• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox Q&A and Help Thread

Captain Kwark

Smash Apprentice
Okay so I'm trying to put the collision objects on one of the colored blocks on the Mario Kart stage. But the camera never starts at the blocks, but with the racetrack. Here is what I did:

Using model editor:
1st attempt: stageposition bone Translation X: -500 Z: -500 (didn't work)
2nd attempt: StgKart00 TopN bone Translation X: 500 Z: 500 (didn't work)

What am I doing wrong?

KentaZX

Smash Rookie
does anyone know how to get a smashball texture to work in the game properly or even know how to make one? i have a friend of mine made the smash ball pics but i need help putting it together to work in the game. if theres a thread about that already then can you pass me that link? if there isnt then can someone help me out? i used brawl box to make the texture item but when i turned the game on and go on training mode to test it out, it only shows the original smashball..

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
does anyone know how to get a smashball texture to work in the game properly or even know how to make one? i have a friend of mine made the smash ball pics but i need help putting it together to work in the game. if theres a thread about that already then can you pass me that link? if there isnt then can someone help me out? i used brawl box to make the texture item but when i turned the game on and go on training mode to test it out, it only shows the original smashball..
Did you rename the Common3_en.pac to Common3.pac and out it in pf>System?

Razanak7

Smash Ace
I can't figure out how to hex out stage parts. I can do characters just fine, but stages don't seem to work. I'm using the KC/MM method.

Is there something different that needs to be done for stages?

can you make a 2D charcter in brawl box because i was thinking of a mega man hack using his 8-bit sprites as a charecter
How come every answer I've seen for this question is about hexing and vertices and stuff? Why not just scale the character's X scale to 0?

So I'm trying to replace the Advanced Wars tank with a 2D png that is opaque and has a white background and <120 colors, but ingame it takes ages to load, and when it finally does, i get a huge square image with what looks to be a pallette on it? What am I doing wrong?
From what I hear, semi-transparent textures will not work. Try making it completely visible.

fireking220

Smash Rookie
It seems that whenever I replace a model and he gets grabbed and thrown this happens, a buch of wierd triangles or w/e appears and the model dissapears until it jumps.

any idea whats causing it?

The model I replaced is Deoxy's btw

Also I have another question, I managed to fix the running glitch with the snapback effect and when his animation is finished he slows down and then speeds up again. It looks fine in Brawlbox though. Any ideas?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
It seems that whenever I replace a model this happens when he gets grabbed and thrown this happens

Odds are there's somthing wrong with his ThrowN bone. My personal (totally unprofessional, and not at all based on fact) theory is that the game is placing polygons on the camera, causing those messed up graphical glitches.

You are probably editing a model with less bones than what you're replacing, right?

fireking220

Smash Rookie
Odds are there's somthing wrong with his ThrowN bone. My personal (totally unprofessional, and not at all based on fact) theory is that the game is placing polygons on the camera, causing those messed up graphical glitches.

You are probably editing a model with less bones than what you're replacing, right?
Deoxys has 34 bones and the green alloy has 34 bones so kind of. I'll take a look at the ThrowN bone now.

EDIT: the throwN doesn't move at all during its thrown animations

EDIT2: tried replacing the thrownB from another charcater, no dice still

Bero

Smash Journeyman
fireking220 , how did you manage to fix animation?
I only want to know that...

I renamed TransN to HipN in animation , and of course it didn't work.
What bone do I have to rename in animation?

I can't help you because I also have same problem of your picture...

KentaZX

Smash Rookie
Did you rename the Common3_en.pac to Common3.pac and out it in pf>System?
yea i did and that didnt change anything, but i found out how to get the texture working anyways.

but thanks for answering though. do you know where i could find a LOT of those smash ball textures? cant seem to find even a few...

fireking220

Smash Rookie
fireking220 , how did you manage to fix animation?
I only want to know that...

I renamed TransN to HipN in animation , and of course it didn't work.
What bone do I have to rename in animation?

I can't help you because I also have same problem of your picture...
If ur talking about the run animation, I renamed TransN, XRot, and YRot.

Bero

Smash Journeyman
Thanks !
I thought I had to rename all bones.
But , in this example , how do I have to rename TransN ( in animation , of course) ?
I don't have idea...
If you answer , I will stop asking question one-sidedly.

fireking220

Smash Rookie
Thanks !
I thought I had to rename all bones.
But , in this example , how do I have to rename TransN ( in animation , of course) ?
I don't have idea...
If you answer , I will stop asking question one-sidedly.
ur trying to do this on kirby with metas model correct? In that case find the bone index of the TransN, XRot, and YRot (I didnt use YRot) and then finnd the same bone indexes in meta's file. Rename them appropietly.

for example lets say in kirbys file TransN is 5. U go over and find bone index 5 in metas file. and name that bone TransN.

Razanak7

Smash Ace
It seems that whenever I replace a model and he gets grabbed and thrown this happens, a buch of wierd triangles or w/e appears and the model dissapears until it jumps.

Check the moveset, I had a similar problem with Meta Ridley. The event 18000100: 0-6 made his feet do the same thing. Removing it has no effect on the character, so give that a try.

Also I have another question, I managed to fix the running glitch with the snapback effect and when his animation is finished he slows down and then speeds up again. It looks fine in Brawlbox though. Any ideas?
Keyframe every frame. It may take a while, but it does work.

Bero

Smash Journeyman
ur trying to do this on kirby with metas model correct? In that case find the bone index of the TransN, XRot, and YRot (I didnt use YRot) and then finnd the same bone indexes in meta's file. Rename them appropietly.

for example lets say in kirbys file TransN is 5. U go over and find bone index 5 in metas file. and name that bone TransN.
Thank you very much ! I'll try it later.
If I can fix my animation properly , I will show my character.
Anyway , thanks.

fireking220

Smash Rookie
Also I have another question. I dont know if this will be done in Brawlbox or not but how will we give alloys dodging moves?

Razanak7

Smash Ace
Does anyone here know how to remove stage parts? I need to get rid of the platforms in Skyworld for a stage I'm making.

As you can see, they're a bit intrusive where they are. I got the collisions (kind of) gone, but I can't seem to get rid of the platforms themselves.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11...TGPALUTENA.PAC

Also I have another question. I dont know if this will be done in Brawlbox or not but how will we give alloys dodging moves?
It can't be done, but you can make something similar in PSA. I won't go into details, since it would be an @$$load of work.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Does anyone here know how to remove stage parts? I need to get rid of the platforms in Skyworld for a stage I'm making.

*snip*

As you can see, they're a bit intrusive where they are. I got the collisions (kind of) gone, but I can't seem to get rid of the platforms themselves.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11...TGPALUTENA.PAC

It can't be done, but you can make something similar in PSA. I won't go into details, since it would be an @$$load of work.
Seems like you got yourself a 404 Error there. I'd like to help, but with a 404 I can't :U

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
sorry for double post but reeeeeeeeaaalllyy need help

When i try to export the scene data in a TvC Stage, i get an error saying Illegal paths. and it doesnt do it. why?

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.HasIllegalCharacters(String[] str)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at BrawlLib.SSBB.ResourceNodes.ResourceNode.Export(String outPath)
at BrawlBox.GenericWrapper.OnExport(String outPath, Int32 filterIndex)
at BrawlBox.GenericWrapper.Export()
at BrawlBox.GenericWrapper.ExportAction(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
BrawlBox
Assembly Version: 0.63.3671.35544
Win32 Version: 0.63.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Public/Downloads/BrawlBox_v0.63b/BrawlBox.exe
BrawlLib
Assembly Version: 0.10.3671.35544
Win32 Version: 0.10.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Public/Downloads/BrawlBox_v0.63b/BrawlLib.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Design
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Design/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Design.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
@luigiman: odds are that the scene data is simply not compatible. This is really not surprising considering BrawlBox is made specifically to edit Brawl.

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
I'm attempting to create a 2d stage using the tutorial provided by Kurobit, however every time I load it in game the texture is way too big. I tried scaling the bones of Soldier and Top N which made it show up proper size in BrawlBox however it still loads up to it's full size in game. Is there anything else I should be scaling to do this? Or is there another way of going about it? Thx in advance for anyone who helps XD

EDIT: I ended up just putting space around the image and increasing it's size to solve the problem, but if there was another way I could've done this I'm still curious to know XD

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
sorry for double post but reeeeeeeeaaalllyy need help

When i try to export the scene data in a TvC Stage, i get an error saying Illegal paths. and it doesnt do it. why?

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

[Big Error Code]
Post error messages in the BrawlBox Official thread. Kryal's the one who knows what to do with them. But don't bother if its about a model from another game, since BrawlBox wasn't made for those.

guzzleboy478

Smash Rookie
I have an unused bone in a project that I'm working on right now, and by unused I mean it doesn't affect any polygons when I resize it or change the position. Can I make it connect to one?

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
Wow. Stage collision, model replacing, custom animations, this is fun to watch.

So let us harken back to a simpler time, my friends, when people complained and asked about much more simpler things than what we have now. :)

I've created a png. picture that I would like to use as a portrait. It has the correct dimensions, (128x160) has transparency, and I like its quality. However, its quality instantly reduces the moment I try to put it in with BrawlBox.

To be more precise, the number of colours in the picture is reduced, and I get blocky, ugly pictures instead. I could click the Recommend button, but it changes from CI8 (portrait format) into RGB583. I wouldn't mind this except that the data size of RGB583 is twice as much of CI8. File size overload = crash = fail.

How do I take all the png. files I've made, and convert them into CI8 and still make them look nice?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

So let us harken back to a simpler time, my friends, when people complained and asked about much more simpler things than what we have now. :)

I've created a png. picture that I would like to use as a portrait. It has the correct dimensions, (128x160) has transparency, and I like its quality. However, its quality instantly reduces the moment I try to put it in with BrawlBox.

To be more precise, the number of colours in the picture is reduced, and I get blocky, ugly pictures instead. I could click the Recommend button, but it changes from CI8 (portrait format) into RGB583. I wouldn't mind this except that the data size of RGB583 is twice as much of CI8. File size overload = crash = fail.

How do I take all the png. files I've made, and convert them into CI8 and still make them look nice?
Sometimes, you have to index an image through The GIMP or Photoshop. The only problem is that indexed images don't use semi-transparency.

Hint: CI4 and CI8 textures use palettes. The palettes may either be in RGB565 format or RGB5A3 format. Only the RGB5A3 format supports transparency; RGB565 has nothing transparent whatsoever.

Razanak7

Smash Ace

Amen. I still remember how happy I was when I made my first texture. :laugh: Good times, good times.

That would be the palette. I'm pretty sure you can just open the CSP with Photoshop, index it, and export the palette. Increasing the MIP level of detail might work too, but that also increases the size. So, try the palette.

Oddly enough, this problem doesn't seem to happen with some characters.

EDIT: Ninja'd by someone who actually knows what they're talking about. XD

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
Waitwaitwaitwait...can I simply go to Indexed in GIMP, change it to 240 colours, save, THAN simply replace it in BrawlBox?

Or do I have to go through CUPASH?

And I think this third question is a summary of all the trouble I've had with portraits. What's the deal with palettes? What are they? I think the definition and uses of a palette is what single-handedly destroys my efforts for CSP making.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Waitwaitwaitwait...can I simply go to Indexed in GIMP, change it to 240 colours, save, THAN simply replace it in BrawlBox?

Or do I have to go through CUPASH?

And I think this third question is a summary of all the trouble I've had with portraits. What's the deal with palettes? What are they? I think the definition and uses of a palette is what single-handedly destroys my efforts for CSP making.
When using The GIMP to index things, one color is subtracted if the image has an Alpha Layer. Therefore, if a custom portrait uses 240 colors and supports transparency, index the texture to 239 colors, since color 240 is transparent.

If you use CUPASH, the portrait has to be a TarGA (.tga) image. You'll also have to lower the colors of the portrait to 72. Lastly, you need to fill all the transparent parts with perfect magenta (#ff00ff), since TarGA images have no Alpha Layer when indexed.

Lastly, any texture that's in CI4 format or CI8 format will be using a palette. Palettes pretty much contain color data for any texture that uses them. If the palettes are changed in any way, the textures that use them will likely get messed up.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
polygon remove the part you want to replace and use a sword glow command via PSA i think that's how he did it
How do I use a swordglow command? Sorry if this should go in the PSA Q&A, but it indirectly relates to Brawlbox. If there is a video tutorial of this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Captain Kwark

Smash Apprentice
Is thera anyway to remove the platforms from the Kid Icarus stage? I've moved the camera to the greek temple on the left and now the platforms are in the way.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
I have an unused bone in a project that I'm working on right now, and by unused I mean it doesn't affect any polygons when I resize it or change the position. Can I make it connect to one?
No.

Is thera anyway to remove the platforms from the Kid Icarus stage? I've moved the camera to the greek temple on the left and now the platforms are in the way.
Use the Polygon Deleter.

Top Bottom