• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawlers hate us-What can we do?-READ FIRST POST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I was about to rip the OP a new one for naming this thread with such a biased and f**king STUPID name... until I read Spin-Dash's post. At least something good came from such a worthless premise of a thread.
Edit: Yea i'm sorry for what was posted here before, I shouldn't be antagonizing this problem any further intentionally

NOTE: I say brawler cause I've heard many brawl players refer to themselves as such, I mean no insult as a few have taken it.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
A lot of stuff about "communities"

Uhh...sorry to say, but the only real smash community that ever existed only existed because of Melee. So grouping every person who plays either Smash 64, Melee or Brawl together and pretending everyone to be one community, then going on to say we're all, as one community, being idiots about arguing over the different games doesn't actually apply to anything, because each community is entirely different from eachother. (ESPECIALLY the Brawl and Melee community)

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I think anybody smart enough can't deny that a lot of Brawl players hold a LOT of hostility towards the Melee crowd.

A lot of them, however, are naive to the legacy that Melee left behind. I wish for the games to co-exist, but I can understand why it's hard for some to forget about Melee. I'm lucky; I only entered the competitive scene in late 2007 and I understand what the others who have been playing this game for seven years are talking about.

On both sides of the fence, if the world was more abundant in Pro Melee and Pro Brawl players who could just keep matters to debates without, as said in my rant before, a game's nuts being ripped off, then the community would be a much better place.

[EDIT]

@ Ka-Master

But that's the thing. Melee did breath life into the series that we all know and love, but there are no seperate communities. Just different sides of the whole country. We are one. And we're all trapped in a civil war. If we were all seperate, then Melee would be the only matter discussed here while 64 and Brawl were neglected to different parts of the world or other sites where we gather to debate and hang out. We're all to blame here.

otg

Smash Master
The second that Pro Melee enthusiasts stop ripping off Brawl's nutsack, the ones on the other side of the fence will do the same. Though a lot of Pro Brawl players (such as myself) acknowledge any form of flaws in the games, whether it be 64, Melee, or Brawl alike. I personally have more fun with Brawl.

The debates and war's never going to die. And it ****ing sickens me. I'm slowly beginning to hate what the community has become. And if some smartass tells me that I should just leave then, it's not that simple. I love Smash Bros., and I love playing all three games in a competitive light. And I love the friends that I've made here.

I guess asking for the two games to co-exist is a dream a shy inch short of becoming a reality. One of three things will happen. Both games will miraculously triumph and people will learn to stop walking around with sticks up their ***** while looking down upon others. One of them will emerge victoriious and pave the way for competitive Smash Bros. while the other falls into obscurity and those who liked the game are cast into the dark. Or the worst of the three is that we are only going to destroy ourselves and we only have ourselves to blame. I'm sorry, argue it all you want but we are killing this community, not the games themself.

For christ sakes, nobody is safe anymore. Whether you play Melee, Brawl, or BOTH, somebody is out to get you for "chasing the inevitable demise" It's bull**** like this that I don't even want to try and argue for Melee OR Brawl. And yet I'm still being dragged in, somehow, one way or another, by just reading all of this hostility. This isn't the community that I've come to know and love. This is just a monster. And everybody is to blame.

And another thing. The fact that some people continue to wave their Melee or Brawl ***** around wrecklessly (and by that I mean the ones who try to assert their authority in a place where we should be WELCOMING opinions and people into the community, not turning them away just because some people happen to like Brawl more, even competitively). There's nothing wrong with some debate and discussions, I'm all for that! It's the concept of freedom of speech that we all embrace and hold dear. And I wouldn't want it any other way. But I just wish we could find a way to silence those who throw around their "freedom" of belittling. News flash. You're not hot ****. Shut the hell up and stick to debating, not flaming.

**** Melee being better. **** Brawl being put under the knife time after time after time again for being "inferior". I just want to play Super Smash Bros., regardless of what game.

I hate what we've become.
I believe most of the Pro-melees anger comes from the fact that most people acknowledge Brawl as an inferior game, yet continue to play it in hopes that their will at some point be a competitive scene. Of course the only way to develop the Brawl scene is through playing it, but why give up on Melee completely? It seems like the "Competitive Brawl" scene is being forced because of Melee's aftershock.

This thread is to try and decipher what we can do to SAVE the Melee community, and if you come into the MELEE forum and start popping off about Brawl and how "I like Brawl better than Melee" what kind of answers are you going to expect? This site is meant to be a COMPETITIVE database for a COMPETITIVE series, and as of right now, Brawl doesn't have that. As Scar said, there is a difference between true Competitiveness, and "competition". I'm competitive with my friends in Mario Tennis for GC, but you don't see major tournaments for that do you?

I agree that flame-wars need to end, fighting isn't going to solve anything and of course you are entitled to whatever opinion you want. What we really need to think about is potentially dividing the forum, because it seems like the two will never co-exist.

In the meantime (something productive), let's save Melee by organizing tournaments, and in time the scene will hopefully reach some happy medium. My last thought is that all those who "quit melee" are limiting themselves, there is infinite room for improvement in that game, and as of now, Brawl seems like it will remain as a boring, snake filled camp fest.

Prove me wrong Brawl boards.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
@ otg

I'd like to establish now that I acknowledge Melee as the superior competitive game. And I may be a fool for pursuing Brawl, but I do have hopes. I'm an optimist and someone may come along and say that won't help but I could care less. If I have more fun playing a certain game and making it out to be competitive and epic, so be it. THAT is what I'm going to do. But to avoid any confusion, I haven't stopped playing Melee. And as long as tournaments exist for that game, I'll never STOP playing Melee. (not to boast but I've developed a rather sick Link in my area. :p)

No one is forcing me to play Brawl. I'm making this choice for myself. Like a lot of Brawl players who can acknowledge Melee's legacy are doing. They play Brawl because if they can't find a way, nobody will. If I don't find a way, nobody else will because they're stuck in the past, afraid to keep on trying where others failed and gave up. This isn't a jab at anybody who plays Melee in any way.

In my opinion, I think any Melee enthusiast who gets angry at somebody playing Brawl and working to make it better despite acknowledging Melee's current superiority, is ridiculous. That's like saying, "STOP TRYING!!!" or "Why are you even trying?" For some, they have fun. Me, I can say that I have fun. But I'd also like to ask every single Melee player one question.

It's simple. Think about this one for a while, everyone.

Why not?

KurageWolf

Smash Rookie
Melee is awesome if you have someone to play with. For me it got so bad I had to make up my own storyline. And it sucked. I prefer Brawl to Melee anyday.

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
Oh man...i want there to be peace! not just Brawl and Melee! we must be equal my friends! Look at your game cases, and what do you see? if you're like me, you see Melee AND Brawl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
They're coming here now? ALL HOPE IS LOST!
No, no it's not. He's just expressing his opinion which he's fully allowed to do. Note how he talks about why he prefers Brawl to Melee based on personal experience instead of stating his opinion as if he were fact. For example, let's look a commonly used retort: Brawl is boring. This is stating an opinion as if it's a fact when it's clearly a subjective issue. This is one of the problems that should be dealt with if serious Melee and Brawl players are to coexist.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I anything but hate Melee. I always thought it great fun, always will, just like any Smash game. What I don't exactly care for, and am uninformed about, is the idea that Brawl can't ever become anywhere close to the same level of competitive. I can tell people are trying hard to find more depth in Brawl, and apparently are not doing so hot, but it is (hurr) a different game, and the ways people found depth in Melee (hurr) probably aren't going to work. If nobody thinks outside the tv screen for more than a few months, even with a base quite a lot larger than Melee had back when, of course it's not going to get anywhere. And even if we don't find holy ground below Brawl's basement, does it really matter that much? Can we really not have a good scene if people just train their reflexes, learn what their characters can and can't do, and use that knowledge to the best of their ability to compete? What am I missing that fuels the acid in some of these responses about Brawl having nothing to offer?

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
All we want to do is make melee big again on a competive level.
I think I know another reason why some people are afraid of Melee becoming big again.

People are afraid that by bringing Melee back into the spotlight again like it once was, that we'd be sacrificing Brawl. I'm sure that Melee enthusiasts wouldn't have a problem with that, but I'm sure a lot of people who play for both teams wouldn't be fine with that either.

That's where people are hesitant to move forward.

BlueBlood

Smash Rookie
The arguments seem like they are started by the immature people on BOTH sides who cant keep from posting things they know will get the others heated. Posting things such as THINGS THAT ARE MORE TECHNICAL THAN BRAWL for instance is an idiotic move on the melee players part as an example while brawl players seem to think their game is superior. Dont get me wrong i think melee is the better game and requires more skill but i wouldnt post something that would intentionally get on brawlers bad sides. Self control doesnt seem that big around here lately IMO

Zodiac

Smash Master
Oh man...i want there to be peace! not just Brawl and Melee! we must be equal my friends! Look at your game cases, and what do you see? if you're like me, you see Melee AND Brawl.
Yea, I want them to co-exist to, hopefully we can start the first step towards that in this thread, But when I say co-exist, I mean.. Existing without any hostility. Not existing as one. I dont think it can happen due to the nature of the two games being so different.

Zodiac

Smash Master
The arguments seem like they are started by the immature people on BOTH sides who cant keep from posting things they know will get the others heated. Posting things such as THINGS THAT ARE MORE TECHNICAL THAN BRAWL for instance is an idiotic move on the melee players part as an example while brawl players seem to think their game is superior. Dont get me wrong i think melee is the better game and requires more skill but i wouldnt post something that would intentionally get on brawlers bad sides. Self control doesnt seem that big around here lately IMO
That thread is really a big joke, Understand that smash boards is the kind of place filled with dumb jokes to laugh at such as that one. Its not something anyone(Most people anyway) take seriously.

Zodiac

Smash Master
you all need to stfu, you neglected ssb64 and now you are gonna cry when it's happening to melee?
ROFL ROFL and some more ROFL, smash64's scene wasnt no where near as huge as melee's is now, there wasnt much that could be done, this time though, we can do a lot.

meaning, most of us weren't around for smash64's demise our even its competitive scene.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
you all need to stfu, you neglected ssb64 and now you are gonna cry when it's happening to melee?
Guh? O_o' Well this arguement is certainly new... I understand what this guy is saying though. Melee did quickly decrease the number of people who played the original competitively. With that being said, the number of competitive Melee players will more than likely never reach each its old numbers and maybe that's just natural with most games that get sequels. For example, Star Craft's competitive community is already small and I can almost guarentee that it'll almost be halved by Star Craft 2 unless it completely sucks (which seems very unlikely given Blizzard's track record).

Maybe the question should be how do you keep the current competitve Melee players interested in Melee? (I kind of already answered that question in another post, heh.)

N355

Smash Apprentice
I play Brawl. I don't hate Melee. I acknowledge Melee as the better game whole-heartedly. It's just that no one I know plays it anymore, and the majortiy of the scene plays Brawl now. I play Smash to play it with others, so I go where the community goes. I am sure that is how most Smashers think.

But I will never call Brawl the better game, cause it just isn't. I get tired of Brawl already if I play for a while, I wasn't tired of Melee even at the release of Brawl. There was just always something new to learn.
I feel the same exact way. And when I try to tell a friend of mine why I think melee is better he just thinks I am being dumb. I tell him that melee has depth and the speed is a great part of the game. I said I think most people would choose to play melee over brawl if they first started playing smash based on the gameplay. I think most people would prefer fast paced action packed gameplay over the slower gampeplay of brawl. Brawl isn't as competitive as melee, and this is what sakurai wanted. He doesn't want smash to be competitive but he has to realize no matter how much it gets dumbed down it will always be competitive, and there will always be hidden techniques found, there's nothing he can do to change that and he should just give the people what they want and make one more game that takes the best things from melee and brawl.

kirbyownz26

Smash Rookie
Look melee and brawl are differnt on the outside new stage's, players, story line, ect. but on the inside they are the same. There both a 4-player fighting game with a most of the same players, same fans, same controls, and moves.there is the same end goal so let's stop fighting about the same games.

p.s sorry if worng there is the garmer i suck at spelling

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I prefer Melee to Brawl

I prefer Smash 64 to Brawl

But i like Brawl.

What is wrong with this? :S

Reyairia

Smash Champion
The reason why Brawlers are coming to dislike you guys is because you guys tend to be immature over the whole thing. Just because Brawl places more emphasis and gives slower characters a chance at becoming high tiers or least useable does not make it worse or any less deep. It's also no less deep just because it isn't Melee 2.0 - which people have been warning you about since the first demos came out - also Brawl has not been out enough time to find as many techniques. I'm sure people complained about the same things you have when Melee first came out as well.

The Brawlers when they argue for Brawl are more open minded and say "well, let's give it a chance. I mean, as a new game that isn't Melee 2.0 clearly the gap between competitive and casuals are smaller..." and so on, there's more logic.
Meanwhile a good deal of you here just realized that it wasn't Melee 2.0 and just screamed "OMG HOW DARE U SAKURAI RUIN UR OWN SERIES EVEN IF THIS WAS ALWAYS HOW YOU WANTED IT TO BE AND COMPETITIVE PLAYING WAS AN INVENTION BY THE FANS TO BEGIN WITH. OMG A NOOB BEAT ME EVEN IF RIGHT NOW I'M ALSO A NOOB AS WE'VE BEEN PLAYING ABOUT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME *bawl bawl bawl*" (Ironically, you're also the ones that go PLAY TO WIN PLAY TO WIN PLAY TO WIN, and yet now you're complaining about cheapness and noob tactics)

We've tried dealing with you guys but sorry, we kinda got sick of putting up with your "BRAWL SUCKS COMPARED TO MELEE." :ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom