• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bubble Man's Jacuzzi (Mega Man Social Thread)

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
In my opinion Concrete Shot's a very underrated weapon from 9. I nearly never hear anyone talk about it. Creating blocks to stand on is just awesome.
I think the Chill Spike is better, though. Freezing those trucks in Nitro Man's stage is just so satisfying.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
No matter what, Black Hole Bomb won the compettion for me. Swallow everything in darkness and kill the Twin Devil/Dragon miniboss/Fabulous Jewel Man/ Whatever enemies & projectile you want. Plus, it is the 1st part of Mega Man's final Smash. How awesome is that !

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
No matter what, Black Hole Bomb won the compettion for me. Swallow everything in darkness and kill the Twin Devil/Dragon miniboss/Fabulous Jewel Man/ Whatever enemies & projectile you want. Plus, it is the 1st part of Mega Man's final Smash. How awesome is that !
It might just be the Metal Blade of MM9, without the plus of absolutely destroying every boss in the game ever. :p

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
In my opinion Concrete Shot's a very underrated weapon from 9. I nearly never hear anyone talk about it. Creating blocks to stand on is just awesome.
I agree, and it's very useful for getting through stages because it instantly "kills" everything if you hit it right.
I watched a speedrun of MM9 where he did that a lot.

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
I haven't read much of this thread, but I think this would be a good place to post this. I think it would be cool if there was an HD Mega Man game on the Wii U, that uses the Smash Bros. Style (or most likely something like it) as it's visuals! I know that pixels are cool, but an HD Mega Man game that works the same as the 8-bit ones would be epic!

LZCXR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LZCXRR
Is it me or is the Wily Wars version of the original Mega Man actually easier? (barring the remove of the slippery controls and actual invencibility frames against spikes)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
On a slightly related note, Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 is in development, if anyone is interested in that.
That's good to hear. Hopefully this one will be on a grander scale than the first.

Is it me or is the Wily Wars version of the original Mega Man actually easier? (barring the remove of the slippery controls and actual invencibility frames against spikes)
Honestly Wily Wars is on par with the originals IMO (and yes I own an original copy for my Genesis). For every problem or thing that's fixed or made easier there's some new issue or difficulty spike where there wasn't before.

Personally I found MM1 on the Wily Wars a lot harder, though that's mostly because it's harder to get the Guts Platforms down and the Wily 1 Magnet Beam section now needing to be pixel perfect. Boss hitstun also makes the boss rush a tad harder. Though no frames flashing/lag makes it a heck of a lot easier to fight Bomb/Fire/YDevil/Wily Machine.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
True Mega Man fans, how many of you hear Mega Man's jump noise and can identify it?

Not when he lands and you hear the beeps from the 8-bit games. When he's ascending, that sound effect comes from Mega Man 7.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So guys, is there any Mega Man weapon you wished made it as a custom special attack? Just wondering. I thought Junk Shield would make for a decent choice, since it fires off in multiple directions. Though that might not be the best for one on one fights.

LZCXR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LZCXRR
So guys, is there any Mega Man weapon you wished made it as a custom special attack? Just wondering. I thought Junk Shield would make for a decent choice, since it fires off in multiple directions. Though that might not be the best for one on one fights.
Mmm I don't know, it would have been interesting if the hornet chaser was available as a crashbomb alt, I mean mega man with a homing projectile a la Samus' missile? interesting
Or hear me out
Thunder Wool as a trap (maybe making it slightly transparent IDK), it goes up and just stands there until something triggers it (either motion or manual trigger, like snake's C4), and they have to either block or roll which can give you and advantage, or using it as an edgeguarding tool similar to tornado hold

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

That or this:

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
The three shields should have been:
Water Shield (Normal)
Jewel Satelite (Reflector)
Junk Shield (Strong variant)

It's annoying to me that they chose the three shield in Mega Man that are WORTHLESS rather than the three that are actually useful.

Otherwise I'd love to see:
Laser Trident (Side B)
Knight Crush (Side B)
Silver Tomahawk (Side B)
Tornado Blow (Up B)
Power Stone (Down B or Neutral B) ((if only because this power was totally useless but could be good in smash)
Wheel Cutter (Neutral B)
Pharaoh Shot (Neutral B)
Ring Boomerang (Netural B)

Also the Thunder Claw from 8 totally should have been a Z-Air for Mega Man. There are just so many moves that could easily have been customs but were shafted because of the arbitrary 3 variants limit.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
The three shields should have been:
Water Shield (Normal)
Jewel Satelite (Reflector)
Junk Shield (Strong variant)

It's annoying to me that they chose the three shield in Mega Man that are WORTHLESS rather than the three that are actually useful.
You have good taste in shields. I'm still bothered a bit by the fact that Skull Barrier reflects projectiles. Since when did it EVER do that? Jewel Satellite would made so much more sense since it, you know, ACTUALLY reflects stuff. I can understand the Leaf Shield, because it was in the most fondly remembered classic Mega Man game. But I do agree with you, after Jewel Satellite, Water Shield would've been the next best thing. Junk Shield practically allowed Mega Man to plow through any target in his path, which is almost OP.
Otherwise I'd love to see:
Laser Trident (Side B) I've said it once before, but I'll say it again: L. Trident is my all-time favorite special weapon in all of classic Mega Man.
Knight Crush (Side B) A heavy boomerang-type attack? Interesting. Though it does have the ability to be fired in multiple directions, apparently, and could be relegated to Neutral B. You know what might've been a good Side B? Dust Crusher. A cluster of junk that scatters when it hits something.
Silver Tomahawk (Side B) OP:troll:
Tornado Blow (Up B) I once thought of this. Though I don't care much for the move in MM9, I thought of how it might be useful in Smash.
Power Stone (Down B or Neutral B) ((if only because this power was totally useless but could be good in smash) I didn't like this special weapon. At all. It couldn't hit anything. At any rate, Water Shield would've made this one obsolete.
Wheel Cutter (Neutral B) My favorite special weapon of MM10. Would've been hilarious to see :4megaman: riding up walls with this thing.
Pharaoh Shot (Neutral B) It's alright, but I prefer Magma Bazooka myself. Both can be charged and shot at angles.
Ring Boomerang (Netural B) Not my style, really. Besides, Shadow Blade makes this redundant.
Also the Thunder Claw from 8 totally should have been a Z-Air for Mega Man. There are just so many moves that could easily have been customs but were shafted because of the arbitrary 3 variants limit.
Or it could've just been his grab to begin with. See, the problem I have with a lot of the special weapons we have already(don't get me wrong, I like most of them)is this: What criteria did Sakurai and his team use to determine what special weapons to give to :4megaman:? What was stopping them from using more special weapons from the later games in the series? I think the special weapons from 8 - 10 were among the best in the series, but Sakurai used a lot of the earlier weapons for his specials.

If DLC becomes more prominent in Smash after :mewtwomelee: shows up, more custom moves could be an option. I mean, there WAS supposed to be a 4th set specials in the game but the team didn't make it that far. With DLC, we might see the content that was supposed to be in the game but wasn't.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I think it's more likely Capcom had a lot of creative control over Mega Man and told Sakurai/Nintendo that Mega Man needed to be focused more on the early game in terms of power representation, probably specifically telling them to work in a lot of Mega Man 2's weapons. I couldn't see Sakurai simply opting for this overabundance of Mega Man 2 representation while leaving 5-10 with collectively very little.

Heck, I bet the reason why Elec Man was the AT rather than ANY IMPORTANT ROBOT MASTER is because it was probably a custom Side B for Mega Man at some point in development and was either too hard to balance or they decided not to use it, but didn't want to scrap it totally and Elec Man's easy to model.

Honesltly there are a lot of other power's I'd have liked to see. For instance if I had designed his throws his Down Throw would have been tossing the enemy onto the ground and then firing the concrete shot to crush them. It just seems like such a natural usage of a power he's had. Also, yeah the Magma Bazooka would also be a stellar choice but I can't help but feel it'd be particularly dificult to balance without being OP or worthless.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would have liked the Magma Bazooka too. That's one of my favorite weapons. But it be seen as too powerful. Who knows, maybe the next game can expand on the custom specials. Mega Man and Kirby can easily benefit from it the most.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Didn't know where I should ask this, but I'm thinking about getting the Mega Man Anniversary Collection. My question is for what console should I get it on? My options are the Xbox and Gamecube. (unless I borrow my friend's PS2)
Some buyers claim you get the most content with the Xbox version

Zensay

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zensay
I think it's more likely Capcom had a lot of creative control over Mega Man and told Sakurai/Nintendo that Mega Man needed to be focused more on the early game in terms of power representation, probably specifically telling them to work in a lot of Mega Man 2's weapons. I couldn't see Sakurai simply opting for this overabundance of Mega Man 2 representation while leaving 5-10 with collectively very little.

Your probably right. The earlier games most likely have the largest fan base. If they put in someone like Clown Man or Sheep Man, a lot of people who haven't played in a long time, never got that far, or who are new to the series might be confused and put off. Capcom wants to please it's current fans but are in the business to make new ones too.

But a lot of it probably has to do with move overlap with other characters in the game. I was surprised that Cut Man didn't make the cut. Not that I really like him that much, but because of the cartoon he's one of my most memorable characters. But his weapon would have most likely been a boomerang of some sort, and the two Links already have that niche. Plus they made shadow blade which is already kinda similar to the rangs with out stepping on their toes too much. Same with Quick Man. Another boomerang.

Incorporating some weapons into his throws would have been an easy and pretty awesome fix to sneaking in a few more references, but some might consider that taking away from Guts Man's super arm. Probably would have made for some long animations too. I would have liked to seen Pharaoh Man in smash but I don't know how they would have included him while making his weapon unique.

LZCXR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LZCXRR
Didn't know where I should ask this, but I'm thinking about getting the Mega Man Anniversary Collection. My question is for what console should I get it on? My options are the Xbox and Gamecube. (unless I borrow my friend's PS2)
Get the xbox version the gamecube port has input problems (as in not detecting diagonals reliably) and the ps2 version has input lag
Or let me quote the tvtropes article on porting disaster
Mega Man Anniversary Collection - While not a terrible port, the GCN version takes some getting used to, since the "shoot" and "jump" buttons were switched from the NES originals and there's no way to reassign the button configurations.
The Control Stick can't register diagonal movements or only does so when it's exactly on those diagonals. Infuriating when you're trying to leap out and grab a ladder above a spike pit...and it made the shoot-em-up segment of Wily's fortress in MM8 seem impossible until one discovers that the D-Pad works much better at the cost of being slightly awkward to reach, inverted if you use the Hori Game Boy Player controller and if you are willing to spend a bit of money on it if you don't have one.
Another thing that's a bit off about the Gamecube version is that the soundtrack doesn't loop properly. To give an example: if you wait long enough, the music will eventually fade out completely, then start again as if you just started the stage. Strange when even the NES versions of the games looped seamlessly.
The PS2 may have the controls right, but it suffers from something far, far worse than the GCN version: There's a very slight delay between input and execution. In a 3D game that has a slower pace, this might not be much of a problem. In a Mega Man game, however..."

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Seems like the X-Box version is the best of the three. So it's best to go with that. Though the Gamecube version isn't terrible or anything. I think the X-Box version let's you do versus mode on those Mega Man Power Battle games.

The Classic series collection will be a hell of a lot cheaper than the Mega Man X collection, that cost me 60 something dollars on the Gamecube. The Classic one is about 20 to 30 something from what I saw. It's worth it, sure, but since I didn't have the cheaper PS2 version to play, I was didn't have much of an alternative, luckily I had some cash laying around.

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I'm just afraid it wouldn't work on my 360 as the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2x doesn't seem to work even though it's a supported backwards compatible game and I have a hardrive. At least I know someone with an orginal Xbox if this game gives me problems.

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
If I had to choose I would probably pick. Jewel Satellite, Thunder Beam (Elec Man is my favorite Robot Master <3), and I think Napalm Bomb could be an interesting Side B Custom.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wasn't there going to be 4 Custom Moves in development?

IMO:
Neutral - Rebound Striker (increased item game but less hitstun/damage initially)
Up - Item 2 (like Loid Rocket but you retain your jump)
Side - Concrete Shot (low range and above average start up, but large hitstun/damage and object on stage)
Down - Star Crash (More for throwing than defense)

Maybe Magic Card or Remote Mine for Side?

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice

IMO:
Neutral - Rebound Striker (increased item game but less hitstun/damage initially)
Side - Concrete Shot (low range and above average start up, but large hitstun/damage and object on stage)

Item 2 would make an interesting recovery. A faster Loid rocket with the jump would be pretty cool.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

IMO:

Item two seems pretty cool as a recovery option. Might work for specific match-ups. Say, one opponent is really good at horizontal K.O.s, so you'd want a Horizontal recovery to balance that out. And the same goes for a vertical one.

I can see it doing some slight damage too, on impact anyway, but it can't be aimed, just like the original games. Would Rush Jet make sense too? Since it'd be similar, but you'd still use Rush's model as opposed to making a new one.

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
Item two seems pretty cool as a recovery option. Might work for specific match-ups. Say, one opponent is really good at horizontal K.O.s, so you'd want a Horizontal recovery to balance that out. And the same goes for a vertical one.

I can see it doing some slight damage too, on impact anyway, but it can't be aimed, just like the original games. Would Rush Jet make sense too? Since it'd be similar, but you'd still use Rush's model as opposed to making a new one.
I think they would just make it Rush Jet for the model. It would be easier to do than make a new model. Like you said I can see it actually doing some damage. Maybe it could have around the same range as the Loid Rocket but do low damage or something.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
What I would've loved to see as a 4th custom set:

Neutral: Ballade Cracker
Side: Flash Bomb scratch that, Laser Trident, though Flash Bomb is awesome
Up: Rush Jet Adapter
Down: Jewel Satellite

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Flash Bomb.

Grenade Man was so funny.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I guess the Bubble Shield could have been a cool option too. Say, it does less damage, but it does more muti-hits or something.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
After Jewel Satellite, I think Water Shield is the next best shield-type special weapon.
Shield rankings:

1st: Jewel Satellite
2nd: Water Shield
3rd: Junk Satellite
4th: Leaf Shield
5th: Plant Barrier and Star Crash
6th: Skull Barrier

Plant Barrier and Star are higher than Skull because their Robot Masters can throw them, and Skull Man can't.
In Megaman's hands they're basically all identical.

Honourable mention goes to MMX6's Yanmar Option, which likely would have been between 2 and 3.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Finally beat Battle Network 6, so I'm finally done with the Battle Network series bar Battle Chip Challenge though including Network Transmission. It's funny but after playing them all I can't really rank them beyond BN5 DS being my favorite and that Network Transmission is underrated. They're all just so similar. :laugh:

Still, I definitely get the feeling that the series would benefit the most from a hardware upgrade. Larger/more areas (beyond 4-5 key areas), CD quality music, online battles, etc. Would especially love to see redesigns of the MM9/10 and unused RMs (Ex. Crash, Gemini). Though I would hope they don't limit it to versions again and put those extra elements and development resources to better use.

Honestly I could easily see Capcom create an MMO (sorry Rockman Online) out of the series. Creating your own Navi and customizing it with various skills, attacks, elements (I think there's around 11 now), would be pretty awesome.

IMO:
What Would Actually Sell: X9 (MM11)
What MM Fans Want: Legends 3
What Would Benefit From an Upgrade: BN7
Story Deserves Finishing: ZX3

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Finally beat Battle Network 6, so I'm finally done with the Battle Network series bar Battle Chip Challenge though including Network Transmission. It's funny but after playing them all I can't really rank them beyond BN5 DS being my favorite and that Network Transmission is underrated. They're all just so similar. :laugh:

Still, I definitely get the feeling that the series would benefit the most from a hardware upgrade. Larger/more areas (beyond 4-5 key areas), CD quality music, online battles, etc. Would especially love to see redesigns of the MM9/10 and unused RMs (Ex. Crash, Gemini). Though I would hope they don't limit it to versions again and put those extra elements and development resources to better use.

Honestly I could easily see Capcom create an MMO (sorry Rockman Online) out of the series. Creating your own Navi and customizing it with various skills, attacks, elements (I think there's around 11 now), would be pretty awesome.

IMO:
What Would Actually Sell: X9 (MM11)
What MM Fans Want: Legends 3
What Would Benefit From an Upgrade: BN7
Story Deserves Finishing: ZX3
That'd be cool. Though I wish that Battle Network would get a collection on the 3DS. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it before, but I really think it should happen one of these days. It's the only Mega Man series remaining that could really benefit from it. Though Classic Mega Man could could potentially get an updated collection one of these days.

Top Bottom