• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
You CAN rebuild the file in SmashBox. However, I found a small bug in the code that may prevent you from changing some textures. Stage and character files would not be affected by this. I'll test it out and let you know.
Really? I guess I am just not sure how to do that, I can open my common5, but I can only find stock and stage pictures, I cannot find the actual CSP locations

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Really? I guess I am just not sure how to do that, I can open my common5, but I can only find stock and stage pictures, I cannot find the actual CSP locations
Because those are compressed inside of it.

There are msbin files (I think, may not be msbin) inside that need to be lz77ex ed to be viewable.

It only decompresses it at the beginning so yeah.

Kryal

Smash Ace
New version.

I've confirmed that texture replacing works in common files. However, CSPs aren't supported yet. I haven't really touched the common files until now, so I need to do more work on them.

lavamage

Smash Ace
New version.

I've confirmed that texture replacing works in common files. However, CSPs aren't supported yet. I haven't really touched the common files until now, so I need to do more work on them.
Great! I can't wait!

I am surprised that your program hasn't gotten more attention, it works amazingly well!

Because those are compressed inside of it.

There are msbin files (I think, may not be msbin) inside that need to be lz77ex ed to be viewable.

It only decompresses it at the beginning so yeah.
ohh, are they the files located in char_bust_tex_Iz77 and called Type1[0], Type2[2] ect?

thanks for the information

timothyung

Smash Ace
Kryal, I used 0.54 to replace a texture in common5.pac. That's the handicap texture. It didn't freeze when going into the CSS, the texture works, but it freezes when I go to the stage select screen. Is it a bug?

Kryal

Smash Ace
Kryal, I used 0.54 to replace a texture in common5.pac. That's the handicap texture. It didn't freeze when going into the CSS, the texture works, but it freezes when I go to the stage select screen. Is it a bug?
Hmm. I haven't encountered any freezing in any of the modes/menus. Did you use a rebuilt ISO?

carlpie

Smash Cadet
any particular reason this program won't open -anything-?

Did I need any files in the folder other than Readme and Smashbox?

here's what happens when I click open on any .bbres, .pac, .pcs, ect.

Hoden

Smash Rookie
i have the same error as carlpie

can anyone upload version 0.51?

camelot

Smash Ace
Hey Kryal, how hard would it be to get the program to work with replacing sound effects (the ones in smashbros_sound.brsar)? Right now you can open the .brsar, and look at the files, but nothing other than that.

Replacing sound effects would be pretty cool... like Mario/Fox's voices (I especially liked those more in Melee), and some hit sound effects (the "THWACK!" from Mario's f-air instantly comes to mind).

Kryal

Smash Ace
0.53b works fine for me - though I'd like to use the latest...
Okay, it has NOTHING to do with permissions. It has to do with the Managed DirectX 9 assemblies. I was under the assumption that the .Net framework came with these, but it doesn't. The Managed DirectX assemblies come with the DirectX 9 End-User-Runtime. I should have realized this, because I've started including DirectX capabilities into the program.

I'm not very far along with the DX9 stuff, so I'm not sure if I will include it in the next release. You can, however, download the latest DX9 runtimes from Microsoft HERE.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Hey Kryal, how hard would it be to get the program to work with replacing sound effects (the ones in smashbros_sound.brsar)? Right now you can open the .brsar, and look at the files, but nothing other than that.
It's on the list! There are so many other things to do right now that I haven't had much time for it...

carlpie

Smash Cadet
Well thanks for clearing up the DirectX problem, I'm glad to find a program that actually works for editing Common files correctly (SSBBinsert/ARC hate me ;_; ) and the 0.53b hasn't had the common bugs fixed yet, so I'll be glad to use the latest version and not watch my Wii freeze on the strap screen :3

Hoden

Smash Rookie
hmm i Have Vista 64bit with the newest Direct X 10 and i cant start the v. 0.54 :(

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
One small request if you wouldn't mind, Kryal: is to be able to export and choose what paint file you'd like to export. EX- PNG, TGA, JPG?

Because I know that there are some bugs that come from SMBOX so I sometimes use ASH once again but ASH only uses TGA so I was wondering for that answer. It won't matter if you say yes or no, but I'd like an answer. THX

-Wii hacker, Power.

Kryal

Smash Ace
One small request if you wouldn't mind, Kryal: is to be able to export and choose what paint file you'd like to export. EX- PNG, TGA, JPG?
PNG and TIFF are the most flexible formats when it comes to transparency/palettes. Jpeg is lossy, and .Net doesn't have TGA support built-in. I was waiting to see what kind of response I would get with these formats and go from there, and I haven't had any requests for them until now. I'll add them into the next version, and TGA will have to wait until I build a wrapper for it.

Because I know that there are some bugs that come from SMBOX so I sometimes use ASH once again...
Noo! If there are bugs tell me so I can fix them!

Kryal

Smash Ace
hmm i Have Vista 64bit with the newest Direct X 10 and i cant start the v. 0.54 :(
I'll be removing dependency on Managed DirectX 9 in favor of SlimDX. That way, I can package the dll files with the program (as much as I don't like to) and avoid problems like these. That may be a while though, until I can get the audio and 3d part finished.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
For some reason my mewtwo's mouth went oddly colored when using this. I'll try ashing it quickly as well. other than that this program works great! :D

carlpie

Smash Cadet
When using this on Common3.pac I would select the desired texture, export it to PNG, edit and save the PNG, and right-click Replace on the old file in Smashbox and use the new PNG, I would proceed to stick the newly saved Common3.pac into my SD card but it just causes a freeze because the file size is invalid (confirmed by SSBBExtract), thus I am reduced to using a hex editor to use my texture hacks.

Am I using Smashbox incorrectly or is this a fault with the program? It should replace the files with a correct file size in these .Brres packages right? o_O

Kryal

Smash Ace
When using this on Common3.pac I would select the desired texture, export it to PNG, edit and save the PNG, and right-click Replace on the old file in Smashbox and use the new PNG, I would proceed to stick the newly saved Common3.pac into my SD card but it just causes a freeze because the file size is invalid (confirmed by SSBBExtract), thus I am reduced to using a hex editor to use my texture hacks.

Am I using Smashbox incorrectly or is this a fault with the program? It should replace the files with a correct file size in these .Brres packages right? o_O
Okay, a few things. I found that there is yet another quirk in the ARC files that I overlooked (and only appears in this file). So, fixed that. Also, the Common3 file is a little special. It looks like a normal PAC but it's actually a PCS. I had to save it as a PCS file and rename it to Common3.pac for it to work.

The next update will fix this.

Kryal

Smash Ace
New version! Have tested item textures in Common3 and CSPs in Common5. Added more image formats as requested. See top post.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Awesome job! Thanks a ton for adding the CSPs! I am trying it out now and it seems to be working 100%, Thanks A TON :)

EDIT: replacing CSPs works very well, but when I try to save the Common5 again, it ends up saving to a size of 6,851 KB as opposed to the original 11,919 KB, and the program crashes soon after. I am going to guess it is a problem with the CSP, however, I am not sure. I extracted a kirby CSP, replaced it, and then it crashed. Then I tried simply extracting the picture and replacing it with the picture I extracted, and the program crashed again while saving. I am running windows XP if that makes a difference

Kryal

Smash Ace
replacing CSPs works very well, but when I try to save the Common5 again, it ends up saving to a size of 6,851 KB as opposed to the original 11,919 KB, and the program crashes soon after.
Looks like a chunk of the file went missing somehow, and I can't reproduce it. I went crazy and started replacing random textures with things I shouldn't, and no error.

If we look at the current error, it won't really tell us how the file got that way... Try restoring the original file and change the textures again. If you get an error send me a screen shot.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Looks like a chunk of the file went missing somehow, and I can't reproduce it. I went crazy and started replacing random textures with things I shouldn't, and no error.

If we look at the current error, it won't really tell us how the file got that way... Try restoring the original file and change the textures again. If you get an error send me a screen shot.

well, I extracted a brand spankin' new common5_en from my Brawl iso, went in, extracted Mario's first texture, and replaced it with the same one. I went to save the file as a new common5, but no dice. I don't get an error message, the program simply stops responding. Is there a specific file type I should be using? I have tried both .png and .gif neither seems to work.

However, if I simply save the file, and not try to create a new common5, it takes a good minute, but it does save and it works fine.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
This program works great but there one thing that i can't understand. and that every time i make a a texture hax on one of Kirby's hat and i go too use his ability it freezes. I'm not sure if this happen on every character because so far i'm only experiencing this on snake when i try to use his nades.

Kryal

Smash Ace
well, I extracted a brand spankin' new common5_en from my Brawl iso, went in, extracted Mario's first texture, and replaced it with the same one. I went to save the file as a new common5, but no dice. I don't get an error message, the program simply stops responding. Is there a specific file type I should be using? I have tried both .png and .gif neither seems to work.

However, if I simply save the file, and not try to create a new common5, it takes a good minute, but it does save and it works fine.
Question then. Where are you saving the file to and how? Are you saving it to your HDD, or the SD card? If the program becomes unresponsive but gives no error, it's still working. Check the process monitor to confirm this. I'm doing exactly the same thing you are. I get some hanging when I save but not over 30 seconds, even on an older computer running XP.

Do you have .Net framework 3.5 or 3.5 SP1?

Kryal

Smash Ace
This program works great but there one thing that i can't understand. and that every time i make a a texture hax on one of Kirby's hat and i go too use his ability it freezes. I'm not sure if this happen on every character because so far i'm only experiencing this on snake when i try to use his nades.
I just tested this and didn't get any freezing. I changed kirby's snake hat textures without problems. Make sure the texture is the same size and format when you replace it. Also, if it's a paletted texture use the same number of colors as the original palette.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
The weird thing is it's the grenades thats are causing the problem like i before added a texture on the nades same format and everything and when i tried to use his attack it froze on me. I've redone my whole texture many times and it still occurs. I have a custom CSP for it and also have a regular kirby texture on that same one i'm wondering if thats the problem. I could try to upload the texture and have u look it over to see if the problem is still occurring but thats up too u.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Thank you lavamage and sonic master for the reports! An update is out that addresses these problems.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Can Common5 editing be used with the SD loader? It freezes when I try to load the CSS.
Yes, it can. Your common 5 has to be named 'Common5.pac', omitting the '_en' part. If you are experiencing issues, please note which texture(s) you are replacing. You can also remove/rename the common5 file to make sure that it's the one freezing the game.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Question then. Where are you saving the file to and how? Are you saving it to your HDD, or the SD card? If the program becomes unresponsive but gives no error, it's still working. Check the process monitor to confirm this. I'm doing exactly the same thing you are. I get some hanging when I save but not over 30 seconds, even on an older computer running XP.

Do you have .Net framework 3.5 or 3.5 SP1?

I was about to answer, but it seems like you have fixed all the problems so far, awesome job!

Works 100% and the progress bar fixes a lot of issues. Fantastic job!

(Now I need to figure out how to remove the pink backgrounds on Paint.net :p)

Kryal

Smash Ace
(Now I need to figure out how to remove the pink backgrounds on Paint.net :p)
If you save the image as a png or tiff, the background will be transparent. The pink is used as a transparency indicator so you can tell how it will affect the texture in-game. I haven't seen exported textures do this though, they come out black or transparent, but not pink...

Top Bottom