before then.

I'm not too worried about it being hush-hush either, but I'm sure some people are. I do wonder how much the game will change from what we saw to its final release. Visually, I think it'll need a bit of polish. It's good, especially the backgrounds, the only major tweaks needed is Mega Man himself, since he's a little different than his hand drawn art. Though it is certainly better than Mighty No.9 and shows some confidence to not just do another 8-bit game. Which I'm happy with.

Gameplay wise it looks as good as ever, or as good as any 2.5D game can from a normally 2D series. I like the new weapon they had shown off, And I want to know what that new meter is about exactly.

I'm also REALLY happy about the Slide and Charge Shot coming back. More options for character movement, the better.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just for anyone who hasn't seen it, a new visual for the new Mega Man cartoon.

Mega Man looks slightly different again. Ice Man looks pretty bad though. Kind of dig Fire Man's look here. I guess the female RM is new since she doesn't look like Splash Woman, or Quake Woman and Vesper Woman from the comics.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Eh, still not liking the look they're going for in the cartoon. Something just looks really off about him.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
http://www.rockman-corner.com/2018/05/mega-man-2-mega-man-x-are-getting.html

Pretty sure this was an easy guess after the Street Fighter 30th cartridge was announced. I would have preferred the original Mega Man over 2, but this is super tempting irregardless.

I'm not a fan of the price tag, but CIB copies of both games do sell for around the same as what they're asking. The production run is ~3k larger than SF2 so the odds of getting the glow-in-the-dark carts is lower.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
http://www.rockman-corner.com/2018/05/mega-man-2-mega-man-x-are-getting.html

Pretty sure this was an easy guess after the Street Fighter 30th cartridge was announced. I would have preferred the original Mega Man over 2, but this is super tempting irregardless.

I'm not a fan of the price tag, but CIB copies of both games do sell for around the same as what they're asking. The production run is ~3k larger than SF2 so the odds of getting the glow-in-the-dark carts is lower.
Those are actually pretty clean looking. Damn, if I had an actual NES or SNES, I'd really consider it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2018/5/26/mega-man-11s-release-date-leaked

Looks like we might be seeing an October release. What's more interesting, however, is the mentioning of the "Double Gear" system. It sounds like we'll be able to activate a turbo mode when using it, rather than a flashy finishing attack.

Hopefully we'll get more info soon as this could add more to gameplay than previously thought. Also based on the time length, that could allow for ~2 Robot Master/stage reveals per month.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, the Double Gear system sounds pretty cool. Nothing too game breaking either I hope. Since the last two Mega Man games intentionally went back to older mechanics, bringing back all of the stuff from MM4 onwards and adding in some new stuff is a pretty good idea.

Can't wait to see the other Robot Masters, or more importantly, how Mega Man will look when copying their powers.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Quick Thoughts:

The reactions to the game demo seem positive thankfully.
Pellets can move through walls unlike in Powered Up.
Mega Man's in-game model looks a bit stiff...IDK will have to break out Smash to compare.
Double Gear system does look interesting. Power Gear is very Mega Man X.
Speed Gear looks a bit iffy as it looks more like a slow motion mode. I don't see Speed Runners bothering with it.
While the Voice Acting is decent, please keep Smash 5 Mega Man mute. Pretty sure that's Dr. Light's VA from MvCI, cool beans.
$30 is a good price point. I might actually get it for multiple systems at that. $60 for the Amiibo edition is pushing it however.
It took 30+ years but the West finally got good cover art for a Classic Mega Man game.
$5 says the "exclusive OST DLC" is 8-bit styled. If so, cross one item off my wishlist.

Also have an optional 8-Bit OST like Ducktales Remastered had.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Wait, it's only 30 bucks?! **** that's a steal. I was expecting to at LEAST pay 40 dollars if I was lucky. Though I'd say the cover art for MM5, MM6 and MM7 are pretty good by US Mega Man cover standards.

o.o

Smash Rookie
Getting hyped up over ultimate!

Fell out of smash for a year or do now but ready to get back in. Planning to main mega man. Looks like this forum is mostly inactive. Looking for discussion on changes with megaman, match up discussions etc for ultimate, if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Anyone streaming megaman gameplay these days?

Just been looking at the very limited gameplay videos on youtube for ultimate but he looks very similar at first glance.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Getting hyped up over ultimate!

Fell out of smash for a year or do now but ready to get back in. Planning to main mega man. Looks like this forum is mostly inactive. Looking for discussion on changes with megaman, match up discussions etc for ultimate, if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Anyone streaming megaman gameplay these days?

Just been looking at the very limited gameplay videos on youtube for ultimate but he looks very similar at first glance.

A bit late but if you've got Discord, we've got a group dedicated to Mega. A few of the folks previously here usually come there now. Even got a whole channel with his found Ultimate changes so far, if that's what you're looking for

Reactions: o.o
Top Bottom